Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Don't make me post mine, I got nearly 70 games from the gamestop sale alone.

I think I have enough games to last me another 20 years.

It's high time that I do a console freeze. That is, I will not buy any other consoles in the future - just too many games I have to finish now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Zenitrude is glowing red about now. Post more and make him glow faster.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So...Ribbit King and Dog Island: Quirky gems, or complete trash?

I'm editing down a cart to games I might reasonably play or have previously enjoyed. And those two based on box art and title alone have piqued my interest.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Which also reminded me I've sent a bunch of free stuff out to people and only one person replied saying they received it which was for the SLG 3000 scanline generator. Did no one else receive their stuff from me or something?

I sent you a PM when I got that broken DS you sent me. :shobon:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'm editing down a cart to games I might reasonably play or have previously enjoyed. And those two based on box art and title alone have piqued my interest.

From what I can tell, Ribbit King is like a strange type of golf game. It's... quirky.

Dog Island - well, if you like dogs, then you'll like this game. It's... different.
I say it's geared towards younger children though.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

RadicalR posted:

From what I can tell, Ribbit King is like a strange type of golf game. It's... quirky.

Dog Island - well, if you like dogs, then you'll like this game. It's... different.
I say it's geared towards younger children though.

Thanks, They're off my list

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Tobaccrow posted:

My Gamestop haul also came today:

I already own Japanese and US copies of Ys VI, but I got this copy so I could find a good home for it among my friends.

Is the PS2 version of Killer 7 only one disc? I remember the Gamecube version being 2 discs, so I hope Gamestop didn't short you half of a brilliant game. :ohdear:

Ambitious Spider posted:

I like Ribbit King. It's obscenely Japanese and an amusing mini-golf-ish game. Definitely worth a dollar or so. Dog Island always looked worth a shot, though I can't speak for it personally.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Ribbit King's a fun PS2 party game that supports up to 4 players. It's a good game to pull out if a gaming party is getting very chatty, too distracted for a full split screen game. It's a pretty chill game people can just hit their frog when it's their turn and go back to relaxing.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Please... stop... posting... these :negative:

Most were from the 5/$1 in-store sale.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I sent you a PM when I got that broken DS you sent me. :shobon:

oh yea that was a long time ago; how is it working for you? IIRC you just wanted something to play GBA games on, right?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Overbite posted:

So I decided that I wanted to have my closet back so I could put clothes in it. The problem was that half of it was stuffed floor to ceiling with old pc game boxes.

:siren: GORE POST AHEAD :siren:

This is a small pile of them.

This is an even smaller pile.

Not sure what to do with these boxes.

I took all the papers and cds and stuff out and just put them in smaller boxes. Most of these pc games came in comically oversized boxes with just a cd sleeve in it and I don't know why.

Kind of felt bad to ruin all those perfectly good boxes but I could really use the room.

Uhhhh this is kinda my expertise and I'll tell you that if you take the time to clean them up, make sure everything is included and price them out fairly, you could make at least a couple hundred dollars.

Just a few examples:
http://www.amazon.com/MegaMan-Legends-Pc/dp/B0000524QJ
http://www.amazon.com/System-Shock-2-Pc/dp/B00000K4AX
http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Trilogy/dp/B000FX56Y2

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

oh yea that was a long time ago; how is it working for you? IIRC you just wanted something to play GBA games on, right?

Yeah but I haven't gotten around to fiddling with it yet. Turns out the tri-wing screwdriver I have that's fine for my GBC console and GBA games is a tiny bit too big for the DS screws. I'll get another one of these days, I might check my local retro game shop because he had a few screwdrivers and screw bits and such, I need one for my SNES stuff too.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Panic Restaurant posted:

Is the PS2 version of Killer 7 only one disc? I remember the Gamecube version being 2 discs, so I hope Gamestop didn't short you half of a brilliant game. :ohdear:

PS2 version comes on a single disc.

That's one game I should go back to : It's just that I remember the Almeida stage being hellishly impossible.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

The Joe Man posted:

Uhhhh this is kinda my expertise and I'll tell you that if you take the time to clean them up, make sure everything is included and price them out fairly, you could make at least a couple hundred dollars.

