Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Doug Dinsdale posted:

The relationship was great for a long time.

Take my kidney in trade for this pin please. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Ineffiable posted:

Archon got banned and probated for like a month.

For talking about his anime collection.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

al-azad posted:

He should have sent it to the VGA for an official grade. It would have doubled the value to be in a plastic case with a fake number on it.

I wonder how long it'll take until there is (more of) a market in making counterfeit sealed games and selling them to people who won't open them. If you could manage to create a believable Earthbound box and get it rated, even a manifacturing price of like $500 would be less than half of what it would fetch I bet. No one is who buys these ever opens them.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Katana Gomai posted:

I wonder how long it'll take until there is (more of) a market in making counterfeit sealed games and selling them to people who won't open them. If you could manage to create a believable Earthbound box and get it rated, even a manifacturing price of like $500 would be less than half of what it would fetch I bet. No one is who buys these ever opens them.

I fully expect this goes on pretty regularly these days. The people who buy VGA games aren't buying them to play and I doubt the grading folks give too much of a poo poo about accuracy, given that people can send the same game in multiple times and receive vastly different grades. Sounds like the perfect market to start duping collectors in.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

PopeCrunch posted:

Oh hey I have a game boy printer if anyone wants it

I'll bite.

There's been one numerous times at a local flea market priced too high but it was eventually bought. email at b.engineering@live.com (I don't have platinum)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Does anybody have experience hooking an MT-32 up to a modern computer? I'm tempted to pick one up given how cheap they are, but I don't know whether I'd actually be able to use it without digging out one of my old computers.

I swear this real hardware thing is a never-ending journey.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kreeblah posted:

Does anybody have experience hooking an MT-32 up to a modern computer? I'm tempted to pick one up given how cheap they are, but I don't know whether I'd actually be able to use it without digging out one of my old computers.

Just need this and this. Both are what I use and work.

Works just fine in Windows 7 when used with DosBox and a x68000 emulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d2NoXFrpzY

Edit: Oh yeah, there are revisions of the MT-32 that also have just a basic 3.5mm output jack so you could also use a male to male 3.5mm stereo audio cable instead of the 3.5mm to 1/4 phono jacks.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 16, 2012

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Vrikkian posted:

The Legend of Oasis

I'm not buying, reserving but endorsing the game.
It's really good and people should have it in their collection, it's zelda a link to the past in a desert setting basically. GET IT!

edit: oops. Oh well, here you have some content:

Katana Gomai posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

They have been doing it for quite some time.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/sapcomp1.html
That page show someone producing new sealed copies of Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire, one of the most expensive and sought after arcade CDs for the PC-Engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulc9NUQHdco

It's easy to spot the differences if you know what you're looking for but I guess a lot of people have paid a lot more than what they're supposed to. I'd love getting my hand on one of these for around $30 or less. The original is really expensive. Selling for close to $600.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ginga-Fukei-Densetsu-Sapphire-PC-Engine-PCE-Very-Rare-/160918279568
Looking at that auction you don't know if it's the bootleg or real deal though.

The Neo Geo community has also been plagued by bootlegs for years. What's even worse is that people are selling conversions as originals. People have desoldered the original roms from the arcade release from metal slug and soldering them into a home cartridge and then reproduced the manual and cover and cart sticker. Heh, some have even just bought the Japanese cart and put a new sticker on it. I think the japanese cart goes for around $500, the arcade carts for around $100 or so and I've seen the American home cart being sold for $1500. I haven't checked these prices in years so I don't really know what they're worth now though.

Kreeblah posted:

While I don't have one I've read up on it and there are three ways of connecting it to your computer, one is through the old Roland ISA card, the other is connecting it through the joystick/midi port of soundcards or if your motherboard supports it. The last one is to use a n usb to midi dongle.
After this you need to install drivers for it and windows 7 and newer you need to to either use some registry hackery or a program that does it to change your system standard midi out.
Programs like dosbox can get to the mt-32 without changing the registry though.

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 16, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ambitious Spider posted:

Hell yea. It very much has that snes era vibe. The story doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it's told well and the characters are actually likable. It's all over in 25 hours, so it's not a crazy huge time investment either.

Thanks for your input; gonna cop a copy of this game then.

Wow, thanks for this incredible post! Dare I ask what your position was in to know so much cool information and obtain promotional relics that nerds would kill for?

cosmicjim posted:

Hamburglar, do I need to do anything for supplies or cash to get the ball rolling on the snes stuff? I'm not in a hurry, I just wanted to make sure you aren't waiting on me for anything.

Nope, it's cool! I have all the stuff already in my possession so the money is already sent. I sent out a few modded SNES systems already; no rush to send me any money because I am going to be pretty busy next week (Thanksgiving week) so it will be hard for me to mod (hell, even post) for a good week or so.

Which also reminded me I've sent a bunch of free stuff out to people and only one person replied saying they received it which was for the SLG 3000 scanline generator. Did no one else receive their stuff from me or something?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

cosmicjim posted:

Zen and Archon, did you guys get my gifts?

