Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosferatu Man
Nov 10, 2008
why would that be awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

alg posted:

I hope in 30 years we still have records and people just obsess over a Dave Matthews album instead of Velvet Underground. That would be awesome.

Beck, Thurston Moore, and Tortoise covered a Yanni album.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Surfingelectrode posted:

Beck, Thurston Moore, and Tortoise covered a Yanni album.

Beck :allears:

I really like some of the poo poo he does with the record club but seriously, are we going to get an official release of him playing his songs from the Song Reader project? I really hate to think that there are published songs written by Beck that will never be played/recorded by him.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

alg posted:

I hope in 30 years we still have records and people just obsess over a Dave Matthews album instead of Velvet Underground. That would be awesome.

You're the worst guy.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
people already obsess over dave matthews records

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

stay depressed posted:

people already obsess over dave matthews records

You mean someone besides 19 year old college girls in the late 90s?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Those People grew up to be Adult Dave Matthews Fans. they exist. it's scary.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I work with one of them. She's very nice but was profoundly unamused by my attempts to throw a party commemorating the day when the DMB tour bus dumped all their (literal) poo poo off of a bridge onto a tour boat passing underneath.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I dated a girl once who was a huge DMB fan. She went to every show and never stopped talking about it. It was kind of annoying, but she was really hot so it evened out.

They did have some pretty sweet tracks on the first album though, if you ask me. I would buy that album on vinyl.

worthless insect
Aug 12, 2012

Just picked up Eeek! - Move Real Slow which is on my buddy's record label Kingfisher Bluez. It's really awesome fun, catchy punk, the second track "Think About It" has a really cool nod to Joy Division in it.

http://eeek.bandcamp.com/ check em out

Also, I picked up a Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers comp. which is pretty drat awesome.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
At my cousin's wedding last month the guestbook was a DMB 2xLP. I went up to sign it and thought "Oh, that's a cool idea...wait, god dammit"

DMB plays two shows near my hometown every summer and it's the worst thing ever. It completely fucks up the highway and the entire area surrounding the venue. Drunk high school kids god drat everywhere.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

stay depressed posted:

nobody is buying that to improve the listening experience

I guess I used the wrong set of words. I've just never been tempted to buy huge boxsets of any format. I live in a confined space.

I'm really tempted to pick up the upcoming live album by Unwound, but I'm not sure if my wallet can take yet another blow. http://www.buyolympia.com/q/Item=unwound-live-leaves

dutch wife abc fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 17, 2012

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I don't think any one city hates DMB more than Chicago. Crappy band further dirtying our dirty river :mad:

(Excepting wriggleyville of course but gently caress them.)

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Haven't Dave Matthews Band CDs always come with those obnoxious little merch catalogs? I know they were often in there in my days of buying used CDs at a record store. I mean poo poo, not even Kiss include loving mini merch catalogs with their CDs, and I don't think other merch-whoring groups like ICP do, either. I always think of them as the go-to band for people who thought Burning Man sounded wicked in the late 90s but never actually went.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Well my order from Amazon Canada for the super cheap Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness got canceled :smith:

However, I visited my mother today and she found some old records that she gave me...

There's a lot of surface noise on Sgt. Pepper's, but still very listenable. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the other two yet.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

eggsovereasy posted:

Well my order from Amazon Canada for the super cheap Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness got canceled :smith:

Same.

Two more records:

The Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic sealed tape
The Residents - Eskimo
Sonic Youth - Smart Bar 1985

I'm pretty new to the Residents, and a local store just got a ton of their albums in mint condition. Which ones should I check out?

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Surfingelectrode posted:

Same.

Two more records:

The Residents - Eskimo

I'm pretty new to the Residents, and a local store just got a ton of their albums in mint condition. Which ones should I check out?

Third Reich N Roll and the Commercial Album first. Then maybe Duck Stab and Fingerprince. I like all the Mole trilogy albums too (Mark of the Mole, Tunes of Twso Cities, and Big Bubble), but a lot of people aren't into the 80s synth sounds for some reason. Big Bubble is my favorite out of those even though apparently its reviled by most other fans. Honestly all of their output from the 70s and 80s is excellent. I've never seen any of the 90s albums on vinyl.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Third Reich N Roll and the Commercial Album first. Then maybe Duck Stab and Fingerprince. I like all the Mole trilogy albums too (Mark of the Mole, Tunes of Twso Cities, and Big Bubble), but a lot of people aren't into the 80s synth sounds for some reason. Big Bubble is my favorite out of those even though apparently its reviled by most other fans. Honestly all of their output from the 70s and 80s is excellent. I've never seen any of the 90s albums on vinyl.

I picked up Third Reich N Roll last week. That and Eskimo are the only two I've heard. I think the store might have Commercial Album and Fingerprince, so I'll check those out. Thanks!

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Surfingelectrode posted:

Same.

Two more records:

The Residents - Eskimo

Not Available is pretty drat good, and it got a repress recently so your store should have it. See if they have Animal Lover as well, it's probably one of the best of their new albums (though you'll most likely have to buy it used).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

Now you're just being ridiculous.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Now you're just being ridiculous.

