Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

More songs need emoticons in their lyrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuP2vwxDMkg
Yep, that's Coby and Helmeppo. Captain and Lieutenant Commander respectively.

Film Z effort post coming later tonight if the end of the episode tonight is what I expect it will be. Also, I believe there's filler confirmed for December, so hopefully the pacing for the next arc will be decent.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just watched 572. Is it just me, or did the anime make Tashigi's breasts larger? I don't remember them being that comically large in the manga. Also I miss the light green color the anime used for Smoker's hair before.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That's just something that happens with One Piece girls. There's a pic of it for Nami I believe.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

That's just something that happens with One Piece girls. There's a pic of it for Nami I believe.

Robin a few episodes ago while talking about Posedian was insane.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

:neckbeard: Yay, Smoker and Tashigi! Smoker's hair color was always white in the manga, so I guess they decided to go from green to white to show aging and stress. :ohdear:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Now that Fishman Island is over, I was kind of disappointed that octopus swordsman never did anything at all. He poisoned Luffy and it seemed like he did it on accident. So I figured something might have been up with him, but then he just turned out like the others and took all the drugs and everything and he's too old to return like Buggy or something.

In short, I felt a little disappointed he wasn't as important as he was made out to be.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Shadow0 posted:

Now that Fishman Island is over, I was kind of disappointed that octopus swordsman never did anything at all. He poisoned Luffy and it seemed like he did it on accident. So I figured something might have been up with him, but then he just turned out like the others and took all the drugs and everything and he's too old to return like Buggy or something.

In short, I felt a little disappointed he wasn't as important as he was made out to be.
Yeah, I'd always thought that was strange too. It seemed like he was a lot more powerful than he was but Zoro just stomped him when he got serious.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I think it was supposed to be something of a callback to when Mihawk curbstomped Zoro.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
It's as Zoro told him when he compared him to a frog in a well: he peaked at being 'strongest in Fishman Island' but never progressed beyond that, while Zoro wants to be the best in the entire world.

At the beginning of the series, Zoro was feared throughout the East Blue and and then along came Mihawk from the Grand Line (out of boredom, no less) to show him the difference between them, not just in physical strength but experience in facing different types of opponents that force you to improve your tactics.

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 11, 2012

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Shadow0 posted:

The entire arc was just an excuse for the strawhats to flex and show what new poo poo they got.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Azzents posted:

The entire arc was just an excuse for the strawhats to flex and show what new poo poo they got.

It's wasn't quite that I was expecting him to be exceptionally powerful, but he did stand up to a JET Pistol and even poison Luffy. And when he said he *accidentally* poisoned Luffy, I thought he'd turn out to be an undercover agent or *something*, but he just became as generic as the other Fishmen.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Bobulus posted:

Well, that's sort of the point, isn't it? Usopp's way of fighting, even from the beginning, has been lies catching his opponents off guard. From bluffing with fake hammers to lighting his opponent on fire to pretending to run away and/or actually running away.

I'm not saying he could beat Luffy if both were having their best day, but he's adaptable and could probably give him a run for his money, given enough preparation time, even post- time skip.

So Usopp is like a lovely batman?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Philosopher King posted:

He's an endearing lovely Batman.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Philosopher King posted:

Actually I'd say he's like a good Batman, because Batman's preparations, intellect and gadgets have gotten absolutely idiotic over the decades to the point where he rarely seems to lose and most people expect him to win even against opponents like Superman. Something the actual comics back up given his win to lose ratio against people of that caliber. Usopp remains a human and interesting character because you know he's still scared inside most of the time and putting on a brave face, that a lot of the time he wins through lies and bravado as opposed to, or at least in conjunction with, gadgets and over complicated plans. He even losses on a pretty regular basis. He still acts like a person around his friends, and gives a lot of humanity to a crew of otherwise (awesome) freaks because he reacts so normally to the poo poo they do. Bruce Wayne is nothing but a disguise in many ways to Batman, and it makes the character feel less than human because he's so superhumanely focused and attached to his cause.

Not that Batman doesn't have stories that portray him better than that mind, across a variety of mediums, but there's a lot of bad Batman stuff out there and it's somewhat colored perception of the character over the years.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 12, 2012

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Wow, I forgot how fantastic the beginning of Thriller Bark was. Brook's intro is great, and everything that's the crew, minus Nami, Usopp and Chopper, facing spooky things is just hilarious.

So, What are you doing here?
Well, zombi stuff. Being buried, rotting.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I absolutely lose it every time I see the scene where the zombie pops out of the grave and Luffy just looks at him awkwardly and tries to push him back underground.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Kingtheninja posted:

I absolutely lose it every time I see the scene where the zombie pops out of the grave and Luffy just looks at him awkwardly and tries to push him back underground.

