Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Aeros Wilhelm
Sep 2, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Mario Galaxy 1&2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Xenoblade, Muramasa, Sin & Punishment 2, Mario Kart(if you don't have 7), Wario Ware, Metroid Prime 3/Collection, Excitebots, A Boy And His Blob, Wario Land Shake It, Punch-Out, Sonic Colors, etc, etc...
What sort of games are you looking for?

Those are all basically the kind of things I was looking for; basically just a brief list of good games for it. I'll likely pick up whatever my local walmart has (usually has a bunch of great games because everyone just goes to the Gamestop on the corner).

E: vvv Yikes. I'm noticing that. and its still like fifty bucks? poo poo.

Aeros Wilhelm fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

^^^^Skyward sword is awesome and pretty lengthy as far as modern Zeldas go, Also the Mario Galaxies are great too.

bradzilla posted:

Will Amazon have this on sale at 12am PST? Is it even worth it to try to snag one?

Where do you live? There may be physical options available to you! I dont think Amazon is selling the console. Depending on what games you want there are bundles online like

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16868100130

Everyones favorite egg retailer.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Aeros Wilhelm posted:

Those are all basically the kind of things I was looking for; basically just a brief list of good games for it. I'll likely pick up whatever my local walmart has (usually has a bunch of great games because everyone just goes to the Gamestop on the corner).

Just as a heads up, Xenoblade was sold exclusively through EB Games/GameStop in North America. It's a real pain in the rear end to try and buy it now at an actual store. I had to drive 2 hours out to some EB Games in the middle of nowhere to get it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aeros Wilhelm posted:

I'm getting NSMBU and AC3 with my premium (meaning Nintendoland as well).

I also want to buy a bunch of wii games that I didn't have the chance to get since I skipped it; I'm thinking Skyward Sword (maybe) and Endless Ocean Blue World (Zorak's LP in the LP Forums really makes me want this), any other suggestions? I'm thinking the Kirby collection game as well.

All of the Kirby games for the Wii are good though they're easy. They're the kind of game you kick back and relax with. Skyward Sword is the best put together 3D Zelda in my view (Wind Waker had better parts but gently caress that pointless, time wasting sailing). So they're both good picks. Pretty much any first party stuff for the Wii is really well put together including all the things that no one talks about like ExciteTruck/Bots, Rhythm Heaven Fever, and Sin and Punishment. And there's plenty of good third party games that no one ever talks about because people ignored the Wii like Muramasa, Klonoa (remake of a PS1 game that's done really well), and the de Blob series. The Wiimote functions best as a pointing device so all of the light gun games are a lot of fun; the two Resident Evil Chronicles games, the House of the Dead games, and Ghost Squad come to mind immediately. Hell, I even like the port of Trackmania for the Wii because of the four player split screen multiplayer modes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ooh. You know what suddenly excited me from a PAL Wii owner's point of view?
No more 50Hz downconverts!

Now I want wrongs righted. Madworld HD, please.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Policenaut posted:

Just as a heads up, Xenoblade was sold exclusively through EB Games/GameStop in North America. It's a real pain in the rear end to try and buy it now at an actual store. I had to drive 2 hours out to some EB Games in the middle of nowhere to get it.

That said, it's totally worth getting. Check online before going out of your way to drive somewhere to get it and save yourself some hassle.

On an unrelated note, my Wii U launch haul is looking like NSMBU, Sonic Racing, and Darksiders 2. If the reviews for ZombiU turn out well, I might get that for Christmas, and those four should easily last until The Wonderful 101.

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 17, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ooh. You know what suddenly excited me from a PAL Wii owner's point of view?
No more 50Hz downconverts!

...your Wii wasn't set to 60Hz?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aeros Wilhelm posted:

The Last Story is another really good game, if you can find it. (What was the deal with that getting released in the US anyway? Wasn't it by online preorders only or something?)

A couple more good ones are the Trauma Center games (and Trauma Team, which is the third game after Second Opinion and New Blood), de Blob 1&2, GoldenEye 007, Mario Party 8, Red Steel 2 (avoid the first Red Steel, it's really bad) and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Skyward Sword is okay, but it has issues.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Bombadilillo posted:

Now I'm just being contrary because I want it to be good and everyone everywhere so far has said the game is awesome in previews and I will be pissed if that was all lip service.

That's what previews are though. It's understood that the final product isn't being shown, so the journalist tries to avoid passing judgment. It's also easy to be optimistic when the developer is there talking up the game and all the wonderful things they're planning to implement. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but it really does sound like Zombi U is the Wii U's version of Red Steel.

