Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kastein posted:

And I'm proven wrong yet again. Whoops :doh:

Treadwright doesn't make anything for 15s really anymore and from what I saw last time I shopped around, oversize tires in most of the brands/models I was looking at were either more expensive or not available in a 15. I don't recall which brands I was looking at, unfortunately.

I do know Pitbull Rockers are only available in a few sizes for a 15" rim, along with other offroad specialty tires. Like you said, stock-size tires are all over the place for 15s though.

It might be getting worse, I have no idea. I know my Corvette is on 15s and I can't find poo poo for decent tires...the choices are basically Conti-Pro Contacts or Radial T/As.

But I've started shopping early for the Jeep, for when the OE tires wear down. I'd rather have 16s, because 15s are hit-or-miss on whether they'll clear the calipers or not, but for an extra $250 every time I replace them I'm having a hard time justifying the bigger wheels. I pretty much settled on Duratracs as a good mix of on/off road and snow driving, plus they look good.

33x12.5-R15 is $189
305/70-R16 is $223 but weigh 63 lbs (15s weigh 49)
285/75-R16 is $241

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Godholio posted:

It might be getting worse, I have no idea. I know my Corvette is on 15s and I can't find poo poo for decent tires...the choices are basically Conti-Pro Contacts or Radial T/As.

But I've started shopping early for the Jeep, for when the OE tires wear down. I'd rather have 16s, because 15s are hit-or-miss on whether they'll clear the calipers or not, but for an extra $250 every time I replace them I'm having a hard time justifying the bigger wheels. I pretty much settled on Duratracs as a good mix of on/off road and snow driving, plus they look good.

33x12.5-R15 is $189
305/70-R16 is $223 but weigh 63 lbs (15s weigh 49)
285/75-R16 is $241

If you can find them, rims off a ford crown vic are 16x7 (iirc, might be x8 but I don't think so) and can be had pretty cheap at the junkyard. They will need to be filed/bored out a bit at the center to clear the center hubs on stock XJ axles though.

Filing mine out right now actually, and even with just a regular rat tail file it only takes around 15-20min to open the centerbore up enough to get the axle hub in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've got a JK, and I'll be needing 4.5" backspacing to be close to street legal.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, 5x4.5 is really common, but most stuff uses a much smaller bore.

DixielandDelight
Jul 23, 2012
Alrighty I'll try again.

How do I wire this

to this

Anybody? Bueller?

Or do I need to do something else?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Heatshrink, sealant-lined butt splice terminals (I'd probably use blue color coded ones for that, maybe red if the wires are small enough) and a good ratchet crimper. Then shrink the tubing with a blowtorch, heat gun, or 48575 matches/a lighter and it should be good for a decade.

If you can find a pigtail that'll plug into that connector, use that, but I doubt you'll see one anywhere outside of a specialty shop or online electronics store.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Faerunner posted:

Our XJ has manual locks and windows, power mirrors, auto transmission, I6, and the door panel says the stock tire size is 215/75R15. With the current 30x9.5 15s it has on it, according to the Miata.net tire size calculator it's showing 6.4% slow

For what it's worth my door panel says 215 on it also but the build sheet says it came with 225's. Also 235's barely look legit with a 3 inch lift, 215's will be really silly.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
At least for '97+, 215/75R15 was an unusual tire size. All trim levels Sport and above came with 225/75R15 Goodyear Wrangler RT/S (or the oddball sizes for 16x7" wheels on later Limited/60th trims), so aside from some fleet-special-ordered Sports, only SE trims were available with 215s. I believe most 4WD SEs bumped up to 225.

So aside from the odd RHD mail carrier special or other gubmint vehicle, they're pretty rare.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Put stock fender flares on my XJ and pulled off the wheel spacers.

Tires still stick out about 1/2", Gonna try to find some pizza cutters for my next set. 33x10.50 maybe?

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Put stock fender flares on my XJ and pulled off the wheel spacers.

Tires still stick out about 1/2", Gonna try to find some pizza cutters for my next set. 33x10.50 maybe?

What front bumper is that?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

HexDog posted:

What front bumper is that?