Nah, this early promo tape of it I have is more ridiculous:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Not using Dolby NR in 1995, have we all gone mad!

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

eggsovereasy posted:

What happened to that preorder price gaurantee?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I <3 Clouds Taste Metallic.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Bliggers- posted:

What happened to that preorder price gaurantee?

What probably happened is heaps of copies were sold for the cheap price, they went "oh poo poo", then sent out the cancellation email with "Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found it's not available from any of our sources at this time", which is total bullshit (it's a pre-order). Expect it to go back up on the site in a week or so at the normal price.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

Surfingelectrode posted:

I've wanted a copy of Eskimo for years. I've got Meet the Residents and I really love it. I really can't do anything but lie down and get absolutely lost when I listen to it. It's pretty different to their other works, it's actually got a similar approach as Nurse With Wound (only with vocals). It's also got an amusing fake biography on the back of it, as well as a picture of the Beatles with crayfishes for heads.

Pretty much all of their "classics" are worth picking up, especially Duck Stab and Not Avaiable. I really should pick up a bunch of their stuff soon.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

traveling midget posted:

I know I've posted this a bunch, but does anyone want to buy my spare sealed copy of At The Drive-In - Vaya on Half Pink/Half Yellow (Euro/JP)?

This thing refuses to sell. Anyone want it for cheap, or a trade?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

More Residents:

Meet the Residents, Duck Stab, Fingerprince

Commercial Album was gone when I went back. They still have (off the top of my head) Not Available, Mark of the Mole, The Tunes of Two Cities, Title in Limbo, Mole Show, George & James, Vileness Fats, The Big Bubble, Diskomo, and Intermission.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Even if your turntable has a 78 speed you may want to avoid playing 78 RPM records on it. I believe those require a special type of stylus. You can damage your typical stylus trying to play 78s.

Thanks for the info! I think the motor is what stopped working, since everything is getting power and the belt is fine. My mother plans on getting me a new record player for xmas to replace it so this might all work out in the end depending on what she gets :v:

Lestargis
Oct 25, 2005

traveling midget posted:

This thing refuses to sell. Anyone want it for cheap, or a trade?

I'd love to get that, but I'm pretty broke at the moment. How cheap is cheap to you?

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Stuntman posted:

Not Available is pretty drat good, and it got a repress recently so your store should have it.

It has like 15 (I think) extra minutes that were edited out of the original release added to it too!

Surfingelectrode posted:

More Residents:

Commercial Album was gone when I went back. They still have (off the top of my head) Not Available, Mark of the Mole, The Tunes of Two Cities, Title in Limbo, Mole Show, George & James, Vileness Fats, The Big Bubble, Diskomo, and Intermission.

If you have the money buy them all. They're all good. Intermission, Diskomo, Mole Show and George & James would be the non-essential albums though.

I forgot Title in Limbo! That is an amazing album. Its their collaboration with Renaldo & The Loaf who are probably one of the few bands that could be compared to the Residents. Its probably their only release that I'd call "gorgeous". Somehow I found it for $10 a few weeks ago.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

ugh what is going on with vinyl. Code Orange Kids just changed estimated delivery to Jan 08th. FML

edit: this is awesome but lol $25. nope.

http://saddle-creek.com/store/550

alg fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 19, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

alg posted:

ugh what is going on with vinyl. Code Orange Kids just changed estimated delivery to Jan 08th. FML

edit: this is awesome but lol $25. nope.

http://saddle-creek.com/store/550

It's probably Obama's fault. He wants to socialize the pressing plants and take control away from the job creators. Also, his wife killed Twinkies.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

alg posted:

That's weird, I swear deathwish posted pics of that record a week or so ago.

Waiting on the new Converge is killing me. I'm also waiting on the new Saddest Landscape 7" and the reissues of their first two albums. The latter was a kickstarter so obviously it's going to take longer though.

I know someone here was talking about Prawn's album and it looks like topshelf got the records in the other day.

Edit: Yup, here's the COK vinyl off of Tre from deathwish's instagram

Kevar fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 20, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

There's a popmarket sale on the Velvet Underground Mono LP box. I don't know the price because for some reason I have to register and log in to see it (and I'm far too lazy and already in possession of the box set), but I figured that some folks here would want to know.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

CPL593H posted:

There's a popmarket sale on the Velvet Underground Mono LP box. I don't know the price because for some reason I have to register and log in to see it (and I'm far too lazy and already in possession of the box set), but I figured that some folks here would want to know.

$89.99

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

All I want for Christmas is that Flaming Lips King Crimson thing. And nobody has one for anything reasonable, except one guy on eBay selling them for only $10 over retail (who sold out before I could get one).

gently caress me, man.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

traveling midget posted:

All I want for Christmas is that Flaming Lips King Crimson thing. And nobody has one for anything reasonable, except one guy on eBay selling them for only $10 over retail (who sold out before I could get one).

gently caress me, man.

Try calling the Guestroom Records in Bricktown OKC.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Sold out for like 2 weeks. Same as every other B&M that's gotten copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Had a good find at goodwill today:

The picture disc is a Prince / Hall & Oates unofficial release.