Just a few examples:
http://www.amazon.com/MegaMan-Legends-Pc/dp/B0000524QJ
http://www.amazon.com/System-Shock-2-Pc/dp/B00000K4AX
http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Trilogy/dp/B000FX56Y2

Do people actually pay those prices? Fairly certain I still have Megaman Legends and a bunch of other 1998-2002ish PC stuff still CIB back home.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

jyrque posted:

That's one game I should go back to : It's just that I remember the Almeida stage being hellishly impossible.

I have never, ever been able to figure out the first stage. I like weird games but something about this game is just not clicking with me. I've tried it out twice and I always kind of scratch my head and put it down.

I should try it out again sometime but I just have toooo mannyyy games. I was replaying the beginning of RE4 for GC and also didn't get very far again because :effort: and I know that's one game I really should loving finish.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

The Milkman posted:

Do people actually pay those prices? Fairly certain I still have Megaman Legends and a bunch of other 1998-2002ish PC stuff still CIB back home.

If they're in perfect condition, yeah. You have to agree to ship international though. A lot of the higher priced PC games in my collection have gone to Germany, Iceland, Finland, etc...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I got some retro gaming stuff while I was out in the city today. Donkey Kong 64 for $30 (cart only), a silver PSP-3000 for $84 (though no game or memory stick, something I'll have to rectify), and good old Tetris for my classic gameboy for the princely sum of $7. By Aussie retro gaming standards, I think I did pretty well.

edit: VVVVVVVV

No expansion pack, just the cart. :eng101: Games are a lot more expensive here than in your big sunshine-filled place of single-digit second-hand game prices. Most N64 games go for about $20, average, here. Donkey Kong 64 (or at least the yellow cart, which is the one I got) generally goes for $45-50. Banjo-Tooie starts at $60 and climbs higher due to it being rare in PAL-land.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 17, 2012

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I got Legend of the Mystical Ninja for SNES from a goon a few months ago, and for some reason it just wouldn't work until I cleaned it endlessly and then let it sit for about a week. Now it works like a charm! I already beat it on a flash cart while my copy wasn't working, though. Anyone want one below eBay rates? :j:

I sold my Kirby Super Star to a goon in this thread today too :) expect pictures of today's retro haul soon, too!

e: DK64 for $30? Is it that rare :stonk: Did you at least get the expansion pack with it? Then again I dunno what's it's like to be Australian with the economy and stuff.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Which also reminded me I've sent a bunch of free stuff out to people and only one person replied saying they received it which was for the SLG 3000 scanline generator. Did no one else receive their stuff from me or something?

If you ever ended up shipping me a couple of tools, they haven't arrived yet; international post and all.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No expansion pack, just the cart. :eng101: Games are a lot more expensive here than in your big sunshine-filled place of single-digit second-hand game prices. Most N64 games go for about $20, average, here. Donkey Kong 64 (or at least the yellow cart, which is the one I got) generally goes for $45-50. Banjo-Tooie starts at $60 and climbs higher due to it being rare in PAL-land.

Man... You should invest in a flash cart, it sounds like it costs as much as you getting two more expensive games. I've been known to be a N64 hater but I nobody should have to pay that much jiust to play Banjo Tooie...

Oh, I almost forgot to attach pics! I dig Panel de Pon much more because I've never been that big a fan of the Mario/Yoshi theme, anime theme will always be my favorite :911:

(3 edits before I actually remembered to attach it)

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 17, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACID POLICE posted:

Man... You should invest in a flash cart, it sounds like it costs as much as you getting two more expensive games. I've been known to be a N64 hater but I nobody should have to pay that much jiust to play Banjo Tooie...

The best part is that I got it new as a kid for the full $100 with saved-up pocket money :shepface:.