Looks like a stocky to me.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Yep, just stock minus the end caps. A lot of guys trim a bit off each side for approach angle on the corners.

Any suggestions for mud flap solutions for the XJ? I got a fix-it warning for not having any. Not that I'd mind running some, but they need to be detachable so I can remove them on the trails.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

There's a few good ideas and kits in here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1038959

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Philip J Fry posted:

Yep, just stock minus the end caps. A lot of guys trim a bit off each side for approach angle on the corners.

Any suggestions for mud flap solutions for the XJ? I got a fix-it warning for not having any. Not that I'd mind running some, but they need to be detachable so I can remove them on the trails.

Yup this. I haven't gotten around to trimming it yet because I don't want to move the evap canister.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

This 88 Comanche is for sale right by my house! My wife says no :(

It's just like my babby r/c Comanche (with less dents!) gently caress THIS EARTH

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

It's just like my babby r/c Comanche (with less dents!) gently caress THIS EARTH

Holy gently caress life isnt fair.

can you at least get a photo of the RC next to the real one?

:shepface:

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 17, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Buy it and leave it at work. Nobody will even notice it's there!

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Buy it and hide it in the mountains.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

commissargribb posted:

Holy gently caress life isnt fair.

can you at least get a photo of the RC next to the real one?

:shepface:

Please do this.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Anyone have any experience with the Rugged Ridge 4.0 header? I'm switching to an HO non-EGR arrangement when putting the rebuilt '94 engine in a '90 MJ, and the OE '94 header is cracked all to hell and back.

If she changes her tune, let me know and I'll gladly offload a bunch of intact OE MJ (and XJ) parts on you. I need garage space.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Leave your wife for the truck.

Duh.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I suggest you buy it and a rooftop tent bed topper (I've seen em for the MJ), that way you have somewhere to live when she kicks you out.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

kastein posted:

I suggest you buy it and a rooftop tent bed topper (I've seen em for the MJ), that way you have somewhere to live when she kicks you out.

This is the best option. In time she'll come to accept the truck.

Or feed her some BS that you need a truck to start working on whatever projects you talk about around the home.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The good news is that my wife very much wants a Jeep for us as a third vehicle soon (a late model JK). The bad news is that it isn't that MJ. We have a second kid on the way in April so I can't argue much due to daycare costing as much as a second mortgage....I guess. Ugh. I really want that Comanche.

EDIT - I'm going to go by the place tomorrow and give it a test drive.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 17, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What do you have that you can part with to get it?

And where is it located?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Hah! I never thought I'd be rooting against getting a wrangler but there it is. Does it have a bench seat? You could squeeze a kid in there. I pretty much grew up in the middle of a bench seat.

Rhyno posted:

What do you have that you can part with to get it?

And where is it located?

This guy is thinking like a husband.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The good news is that my wife very much wants a Jeep for us as a third vehicle soon (a late model JK). The bad news is that it isn't that MJ. We have a second kid on the way in April so I can't argue much due to daycare costing as much as a second mortgage....I guess. Ugh. I really want that Comanche.

EDIT - I'm going to go by the place tomorrow and give it a test drive.
To be fair, there is no way in hell she'd let you have your definition of a "work truck" on the driveway anyhow.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

InitialDave posted:

To be fair, there is no way in hell she'd let you have your definition of a "work truck" on the driveway anyhow.

Heh, touche my good man.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

OneOverZero posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Rugged Ridge 4.0 header? I'm switching to an HO non-EGR arrangement when putting the rebuilt '94 engine in a '90 MJ, and the OE '94 header is cracked all to hell and back.

Everyone I know recommends the APN header as a 4.0 replacement.

http://www.ineedparts.com/apn-jeep-exhaust-manifold.html

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

What's the best way to get epoxy off?
I self tapped and epoxied my fender flares on and it slid off the clamp and now I have tons of gunk there. I tried sanding it. Ugh.

If worst comes to worst, what's the best way to go about getting color matched paint for the XJ?

As a bonus, visited my dad and got to drive the crossfire.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

As a bonus, visited my dad and got to drive the crossfire.

How is that a bonus?

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Faerunner posted:

How is that a bonus?

