Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Nidoking posted:

At that point, you might as well just post a link to Geop's LP of Shadow of the Colossus, tell everybody to watch that, and spend your time doing something other than LP.

If you choose not to take this route, an explanation of what you plan to offer that Geop didn't would go a long way toward engendering something other than people telling you not to waste your time. Hint: Your voice is not an acceptable answer, given the sample provided.

Oh, Geop actually did this? I'll have to put it on the backlog of LP's to watch. I had been looking for a good SOTC one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Volume posted:

First: Did you draw those character pictures your self? Cause they look pretty bad. If I was you I'd Google some official character art and use that.

At least he had the decency to put them in 720p.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Dithiannim posted:

Well I was told to transcribe the forums, site news, and emails of this game. It's where a lot of the characters came from.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9113

Hopefully this linked correctly.

I don't really have the time to really critique this or watch the video, but just looking at the opening post, it needs some more work.
But off the top of my head I think you really ought to consider splitting up things like e-mails, the site news, and forum posts into separate updates and sprinkle those between actual plot updates.
I don't know if you really need to give a synopsis of the anime before delving into the game. At the very least there has to be better way of going about it. Sorry I can't be more helpful right now, but I wanted to make sure this didn't get buried without some sort of response.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ReturnOfFable posted:

Oh, Geop actually did this? I'll have to put it on the backlog of LP's to watch. I had been looking for a good SOTC one.

Just note it's a subtle LP and Geop has said he like to redo it when he gets around to LPing Ico.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

QuarkJets posted:

I have an idea for a gimmicky Dragon Age LP where you start off as the Human Noble but replace the character with the dog model. NPC models even compensate for this by looking down at you. The Teyrn of Highever is murdered and of course his dog embarks on a quest of vengeance. The rest of the game you either pretend that the NPCs are addressing your companions or particular characters (Ogryn) address you directly.
Oh hey, I remember that. I even asked around recently, but no one could link to the test post (including you).

I presume the way you're constantly addressed as "pup" in the human noble origin is what made you consider this?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Animated GIF advice needed.

Dangan Ronpa 2 has many more small animations than the original game. Some will be easy to reproduce as a series of screenshots, but others will not be. Some of them are even critical to the story, and aren't simple graphic touches.

When there isn't a lot of movement, I can get great results with an animated gif. When there is, however, I am kind of stuck. Here's an example (image from the first minute of DR2, for those who care about spoilers):

The sequence on Youtube, so you can see what it really looks like.

The best optimization I can manage, which is still 1.9MB. All of my other attempts are too big for lpix. It's reduced to 5fps and a very small color palette.

Is this acceptable? I can get a much better looking version at around 2.5-3MB, but that's getting extremely big (plus, I don't have anywhere to host it). Should I just link to Youtube? This one is slightly longer, but there are many 5 second sequences that I predict will get as large because of more movement. Should I make it a series of screenshots instead?

The one thing I don't want to do is reduce the image's dimensions. I want it to fit right in with the rest of the screenshots.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You could always just cut off the gif before the logo gets clear and have a screenshot of that. Or do a screenshot of the logo and stop the gif when "GAME START" scrolls up and off the screen.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah, this is WAY too long, of course it ends up being huge and/or looking like poo poo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Oh hey, I remember that. I even asked around recently, but no one could link to the test post (including you).

I presume the way you're constantly addressed as "pup" in the human noble origin is what made you consider this?

Yes. It seemed pretty perfect how everything just falls together if you just replace the human model with a dog model. The test post was like 2-3 years ago I think, and I'd love to see someone else do it (or if it doesn't happen, eventually I'll probably give it a try)

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
That GIF in particular just ends up being too choppy, to the point where I'd rather click a Youtube link to see it. What about smaller animations that would pop up more often? I assume you mean there's stuff like character animations which would probably work mostly fine as a GIF, though scrolling down into the middle of one playing and having to wait for it to loop is a bit annoying, but that depends on how long they are.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Split it up until multiple GIFs, or just link the video and have a few key frames from it statically.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

orenronen posted:

Dangan Ronpa 2 has many more small animations than the original game. Some will be easy to reproduce as a series of screenshots, but others will not be. Some of them are even critical to the story, and aren't simple graphic touches.

