Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Have they described how to get DLC? I think I'm going to get Sonic's racing game when I pick it up tomorrow and I haven't really heard if the eshop's going to mostly be the same or whatever (I never used it despite owning a 3DS/Wii anyway)

Also saw this floating around, sharing because why not :v:

Edit: Wait people are praising Skyward Sword? The gently caress?
I liked the visuals and concepts but that game was padded, full of nothing but backtracking, and the only good part of it was a certain segment in the desert area. It looked pretty and was better then Twilight Princess in just about every way but it was still awful.

A bunch of stuff isn't there until the day one update so we have to wait for that to drop until we have a full idea of how the eshop and DLC will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There are bad parts in Zelda games but overall they're well put together and creative and lots of fun. I always find it funny that people complain about Nintendo rehashing stuff when they've released a dozen games over the course of three decades, compared to some more modern series that are a decade old but have 6 or more games released.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Have they described how to get DLC? I think I'm going to get Sonic's racing game when I pick it up tomorrow and I haven't really heard if the eshop's going to mostly be the same or whatever (I never used it despite owning a 3DS/Wii anyway)

Also saw this floating around, sharing because why not :v:

I liked the visuals and concepts but that game was padded, full of nothing but backtracking, and the only good part of it was a certain segment in the desert area. It looked pretty and was better then Twilight Princess in just about every way but it was still awful.

DLC's going to be available from the eshop after a system update in December.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Bionic posted:

DLC's going to be available from the eshop after a system update in December.

That's just the Tvii stuff as far as I know. There's still a day one update and the eshop should still be there.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Man, I really want to know what went down between EA and Nintendo over the last year. At E3 2010 they were out on stage talking about their massive support for the WiiU and now pretty much nothing. The whole Mass Effect 3 WiiU thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth, EA was hitting pretty great only a few years ago, what happened bros?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Bombadilillo posted:

You say this like it's the majority opinion. It's not. You didn't like it, cool. Why are you so shocked other people did? Most people loved it. Dont pretend like you didn't know that.

You're as bad as he is. At least around these parts, the overall consensus was that it was an ok to good game, nothing awful but nothing terribly special either.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Man, I really want to know what went down between EA and Nintendo over the last year. At E3 2010 they were out on stage talking about their massive support for the WiiU and now pretty much nothing. The whole Mass Effect 3 WiiU thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth, EA was hitting pretty great only a few years ago, what happened bros?

Nintendo was probably like "Nope" when EA wanted the online system to be based on Origin.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Zombi U started life as Killer Freaks From Outer Space, a lovely looking score attack shooter with generic aliens. That was red flag one. Red flag two? Red Steel was the core ubi game on the first wii.

I get that this is a Nintendo product and people will try really hard to defend it because a lot of people will love making fun of it, but if even half of that review is accurate, that game looks like a bust.

Slower play isn't an awful concept for a zombie game, but sticking the player with a lovely bat for most of the game and having a sparse, barren world with the thinnest of stories is a real deal breaker for a game like this.

The good news is that now I can put off a $300 plus purchase until 2013 without feeling like I'm missing anything. Zombi U was the one game that I really thought might be a day one must play, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bombadilillo posted:

You say this like it's the majority opinion. It's not. You didn't like it, cool. Why are you so shocked other people did? Most people loved it. Dont pretend like you didn't know that.

Actually was hoping for more of a debate on why people liked it more then anything v:v:v

Skyward Swords airspace was empty, and had almost nothing in it other then the one or two chests, the controls for rolling bombs and sometimes sword swings were kind of wonky, there was next to no enemy variation (all of the enemies seemed to be some kind of bokoblin), there are only 3 areas in the game, and none of them are too terribly interesting, Fi is possibly the worst partner in the entire franchise who would spout off the same information you heard literally five seconds ago and was generally obnoxious at almost all times, the beetle was a new good item but... I genuinely can't remember any other new weapons, all of the bosses were neat until the last half of the game where it resycles the same bosses repeatedly and constantly, the item upgrades didn't feel important at all to me and just seemed like "Hey you can do this" but... doesn't actually add anything, there's almost no side quests in the entirety of the game aside from the main one, and what little there is you already knew the reward was going to be so there was next to no excitement in completing a optional task... and there's a lot (a LOT) of padding or random poo poo just to extend game time (Tadstones and the like)

