Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Irfanview is also free and for Windows and does that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Cakefool posted:

I I've just checked the pricing of nitro pro 8, unfortunately it's $120 but I use it at work & I've never used anything better for editing/working with pdfs. If 14 days is enough they have a free trial?

I can get Acrobat for $99 so I'm trying to beat that :) Thanks though.

axolotl farmer posted:

Imagemagick is a free command line tool that will do most of the things you want. To convert a jpg to pdf all you do is convert myjpg.jpg mypdf.pdf. The file size barely increases.

You can probably combine pdfs together too, but a more powerful tool for all pdf operations is pdftk.

Both are open source and free (don't know if they're free as in :rms2: or just no-cost). Available for all platforms.

helopticor posted:

Irfanview is also free and for Windows and does that stuff.

I will try those. Thanks a lot. To the others that offered suggestions, thanks also! The reason just printing JPG -> PDF doesn't work is that I ended up with a 31 page file that was 30mb. That's wayyyy too big to assign to students as reading (many printers poo poo themselves).

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I will try those. Thanks a lot. To the others that offered suggestions, thanks also! The reason just printing JPG -> PDF doesn't work is that I ended up with a 31 page file that was 30mb. That's wayyyy too big to assign to students as reading (many printers poo poo themselves).

The reason for this is that PDFs are not made to handle images, they're made to handle text. Image laden PDFs are always huge and slow. What you need is a scanner tool that can read text.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

baquerd posted:

The reason for this is that PDFs are not made to handle images, they're made to handle text. Image laden PDFs are always huge and slow. What you need is a scanner tool that can read text.

I will add that it seems the default setting on pdf generators is 'loving huge file size'

I use Acrobat Pro and always run the 'optimise pdf' feature to get 5MB files down to 1MB. Your software might have the option to reduce the resolution of images.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

baquerd posted:

The pdf format is perfectly capable of handling embedded jpgs. A decent program will use the compress jpgs instead of turning them into uncompressed bmps or something stupid. With Adobe programs, this is unnecessarily complicated.

Digitizing a document with OCR is actually a lot of work, and is drat hard if the text is blurry or uses a older typeface.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What happens when a Muslim accidentally eats pork? What would happen if he deliberately ate pork (curiosity, lack of respect, etc)? What would he do if somebody knowingly served him pork?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nothing, fires of hell, jihad.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CzarChasm posted:

RAD as hell Career advice

Ok, I'll start looking at temp work for agencies and what not, Thanks man I appreciate the help. What do IT guys normally deal with day to day? (I'm imagining a lot of, "Help the internet is slow!" and "Help, I accidentally my hard drive!")

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Liebfraumilch posted:

How do you get infiltrated with fruit flies in the first place? I have a feeling they are lying in wait whenever I get bananas, peaches, or cantaloupe in particular. Likely?

I looked it up once and they have an incredible range (like a mile?) of sensing rotting fruit, and can get into pretty much anywhere because of their size. They're not too hard to get rid of, just remember to set your trap after removing all the fruit, garbage, beer cans, etc from your place so the trap is tempting. They go nuts for a banana half-soaking in apple cidar vinegar.

Addy
Oct 14, 2012

Knightmare posted:

I looked it up once and they have an incredible range (like a mile?) of sensing rotting fruit, and can get into pretty much anywhere because of their size. They're not too hard to get rid of, just remember to set your trap after removing all the fruit, garbage, beer cans, etc from your place so the trap is tempting. They go nuts for a banana half-soaking in apple cidar vinegar.

Who wants to talk about how many fruit flies you have potentially already ingested in your lifetime? :D

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I've recently started simmering vegetable oil with ground up marijuana to mix in brownie mix to make brownies with. It's worked out really well. However, I would like to find a healthier alternative to mix the oil with instead of brownies, does anyone have any suggestions? I end up getting way too high from the brownies, getting the munchies, and then eating more brownies and getting more high, sometimes uncomfortably high.... yes... it's a vicious cycle.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

What happens when a Muslim accidentally eats pork? What would happen if he deliberately ate pork (curiosity, lack of respect, etc)? What would he do if somebody knowingly served him pork?

For the last one, I think a lot of people would be rightfully pissed, assuming it was done out of malice. Deliberately serving pork is kind of eek, yeah, so I won't touch that one. But take it down a few thousand notches: if we're just talking a sandwich from a friend who knows your dietary restrictions and it has cheese that may have rennet from an animal source it is better to accept and eat it as a gracious guest than be a jerk and ask about it or remove it. Waste is haram. Breaking hearts or insulting friends in any way over such things is a bigger wrong.