Yes, and thank you so much! Both yours and Hamburglar's gifts came on the same day... it was overwhelming.

Excuse the mess, working on the Wiki; Saoshyant is a taskmaster.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
SARGSS
- Shipping preference: I can deal with anything
- Atari 2600, NES, Super NES, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast
- Action, RPG, Puzzle
- Mega Man 1, Donkey Kong NES, Donkey Kong, Jr. NES, Double Dragon, Sonic 3, Star Wars Arcade 32x, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, or if you're feeling saucy, just go hog wild on whatever you think I should get.

Technowrite fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 16, 2012

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Thanks for the amazing insight and story, Doug. I'm so envious; I learned Japanese with intent on trying to get into translation so your story/career is fascinating to me. :allears:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HKR posted:

So all I have to do to make 45k is grab a programmable NES board, toss a rom on there and stick it in a duck hunt cart and write in sharpie RARE GAME PROTOTYPE?

If it's real then it's valuable but...

- Tengen stole the Nintendo lock out chip code in early- 1988. I have a cat stuck on my lap and can't get up to check my reference books for the exact date but by the summer of 1988 they were selling games without licenses.

- There were only three games released by Tengen under Nintendo license before they broke away. Two of them were released for the holiday 1987 season and the other was very early 1988.

- Atari didn't "acquire" the rights to Tetris until 1988 (in quotes since they kind of got screwed on that one; from everything I've read I think they were negotiating in good faith with people who weren't).

- Tetris was released in May of 1989. If Tengen was working on Tetris at that point it would have been a very early prototype.

- The seller not only doesn't provide any evidence of its authenticity and explicitly requires that any purchasers just trust him. Some kind of chain of ownership would be nice; it wouldn't be definitive but it would go a long way to clearing this up.

So this stinks to high heaven. It's always possible that it's real but there's a microscopically small time where it's remotely conceivable that Tengen would have prepared a build of Tetris for the NES with "Licensed by Nintendo" on it. But it's pretty drat unlikely that it would have happened. Coming on the heals of high profile prototypes selling for that price range sends up all the scam flags.

Edit: Putting it in a Duck Case doesn't help either. That's a handy coincidence that Atari selected one of the cheapest retrogames to put their prototype games in instead of one of their own spare shells. Why isn't this in a licensed RBI Baseball case since they'd have thousands of them sitting around instead of a Duck Hunt cart which they'd have to go out and buy? Could it be because that's actually tough to find thse days and costs about $15 when you can get a pile of Duck Hunt for $.50 each?

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 16, 2012

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Speaking of prototypes, I saw this on ebay a while back:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-P...=p2047675.l2557

An Odyssey 2 with an actual keyboard.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I wonder if his reasoning for pricing it at 45k was "if I make it too cheap, people will realize it's a fake!" :downs:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I hope it's close enough. I'm looking for an rpg type game to play to waste time on. I chose this thread, because my laptop is older and pretty weak. It's one of those acer's with a the AMD c-50 processor and whatever integrated graphics that come with it, so I'm obviously limited to older games here. For instance, it'll run WoW but not very well.

I'm looking for an RPG, or RPG/action hybrid. I'm not really picky, although I prefer slightly grindy games or open ended ones that I can just mindlessly play at times without being forced to stay on quests to continue the story. I've gotten about tired of playing older ROMS like FF6, Mario RPG, etc, so something slightly newer along the lines of Fable, Morrowind, KOTOR which I all already have. I'm actually enjoying KOTOR but am still on the first planet and stuck in one of those "have to go on tasks to advance the story" funks that turn me off when I'm not in the mood. I realize most people may feel the opposite but I'm weird.

What about Diablo II? I've read it's basically a get items and weapon grindfest. I'm not always this narrow minded about games, but lately I've just wanted to kill time and turn my mind off and something simple like kill monsters, get loot is particularly appealing.

I apologize if I'm not articulating myself well in this post as I've been up for hours without sleep.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Cosmicjim, I may have just put a bid or two on your DQ IV, River City Ransom, and Battle Toads/Double Dragon auctions. Am I going to get them? Nope! I don't have insane amounts of money. But I bid nevertheless.

EDIT: It also amuses me that there's a game called "Color a Dinosaur".

Vrikkian fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 16, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

BlazinLow305 posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread

You were probably looking for this one, instead.

zenintrude posted:

Saoshyant is a taskmaster.

:whip:

Your contribution's much appreciated to goon retrogaming history.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

You were probably looking for this one, instead.

That's perfect, thanks!

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Vrikkian posted:

EDIT: It also amuses me that there's a game called "Color a Dinosaur".

Fun fact: the game that kicked off Tommy Tallarico's illustrious career

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Wotalt posted:

I'll bite.