It's just not something that seemed very well put together in my opinion so was kind of curious as to why other dudes loved it so much.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 17, 2012

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

Akileese posted:

That's just the Tvii stuff as far as I know. There's still a day one update and the eshop should still be there.
Eshop will be in the day one update, correct. But I'm talking about DLC availability in the eshop, a la http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/43945/first-wii-u-dlc-coming-next-month-following-system-update/

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Almost Smart posted:

You're as bad as he is. At least around these parts, the overall consensus was that it was an ok to good game, nothing awful but nothing terribly special either.

As bad as expressing shock that some people praised a popular game he didnt like?

Ok sure buddy, you know the SA consensus doesn't affect what the majority of people think no matter if you like it or not. http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword

I never said he had to like it because I did, which would be the 'just as bad' version you speak of. You're way off.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
http://youtu.be/7-pN7157gy

This is funny, Reggie spontaneously walked the NYC Nintendo store Wii U line Friday night and the first thing someone asks him is complaining about 3ds region locking and how he had to pay $300 just to play the latest Japanese gaimu, Reggie is befuddled and says "Sorry about that"

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

On the subject of ZombiU, I think I said it previously in the last thread, but I went to a WiiU event several months ago and tried it out. I really, desperately wanted to like the game but I left hating it. The game felt oddly dark and clunky, the player got caught on weird geometry hooks when moving around, the objectives were unclear and I fell through the floor twice (the second time hardlocked the system). I waved away a lot of the problems as the demo being from an old build, but my experience was sour enough that I'm going to wait until it is the in the bargain bin to think about picking it up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

Ok sure buddy, you know the SA consensus doesn't affect what the majority of people think no matter if you like it or not. http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword
The user grade is 7.7 which seems right in line with what he just said??? Way to prove his point for him.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
People need to give up on Red Steel at this point. It wasn't as bad as people say. Its primary problem was that it was a launch game for a console that people didn't understand completely. People bought RS thinking it had 1:1 motion controls and it didn't. It was still bad, but people treat it like it's the antichrist. It wouldn't be regarded as poorly as it is if we understood the Wii better than we did.

EDIT: And be honest -- even when it was known that the Wii wasn't doing 1:1 motion controls, we all saw a sword and thought that they somehow managed to do it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Actually was hoping for more of a debate on why people liked it more then anything v:v:v

Skyward Swords airspace was empty, and had almost nothing in it other then the one or two chests, the controls for rolling bombs and sometimes sword swings were kind of wonky, there was next to no enemy variation (all of the enemies seemed to be some kind of bokoblin), there are only 3 areas in the game, and none of them are too terribly interesting, Fi is possibly the worst partner in the entire franchise who would spout off the same information you heard literally five seconds ago and was generally obnoxious at almost all times, the beetle was a new good item but... I genuinely can't remember any other new weapons, all of the bosses were neat until the last half of the game where it resycles the same bosses repeatedly and constantly, the item upgrades didn't feel important at all to me and just seemed like "Hey you can do this" but... doesn't actually add anything, there's almost no side quests in the entirety of the game aside from the main one, and what little there is you already knew the reward was going to be so there was next to no excitement in completing a optional task... and there's a lot (a LOT) of padding or random poo poo just to extend game time (Tadstones and the like)

It's just not something that seemed very well put together in my opinion so was kind of curious as to why other dudes loved it so much.

My biggest complaint was the sky overworld, that was the biggest padding and boring, place, especially since it was just 'go to the glowing chest' so you werent even exploring, just busywork.

I liked the upgrades, not all but, the upgraded shotgun slingshot game me a reason to use it once you get the bow, thats a first for a zelda game there. The world backtracking was fun in my opinion because they changed up the areas, all underwater or the sequence when you lose your items was really fun I thought.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

The user grade is 7.7 which seems right in line with what he just said??? Way to prove his point for him.

What point is that? his strawman that I am 'just as bad' for saying you shouldnt be shocked people liked the game?