Yeah, that scene was amazing. It rivals the islands song scene during the Skypiea arc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i25e7UKSnMs

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 13, 2012

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

lordfrikk posted:

Yeah, that scene was amazing. It rivals the islands song scene during the Skypiea arc.

Luffy actually repurposes the islands song while he's riding the "cerberus", making it about all the interesting things he's seeing.

When he tames the cerberus is hillarious as well. The soothing good doggies as it's biting him.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 13, 2012

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

preparations, intellect and gadgets have gotten absolutely idiotic over the decades

What, like the explosive tree wolf thing?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shadow0 posted:

No, more like having rockets that can take you to space buried under your mansion, plans to take down all your friends in horrific ways should they ever stop being so friendly and being a master of almost all the various scientific fields, most every martial art ever, the world's greatest detective, versed in several languages and various other disciplines.

Usopp being able to make some explosives and provide a couple of fun gadgets that make Oda's job as a story teller easier aren't going to result in him taking down Kizaru, becoming a genius in practically every discipline imaginable or anything of the sort. He's still limited and human when compared to the people around him, even with a bag full of cool poo poo. Batman doesn't have that constraint and is in many ways more superhuman/inhuman and powerful than most of the rest of the world of American Superheroes, up to and including Superman, a guy who can tug planets around and take a comfortable stroll on the surface of a star or black hole.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

Shadow0 posted:

In explosive tree wolf's defense would we really be giving him so much crap if it was an uber nut that exploded on impact? Or a pellet that exploded with fire? Yes it is a pretty crazy plant but it grew from another really crazy plant the size of an island.

In conclusion: that island's f'd up

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Basically it was an exploding shell with a cool effect behind it. And he's had those before, remember? Off the top of my head, when he fired his slingshot at the flag during the Enies Lobby fight, it looked like a burning phoenix.

I'm assuming, of course, that had the nose not gotten hit, the wolf itself would have not done jack diddly.

The reason his fight in Fishman Island seemed straightforward was that it was... Oda is basically showing you the simple, straightforward uses for all of his new ammo. But Usopp's ability is unconventional tactics. This is a guy who used wine as a flammable material, ketchup as a blood-fakeout, and two cooking pans and some paper mache as a fake giant hammer. Basically, expect to see those same ammos used in really weird ways in the future.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 15, 2012

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bobulus posted:

Basically it was an exploding shell with a cool effect behind it. And he's had those before, remember? Off the top of my head, when he fired his slingshot at the flag during the Enies Lobby fight, it looked like a burning phoenix.

That was Sogeking, dude.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I thought I was the only one who thought that about Batman. And the same fans who think he's awesome because of that bash Superman for being too powerful - always seemed a little unfair to me.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

Justin_Brett posted:

I thought I was the only one who thought that about Batman. And the same fans who think he's awesome because of that bash Superman for being too powerful - always seemed a little unfair to me.

Yeah I always despise when something gets too powerful. Superman was always my least favorite hero because seriously you may as well list what he can't do. "He can leap tall buildings in a single bound" not that it really matters because he can loving fly. I will never understand how a man that powerful takes an hour and a half to stop anyone.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dukeofdummies posted:

I will never understand how a man that powerful takes an hour and a half to stop anyone.

World of Cardboard rule - he's constantly holding back so he doesn't just kill everyone with a single punch. At least, that's what he said himself.

Anyway, when's the new movie coming out? How soon do you think we'll have a decent dub?

EDIT: "gently caress you, we're gonna wreck up the place" happens surprisingly often in One Piece filler. Hell, I can think of at least three filler arcs that ended that way. It's pretty much the best.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 16, 2012

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dukeofdummies posted:

Yeah I always despise when something gets too powerful. Superman was always my least favorite hero because seriously you may as well list what he can't do. "He can leap tall buildings in a single bound" not that it really matters because he can loving fly. I will never understand how a man that powerful takes an hour and a half to stop anyone.

Superman is great when he's written well. You've got essentially a human god which gives you access to a lot of interesting takes on things, takes which of course DC rarely manages to examine. Really the most common problem seems to be that Batman writers really want to write a Superman story and Superman writers are trying their best to write a Batman story. How can I gimp my demigod down a few notches to human? I don't know, I'm busy trying to figure out how to make my human into a demigod.

In One Piece Anime related text, I watched the Foxy filler that followed Thriller Bark for the first time. Even with two stupid filler kids and Foxy idiocy it was actually kind of enjoyable. I honestly was not expecting the response to a kidnapping to be "gently caress you, we're gonna wreck up the place."

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Anyway, when's the new movie coming out? How soon do you think we'll have a decent dub?
Z is coming out in Japan on December 15th. I, uh, need to get on making an effortpost in this thread since Fishman Island is wrapping up in the anime and there's no more risk of spoilers, ie Aokiji, Akainu, Marine stuff.