There's been one numerous times at a local flea market priced too high but it was eventually bought. email at b.engineering@live.com (I don't have platinum)

Shot you a reply

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Which also reminded me I've sent a bunch of free stuff out to people and only one person replied saying they received it which was for the SLG 3000 scanline generator. Did no one else receive their stuff from me or something?

I posted back on page 21 I got DKC 2 and how nice your kitten stationary was and I stand by it! That's some nice stationary!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Was browsing my really old Youtube favorites, and remembered that this exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8vz186pjY0

It's certainly something. :v: It's also one giant spoiler for FF4, but if you haven't played FF4 by now, I feel bad for you, son.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Just need this and this. Both are what I use and work.

Works just fine in Windows 7 when used with DosBox and a x68000 emulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d2NoXFrpzY

Edit: Oh yeah, there are revisions of the MT-32 that also have just a basic 3.5mm output jack so you could also use a male to male 3.5mm stereo audio cable instead of the 3.5mm to 1/4 phono jacks.

Oh, awesome. That's significantly easier than I was expecting. Now I just need to decide which model of MT-32 to buy. Thanks!

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
I'd say whichever you can find cheap. If you are to use it primarily for PC-games you can look through this list.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MT-32-compatible_computer_games

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sexy Slippers posted:

I posted back on page 21 I got DKC 2 and how nice your kitten stationary was and I stand by it! That's some nice stationary!

I somehow missed that; my bad! Enjoy!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I'm gonna make some of you cringe from this photo but here's my gamestop haul:

Disc quality ranges from "looks fine" to "holy poo poo did a dog mate with that?"

Gotta go dig my beatmania controller out of storage and buy a bunch of blank DVD cases.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

HKR posted:

Disc quality ranges from "looks fine" to "holy poo poo did a dog mate with that?"

Gotta go dig my beatmania controller out of storage and buy a bunch of blank DVD cases.

:barf:

I warned you.

Rygar is good and you should enjoy it.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Hey, Kessen! Such an underrated series.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HKR posted:

My second package didn't even include the handful of generic cases they packed into my original order. I did get a case for the Art of Fighting Anthology, though.

I also haven't heard back from Gamestop about their screwing up my order.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So I decided that I wanted to have my closet back so I could put clothes in it. The problem was that half of it was stuffed floor to ceiling with old pc game boxes.

:siren: GORE POST AHEAD :siren:

This is a small pile of them.

This is an even smaller pile.

Not sure what to do with these boxes.

I took all the papers and cds and stuff out and just put them in smaller boxes. Most of these pc games came in comically oversized boxes with just a cd sleeve in it and I don't know why.

Kind of felt bad to ruin all those perfectly good boxes but I could really use the room.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mega Man Legends had a PC release? :psyduck:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Overbite posted:

So I decided that I wanted to have my closet back so I could put clothes in it. The problem was that half of it was stuffed floor to ceiling with old pc game boxes.

:siren: GORE POST AHEAD :siren:

This is a small pile of them.

This is an even smaller pile.

Not sure what to do with these boxes.

I took all the papers and cds and stuff out and just put them in smaller boxes. Most of these pc games came in comically oversized boxes with just a cd sleeve in it and I don't know why.

Kind of felt bad to ruin all those perfectly good boxes but I could really use the room.

System Shock 2 box will net you a pretty penny probably.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HKR posted:

Unlike the haul from a couple months ago which came from their warehouse, Gamestop has pretty much recalled all of the PS2 games that weren't destroyed. You guys are basically getting the refuse from the bins that have been thumbed through for the past year or two.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

Unlike the haul from a couple months ago which came from their warehouse, Gamestop has pretty much recalled all of the PS2 games that weren't destroyed. You guys are basically getting the refuse from the bins that have been thumbed through for the past year or two.

On the other hand, they're $1 and there's some pretty good games available.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Yep, and I think I pointed that out when I noticed that the PS2 stuff had suddenly gotten even cheaper and there was even more available. I don't have any complaint beyond sending me the wrong games when it comes to getting this stuff for $1.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

The Orange Mage posted:

Mega Man Legends had a PC release? :psyduck:

Yep! That's how I first played it, with this baby

It was awkward binding face buttons to rotate, but it worked okay enough. It even included a Windows 98 desktop theme.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

The Milkman posted:

Yep! That's how I first played it, with this baby

It was awkward binding face buttons to rotate, but it worked okay enough. It even included a Windows 98 desktop theme.

Oh man, I've still got my Sidewinder around here somewhere, I should hook that thing up, play some... I actually don't remember what I played with it, I think emulated games the most.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Milkman posted:

Cool people used the Master of Orion 2 theme. :colbert:

Even after I got rid of it I used their start up screen until I switched to Windows XP...

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
My Gamestop haul also came today:

I already own Japanese and US copies of Ys VI, but I got this copy so I could find a good home for it among my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Tobaccrow posted:

My Gamestop haul also came today:

I already own Japanese and US copies of Ys VI, but I got this copy so I could find a good home for it among my friends.

Please... stop... posting... these :negative:

• Locked thread