It's simply a different economy here. $20 is about average for a good second-hand game, though PSP games are generally going for about $15 new just so stores can get rid of them (I intend to take advantage of this when I have some spare cash that's not going towards my WiiU preorder). :retrogames:

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Question for those of us who have never done Secret Santa before. Does Elfster automatically give us a person to buy for, or do we pick someone out that we want to buy for?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Ordered a copy of Neo Geo Colosseum from that Gamestop PS2 sale.

Instead get shattered PS2 box containing Neo Contra.

Oh well, at least I got some other cool shiz:

-CY Girls: The DMC ripoff you always wished Enter The Matrix was. The sword fight characters version of the game is way worse than the gunfighty characters. Other wise its pretty awesome to slow mo dive into rooms and mow dudes down. Also very cyberpunk before that was en vogue.

-Lego Soccer Mania: Got this for the GF to complete her collection of LEGO games for PS2.

-Samurai Western: Replacing my old copy that was lost in a move.

-Art of Fighting Collection: I like the fighters, yes I do.

-Guilty Gear: See above.

-Super Bust a Move 2: Are there people who hate BAM/PB/BB? I don't know any of them.

-Fighter Maker 2: The funniest game you'll ever play in your life.

-Worms 3D: I'm a big fan, I know a lot of people aren't. The GC version is the definitive one (even counting the PC version) but I have a multi tap and gently caress if I'm going to plug my GC every time I want to play this game (I am drunk 100% of these times).

-Red Star: One of my fave games is Cannon Spike, someone told me this was similar.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

El Estrago Bonito posted:

-Super Bust a Move 2: Are there people who hate BAM/PB/BB? I don't know any of them.

I was addicted to god drat Puzzle Bobble as a kid. I actively avoid it in any form because I know I'll never put it down.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Since there's a lot of PS2 discussion, why not discuss the games you got or try to figure out what games to play first? We have a PS2 games thread, so you can read up on some of the games you got or see if there's any more you want to get to finish your PS2 collection.

PS2 Games Discussion
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495364

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
You can do this GameStop sale online, right?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Katana Gomai posted:

If you ever ended up shipping me a couple of tools, they haven't arrived yet; international post and all.

Ah yeah out of all the people I sent free stuff to you were the only one I wasn't able to, only because I can't find the drat gamebit that opens the carts. I have the one that opens the Nintendo consoles and Genesis games, but I can't find the one that opens the Nintendo games. I know it's in my home somewhere; as soon as I find it I will mail it out to you. Hopefully you are not waiting on them for a project :ohdear:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

If anyone's looking to do shipping or importing, this may be a good reference for the OP.

Granted, every game and/or box is going to weigh different due to specific carts, materials included, etc., but it could prove useful for someone wanting to ballpark shipping rates.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I somehow had a few hours to spare today so I did another SNES mod for a goon. I was able to find purple LEDs this time:

You can't really tell it's purple from the picture, though.

I am going to have to take a short break from doing this; I will still get to the ones I promised other goons but I am running out of SNES mini's and if I spend all my days with a soldering iron I'll never get around to not playing retro games :)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I have a Neo Geo MVS board here that I need to get rid of. It's an MV-1C, the same type I used to build my consolized MVS. I will be putting it up on SA mart probably.

However, I'm willing to turn it into a consolized MVS for a fellow Retro Goon, and want to put that offer here before I list the board on SA Mart. Right now price estimate for a consolized MVS is hovering around $450 (That includes the board, video encoder, unibios install and other misc parts).

My consolized MVS isn't the prettiest but it works like a champ:

If I don't get a reply within the week or so I'll put the board up on SA mart.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

HKR posted:

I have a Neo Geo MVS board here that I need to get rid of. It's an MV-1C, the same type I used to build my consolized MVS. I will be putting it up on SA mart probably.

However, I'm willing to turn it into a consolized MVS for a fellow Retro Goon, and want to put that offer here before I list the board on SA Mart. Right now price estimate for a consolized MVS is hovering around $450 (That includes the board, video encoder, unibios install and other misc parts).

My consolized MVS isn't the prettiest but it works like a champ:

If I don't get a reply within the week or so I'll put the board up on SA mart.