Look for a bevy of posts claiming "It's not that bad" and "I think it's pretty awesome" over the next few days that gradually get replaced with "gently caress :("

Aeros Wilhelm
Sep 2, 2011

Guys I wanted a few wii games not 'take all my money out of the bank and spend it buffing up my game collection before black friday' :(

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

In my opinion, "launch window" ends Christmas at the latest; dragging it out until the end of Q1/13 is marketing bullshit. Plus, speaking from a European perspective, Wonderful 101 won't even make that, and I'd be genuinely surprised if Pikmin 3 doesn't get pushed back until Q3. Rayman seems like the only quality game that will actually be out in the foreseeable future after launch.

Like its been pointed out, they are not even announcing games for after the 'launch window' because, lets say a New 3d Mario of :swoon: Zelda was announced for a July release. A lot of people would skip getting the console at launch and figure they will pick it up in summer. More games are coming.

I think 'launch window' is some market researched timeframe where its close enough for people to want the console day 1.

I'll give them this, they clearly defined what they meant by 'launch window' from the moment they announced things.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Katana Gomai posted:

In PAL you can't guarantee folks' lovely old TVs can handle 60Hz, so some games just slowed it down without the courtesy of an option to go full NTSC speed, like Madworld.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Not to mention the entire PAL Virtual Console catalogue.

TG-16 was unaffected, and SNES titles were generally partially corrected back in the day so are reasonably playable, but yeah. Mega Drive and Neo Geo were tragedies. They went to the trouble of emulating exactly how these games used to run for us poor saps, but who on earth asked for that?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 17, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Almost Smart posted:

That's what previews are though. It's understood that the final product isn't being shown, so the journalist tries to avoid passing judgment. It's also easy to be optimistic when the developer is there talking up the game and all the wonderful things they're planning to implement. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but it really does sound like Zombi U is the Wii U's version of Red Steel.

Look for a bevy of posts claiming "It's not that bad" and "I think it's pretty awesome" over the next few days that gradually get replaced with "gently caress :("

Your probably right :smith: Its a shame too, the main complaint that reviewer had could have been changed by a random staring melee weapon that preformed differently, just to mix things up.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Katana Gomai posted:

Most games work fine on 60Hz or 480p, but on some the developers were incredibly lazy so they're 50Hz only. Little King's Story for example.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Last Story is another really good game, if you can find it. (What was the deal with that getting released in the US anyway? Wasn't it by online preorders only or something?)
The Last Story was released to retailers but I think it had a pretty limited run. I picked up the only copy at my local Best Buy.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Looks like ZombiU is this console's "Red Steel"

I think if you'll look quite a few pages back I called this direct comparison :smug:

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
On the topic of ZombiU, I actually played it at PAX Prime. And I feel like what I played was a really good cross section of the game.

You were in Buckingham Palace I believe. You were trying to get out. You have to play the game slow. You have to scan around using the game pad to find possibly hidden items, or to determine if a dead body is a live zombie.

I got to shoot things with a scope, I got to shoot things with a regular gun, I got to use a lot of melee. Basically I feel like I went through everything the game has to offer and came out really enjoying the experience the game provided. The demo let us play two characters to either death or success. My first character died early because I was playing like it was another zombie shooter. My second character got much farther.

I had to deal with zombies that were on fire, zombies in riot gear that I had to melee the helmets off of, spitting zombies, and regular zombies. I came SO CLOSE. But in the end I got just a little too cocky and died.

To me, the game worked mechanically well. I feel like perhaps this may just be a case where the concept doesn't grab everyone.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^^^Can you describe your experience with the scoped weapons? I am curious about how that works out is it gyro controlled? also confirm there are no ironsights. Someone keeps asking everything the game is brought up.

suddenlyissoon posted:

I think if you'll look quite a few pages back I called this direct comparison :smug:

Hate to break it to you but people have been saying this for a long time. Mostly in the form of "I hope its not the WiiU's Red Steal" You are sadly both unoriginal. More accurately just as original as a bunch of other people.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 17, 2012

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:

Bombadilillo posted:

^^^Can you describe your experience with the scoped weapons? I am curious about how that works out is it gyro controlled? also confirm there are no ironsights. Someone keeps asking everything the game is brought up.

I honestly do not remember about iron sights, but I do know that aiming with something like the Crossbow required me to hold the game pad up and scan around. It seemed to work well enough.

This was all just my experience though, and to be fair I tend to be a bit more forgiving of games. But this is a game I'll be picking up based on that demo.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I don't really have much interest in ZombiU but it's pretty disheartening to see people jump on one leaked review when there have been lots of examples of scores ranging across the board for recent releases. Some reviewers absolutely hated the Double Dragon remake that came out recently and others loved it. So maybe if anyone is interested they should wait until tomorrow when more than a single review is out there.