475 positive reviews to 73 negative. yet.

quote:

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Bionic posted:

Eshop will be in the day one update, correct. But I'm talking about DLC availability in the eshop, a la http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/43945/first-wii-u-dlc-coming-next-month-following-system-update/

My mistake. Didn't see this. Oh well, it's a slight wait for Assassin's Creed 3 DLC. Since it's been sitting on my shelf since Tuesday a little more won't hurt.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Okay guys, Skyward Sword was a game, and everyone can have different opinions. Sure, he was out of line saying it like that, but don't you guys think you are defending this a little too hard? Imagine if a mod saw this. :allears:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

What point is that? his strawman that I am 'just as bad' for saying you shouldnt be shocked people liked the game?
He said the SA consensus was that the game was somewhere between ok to good, so in defiance you linked him to a Metacritic page with a user score of "somewhere between ok to good."

Agrias120 posted:

On the subject of ZombiU, I think I said it previously in the last thread, but I went to a WiiU event several months ago and tried it out. I really, desperately wanted to like the game but I left hating it. The game felt oddly dark and clunky, the player got caught on weird geometry hooks when moving around, the objectives were unclear and I fell through the floor twice (the second time hardlocked the system). I waved away a lot of the problems as the demo being from an old build, but my experience was sour enough that I'm going to wait until it is the in the bargain bin to think about picking it up.
Probably smart with third party titles because third party launch titles drop in price really quickly after the first 6 months. I think Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo dropped to $20 only two months after launch.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^^^This is getting stupid, I said the "majority of people loved it" He said "No SA said Ok", I linked the metacritic, of the ~500 user reviews 350 of them are 9 or 10, so I am defending, 'majority loved it' Got it? lets move on.

Edoraz posted:

Okay guys, Skyward Sword was a game, and everyone can have different opinions. Sure, he was out of line saying it like that, but don't you guys think you are defending this a little too hard? Imagine if a mod saw this. :allears:

Just think when we get a new Zelda to argue about? :swoon: Any idea when that will come out? They usually have a long cycle between games and SS was fairly recent, it was a while before that came out after Twilight.

VVVV You werent the one using a strawman.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 17, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I gave my reasons, not sure why it's a strawman though, I thought it was valid.

But yeah I worded it incorrectly, my apologies on that.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

He said the SA consensus was that the game was somewhere between ok to good, so in defiance you linked him to a Metacritic page with a user score of "somewhere between ok to good."

This forum is so great for people failing to understand what's even going on but butting in anyway.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I really don't give a poo poo about their little lovers quarrel I just don't know what purpose there was for linking the Metacritic page.

I've now read 10 different reviews of Nintendo Land and the interesting thing is they all wildly differ on what games are good and which aren't. I'm curious to see what the consumer opinion is. Everyone's experiences seem to be vastly different.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

HarveyVdarski posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wSG2BGe3_c

Looks like ZombiU is a piece of poo poo! Thank you based gamestop for leaking your videos and getting that guy in tons of trouble. You can still cancel your ZombiU preorders kids.

Saw this review. The initial qualms about being unable to outrun zombies, and scarce ammo/guns made me laugh, because obviously those are qualities the survival horror genre seems to have forgotten about lately. It sounded cool, so I was still on board, and ready to discard the entire review.

Then I saw that you have to tap the screen repeatedly for opening manhole covers or whatnot. Huh, well that's kind of lame, probably a fluke. Then he mentioned that scanning a room for items and supplies is just "hold the gamepad up and scan the room," and noted that it was completely inorganic, which I would agree with. But while scavenging for supplies without using the gimmicky controller (ie - checking cupboards and drawers and such individually) would have been cool and immersive, it's not a dealbreaker at all - just a tiny detail.

Then he showed like four different situations where hidden numbers are revealed by scanning, and said that all the puzzles in the game are just "scan walls for hidden numbers, enter code into keypad." Well, that blows. Hopefully we get some more reviews soon, because repetitive melee combat, lovely puzzles, and hamfisted implementation of the new controller sounds like a recipe for a dud.