When there isn't a lot of movement, I can get great results with an animated gif. When there is, however, I am kind of stuck. Here's an example (image from the first minute of DR2, for those who care about spoilers):

The best optimization I can manage, which is still 1.9MB. All of my other attempts are too big for lpix. It's reduced to 5fps and a very small color palette.

Is this acceptable? I can get a much better looking version at around 2.5-3MB, but that's getting extremely big (plus, I don't have anywhere to host it). Should I just link to Youtube? This one is slightly longer, but there are many 5 second sequences that I predict will get as large because of more movement. Should I make it a series of screenshots instead?

The one thing I don't want to do is reduce the image's dimensions. I want it to fit right in with the rest of the screenshots.

That particular gif looks like one that can easily be split into two, with the first ending where "OK" flashes. Reducing the number of frames should reduce the file size of each individual gif.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Out of curiosity, what software are you using to make your gifs? Virtualdub? Photoshop? GIMP?

That sequence in particular is way too long to easily fit under 2MB and is probably better off as a video link (or multiple gifs, as others are suggesting), but if you're mostly working with 5-second sequences, those should probably be able to stay under 2MB without compromising too much, even with a lot of movement going on. If you're really worried about it becoming an issue, maybe make an example movement-heavy 5-sec gif just to make sure things are in shape (using something besides DR2 for the source, of course, unless you have something fairly spoiler-free)?

Also, that DR2 title screen music is wonderful. :allears:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

orenronen posted:

It looks okay, but a 25 second looping gif isn't very optimal. Those things should be like 5-10 seconds at the max (it's annoying to discover a gif at the halfway point and then have to wait another 15s before it starts from the beginning).

Here's an idea: The SA forums allow you to see videos directly in the forums frame, but I'm pretty sure that this feature is disabled by default. You can enable it by going to User Control Panel --> Edit Options --> Show video embedded in posts with the [video] tag? (yes). You could throw these instructions in your first post and then post video tags for the short segments that you want to show off, and then people can just click the video without having to leave the post (and the video size should be ~ the same as your images, so things will probably look right). This will probably help you save time, too. For very-short segments, gif would be awesome

(for people who do not enable this feature, it will just create a link to the video that they can click, so it's all good)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, when a gif is longer than 3-4 seconds, it's almost always better to just break it up. When you're reading down the page, you'll usually encounter looping gifs halfway through their animation. It's distracting and flow-breaking to watch the last 5 seconds of an animation before you watch the beginning.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 16, 2012

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

And what you call chaos is my beauty.

Cooked Auto posted:

Audio on the single-player run is left centred, which is probably something you should fix.

So here is my attempt at fixing that. It's kind of hard to tell; the audio in the last test was slightly more on the left. When juxtaposed to the previous test, the difference is completely noticeable, but the new test still sounds very slightly left-centered to me. I want to get more peoples' takes on this since I'm having trouble figuring whether the audio actually is still left-centered slightly, or if my mind is tricking me into hearing it that way. (Plus, currently lacking a working pair of headphones is quite hindering)

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

orenronen posted:

I just finished the DR1 LP and would be fine with Youtube videos, with one exception- Would taking the time to youtube something give away its significance in a trial, or would anything that needs it be fairly obvious in the first place? If it's the kind of thing that would be spoiled by giving it enough focus to deserve its own Youtube video, then I'd be totally OK with gifs that are a little too long. It'd be kind of fun to pour over the screens / gifs of areas looking for clues instead of just knowing that the Youtube link has the only important thing. The one you posted looks fine to me.

E: One possible solution would be to have the screenshots with translated text like normal, and then a Youtube video of you doing the "Investigation" part and examining all relevant areas without commentary. Since all of the relevant text would be in the SS portion, it'd be more than enough for readers to try their hand at solving it. That said, it'd also be a lot more work, so it might not be the best solution.

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 17, 2012

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hey guys, while I've already posted this LP I'd really like to possibly get some feedback in terms of recording settings and quality for future recordings.

