Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Self defense discussions are minefield full of supposition, but here's one very specific data point supporting the argument that it's hard to deal with knives, even if you are very trained and semi-prepared mentally to deal with those risks:

http://www.cagepotato.com/ufc-vet-drew-mcfedries-stabbed-while-bouncing-at-an-iowa-strip-club/
"Hammock allegedly drew the knife and reached around McFedries’ back, inflicting stab wounds to the upper shoulder."
If the stabs were meant to hurt, it would have been way worse.

Anecdotal evidence: Back when I was a bouncer (around 1999-2000), the company got a dude in to show us us how to defend against knife attacks. He was a judo black belt and an aikido practitioner too. He showed us a number of ways to defend against the "I'ma cut ya! I'ma loving cut ya" posturing / knife waving. We drilled that stuff for an hour or so.

Then he asked if we felt confidant that we knew what we were doing if a guy attacked us with a knife. Most guys said "yeah". He gave out some magic markers, and let us attack each other and him with them. One guy "stabbing" with the marker, one guy defending. The idea being that each dot you put on your opponent was a stab wound.

Most guys would get stabbed 5-10 times before they disabled or disarmed the attacker. The judo dude would only get stabbed 1 or 2 times, usually. Sometimes he's get away clean, sometimes he'd get stabbed more. This is people with no idea how to effectively stab a dude - we'd just close and stab wildly at the opponent, which seemed to be the most effective way.

The lesson he wanted us to take away from the class was "You're gonna get stabbed". It was pretty effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I guess it's time to start carrying a knife :shrug:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Google Butt posted:

I guess it's time to start carrying a knife :shrug:

quote:

Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six
\

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
A knife is crappy for self defence because

1) escalation
2) stab wounds aren't immediately incapacitating anywhere at all
3) no range
4) legal issues (killed a guy in a bar fight, good job)
5) self defence isn't A Real Thing

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

gimpsuitjones posted:

A knife is crappy for self defence because

1) escalation
2) stab wounds aren't immediately incapacitating anywhere at all
3) no range
4) legal issues (killed a guy in a bar fight, good job)
5) self defence isn't A Real Thing

Just gonna go ahead and quote this so no one misses it.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ain't no winners in a stabbin' contest son.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Has anyone here ever have been forced to train at a McDojo just because of scheduling ? Unfortunately/Fortunately I've decided to train mostly gi BJJ now, and Im leaving my old MMA gym to another place. Unfortunately its a Gracie Barra place, and while they werent strict on their rules before, now they are trying to become a more official franchise and now have the same dumb rules about only GB Gi's.

I literally just ordered a week ago a brand new gi from one of those daily deals ( a fuji bjj gi which is awesome). I understand its a business model, and if in exchange for it we get full time instructors and more times to train thats awesome. But I wish they'd just offset the cost with some sort of "admin fee" or whatever other bullshit they want instead of making us wear this ridiculous gi with thousands of patches. Hell, I'd rather just buy a few patches and wear them but don't make me wear this stupid looking thing. It sucks because the guys here are great, so are the instructors.

A bit of a rant, Im sorry but its annoying that I have to buy a $130 gi, thats lovely by all accounts (the material on it is pretty much the same as my $40 judo gi). Also, they've instituted a rule of only wearing Gracie Barra rashguards now too! Absolutely ridiculous.

I get that they want some team cohesion but come on, I wish they werent blowing smoke up my rear end about it being a "team" rule rather than a business rule. Just be honest with me, it all comes across to me as so shady and McDojo-esque.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
if the instruction and class is good then whatever. It is dumb and annoying but just think of it as paying an admin fee with a free Gi thrown in.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

if the instruction and class is good then whatever. It is dumb and annoying but just think of it as paying an admin fee with a free Gi thrown in.

its terribly lame, especially since the gi might very well be straight up inferior. Do they just want you to buy it, or actually wear it only? Because you'd be washing it every day and then it needs a day to dry. wtf are you supposed to do the other day, not grapple?

But, I agree. If you get full time instruction and regular class, thats a price to pay and a one time $130 fee is not too bad. And now you have a giant piece of clothing staring you in the face when you're not training. Maybe it is a student retention technique

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Its incredibly lame especially since they removed their old policy of selling gi patches. I asked my instructor about gi patches and he sort of hemmed and hawed and said the only way to get them was through ebay, for like $35 plus $30 shipping is what he claimed (which isnt true, Ive found some for $30).