Or just ignore reviews and get things you think look fun and take a gamble. It's not like there aren't a million ways to flip a game, especially during the christmas season and a console launch.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 17, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why does that review's title have "HAHAHAHAHA" on it, by the way? I doubt the actual reviewer put that in the review video.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:

greatn posted:

Why does that review's title have "HAHAHAHAHA" on it, by the way? I doubt the actual reviewer put that in the review video.

I haven't watched the review, but if it was leaked and thrown up on youtube it could be from some other console fanboy going like HAHAHAHAH LOOK THE HARDCORE GAME EVERYONE THOUGHT WAS AWESOME APPARENTLY SUCKS ACCORDING TO ONE REVIEWER. And named it as such.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Stealthed Zombie posted:

I honestly do not remember about iron sights, but I do know that aiming with something like the Crossbow required me to hold the game pad up and scan around. It seemed to work well enough.

This was all just my experience though, and to be fair I tend to be a bit more forgiving of games. But this is a game I'll be picking up based on that demo.

Thanks. I kind of like that an accurate shot through a scope requires you to stop look 'though the scope' and take your time. Its not like a highly skilled COD operative :v: These are regular Joe redshirt here.

I think oyu confirmed my suspicion that the game will kick yu rear end and be no fun if you try (or expect) to 'run and gun' it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Gonna assume whoever leaked it doesn't have much faith in the WiiU and the 'haha' is to mock those who are interested. Standard internet people actions and such.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
What's with the complaint of bad AI? They're zombies.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:

MrLonghair posted:

What's with the complaint of bad AI? They're zombies.

The zombies don't try to use flanking tactics or anything man!

It could be though that maybe they get hung up on objects, or their pathing is bad. Like they're just walking repeatedly into a wall or something. That would definitely be something I wouldn't see necessarily during one demo.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Stealthed Zombie posted:

The zombies don't try to use flanking tactics or anything man!

It could be though that maybe they get hung up on objects, or their pathing is bad. Like they're just walking repeatedly into a wall or something. That would definitely be something I wouldn't see necessarily during one demo.

You'd think he would reference some blatant problems like that, reveiws usually do. I think it goes with the reviewers complaint about kiting enemies one by one to dispatch them, which was boring cause "zombies arent a threat alone"

This game is starting to sound like it has proper Zombies and not some smokers/brusers/zombie dogs/game zombie crap in it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Stealthed Zombie posted:

It could be though that maybe they get hung up on objects, or their pathing is bad. Like they're just walking repeatedly into a wall or something.

Oh, then this is as AAA as Black Ops 2 and AC3

Bombadilillo posted:

This game is starting to sound like it has proper Zombies and not some smokers/brusers/zombie dogs/game zombie crap in it.

Proper zombies that WALK, mostly shut up and don't jump. It's the best zombie survival horror game of the year just because of the implementation of 'em.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Teenage Fansub posted:

In PAL you can't guarantee folks' lovely old TVs can handle 60Hz, so some games just slowed it down without the courtesy of an option to go full NTSC speed, like Madworld.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Most games work fine on 60Hz or 480p, but on some the developers were incredibly lazy so they're 50Hz only. Little King's Story for example.

I didn't know that, I set it to 60Hz in the menu and thought that would be it. I am suddenly glad I got both those games off the bargain bin because paying full price for a neutered product would actually annoy me. And I only ever bought a single virtual console game and regretted it pretty much right away.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Bombadilillo posted:

Hate to break it to you but people have been saying this for a long time. Mostly in the form of "I hope its not the WiiU's Red Steal" You are sadly both unoriginal. More accurately just as original as a bunch of other people.
You must be the guy who yells "you stole this from reddit" when people post facebook statuses.

I had high hopes for ZombiU and while they're not completely gone (because Gamespot's reviews are poo poo), they're pretty much headed that way. One day to go and I'm still on the fence as to whether keep my deluxe or just sell it. I got burned buying a Wii the first day and I'm afraid I'm about to get burned again even though I'm really looking forward to a a handful of games.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^^^No I dont go on reddit. :haw: I you hadn't dropped the :smug: I wouldnt have said anything, I meant no offense! Are gamespots reviews bad? I dont usually follow reviews, if Im remotly interested I gamefly a game to see myself.