I am getting increasingly anal about tweaking the audio and video quality (probably too much so; hence why I've already gone ahead with posting it since it was getting a bit insane), but I realize there's only so much I can actually do with a Wii capture to make it look "good". I don't have any specific questions, but I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions you lot have.

Nothing really sticks out to me to be concerned about, but I'm paranoid since I want this to be the best result possible for people, if only technically.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zorak posted:

Hey guys, while I've already posted this LP I'd really like to possibly get some feedback in terms of recording settings and quality for future recordings.

I am getting increasingly anal about tweaking the audio and video quality (probably too much so; hence why I've already gone ahead with posting it since it was getting a bit insane), but I realize there's only so much I can actually do with a Wii capture to make it look "good". I don't have any specific questions, but I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions you lot have.

Nothing really sticks out to me to be concerned about, but I'm paranoid since I want this to be the best result possible for people, if only technically.

Watched the video before and saw no issues I can think of to improve the quality. Video quality was really nice (this is a Wii game?), and the audio sounded great too.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Test Post
Let's Play StarFox: Assault

Star Fox: Assault was a 3rd Person/Rail Shooter released in 2005 for the Gamecube.
Developed by Namco as a part of a 3 way deal made in 2002 between Nintendo, Namco and Sega (a deal which also included the Triforce Arcade Board and F-Zero GX) the game was released to mixed reviews due to the games ground based missions.

Mission 1 - Fortuna: A New Enemy

Any feedback or comments especially on the commentary would be helpful.
Something I had a lot of trouble was fitting commentary in between the voice acting. I'm thinking I may just end up making a note of which dialogue is significant and talking over the rest as needed.

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

TheMooseOwns posted:

awful character portraits

Here are two pages of official art for you to use instead.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ohtsam posted:

Test Post
Let's Play StarFox: Assault

Seemed like you did a good job to me. It's ok to not explain every game mechanic in the first video, unless it's something unique to that level, so I wouldn't worry too much about fitting in everything you have to say about the game in general. I prefer commentary that is more sparse than filling every possible space, so I like what you did here, showing off the game dialogue. Once we get to characters repeating generic lines we've heard before ("Take this item!") you can talk over that for sure. You balanced the game/commentary volume well.

As far as the visuals, I've never seen this game before so I don't know how it is supposed to look. Seemed fine though. I assume it doesn't have widescreen compatibility, being a gamecube game and all.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
For the people that don't regularly check the actual LP forum (I'm guilty of this) there's possibly something magical happening over here. We'll see how this goes, sounding pretty good so far!

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Zorak posted:

I've noticed that HD PVR captures tend to come out a little too grey and a little too soft by default. Adjusting the levels and sharpening it slightly help a lot; the level change in particular will really make the colors stand out a lot more. Here's the settings I cobbled together real quick:

code:
Levels(10, 1, 245, 0, 255)
Sharpen(0.2)
1. before - after
2. before - after
3. before - after (the sharpness change is most apparent in this one)

I'd recommend spending some time with it to find the best settings for this game.

Another thing that should help: the video is running at 60 fps (well ok, 59.94, but you know what I mean) whereas the game itself only renders in 30. Cutting the framerate down should help with the overall encoding quality; you're basically encoding 50% wasted frames. It's not gonna be an amazing change but it should help it stay more consistent.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

flamedrake posted:

I've noticed that HD PVR captures tend to come out a little too grey and a little too soft by default. Adjusting the levels and sharpening it slightly help a lot; the level change in particular will really make the colors stand out a lot more.
I've always kinda felt that my footage with the PVR looked, well, watered-down in regards to the colors. Just a tad. Think I'll give these sorts of settings a tweak as well, myself. Thanks for the tip!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

flamedrake posted:

I've noticed that HD PVR captures tend to come out a little too grey and a little too soft by default. Adjusting the levels and sharpening it slightly help a lot; the level change in particular will really make the colors stand out a lot more. Here's the settings I cobbled together real quick:

code:
Levels(10, 1, 245, 0, 255)
Sharpen(0.2)
1. before - after
2. before - after
3. before - after (the sharpness change is most apparent in this one)

I'd recommend spending some time with it to find the best settings for this game.