Strong World dub is next year sometime and there were quickly retracted rumors from Funimation (with episode numbers and everything) about them acquiring Season 6 (Thriller Bark to Impel Down) and Z at the same time as Season 5 and Strong World. But the soonest they would be dubbed, if true, would be 2014.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Have a new trailer for Film Z

The Avril Lavigne kinda kills the trailer for me :(, otherwise its pretty awesome!

bondster fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 17, 2012

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Did Z have the same level of suport from Oda as Strong World did? Because that trailer shows a girl using a Devil Fruit power that looks a whole lot like Supernova Jewelry Bonnie's.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I can't fathom a reason why would they even go for Avril Lavigne, it seems weirdly inadequate for a trailer, even more so for an anime trailer. Other than that, this was the first time I saw anything of the new movie and I'm looking forward to it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Sounds exactly like any other trailer with JPop in it to me, it's just someone we recognize this time.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

lordfrikk posted:

I can't fathom a reason why would they even go for Avril Lavigne, it seems weirdly inadequate for a trailer, even more so for an anime trailer. Other than that, this was the first time I saw anything of the new movie and I'm looking forward to it.

Oda loves Avril Lavgine. Avril Lavigne is a huge One Piece fan. The two of them found these things out about each other.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

Did Z have the same level of suport from Oda as Strong World did? Because that trailer shows a girl using a Devil Fruit power that looks a whole lot like Supernova Jewelry Bonnie's.

I'm not sure how much input Oda has, but considering that Z entered production long after Bonney was introduced I would imagine she either isn't using a devil fruit to achieve that effect on Nami, or got the same effect by a different fruit. She may have simply shrunk Nami rather than de-aging her for instance. Her face doesn't really look younger, or even particularly smaller - just closer to the ground. I think I recall reading in the manga thread that Oda has as much input in it as with Strong World, and it would seem to make sense considering that Z seems to be put on a par with Whitebeard and Roger in the trailer - I could just be making it up in my head though.

Momomo posted:

Sounds exactly like any other trailer with JPop in it to me, it's just someone we recognize this time.

Yea, I've no issue with Avril Lavinge being used, or even her voice - jpop is no different after all, I just wish she'd made an original song for the trailer/film, because neither song used really suits what's actually happening in the trailer. Both are too slow for something that's so full of quick cuts and action I think.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tsob posted:

I'm not sure how much input Oda has, but considering that Z entered production long after Bonney was introduced I would imagine she either isn't using a devil fruit to achieve that effect on Nami, or got the same effect by a different fruit. She may have simply shrunk Nami rather than de-aging her for instance. Her face doesn't really look younger, or even particularly smaller - just closer to the ground. I think I recall reading in the manga thread that Oda has as much input in it as with Strong World, and it would seem to make sense considering that Z seems to be put on a par with Whitebeard and Roger in the trailer - I could just be making it up in my head though.

On the aging fruit it's diffrent but similer.

Ain
A. Only makes things younger

B. Ain's powers work on anything

C. Has to touch target to use power on it

Bonney
A. Make things Younger or Older

B. Only works on Living things

C. Does not need to touch to use powers

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Watching that trailer again, Whitebeard looks weird with long blond hair and his trademark giant white mustache.

MonsterEnvy posted:

On the aging fruit it's diffrent but similer.

Ain
A. Only makes things younger

B. Ain's powers work on anything

C. Has to touch target to use power on it

Bonney
A. Make things Younger or Older

B. Only works on Living things

C. Does not need to touch to use powers

How do you write yourself into a place where you need to mostly copy an already existing Devil Fruit ability? At least if is was a Zoanish plot requisite power you wouldn't be going against the feel of devil fruits. Hell even a Logia lets you play with different similar but different "elements". Paramecia powers on the other hand I don't think we've ever seen have similar powers. I guess there was the one guy at Enies Lobby who ate a berry fruit that sort of kind of gave him similar disembodiment powers to Buggy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyges posted:

Watching that trailer again, Whitebeard looks weird with long blond hair and his trademark giant white mustache.

How do you write yourself into a place where you need to mostly copy an already existing Devil Fruit ability? At least if is was a Zoanish plot requisite power you wouldn't be going against the feel of devil fruits. Hell even a Logia lets you play with different similar but different "elements". Paramecia powers on the other hand I don't think we've ever seen have similar powers. I guess there was the one guy at Enies Lobby who ate a berry fruit that sort of kind of gave him similar disembodiment powers to Buggy.

Yeah Berry Goods powers are a lot like Buggy's but he breaks into balls when hit by blunt force.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Kalifa and Alvida have similar powers. One makes others slippery while the other makes herself slippery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
To be fair, Shiki's henchmen in Strong World kinda sucked too.