--

Also, thank God I don't have a fruit fly problem, and seldom do, but when I see them it is almost always when there is cantaloupe, bananas, or peaches around so I figured they hitched a ride on them. And, no, I do not want to know how many I have eaten in my lifetime. :(

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Don't worry all the spiders you swallow will get them anyways. But what is going to get the spiders?

* - you really don't swallow spiders in your sleep. At least most people don't.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 16, 2012

Addy
Oct 14, 2012

Trastion posted:

Don't worry all the spiders you swallow will get them anyways. But what is going to get the spiders?

Hold on, let me check my manual...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Trastion posted:

you really don't swallow spiders in your sleep. At least most people don't.
My sources say you are wrong.

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

I've recently started simmering vegetable oil with ground up marijuana to mix in brownie mix to make brownies with. It's worked out really well. However, I would like to find a healthier alternative to mix the oil with instead of brownies, does anyone have any suggestions? I end up getting way too high from the brownies, getting the munchies, and then eating more brownies and getting more high, sometimes uncomfortably high.... yes... it's a vicious cycle.

Waffles, hummus, pesto, corn muffins, whole wheat bread, oatmeal cookies, carrot cake. You could also make a rad pasta sauce and then put it over some whole wheat pasta. Any dip would be really good with some toasted pita or whole wheat crackers. The world is your oyster, maybe try smoking some and then pondering this again.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
What's a good drinking game for the original Star Wars trilogy?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

the JJ posted:

Force -- drink

Empire -- drink

Vader wheeze -- drink

Imperial March -- drink

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
Cannot remember if I asked this before, but I definitely meant to: curiosity grew too great and my fiancé picked up a package of mysterious flat bread at the nearest halal market that he said he's seen families buy up crazily whenever he's there, but he's never heard of, himself. It came in a large clear bag with no labels on it, the flatbreads were huge--bigger than a normal plate--and had a spongy texture and appearance. The ones we had were additionally an unappealing grayish color. The bread had a sour taste we both found awful, the texture was too-soft, like pancakes, and we honestly didn't know what to do with them to make them edible. Their taste did not clearly call for anything that could better them--jam, butter, savory sauces...nothing at all seemed like it would work. I think I tried to crisp them in a pan later on, and he begged me to just let him throw the whole bag out for animals and try to forget about it.

Whenever I'm at the market, everyone is too busy for me to have the audacity to strike up conversation as to how to use bread :downs: and nothing came up on Google for sour spongy gray flat Arab bread, so can someone please identify this for me? I need to know what it is, how it is best served, and validation that it is an acquired taste...and texture.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Liebfraumilch posted:

Cannot remember if I asked this before, but I definitely meant to: curiosity grew too great and my fiancé picked up a package of mysterious flat bread at the nearest halal market that he said he's seen families buy up crazily whenever he's there, but he's never heard of, himself. It came in a large clear bag with no labels on it, the flatbreads were huge--bigger than a normal plate--and had a spongy texture and appearance. The ones we had were additionally an unappealing grayish color. The bread had a sour taste we both found awful, the texture was too-soft, like pancakes, and we honestly didn't know what to do with them to make them edible. Their taste did not clearly call for anything that could better them--jam, butter, savory sauces...nothing at all seemed like it would work. I think I tried to crisp them in a pan later on, and he begged me to just let him throw the whole bag out for animals and try to forget about it.

Whenever I'm at the market, everyone is too busy for me to have the audacity to strike up conversation as to how to use bread :downs: and nothing came up on Google for sour spongy gray flat Arab bread, so can someone please identify this for me? I need to know what it is, how it is best served, and validation that it is an acquired taste...and texture.

Injera, maybe?

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

How did you do that? I am almost certain you're right: sour, spongy, "pancakes"...you have given a name to my adversary, and I will now learn everything I can. I cannot believe I waited a year to ask SomethingAwful. Thank you.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
You are more or less supposed to use it as an edible fork/spoon. It didn't taste sour to me at all but then again if you are from the US you are probably used to large amounts of sugar in your bread.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Liebfraumilch, you owe it to yourself to get a meal at a good Ethiopian restaurant. Injera is delicious with the different kinds of stew they put on it.