Another thing that should help: the video is running at 60 fps (well ok, 59.94, but you know what I mean) whereas the game itself only renders in 30. Cutting the framerate down should help with the overall encoding quality; you're basically encoding 50% wasted frames. It's not gonna be an amazing change but it should help it stay more consistent.

I've noticed the color thing, this is actually after me already adjusting the brightness / contrast since for some reason the HD PVR default settings are wonky for that. I didn't try tweaking the colors though; I'll definitely give that a shot in the future.

I am concerned about the issue with oversharpening too much in post though, since it tends to emphasize artifacting.

And yeah, I should really dial down the FPS.

Thanks for the insight!

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Is anyone going to successfully post a Dead Rising 2 LP? I've seen test posts about 3 times in here, and now that one thread that just got locked. Am I missing one going on right now? Search didn't turn up anything, or might be broken.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
I've actually got a question tangentially related to that thread.

So it was locked because it's got no content, which was a super classy move, starting a thread with none of that.

But say I was going to hypothetically do an LP of a game that had two main campaigns and wanted to let the thread pick which one would be LP'd.

Would it be best to, say, record the first mission from both campaigns, then post THAT as an OP and say "here pick between these"? Or just say "pick your campaign and I'll get cracking on that"?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
In that case, I'd spend the OP telling people about both campaigns. Pulling a name out of my hat, say you were going to do a C&C thread; with your desire to have the goons choose if you play GDI or NOD first, show off the user interface and give a taste of what makes both sides unique. Not every content-post has to be about advancing the LP but they can be about things we've seen or will see in a more controlled introduction.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Bacter posted:

But say I was going to hypothetically do an LP of a game that had two main campaigns and wanted to let the thread pick which one would be LP'd.

Would it be best to, say, record the first mission from both campaigns, then post THAT as an OP and say "here pick between these"? Or just say "pick your campaign and I'll get cracking on that"?

I'd want to see some actual video/screenshot content in case it's a game I'm not familiar with. If I go into the thread and the OP says "Who are we playing as: Shlubs or Skoonzes?" followed by a dozen posts voting I'm not going to stick around to find out what the hell a "skoonze" is if I don't already know. That still holds even if you describe the options in text because that doesn't always tell me what I'm really deciding.

NoSuperman
Jul 11, 2012

"How are you alive?"
"I may very well not be."
Since I was none-too politely asked to post in the Sandcastle before opening up my LP thread, here's my opening post for a Dead Rising 2 VLP.

Introduction

Welcome to Fortune City Nevada! America's (New) adult playground! Kick back, relax, have a drink, tape fire-axes to sledgehammers and pound zombies into the floor!

Released in 2010 Dead Rising 2 was met with good reviews all over, scoring a solid 80 on Metacritic.

The key difference between this and Dead Rising 1 is that since Chuck isn't a photographer, you no longer take amusing little pictures to get PP. (PP=Prestige Points=Experience) No, instead Chuck can grab 2 random bits of crap from the various shop fronts and store rooms and tape them together to make powerful, and often hilarious, weapons.

Set a few years after the outbreak in Colorado, zombies have become a fact of everyday life, to the point where anyone who's infected by the parasite can stave off death for upwards of 24 hours using a medicine known as 'Zombrex' a modified version of the serum used on Frank West in the previous game.

Since then there's been another outbreak that resulted in the destruction of Las Vegas, from which protagonist and former motocross champion Chuck Green and his daughter Katey are survivors.

Since then two organisations have grown; Terror Is Reality, a Gladiators-style pay-per-view TV series where the average joe can splatter zombies for fun and profit. The second is C.U.R.E.; a protest group who feel that the zombies deserve better and that the government should be putting more resources into finding a cure.

But now there's another outbreak in Fortune City, with Chuck framed as the man who started it! He's got 72 hours find out who really did it, while trying to balance finding survivors and tracking down Zombrex for Katey.

OatmealRaisin's LP of Dead Rising 1

Please avoid talking about plot points that haven't occurred yet, if you really must then please spoiler tag them.