It seems in general, GB does NOT like to attract grapplers from other schools because they prefer those who started up through them. Its absurd, and awful business and school policy, and creates a really lovely atmosphere. Seriously, there's no worse atmosphere for a coach/student relationship than the never ending feeling of him trying to continually suck you dry for money. Yes, business is business and they need these structures to ensure all the good things about the school, but its not fair because its inherently 1.) Passive, 2.) Underhanded and 3.)Shady.

If they need to extra fees, dont do it in an inherently exploitive way, do it upfront. I'd rather pay an extra $10-20 a month (which is about the cost of a new gi amortized over a year. This is the whole payment, im not even talking the actual profit they recieve)

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

swagger like us posted:

Its incredibly lame especially since they removed their old policy of selling gi patches. I asked my instructor about gi patches and he sort of hemmed and hawed and said the only way to get them was through ebay, for like $35 plus $30 shipping is what he claimed (which isnt true, Ive found some for $30).

It seems in general, GB does NOT like to attract grapplers from other schools because they prefer those who started up through them. Its absurd, and awful business and school policy, and creates a really lovely atmosphere. Seriously, there's no worse atmosphere for a coach/student relationship than the never ending feeling of him trying to continually suck you dry for money. Yes, business is business and they need these structures to ensure all the good things about the school, but its not fair because its inherently 1.) Passive, 2.) Underhanded and 3.)Shady.

If they need to extra fees, dont do it in an inherently exploitive way, do it upfront. I'd rather pay an extra $10-20 a month (which is about the cost of a new gi amortized over a year. This is the whole payment, im not even talking the actual profit they recieve)

It would piss me off too. A judo club that would keep me from wearing my relatively new Gill gi would really piss me off. I wouldn't mind adding patches or even buying a school official gi, but let me wear any gi I want when I come to the dojo.

That's the kind of things that I really consider going at least 1 step too far. I'm not fond of forcing people to buy a school gi, but forcing it as the only uniform that will be accepted is really lovely. Especially if said gi isn't offered in many types/quality.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I am right now, because real life is crushing me pretty hard and I don't have the energy for gym drama. It's not too bad, the instructors have a good policy and the people are a lot nicer and friendly than the anti-social weirdos I used to train. Although I do miss those guys.

I dunno about ground fighting much, but i do know that if you want to do well with striking or mma arts, you really need a corner you can trust, and one of the best ways is starting from the beginning with a coach. My new gym already offered me matches with a small purse, but I've turned it down because I've been there for about a month and my style is not theirs. Also I'm out of shape and mentally deficient riggt now.

I also agree with the benefits of forming a cohesive fighting team, it works loving wonders. But you should never have to buy your friends, that's loving stupid

Edit:also my last comment evidently got misunderstood. We have a joke that only sessions you get injured in are hard sessions, and thus worth your time, and so you brag about those. I thought it was a pretty universal joke amongst martial artists

Guilty fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 15, 2012

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
yay, competition trip report now with videos!

First the victory I'm loving proud of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu4qwuxOR2M

I'm the guy with the pony tail and the blue sesh over my belt.

I could have had him on the ground I think but I was scared to get caught in an unlucky pin so I didn't dare sweep him. I like my 1:58 technique because it looks cool, but I'm mainly happy with my 2:50 right side grip, left side ippon. I've been drilling that thing the past few weeks and that was my exact game plan for the comp. I was gassed so I hosed up (didn't step in and let go of him before the end) but still happy with my timing (being an rear end in a top hat with his right sleeve, when he breaks my grip attack with the ippon seoi as soon as he tries to grip back).

Me getting destroyed by a beautiful Uchi Mata. This guy was way better and way stronger than me so I'm not too sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTFBxxlqdNc

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Nice vids, that was definitely a hard fought win! It looks like you're spending a lot of energy trying to hold them down. That'll slow you down more than it affects them and prevent you from making effective use of your mobility to generate throwing power. It's best to just mirror them and stretch out their movements to generate kuzushi. Or, if you're determined to pull down, snap them down once, and then twice more in quick succession and immediately follow into your kuzushi lift for best results.

