Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Saint Darwin posted:

So as an example, you'd call the Boston Market cornbread "southern" because it's sweet as hell, right?

I reckon I wouldn't call it anything because I've never eaten there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I need some filling recommendations for vol au vent I'm making for Thanksgiving dinner appetizers.

Going to do escargot with thyme for a set of 8--other ideas?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
The South has both. Often the unsweetened cornbreads are fried as johnny cakes and the sweetened ones are baked and may be eaten with just some butter and/or honey. It's not a strict rule though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

c0ldfuse posted:

I need some filling recommendations for vol au vent I'm making for Thanksgiving dinner appetizers.

Going to do escargot with thyme for a set of 8--other ideas?

Mushroom.

mich posted:

The South has both. Often the unsweetened cornbreads are fried as johnny cakes and the sweetened ones are baked and may be eaten with just some butter and/or honey. It's not a strict rule though.

Yes.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
I bought some super thin steaks on sale, and am not sure of the cut. They are very lean and have little fat. With normal steaks I would just sear them on high heat, but for these I was looking for some ideas? Stir fry? Country fried steak?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

dino. posted:

I wouldn't ordinarily know about this thing, but I had JUST gotten done listening to an America's Test Kitchen podcast where Chris Kimball explained this very thing.
CI/ATK's Baking Illustrated is cited as the source for the factual content of the wikipedia article as well, which says:

wikipedia posted:

In the United States, Northern and Southern cornbread are different because they generally use different types of corn meal and varying degrees of sugar and eggs.[5] A preference for sweetness and adding sugar or molasses can be found in both regions, but salty or savory tastes are sometimes more common in the South, and thus favor using buttermilk in the batter or such additions as cracklins. Cornbread is occasionally crumbled and served with cold milk similar to cold cereal. In Texas, the Mexican influence has spawned a hearty cornbread made with fresh or creamed corn kernels, jalapeño peppers and topped with shredded cheese.

Skillet-fried or skillet-baked cornbread (often simply called skillet bread or hoecake depending on the container in which it is cooked) is a traditional staple in the rural United States, especially in the South. This involves heating bacon drippings, lard or other oil in a heavy, well-seasoned cast iron skillet in an oven, and then pouring a batter made from cornmeal, egg, and milk directly into the hot grease. The mixture is returned to the oven to bake into a large, crumbly and sometimes very moist cake with a crunchy crust. This bread tends to be dense and usually served as an accompaniment rather than as a bread served as a regular course. In addition to the skillet method, such cornbread also may be made in sticks, muffins, or loaves.

A slightly different variety, cooked in a simple baking dish, is associated with northern US cuisine; it tends to be sweeter and lighter than southern-style cornbread; the batter for northern-style cornbread is very similar to and sometimes interchangeable with that of a corn muffin. A typical contemporary northern U.S. cornbread recipe contains half wheat flour, half cornmeal, milk or buttermilk, eggs, leavening agent, salt, and usually sugar, resulting in a bread that is somewhat lighter and sweeter than the traditional southern version. In the border states and parts of the Upper South, a cross between the two traditions is known as "light cornbread."
I don't own a copy of Baking Illustrated to see how accurately this reflects the claims it makes or what sources it uses. But it certainly agrees with what I would have told you.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I want to make some Mince pies, but I live in the Netherlands so I can't buy pots of suet from the store. I did some research, and now I have about a kilo of cow fat in the fridge, and this is where I'm a bit confused. According to everything I've read, this cow fat (from around the kidneys) IS suet, you can grate it up and make pastry and mince meat from it... Is that right? I really thought that I'd have to render it down before I could use it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

What happened to the chickencheese thread? I was enjoying it. Forums search yields no results for the term chickencheese :smith:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RazorBunny posted:

What happened to the chickencheese thread? I was enjoying it. Forums search yields no results for the term chickencheese :smith:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498320&pagenumber=21

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
At what temperature is Bad Stuff That's Apprently In Pork™ gone? I'm asking because I'm gonna make some, and the steak thermometer I've got suggests 79 degrees celsius for pork which seems a bit... overkill to say the least.