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen
To everyone getting a Wii U, I hope you gets lots of fun out of it.

This will be my first Nintendo console to not get at midnight launch since the Gamecube.

I've been an avid Nintendo nut almost my entire life, but the Wii U just doesn't do it for me. I just don't have this "must have it" urge I did with previous Nintendo consoles.

I hope we get a killer game down the road (Zelda, Smash Bros) and makes me change my mind. I think I'm just not a fan of the tablet gamepad. Screw you Apple, your touch products made this happen!

But I digress, good luck Nintendo! Now go make Zelda, Smash Bros, and a 3D Mario Bros game.

Also, Skyward Sword ruled. Most people loved it. The only legitimate complaint is Fi talked too much, but little kids playing Zelda for the first time with A.D.D. might have needed her. The motion controls worked extremely well for me. I rate it as good as Ocarina of Time. It was a solid game.

Runaway Five fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 17, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Runaway Five posted:

To everyone getting a Wii U, I hope you gets lots of fun out of it.

This will be my first Nintendo console to not get at midnight launch since the Gamecube.

I've been an avid Nintendo nut almost my entire life, but the Wii U just doesn't do it for me. I just don't have this "must have it" urge I did with previous Nintendo consoles.

I hope we get a killer game down the road (Zelda, Smash Bros) and makes me change my mind. I think I'm just not a fan of the tablet gamepad. Screw you Apple, your touch products made this happen!

But I digress, good luck Nintendo! Now go make Zelda, Smash Bros, and a 3D Mario Bros game.

Also, Skyward Sword ruled. Most people loved it. The only legitimate complaint is Fi talked too much. The motion controls worked extremely well for me. I rate it as good as Ocarina of Time. It was a solid game.

Do you include the 3DS in you everything since Gamecube? Becuase I felt about that like you do about the WiiU, only the killer app never came.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Instead of thinking about it as a tablet gamepad, think about it instead like all those really cool "I made a handheld out of my SNES/NES/N64/Neogeo" projects that internet nerds used to salivate over, only now you get to actually have it.

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen

Bombadilillo posted:

Do you include the 3DS in you everything since Gamecube? Becuase I felt about that like you do about the WiiU, only the killer app never came.

I got the Gamecube, Wii, and 3DS at midnight launches.

I'm actually really happy with my 3DS. It is a good portable. I use it mostly for the Street Pass Find Mii / Puzzle Swap functionality. If you don't have people to get street passes from then it isn't as much fun sadly.

Zelda 3DS was good. Mario Kart 7 is still really fun. New Super Mario Bros 2 is alright. It is an okay Mario game.

So, I'd say the 3DS is a success if you have strangers and/or friends to interact with streetpass/spotpass. Otherwise, it is not the best.

But, I think that will change when ANIMAL CROSSING comes out next year. That game is going to be fun. Trust me, goons love Animal Crossing. We'll be visiting towns and all sorts of fun stuff :3

I played Animal Crossing City Folk (The Wii Version) with a gaggle of goons online. Lots of good times were had :)

Runaway Five fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 17, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Cool, my Sears order just got "delayed" and they can't even tell me anything for 5-7 days.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'll grant you the sky overworld being barren and empty. Lots of wasted potential there. And the flying controls were stupid and horrible, and you don't even get to name your bird?! Stupid.

I liked the overworlds though. There were only three of them, sure, but each one was quite distinct from the others. I enjoyed going back to each one, opening up new areas, and seeing what had changed.

Also Groose. Best thing about that game.

And if you didn't enjoy Bomb bowling, I don't know what to tell you. That poo poo is awesome!

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

Runaway Five posted:

The only legitimate complaint is Fi talked too much,

Yes, the only one.

ZombiU's just the first of many titles that's going to try and build itself around the controller without really understanding how to implement it properly, just shoehorning it into things that don't need it. Every new console with its own gimmick gets at least a few, the puzzles and manholes just seem tedious and whack-a-mole with the zombies doesn't seem that much fun either.