You get a big plate covered in injera topped with stews that the entire table share, and you eat it with your hands by ripping off a piece of injera and wrapping up some stew in it.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
That, I can do, I hope. Bless Philadelphia.

It's been a really long time since I've had fluffy loaves of sliced bread--my complete flat bread revolution came in 2010--but the injera did taste sour to me. Actually sour, not "where's the corn syrup :byodood:" lack-of-sweet sour. Maybe it was...expired. Will give it another go. Thanks, all!

\/\/\/ Edit: Heck yeah! That is pretty much exactly my stomping grounds. Have been trying to stick to a tight budget and restaurants feel like too much of a luxury even when they may not be, but I've been itching to try out these places and we no doubt will soon.

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 17, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Liebfraumilch posted:

That, I can do, I hope. Bless Philadelphia.

Man there's places in West Philadelphia where you have three different Ethiopian restaurants all next o each other on the same block, it's great.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Install Gentoo posted:

Man there's places in West Philadelphia where you have three different Ethiopian restaurants all next o each other on the same block, it's great.

Go down Baltimore around 48th.

Also buy your Halal @ 43rd & Walnut, Which you might already be doing.

Warning: it has been a few years since I have lived there.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What flavor is the Oriental flavor of Maruchan Ramen supposed to be? These things, specifically:

I think they're supposed to be shoyu flavor, but I've heard everything from miso to beef and chicken to pure MSG. I've had miso and it definitely does not taste like miso, so that can't be it. Does anyone know for sure?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Pollyanna posted:

What flavor is the Oriental flavor of Maruchan Ramen supposed to be? These things, specifically:

I think they're supposed to be shoyu flavor, but I've heard everything from miso to beef and chicken to pure MSG. I've had miso and it definitely does not taste like miso, so that can't be it. Does anyone know for sure?

Trying to find a real world comparison to the artificially produced flavours contained within those satchets is utterly futile.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've got Windows 7 and I'm thinking of getting an alternative Shell, I don't want to make a thread for just this one question though. What are some good Goon reccomended alternative Shells for Windows 7?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Turtlicious posted:

I've got Windows 7 and I'm thinking of getting an alternative Shell, I don't want to make a thread for just this one question though. What are some good Goon reccomended alternative Shells for Windows 7?

Depends what you want to do. If you want to configure and tweak up the arse, try Aston shell. If you want super simple, try bbLean.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I've always thought this flavor tasted like soy sauce.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Manslaughter posted:

I've always thought this flavor tasted like soy sauce.

Yeah, that's definitely shoyu/soy sauce. I'm just not 100% sure since it doesn't quite taste like soy sauce I've had in the states...but maybe it's not supposed to be.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Experto Crede posted:

Depends what you want to do. If you want to configure and tweak up the arse, try Aston shell. If you want super simple, try bbLean.

I found E-merge, which is doing very nicely.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Pollyanna posted:

What flavor is the Oriental flavor of Maruchan Ramen supposed to be?

They all taste like salt, disappointment, and broken hearts to me.

Pollyanna posted:

It's 10000% not miso.

I'm pretty sure it's not beef or chicken since maruchan makes "beef" and "chicken" flavors as well.

It doesn't really have much a resemblance to Japanese shoyu ramen, either...

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

I found E-merge, which is doing very nicely.

If you need more input on this later on there's a Windows megathread in sh/sc. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3137721

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

the JJ posted:

Take a drink whenever Luke is upside-down for any reason, even momentarily.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

5 spice, soy, and MSG. "5 spice" is pretty much clove, cinnamon, ginger, fennel, and star anise, but the real answer is artificial flavor and msg. There's probably a bit of garlic and onion flavor too.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
I would like to buy 4 CDs for my friend that lives in Italy. The CDs are all sold on Amazon and total about 46$. Is it better (cheaper?) for me to buy the CDs on the amazon.com website and have them shipped internationally (will he have to pay customs/ import fees?), or should I try (and can I even) buy it through the amazon.it website and have it shipped to him from Italy?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
I may or may not participate in this year's Reddit Secret Santa, and I may or may not sign up to ship internationally.

Besides higher shipping costs, is there anything else involved with shipping packages to other countries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Raimundus posted:

I may or may not participate in this year's Reddit Secret Santa, and I may or may not sign up to ship internationally.

Besides higher shipping costs, is there anything else involved with shipping packages to other countries?
Youll want to research the import restrictions of whatever country you get.