VVV Huh. Thanks.

Mymla fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 17, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I cook pork to 140ish

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Weird that it didn't show up in a search. Thanks!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Traveling threads are my favorite. Seeing loads of neat posts from the other forums. Hahah, good times with chickencheese.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mymla posted:

At what temperature is Bad Stuff That's Apprently In Pork™ gone? I'm asking because I'm gonna make some, and the steak thermometer I've got suggests 79 degrees celsius for pork which seems a bit... overkill to say the least.

The safe temperature is actually a function of temperature and time held at that temperature. That 79C is the safe "instantaneous" temperature. The USDA recently amended their whole meat (non-ground) pork guidelines to 145F, rested for 3 minutes. I don't have the exact charts, but you can get the same level of safety from 140F pork, just held at that temperature for a longer time (15 minutes is a very conservative estimate).

That steak thermometer of yours likely was printed before the guidelines were changed.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I won't kid those lower guidelines make people feel better about the rare pork shoulder steaks I like to eat.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I have the opposite problem with my meat thermometer - it doesn't go high enough! I really loved the one I had before, because you could set the alarm to any temperature, but the probes kept breaking. The heavy-duty one I got to replace it only has a few alarm settings, based on the type of meat and your "taste" (rare, medium, etc.). When I'm smoking pork shoulder or brisket I want a higher temperature than any of those.

It still reads the higher temperature, but when the temp gets above the highest setting the alarm goes off every few minutes. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately the nice tough reinforced probe on this one won't work with the box on the old one, or I'd just swap them.

Eventually I'll replace it with something that does everything I want, I guess.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I won't kid those lower guidelines make people feel better about the rare pork shoulder steaks I like to eat.

Are there still parasitic problems with pork?

Edit: Trichinosis... and apparantly yes!

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 17, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
In the US we get a dozen cases a year.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I'm trying to clear out the small fridge downstairs so it can fit the bucket I'm brining the Thanksgiving turkey in. There are a dozen bottles of Miller Lite in there. I have no idea how they got there - I'm sure someone brought them to a party at my house, but I don't know who. Should I just throw them away? I can't imagine they're good for any cooking applications, and on the very rare occasions I drink beer, it's better stuff than this.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

In the US we get a dozen cases a year.

So basically there's no real reason to eat your pork well done?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Happy Hat posted:

So basically there's no real reason to eat your pork well done?
I suppose there is if you enjoy gumming on a flavourless cud of meat.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Is there a magic ratio of potatoes butter and half n half to make awesome mashed potatoes or should I just dump a bunch in like I usually do?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

I'm trying to clear out the small fridge downstairs so it can fit the bucket I'm brining the Thanksgiving turkey in. There are a dozen bottles of Miller Lite in there. I have no idea how they got there - I'm sure someone brought them to a party at my house, but I don't know who. Should I just throw them away? I can't imagine they're good for any cooking applications, and on the very rare occasions I drink beer, it's better stuff than this.

You could use the beer to make beer bread, I've usually used cheep beer in the past when I've made it. I've only ever used the non-light macro beers though. Although that might be a waste of flour and butter, since you might gain a lot by using a better beer.

However I think you should just drink the beer. You could polish off a dozen bottles yourself no problem right? With Miller Lite, I suggest shotgunning them so that you avoid the actual taste of the beer and proceed straight to inebriation so that you can actually enjoy drinking Miller Lite. However, it's a bit trickier with a glass bottle, so you'll need to get a bendy straw so that you can get airflow into the bottle. Bend the straw and put the long end into the bottle with the bend hanging over the side. When you start drinking the beer, the straw will allow air to flow into the bottle, thus allowing you to maximize your beer throughput. You should only need to do this one or two times before you can stand the taste of Miller Lite by itself.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I can't drink more than two or three of anything fizzy or I have horrific indigestion for days :(

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

The safe temperature is actually a function of temperature and time held at that temperature. That 79C is the safe "instantaneous" temperature. The USDA recently amended their whole meat (non-ground) pork guidelines to 145F, rested for 3 minutes. I don't have the exact charts, but you can get the same level of safety from 140F pork, just held at that temperature for a longer time (15 minutes is a very conservative estimate).
According to the USDA T. spiralis is inactivated from 47 minutes at 52° C (125.6° F), 6 minutes 55° C (131° F), and instantaneously at 60° C (140° F).