Speaking of ZombiU heres a launch trailer I havent seen yet.
http://www.destructoid.com/the-rules-of-zombiu-238799.phtml

Not quite successful Zombieland ripoff.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 17, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

suddenlyissoon posted:

One day to go and I'm still on the fence as to whether keep my deluxe or just sell it. I got burned buying a Wii the first day and I'm afraid I'm about to get burned again even though I'm really looking forward to a a handful of games.

Hold onto it, check out a game or two and if you don't like it then flip the bitch on craigslist for some cash in a few weeks as Christmas approaches.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Bombadilillo posted:

Are gamespots reviews bad? I dont usually follow reviews, if Im remotly interested I gamefly a game to see myself.
They can be as uneven as most sites, depending on the particular reviewer. My approach is to read most of the reviews out there and spot which flaws/highlights are brought up by multiple sites. You can get a good idea of what a game emphasizes and whether its failings are things you'd be likely to care about.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

360 and PS3 games are still required to support SD resolutions, but neither company enforces 50hz support and most titles don't even bother with it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Honestly the only people I listen to with game reviews are regular people. These gaming sites, no matter how well staffed, have to cram two dozen games in one week and get the reviews all up by tomorrow. Even if you divvy it up between 3 or 4 writers its still a monster undertaking and all you're really getting are rushed, initial impressions.

Not to mention the fact that the online features of said game are not even active at the moment, making reviews even more difficult to take at face value. Nintendo really should have pushed their day 1 patch on Friday to give reviewers enough time to investigate the online features of each game, the netcode, the miiverse integration, etc.

As it stands the only reviews you'll see that get a fair, full glimpse into the games, are from people on this very forum.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
The only review you can trust is one from a person who went into it wanting to like it, since that's the mindset you're going to have if you buy it.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Aeros Wilhelm posted:

I'm getting NSMBU and AC3 with my premium (meaning Nintendoland as well).

I also want to buy a bunch of wii games that I didn't have the chance to get since I skipped it; I'm thinking Skyward Sword (maybe) and Endless Ocean Blue World (Zorak's LP in the LP Forums really makes me want this), any other suggestions? I'm thinking the Kirby collection game as well.

I did the same.

I had a bunch of gift cards at Amazon from trade-ins etc. and ended up getting a bunch of Wii stuff:
Black Wii Controller Plus / Nun chuck
Mario Galaxy 1
Mario Galaxy 2
Twilight Princess
Skyward Sword
Donkey Kong Country Returns

Then my brother in law is giving me his old games:
Super Paper Mario
Metroid Prime Trilogy

As far as WiiU specific stuff, I snagged the Target deluxe + NSMBU bundle that was selling yesterday, which will be arriving Monday.

Besides that I haven't bought any WiiU games.

It's looking like the Sonic racer is going to be really really good. I usually don't like racing games. And I don't like playing Kart racers alone. But everything I'm hearing about this game is making it hard to resist.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Haruharuharuko posted:

Ok as someone who currently works at Wal-Mart...shut up it's $12 a week for insurance I have real job but they don't offer insurance...if they give you any guff have them call the CSM on duty (or salaried manager) and at worst threaten to call corporate, you'll be taken care of in a blink.

Oh yeah I know, I work for Walmart too. I don't really expect them to give me any trouble, especially since I personally know all the CSMs since I'm a cashier. I'm just a little worried because the salaried manager who will probably be working tonight rarely has any idea what he's doing or what's going on.

I also had a question about New Super Mario Bros U, but I dunno if any media has mentioned it. Is it possible to play multiplayer with the gamepad being used as a sort of substitute Wii Remote? So like, if you've only got three remotes, can you use the gamepad to add a fourth player who's just a regular character without any platform making stuff?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Have they described how to get DLC? I think I'm going to get Sonic's racing game when I pick it up tomorrow and I haven't really heard if the eshop's going to mostly be the same or whatever (I never used it despite owning a 3DS/Wii anyway)

Also saw this floating around, sharing because why not :v:

Edit: Wait people are praising Skyward Sword? The gently caress?
I liked the visuals and concepts but that game was padded, full of nothing but backtracking, and the only good part of it was a certain segment in the desert area. It looked pretty and was better then Twilight Princess in just about every way but it was still awful.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

"ThisIsACoolGuy" posted:

Edit: Wait people are praising Skyward Sword? The gently caress?
I liked the visuals and concepts but that game was padded, full of nothing but backtracking, and the only good part of it was a certain segment in the desert area. It looked pretty and was better then Twilight Princess in just about every way but it was still awful.

You say this like it's the majority opinion. It's not. You didn't like it, cool. Why are you so shocked other people did? Most people loved it. Dont pretend like you didn't know that.

• Locked thread