Thing has like 24k miles on it and only comes out to drive up and down the freeway at 160mph.

Edit: He wouldn't let me drive the 76 Corvette, though I don't think that thing has moved in like 4 years.

Astryl fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 18, 2012

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Faerunner posted:

How is that a bonus?

Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I broke the plastic connector that joins the kickdown (I guess the proper term is throttle valve) cable to the throttle body on my co-worker's 4.0 Grand Cherokee. Is there any way to jury rig this to work so that I don't need to spend $80 at the dealership to replace the whole cable?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Thing has like 24k miles on it and only comes out to drive up and down the freeway at 160mph.

Edit: He wouldn't let me drive the 76 Corvette, though I don't think that thing has moved in like 4 years.

As much as I love C3s, it'll be nowhere near as fast or handle as well as the Crossfire.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I've been getting sick of lukewarm heat at best so today I did something about it. Went to True Value hardware and picked up a 5/8 barb x 3/4 female garden hose fitting, a 3/4 barb x 3/4 fgh, a bottle of CLR, 2 male quick release fittings, and 1 female quick release fitting.

Came up with this

Flushed that bitch out good in both directions multiple times, filled the heater core with CLR and left it sit for 30 minutes. Flushed in both directions multiple times again. Put everything back together, took it for a ride and low and behold I now have the bitchin XJ heat that i was used to in my previous XJs.

After getting home I turned into Clarkson screaming "I've mended it"

I was going to build a setup with 3 garden hose Y shutoff things where I could change the direction of flow just by opening and closing valves but decided that may just be a bit too overkill.

fps_bill fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 20, 2012

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I hung my hoses up with both ends full of CLR over night twice on my XJ then used an air compressor to blow them free. You have two results, either the core unclogs and you're good; or the thing explodes and shits coolant all over your floor. Luckily we both had the first result.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I'm going to look at a '88 4x2 4 banger MJ tomorrow. Is there anything specific I need to look out for? I'll look for all the regular stuff, ball joints, leaks, rust etc but I'm new to Jeeps.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

What transmission?

an 88 auto would have the AW4 probably, it's a good box.

I forget if it'd have a pukegoat or an AX4/AX5 that year. If it's an AX, those are good.

Balljoints are no big deal, around $50 a side to replace and takes maybe an hour per side if you're working slow. 2x4 so you don't even need to pull the wheel bearings apart.

Make sure you check the frame for rust and cracks, as well as the gas tank and rear brake lines. Specifically check the fuel sender assembly, if the rest of the tank is rotten it'll cost you $120 or so to replace but the senders are drat near unobtainium these days.

Check the tail lights, tailgate, and bumper. Those are rare and expensive, unless you find them in a you-pull.

Use a magnet to check for bondo on the rockers, rear lower cab corners, lower bedsides, and the bedsides directly over the rear fender flares. Those are the problem areas and a bad bondo job just means it'll happen again.

The rest is almost all bolt-on poo poo that you can get at any junkyard in the country (99% of the drivetrain is the same as a similar-year XJ) or at the parts store for reasonable prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

kastein posted:

What transmission?

an 88 auto would have the AW4 probably, it's a good box.

I forget if it'd have a pukegoat or an AX4/AX5 that year. If it's an AX, those are good.

Balljoints are no big deal, around $50 a side to replace and takes maybe an hour per side if you're working slow. 2x4 so you don't even need to pull the wheel bearings apart.

Make sure you check the frame for rust and cracks, as well as the gas tank and rear brake lines. Specifically check the fuel sender assembly, if the rest of the tank is rotten it'll cost you $120 or so to replace but the senders are drat near unobtainium these days.

Check the tail lights, tailgate, and bumper. Those are rare and expensive, unless you find them in a you-pull.

Use a magnet to check for bondo on the rockers, rear lower cab corners, lower bedsides, and the bedsides directly over the rear fender flares. Those are the problem areas and a bad bondo job just means it'll happen again.

The rest is almost all bolt-on poo poo that you can get at any junkyard in the country (99% of the drivetrain is the same as a similar-year XJ) or at the parts store for reasonable prices.

Thanks. It's a 4 speed manual.