I usually use 140 as a target when I'm cooking pork in a pan or in the oven, but if I'm doing it in the puddle machine I'll cook at 55 C (for at least a couple hours) and then sear it off in a pan.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Okay, this is apparently my night for silly questions. This one courtesy my mother in law.

What is this? It's some kind of pickle. My in laws helped clean out an old lady's house after she died and these were in it, and they ate them and love them. Personally I'd be wary of unknown pickled things in a dead lady's house, but hey.

They're running out, and they want to know what it is so they can make more.

It looks too dark to be watermelon rind. I thought maybe some kind of cactus pad?

Any ideas?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Long Francesco posted:

Is there a magic ratio of potatoes butter and half n half to make awesome mashed potatoes or should I just dump a bunch in like I usually do?

You cook it slowly* with the butter and cream. The key is that you are replacing the water in the potatoes with the fat in the butter and cream.
Taste it as you go, adding more and more butter and cream, and adding salt slowly, until it tastes spectacular. Then a little pepper. Cook some garlic in some butter separately and fold that deliciousness into it is another good thing.
*I mean after you've boiled the potatoes and strained them. In fact, cook the potatoes a little bit, dry, after you've boiled them, to get a little bit more of the water out before you add the fat.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 18, 2012

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

RazorBunny posted:

I can't drink more than two or three of anything fizzy or I have horrific indigestion for days :(

Pour them out, keep them refrigerated, pound at will.

Also, don't eat a dead woman's pickles. I get angry enough at my friends eating my pickles. I can't imagine what a wraith might do.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Today I got a 16.5 lb vacuum-sealed pork shoulder from Sam's Club for $1.34 because they forgot to put a weight on it and it rang up at the per-pound value. Unfortunately, due to a series of distractions that arose this afternoon, I accidentally left it out on the counter for about 6 hours (still vacuum-sealed). I probably need to throw it out, right? This seems like karmic retribution for gaming the Sam's Club system or something.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not going to lie, I would cook it anyway. I wouldn't re-refrigerate though.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Vegetable Melange posted:

Pour them out, keep them refrigerated, pound at will.

Also, don't eat a dead woman's pickles. I get angry enough at my friends eating my pickles. I can't imagine what a wraith might do.

My in-laws live in Oregon, I'm staying 3,000 miles away from those pickles.

I don't know. Maybe the dead lady would be glad they didn't go to waste?

Also, I missed the most important part of my MIL's email...they cleaned out this lady's house seven years ago. I realize that pickles can last that long, but it just makes the whole thing seem worse to me.

"Bright green food item of unknown provenance? At least seven years old? Yum!"

My other guess was maybe some kind of sweet pepper, since she says they're very sweet but doesn't mention any heat. The thin strip lying crosswise looks like it could be a slice of bell pepper. But the two thick pieces are bigger than any slice of pepper I've ever seen.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Mons Hubris posted:

Today I got a 16.5 lb vacuum-sealed pork shoulder from Sam's Club for $1.34 because they forgot to put a weight on it and it rang up at the per-pound value. Unfortunately, due to a series of distractions that arose this afternoon, I accidentally left it out on the counter for about 6 hours (still vacuum-sealed). I probably need to throw it out, right? This seems like karmic retribution for gaming the Sam's Club system or something.

No!

