Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I kind of miss all the old lovely MechWarrior/Battletech books. Only because every author described combat in the exact same way. I got a thing for giant walking weapons platforms though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Saint Darwin posted:

OK yo hold up, we're poo poo talking fantasy I guess, but Heinlein wrote some fantasy-type stuff as well. Just saying not all fantasy authors are pedophiles or weirdos.

:allears:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Saint Darwin posted:

OK yo hold up, we're poo poo talking fantasy I guess, but Heinlein wrote some fantasy-type stuff as well. Just saying not all fantasy authors are pedophiles or weirdos.

are you saying heinlein wasn't weird?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
heinlein was a self inserting clowntard

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Cold on a Cob posted:

are you saying heinlein wasn't weird?

No the dude was weird as poo poo but he was no grrm who was just painfully weird.

apparently I missed anything akward he wrote about sex or it was so awkward I blocked it out of my mind.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
oh god saint darwin is posting in yospos its loving over shut it all down salt the servers

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Saint Darwin posted:

No the dude was weird as poo poo but he was no grrm who was just painfully weird.

apparently I missed anything akward he wrote about sex or it was so awkward I blocked it out of my mind.

heinlein is an order of magnitude creepier than grrm. read farnham's freehold

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

heinlein's self insert older man who is the smartest and the best at everything has a conversation with his teenage daughter (who is really hot, just sayin') about how it's logical and right to carry on an incestual relationship, and that it's natural to be sexually attracted to your daughter/father

the girl smiles and admits that yes, she's wanted to gently caress her dad all along, she just wasn't ready to admit it.

yeah. heinlein.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Amethyst posted:

heinlein's self insert older man who is the smartest and the best at everything has a conversation with his teenage daughter (who is really hot, just sayin') about how it's logical and right to carry on an incestual relationship, and that it's natural to be sexually attracted to your daughter/father

the girl smiles and admits that yes, she's wanted to gently caress her dad all along, she just wasn't ready to admit it.

yeah. heinlein.

his mary sue in time enough for love literally goes back in time and fucks his mom, who then fantasizes about getting dp-ed by her husband and her son from the future. can't remember if that's before or after he knocks up his twin redhead daughters, though

if his writings are any indication he also had a huge preggo fetish yet never had any children. wonder why

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
why are drat near almost all fantasy and sci fi authors such broken humans?

i'm glad we don't reward them with riches because some of them would probably make howard hughes look pedestrian

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cold on a Cob posted:

why are drat near almost all fantasy and sci fi authors such broken humans?

i'm glad we don't reward them with riches because some of them would probably make howard hughes look pedestrian

the crazier sci-fi poo poo requires a huge detachment from reality, and all fantasy requires an even bigger detachment

look at near-future sci-fi author william gibson who is pretty much shockingly normal; cory doctorow is pretty much normal for a nerd culture sperg and his books aren't that out there either

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
yeah but isn't ursula le guin pretty normal?

it's no loving wonder margaret atwood refuses to acknowledge she writes science fic-*cough* excuse me, speculative fiction

are neil gaiman and iain m. banks ok humans? :ohdear:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cold on a Cob posted:

it's no loving wonder margaret atwood refuses to acknowledge she writes science fic-*cough* excuse me, speculative fiction

iain m. banks seems pretty normal if a bit scottish http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20181130

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Asimov was a super smart cool dude and I won't hear word against him

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
as a low grade weirdo myself, i'm ok with weirdos and even slightly perverted weirdos but way to many dudes like grrm and piers anthony in the biz

it's not exactly helping make the case for genre fiction being ~*~serious art~*~ or whatever (not that i care i guess)

current book status: almost done 'on the beach', honestly i'm not loving it and even for a novel from the late fifties it is amazingly regressive in some ways. i mean it's nice to have an apocalypse without going all mad max thunderdome cannibal rapefest for once but everyone is just so staid and boring in this novel, it's not realistic at all. the author's idea of people going mad in the face of certain death is drinking more, being in denial, and racing cars more dangerously than usual. also they stop doing their jobs toward the end omg!!

maybe it's because the author was both an older british guy and ex-navy when he wrote it?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cold on a Cob posted:

neil gaiman is like an Über writer

all marrying amanda palmer like that :argh:

and he writes weird sex scenes that make you think*

*not about pedo-incest shist

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

neil gaiman is like an Über writer

all marrying amanda palmer like that :argh:

ns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMgfRThylhU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cold on a Cob posted:

eh, part of it is because science fiction implies genre fiction with some common tropes so if you're capital-L Literature you get moved to a special genre for the critically accepted. the relationship between magic realism and fantasy is kind of similar.

i mean a lot of it is lit snobbery, but i think some of it is borne out of the fact that a lot of sci-fi, even the stuff that's actually got depth, tends to be lacking in the quality of prose department.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

i have no butt but i must fart
I laughed, I am a five-year-old

also: the abundance of creepy manchildren in genre fiction makes me despair. Reading Game of Thrones atm and it's trashy/creepy and painfully light on the palate