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 16, 2012

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

CivilDisobedience posted:

Nice vids, that was definitely a hard fought win! It looks like you're spending a lot of energy trying to hold them down. That'll slow you down more than it affects them and prevent you from making effective use of your mobility to generate throwing power. It's best to just mirror them and stretch out their movements to generate kuzushi. Or, if you're determined to pull down, snap them down once, and then twice more in quick succession and immediately follow into your kuzushi lift for best results.

thx. I do work hard on keeping the right hand off my lapel (I really, really love controlling that wrist and getting a lapel grip with the other hand), but that's the only "pulling down" I feel like I'm doing. I'm pretty weak for my weight category so I tend to get pulled down a lot and stuck in arkward bent over positions. I really need to work on my kuzushi though, that and stop hesitating/thinking during fights.

Also there was a lot of "poo poo I just lost 2 fights, I'm either gonna win this one or make it last the whole 3 mins" so I am pretty defensive/stiff.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 16, 2012

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
This week has been a bit frustrating for judo because Thursdays session made me really consider if I should continue at that club. While the people there are great, there's a lot of teenaged boys there who seem to think that because I'm a short, easy to lift girl in my 20s it's acceptable for them to smash me into the ground like some sort of crash test dummy. It's gotten to a point where I avoid being partnered up with certain people because I can't handle how roughly they play and they can't/won't tone it down. I'm sure they don't want to hurt me or anything, but having to constantly be on my guard to ensure my breakfall is exactly right so I don't get injured by some overenthusiastic 15 year old is pretty ridiculous.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Rolling with teenagers is why I needed shoulder surgery. gently caress rolling with teenagers.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I admit that I was once one of those over-enthusiastic teenagers. Have you actually said anything to them directly or have you just been hoping they'll get the point? Because I know as a kid I definitely had no ability to read between the lines.

If you've literally told them to take it easier on you because you're small and they're still loving off then it's time to knock them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper. It's the only way we learn.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Novum posted:

I admit that I was once one of those over-enthusiastic teenagers. Have you actually said anything to them directly or have you just been hoping they'll get the point? Because I know as a kid I definitely had no ability to read between the lines.

If you've literally told them to take it easier on you because you're small and they're still loving off then it's time to knock them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper. It's the only way we learn.

I've been asked if I want to roll and I reply with "sure but I'm rolling really light today." They say "okay cool" and then proceed to try and crank on my arm forcing kimuras and americanas. It's wild.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm glad I just do striking so I don't have to worry about some overzealous shithead tearing all the tendons in my knee or something. We have similar problems with people going too hard occasionally but they end up getting beaten into line by better people.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

froglet posted:

I'm sure they don't want to hurt me or anything, but having to constantly be on my guard to ensure my breakfall is exactly right so I don't get injured by some overenthusiastic 15 year old is pretty ridiculous.

For totally practical reasons like your safety, just avoid working with partners who aren't concerned for your safety. From my anecdotal evidence, injuries in judo happen most with white belts from negligence, and high level black belts from impact. Really, it's just not worth working with people who aren't going to consider your safety and well-being.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

mewse posted:

I'm glad I just do striking so I don't have to worry about some overzealous shithead tearing all the tendons in my knee or something. We have similar problems with people going too hard occasionally but they end up getting beaten into line by better people.

that's often what happens in grappling too.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yeah and you can get hurt against dudes who go to far in striking too. Dude got kicked in the kneck in his third mma lesson sparring against some fucker who's been doing thai for years.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I guess I'm just happy with my gym then :unsmith:

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Anyone have statistics on injury rates comparing BJJ and Judo? Im curious to think if the impact part of the sport in Judo make it have a higher injury rate than BJJ

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010
Oh man, those were great videos. That first throw you pointed out looks so good. Your attack at 2.50 was so clever! Attacking as he pulls his other hang back is so smart, I'm gonna have to start working something like that into my attacks.
I cannot believe how far he's stepping out for those Osoto gari he tries a couple times. That just looks so unsafe.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Had a great sparring session tonight, with this big Russian dude who is exactly my size (185cm/90kg), who is a very decent boxer but needs to work on his kicking.

He caught me with some good right hands, I got some good counter knees and kicks in, and our coach praised us both for our efforts afterwards. So far so good.

Three hours later my foot starts to hurt, so I ice it, then it swells up and hurts even more.
Now I can't loving sleep because of the pain, and I think my foot is broken. Last year I broke the left one in sparring, now apparently the right one.
I didn't notice anything in the gym, everything was fine, I ran up the stairs in the subway, then sat at home for over two hours with absolutely no pain.
Oh well, off to the hospital tomorrow, the X-ray will show what's what.