It's fine (smell it damnit)

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
So I have a fistful of ginger left over from buying a root for gyoza. It's coming into the arse-kicking days of summer here, so why not make ginger ale? I've never made it before and grating up a few slivers of it really made me want more. Does anyone have a nice ginger ale recipe / process? I'd like something that's a good all-rounder that'll last me forever (a syrup base that I can top up with soda water on a per-glass basis?) and doesn't object to me throwing in some lime or whatever when I feel like a bit of variety.

fake edit: ^^man I don't know how your parents aren't dead or something

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I know I already posted about this, but does anybody have any specific recommendations for a great side dish and/or salad to go with this dish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSrR0CsbGWs

For an at home dinner date. ish.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

My in-laws live in Oregon, I'm staying 3,000 miles away from those pickles.

I don't know. Maybe the dead lady would be glad they didn't go to waste?

Also, I missed the most important part of my MIL's email...they cleaned out this lady's house seven years ago. I realize that pickles can last that long, but it just makes the whole thing seem worse to me.

"Bright green food item of unknown provenance? At least seven years old? Yum!"

My other guess was maybe some kind of sweet pepper, since she says they're very sweet but doesn't mention any heat. The thin strip lying crosswise looks like it could be a slice of bell pepper. But the two thick pieces are bigger than any slice of pepper I've ever seen.

7 years?

gently caress dude!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Aaronicon posted:

So I have a fistful of ginger left over from buying a root for gyoza. It's coming into the arse-kicking days of summer here, so why not make ginger ale? I've never made it before and grating up a few slivers of it really made me want more. Does anyone have a nice ginger ale recipe / process? I'd like something that's a good all-rounder that'll last me forever (a syrup base that I can top up with soda water on a per-glass basis?) and doesn't object to me throwing in some lime or whatever when I feel like a bit of variety.

fake edit: ^^man I don't know how your parents aren't dead or something

I know it's not what you asked for, but I've followed this recipe a few times to make ginger beer:

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-ginger-beer/

It's really good and pretty easy, though the fermentation times take a bit of experimentation. I would also really recommend you use a plastic bottle instead of a glass one, since they're far less likely to explode if you make a mistake (I spent a productive half hour cleaning ginger beer from the walls at once point).

For making a ginger ale syrup, it looks like the process is similar to making a syrup out of berries (i.e. boil the ginger in sugar and water, then strain):

http://joythebaker.com/2011/06/homemade-ginger-syrup-for-ginger-ale/

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Yeah, I dunno. My in-laws are crazy. I'm guessing no one has any idea what that stuff is? (or was when it was originally pickled but has now mutated into this weird green stuff)

These are folks who saw my fried green tomato recipe on my blog and decided they would make it at home, and called me to ask what I put on it. Nothing, I told them. Obviously that was boring, so they put ranch dressing on fried green tomatoes. :sigh:

They were also outright astonished when I got their son to eat squash. Guess how I did that? By not cooking it into complete slime and actually using seasoning on it. Who knew?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
According to my ~sources~ it might be some kind of pickled seaweed.

e:

Gerblyn posted:

I know it's not what you asked for, but I've followed this recipe a few times to make ginger beer:

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-ginger-beer/

It's really good and pretty easy, though the fermentation times take a bit of experimentation. I would also really recommend you use a plastic bottle instead of a glass one, since they're far less likely to explode if you make a mistake (I spent a productive half hour cleaning ginger beer from the walls at once point).

For making a ginger ale syrup, it looks like the process is similar to making a syrup out of berries (i.e. boil the ginger in sugar and water, then strain):

http://joythebaker.com/2011/06/homemade-ginger-syrup-for-ginger-ale/

Thanks! I've heard some horror stories from a friend about making ginger beer - either exploding too much or not enough - that I think I'll start with ale. The syrup recipe looks pretty standard no matter where you go. Lots of sugar, though.

Aaronicon fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 18, 2012

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Does anyone have a favorite borscht recipe? I bought some enormous beets from the farmer's market and it sounds really tasty. Unfortunately every recipe I look up has a 1-star review from this guy

claiming that the recipe is inauthentic. Please give me a borscht recipe, with meat or without, that would impress this Seinfeld character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Solve a stupid argument for me? A friend of mine and I were discussing the different methods of cooking squid, and he told me that squid and calamari are two different animals? I always thought that they were the same thing.