Main Playthrough
This will be played Co-op between me and my friend Mike. I'll be editing between our two tracks of video every few minutes to make sure everything's nice and fresh. Since Mike and myself both have different approaches to the game. We'll be trying to complete as many missions and save as many survivors as we possibly can in the time allowed.

Part 1: COMING TUESDAY

Constructive criticism okay? And do try and be polite. This is the internet, show some class.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
This isn't what they meant.

We have nothing to comment on. Wait until Tuesday.

How long is your first video, by the way?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

So you have a test post with out the actual anything?

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

NoSuperman posted:

Since I was none-too politely asked to post in the Sandcastle before opening up my LP thread, here's my opening post for a Dead Rising 2 VLP.

Introduction

Welcome to Fortune City Nevada! America's (New) adult playground! Kick back, relax, have a drink, tape fire-axes to sledgehammers and pound zombies into the floor!

Released in 2010 Dead Rising 2 was met with good reviews all over, scoring a solid 80 on Metacritic.

The key difference between this and Dead Rising 1 is that since Chuck isn't a photographer, you no longer take amusing little pictures to get PP. (PP=Prestige Points=Experience) No, instead Chuck can grab 2 random bits of crap from the various shop fronts and store rooms and tape them together to make powerful, and often hilarious, weapons.

Set a few years after the outbreak in Colorado, zombies have become a fact of everyday life, to the point where anyone who's infected by the parasite can stave off death for upwards of 24 hours using a medicine known as 'Zombrex' a modified version of the serum used on Frank West in the previous game.

Since then there's been another outbreak that resulted in the destruction of Las Vegas, from which protagonist and former motocross champion Chuck Green and his daughter Katey are survivors.

Since then two organisations have grown; Terror Is Reality, a Gladiators-style pay-per-view TV series where the average joe can splatter zombies for fun and profit. The second is C.U.R.E.; a protest group who feel that the zombies deserve better and that the government should be putting more resources into finding a cure.

But now there's another outbreak in Fortune City, with Chuck framed as the man who started it! He's got 72 hours find out who really did it, while trying to balance finding survivors and tracking down Zombrex for Katey.

Please avoid talking about plot points that haven't occurred yet, if you really must then please spoiler tag them.

Main Playthrough
This will be played Co-op between me and my friend Mike. I'll be editing between our two tracks of video every few minutes to make sure everything's nice and fresh. Since Mike and myself both have different approaches to the game. We'll be trying to complete as many missions and save as many survivors as we possibly can in the time allowed.

Constructive criticism okay? And do try and be polite. This is the internet, show some class.

Those sure are words, but it's not worth anything without a video.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

NoSuperman posted:

Uh... Where's the video? And how can we give you criticism period if you don't have a video? Why would you post a thread, and then a test post without a video? Why? How?

What?

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

NoSuperman posted:

Introduction

Main Playthrough

You were told that the problem was you don't have any content. And you still don't have any content. What exactly are we supposed to critique here? If your video is ready on Tuesday, as you said in the thread, then put that up here then.

And, incidentally, the response in the thread was a model of civility compared to what people doing this kind of thing usually get (and deserve).

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

NoSuperman posted:

Dead Nothing 2

So you started a thread with nothing in it and are now going to passive aggressively post nothing here as well?

Fantastic start, there.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

NoSuperman posted:

Introduction

Main Playthrough

You should repost this on Tuesday when you have some actual content or is this some kind of John Landis "See You Next Wednesday" joke that I'm not quite getting?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

NoSuperman posted:

I think you're only following the letter of what those people said, not the spirit. There's no pre-approval in the Sandcastle, it's just a way to gauge your content and get feedback. People told you to post in here because the fact you posted a thread without any actual content hints that there are going to be more problems down the line.

And, yes, how long is your first video? How are you going to handle cutscenes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoSuperman
Jul 11, 2012

"How are you alive?"
"I may very well not be."

Suspicious Dish posted:

This isn't what they meant.

We have nothing to comment on. Wait until Tuesday.

How long is your first video, by the way?

Around 40 minutes, it shows pretty much the whole intro of the game.

And as an explanation, I'm putting up my intro post so I can improve it and have it ready for Tuesday when my first video goes up.

• Locked thread