Getting reminded of that Dead Island game a good bit, actually.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Walmart has shipped my deluxe and NSMBU. Should get the system on the 19th or later and NSMBU after the 21st. Looking forward to it. I'm also figuring out if I want to get Little Inferno on WiiU or Steam. I loved World of Goo too much to pass up their new game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The Introvert posted:

Yes, the only one.

ZombiU's just the first of many titles that's going to try and build itself around the controller without really understanding how to implement it properly, just shoehorning it into things that don't need it. Every new console with its own gimmick gets at least a few, the puzzles and manholes just seem tedious and whack-a-mole with the zombies doesn't seem that much fun either.

Getting reminded of that Dead Island game a good bit, actually.

I think the point of those is the same as the inventory. Its to take your control off the main screen so you have to preform an action while being vulnerable. The manhole tapping does look stupid, but I understand why the did it. taping on a barred door frantically while watching a zombie close in on you, tension. Manhole covers are heavy and I appreciate that they are trying to simulate you having to exert effort to move it within the gamespace, but the tapping looked...unrefined might be the right word.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

FPzero posted:

Walmart has shipped my deluxe and NSMBU. Should get the system on the 19th or later and NSMBU after the 21st. Looking forward to it. I'm also figuring out if I want to get Little Inferno on WiiU or Steam. I loved World of Goo too much to pass up their new game.

I ordered from Walmart too! Maybe mine will ship today as well. NSMBU is already on the way. I'm getting excited here!

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Cool, my Sears order just got "delayed" and they can't even tell me anything for 5-7 days.

Looking on Gamefaqs it looks like a lot of people that were able to place an order on Sears.com in the last week are in a similar situation. I cancelled my order, ordered the basic bundle off newegg, and am going to try and score a deluxe tomorrow morning and resell the basic, I guess.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
Question - is there any indication that this system launch won't be similar to the debacle that was the Wii launch where if you didn't pre-order one you couldn't find it anywhere for like six months?

Being that my interest in the system came quite late (like a week ago) I have no illusions that I will get one before Christmas, but I'm wondering if they should be regularly available shortly afterwards? Or did Nintendo short the supply again to drive up demand :tinfoil:?

I know some places have a few of the 8GB's still in stock, but I'm only interested in the 32GB system.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Looking on Gamefaqs it looks like a lot of people that were able to place an order on Sears.com in the last week are in a similar situation. I cancelled my order, ordered the basic bundle off newegg, and am going to try and score a deluxe tomorrow morning and resell the basic, I guess.

I'm not surprised really. Seems like Sears.com is always having some weird issues (odds are they probably oversold the stock they had) and due to the amount of complaining you can hear about them from people on the internet something like this was bound to happen.

e: If you want a system, start calling around to Target or Walmart. The word from Nintendo is that they'll be walk in supply in some places (though places like Gamestop who had a preorders, a waiting list, and then a waiting list for the waiting list, you're SOL). Not sure what BB's deal is though. I know they took preorders but I don't know if they have an additional waiting list like gamestop does.

2nd edit: Just got the gamestop text telling me my preorder can be picked up Sunday morning. Huzzah. Still gonna show up early with breakfast and my ds.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 17, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TheKeeper posted:

Question - is there any indication that this system launch won't be similar to the debacle that was the Wii launch where if you didn't pre-order one you couldn't find it anywhere for like six months?

Being that my interest in the system came quite late (like a week ago) I have no illusions that I will get one before Christmas, but I'm wondering if they should be regularly available shortly afterwards? Or did Nintendo short the supply again to drive up demand :tinfoil:?

I know some places have a few of the 8GB's still in stock, but I'm only interested in the 32GB system.

Nintendo claims more units this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTERACTIVE CD-ROM
Nov 18, 2005

Love?
So is the cricket bat the only melee weapon in ZombieU? That Gamespot review certainly made close combat look boring and repetitive, but surely there's other, better melee weapons to find? If so, I don't think "kills take too long with the default weapon" is really a valid criticism if better options are readily available.

edit: yeah, there's a pickaxe kill at the end of this preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddXT0gjt3Os.
So the Gamespot review confirms that trying to beat the game using the default melee weapon will be tedious. Ok...?

INTERACTIVE CD-ROM fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 17, 2012

• Locked thread