I've always been interested in an AES but the price is just too scary for me. A consolized MVS really interests me, though. What kind of controllers do you wire it up to use (Neo Geo sticks?)--and do you have any you would be willing to sell with it? Color me intrigued in this offer.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 17, 2012

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Agrias120 posted:

I've always been interested in an AES but the price is just too scary for me. A consolized MVS really interests me, though. What kind of controllers do you wire it up to use (Neo Geo sticks?)--and do you have any you would be willing to sell with it? Color me intrigued in this offer.

I put in DB15 ports which are what the Neo Geo home consoles use, so any AES controller will work. Sadly I only have the one I own and can't part with it, but I see them up on ebay all the time.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
It's quite easy to mod your own sticks really, get one of those dreamcast sticks, an old printer cable, a db15 and just follow this: http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=controls:neo_geo_controller

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pinguliten posted:

It's quite easy to mod your own sticks really, get one of those dreamcast sticks, an old printer cable, a db15 and just follow this: http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=controls:neo_geo_controller

I assume by Dreamcast Stick you mean the Neo*Geo knockoff ones, right?

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I assume by Dreamcast Stick you mean the Neo*Geo knockoff ones, right?

I meant the offical one, at least it was the official one in Europe, I think it's called the agetec in the us. It can usually be found cheap, it's easy to modd since no buttons are connected directly to a pcb and the buttons and sticks are passable even though you might want to change out the stick at some point. If you want to be really PrØ you can get one from Hori's real arcade pro series for the playstation 1&2 and modd those, I've modded a few of those and they're excellent with real arcade sticks and buttons in them.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

A project I've been wanting to work on for a while now is a true universal joystick. The X360+ has a daughterboard with a RJ45 port. It's currently used to wire PS2 controllers to it but I wonder how easy it would be to wire saturn/AES/other legacy consoles to it.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

More poo poo to offload:

Gen 1 Genesis, with power cable and composite video cable and three controllers.

Power Base Converter, I don't know if this works or not. I couldn't get it to boot a game, but I didn't gently caress with it much so I don't know if the contacts just need a good cleaning or if there are caps inside that need replacement or what.

Genesis games:
Sonic 3, cart, manual, box.
Sonic 3D Blast, cart, manual, box. (Cardboard box type)
Sonic & Knuckles, cart, manual, box. (Cardboard box type.)
Sword of Vermilion, cart, manual, box. Box advertises a hint book as included, I don't have that.
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, cart only.
Game Genie, don't know if this works, forgot to check.

SMS games:
Zillion 2, cart (label damaged), manual (water damaged but you can maybe steam it open, idk), box.
Phantasy Star, cart, box.
Miracle Warriors, cart, manual, box.
Rampage, cart, manual (water damaged but steamable probably), box.

If you're interested in any or all of the above, drop me a PM or an email (popecrunch@gmail) and let me know what you think is a fair price. As long as it's going to someone who is actually going to enjoy it, and I'm not losing money on shipping, I'm not that picky about making a whole lot of money on this. If you email, drop a note in the thread so I know you're One Of Us and not some ebay flipper :)

edit: dang you guys are fast

PopeCrunch fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 17, 2012

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

I somehow had a few hours to spare today so I did another SNES mod for a goon. I was able to find purple LEDs this time:

You can't really tell it's purple from the picture, though.

I am going to have to take a short break from doing this; I will still get to the ones I promised other goons but I am running out of SNES mini's and if I spend all my days with a soldering iron I'll never get around to not playing retro games :)

Yuck. You really should put that led under the power switch.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pinguliten posted:

I meant the offical one, at least it was the official one in Europe, I think it's called the agetec in the us. It can usually be found cheap, it's easy to modd since no buttons are connected directly to a pcb and the buttons and sticks are passable even though you might want to change out the stick at some point. If you want to be really PrØ you can get one from Hori's real arcade pro series for the playstation 1&2 and modd those, I've modded a few of those and they're excellent with real arcade sticks and buttons in them.

Don't cut up Green Goblins. They are worth money and are the only decent stock stick made for the DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm gonna convert all of my power bases.

• Locked thread