How could I go almost ten years of MT training with no major injuries, and now three fractures in 18 months? And why does this poo poo start to hurt after three hours with zero symptoms? I'm utterly baffled.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Novum posted:

I have no problem telling the boys to take it easy, but some of them don't make the connection that means 'no hulk smashing froglet into the ground'. I tend to avoid the particularly bad ones, the only issue being I'm the only girl in my age group, so my choice of partner is either teenaged boys or considerably older women. Not that I mind practicing with the older ladies, just that some of them have injuries or play purely for the social aspect.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Lectim posted:

Oh man, those were great videos. That first throw you pointed out looks so good. Your attack at 2.50 was so clever! Attacking as he pulls his other hang back is so smart, I'm gonna have to start working something like that into my attacks.
I cannot believe how far he's stepping out for those Osoto gari he tries a couple times. That just looks so unsafe.

Thanks a lot, I'm really proud of those two throws. Competitions are so different from regular randoris it's hard to describe. It's the first time I really do legit throws I work on at the club during comps instead of some weird lovely thing that kind of ressembles an actual technique. I'm really not the best person to emulate though, I'm not particularly good and there's so many glaring holes in my game. Judo is just starting to click and I finally feel like I get what is going on... sometimes hahaha. gently caress this learning curve!

And yeah, he was overreaching since he knew he was short on points and time was almost up so he needed to score big and fast. I could have used it against him. But I was up on point and scared of losing so I played it super safe.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

swagger like us posted:

Anyone have statistics on injury rates comparing BJJ and Judo? Im curious to think if the impact part of the sport in Judo make it have a higher injury rate than BJJ

I'm willing to be that even though BJJ has ankle locks, knee locks, spinal locks, shoulder locks, wrist locks, calf crushers, bicep slicers and neck cranks, Judo will have a higher injury rate just because of impact and momentum.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So had one of those sessions where you feel like everything goes right and things just "click". I feel like I'm actually not freezing up and trying to fling blind knees during the clinch anymore but instead actually jockeying for superior position and going for knockdowns when I can.

Clinching is fun but ugh my neck the day after :unsmith:

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I'm willing to be that even though BJJ has ankle locks, knee locks, spinal locks, shoulder locks, wrist locks, calf crushers, bicep slicers and neck cranks, Judo will have a higher injury rate just because of impact and momentum.

Do crushers/slicers have a high rate of injury? I thought they were just pain moves.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I think I've developed a phobia of leg locks after spending like two hours watching Imanari hobble people on the internet. I'm not sure how often that stuff actually happens, but thinking about it makes me cringe.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Novum posted:

I think I've developed a phobia of leg locks after spending like two hours watching Imanari hobble people on the internet. I'm not sure how often that stuff actually happens, but thinking about it makes me cringe.

Beg borrow or steal (do not steal) footage of the leglockstravaganza that happened on Bellator last night.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Do crushers/slicers have a high rate of injury? I thought they were just pain moves.

Crushers and slicers are not pain moves. Like an amrbar, there is a fair bit of pain associated with it, so most people know when they're in trouble even if they don't know what it is. However, the move will essentially explode the joint.

Think of metal nutcracker. You put a walnut in and squeeze the arms, the walnut cracks due to the huge amounts of force the shape generates. Now replace the walnut with a steel ball. The weakest point of the system is now the hinge of the nutcracker.

Lots of people think that it's a pain move, but it's actually one of the most horrific joint attacks out there if someone is too stubborn to tap to one.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_khBvb3fcI

Slicers and Crushers are not pain moves, in the same way that an armbar hurts but isn't pain compliance. There are consequences.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

:staredog:

I gotta admire his immediate response to the break.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Right? That sound alone was enough to make me wince but he's just like, "Oh, exploded elbow, another day at the office I guess" :black101: Seems like a high price to pay for humility though.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlbMwuAZJQQ
On one hand I guess the dude was kind of asking for it, but without the whole story I can't say. Looks like the instructor lost his cool a bit.

E: "a bit" :stare: wonder what he said to him.

T.S. Smelliot fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

awkward_turtle posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_khBvb3fcI

Slicers and Crushers are not pain moves, in the same way that an armbar hurts but isn't pain compliance. There are consequences.

:stare:
God drat.

The guy's reaction is pretty good though.

• Locked thread