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
current book status: finished 'on the beach' at the gym this morning

ending was super sad and i cared enough about the characters to be bummed out that everyone was dying. it's not a trashy, bad book but it's definitely limited by it's narrow focus on some well-off white brits and military types. it's worth a read but don't go in expecting 'the road' or anything.

next sci fi book, i think i'll check out something by ursula le guin. i've only ever read 'the left hand of darkness' and it was way over my head at the time as i read it as a child but goddamn if i don't need to read some good, engaging novels

first i'm reading a non-fiction book though so we'll see how i feel when i'm done this book

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

finished neuromancer

maybe i'd stretched reading it out too far (bus book) but i was just kinda bored with it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

sticky wizard posted:

finished neuromancer

maybe i'd stretched reading it out too far (bus book) but i was just kinda bored with it

it may be that or the same problem people who watch Aliens today for the first time face: it was so influential that you've seen everything that was fresh and impressive about it back in the day a million times before

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

gooby on rails posted:

it may be that or the same problem people who watch Aliens today for the first time face: it was so influential that you've seen everything that was fresh and impressive about it back in the day a million times before

ya basically, i was gonna try articulating that but i havent had my coffee yet

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

gooby on rails posted:

yep

this is why i honestly won't recommend some of the things i loved as a childe anymore, because even if they aged well, they look kinda cliched sometimes

like, i'm a huge fan of the old romero zombie films but if someone who's never seen a zombie film asks me what they should watch i'll usually just recommend 28 Days Later. if they love the genre and want more then give them the romero films, shaun of the dead, etc

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

like, i'm a huge fan of the old romero zombie films but if someone who's never seen a zombie film asks me what they should watch i'll usually just recommend 28 Days Later. if they love the genre and want more then give them the romero films, shaun of the dead, etc
:goonsay:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
on the topic of romero, his best film is and always will be Martin

if you haven't seen it go check it out even if you don't like his zombie films or the other stuff he did

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

sticky wizard posted:

finished neuromancer

it starts really good but then when you get to space rastas, little girls, and ninjas the whole thing unravels

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

z0r rowe posted:

it starts really good but then when you get to space rastas, little girls, and ninjas the whole thing unravels

agreed but i don't remember any little girls? you don't mean molly do you? i read it like 20 years ago though so...

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012
no the daughter of the thing that the ninja protects... she's old or something but is a little girl in form

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
3jane maybe? I always imagined she was in her 20s or at worst a teenager

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

z0r rowe posted:

no the daughter of the thing that the ninja protects... she's old or something but is a little girl in form

oh, right forgot about that. they don't really dwell on it or do anything creepy with that little plot device do they? i'm assuming no because i tend to get really upset with writers that do creepy poo poo like that so i'd prob remember

i can excuse the ninjas because it was the early 80s and gibson was required by international law to include a ninja character

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

gooby on rails posted:

3jane maybe? I always imagined she was in her 20s or at worst a teenager

yeah 3jane

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gooby on rails posted:

i had that problem reading "a princess of mars"

part of it is that we know a lot more about writing sci-fi now than burroughs did so it's not entirely his fault that the book isn't as engaging as it could be, just like cars a hundred years ago sucked too

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

sticky wizard posted:

finished neuromancer

I think new Gibson is better than old Gibson even if I like nearly all his books. skip that steampunk one for reals.

Pattern Recognition owns owns owns.

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i had that problem reading "a princess of mars"

part of it is that we know a lot more about writing sci-fi now than burroughs did so it's not entirely his fault that the book isn't as engaging as it could be, just like cars a hundred years ago sucked too

the worst part of burroughs for me was simply his dated writing style

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

also goons gettin old in this thread, now we know how our parents felt when we watched movies/shows and they were all 'hohum this is the same as the crap in the 70s'

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

mjs6643 posted:

i mean a lot of it is lit snobbery, but i think some of it is borne out of the fact that a lot of sci-fi, even the stuff that's actually got depth, tends to be lacking in the quality of prose department.

every art form and genre has a good amount of stuff that is really bad, I don't see it as unique to scifi. i think that most of the reason people don't want to be labeled as scifi or admit to reading it or talk crap about it is because its still relatively new and the giants in the genre are either still alive or have only died pretty recently.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

z0r rowe posted:

the worst part of burroughs for me was simply his dated writing style
yeah that's basically it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Saint Darwin posted:

every art form and genre has a good amount of stuff that is really bad, I don't see it as unique to scifi. i think that most of the reason people don't want to be labeled as scifi or admit to reading it or talk crap about it is because its still relatively new and the giants in the genre are either still alive or have only died pretty recently.
Nah, it's because it's culturally associated with lowbrow pulp. Lightsabers and laser guns and all that. Movies and video games are probably the biggest culprits here.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

sticky wizard posted:

finished neuromancer

gooby on rails posted:

likely this. it's also the sort of book that works best if read in two sessions, maybe three if you want to take your time.

• Locked thread