Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Fantastic episode with one exception: the scene where they all stand in the lab and give us the cliffnotes version of an episode they couldn't make because Leonard Nimoy couldn't/wouldn't do it. I understand why but it was a little confusing.

Why would Walter et al. trust William Bell post-him-trying-to-destroy-the-entire-universe-and-replace-it-with-lovely-cgi-batmonsters? Walter, do you remember when he basically forced you to shoot Olivia in the face? When his henchman shot Astro? Water under the bridge, eh?

And then apparently William Bell was deceiving them. SHOCKER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I just had my first Red Vine. My god, what the hell is Walter thinking?

I'm definitely in the Twizzlers camp.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Aatrek posted:

I just had my first Red Vine. My god, what the hell is Walter thinking?

I'm definitely in the Twizzlers camp.

Yeah, Red Vines are terrible.
Completely flavorless.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Was it just me or were the head movements of the Oberservers/Peter really overplayed this episode?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I don't know why thinking and acting and predicting to such a higher degree automatically means you must become autistic.

I can't wait for the inevitable scene where Walter makes some absolutely delicious and tasteful meal and Peter has to pretend he can taste it at all. Followed by asking where the pepper is.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Was it just me or were the head movements of the Oberservers/Peter really overplayed this episode?

Yeah, all the stuff with him being more "logical" and less emotional made sense, but the stuff like weird head movements and whatnot just made no sense and it made things much less believable, and was pretty annoying.

It doesn't help that Joshua Jackson is the worst actor on the show by miles.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Deakul posted:

Completely flavorless.

Is Red Vines a sponsor or just a humorous dick move by the producers after Twizzlers stopped advertising?

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

What I think really bugs me is that Peter and especially Olivia are all of a sudden such tragic characters now, and really mostly off-screen during the season break too. They've had a daughter, lost their daughter, came back, lost their daughter AGAIN and now Olivia is pretty much losing Peter because he's turning into some kind of proto-Observer. And we've only ever really seen half of it while the whole backstory is basically told in one cheesy flashback sequence of a kid running in a park and observers appearing. I think that's also why I didn't really care about Ettas death all that much, even though it's obviously a catalyst for how the show is going to end.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
There are definitely limitations to the budget, or not being able to get Spock back in person again, that are hindering a bit of the scope the story is going for right now. I'm trying to just kind of accept it without too much fuss because it's great we have all of this finality to the show at all. Remember how depressed and sad this place used to get when everyone was worrying about ratings? Oh man.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

AwkwardKnob posted:

There are definitely limitations to the budget, or not being able to get Spock back in person again, that are hindering a bit of the scope the story is going for right now. I'm trying to just kind of accept it without too much fuss because it's great we have all of this finality to the show at all. Remember how depressed and sad this place used to get when everyone was worrying about ratings? Oh man.

Yeah exactly. I'll take a somewhat lower budget season that might miss a couple of important points or feel a little off-kilter if it means being able to finish the story, rather than having some guesswork cliffhanger that gets answered a year from now at Comic Con or something.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Did they retcon what happened before this season? I feel like there is a big gap between the last season and this one, and I'm not excactly sure what happened.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
wrong thread

az posted:

Did they retcon what happened before this season? I feel like there is a big gap between the last season and this one, and I'm not excactly sure what happened.

Everything happened from Season 4. Then they got ambered.

der juicen fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 18, 2012

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I guess the thing for this season is like, Walter and Peter giving up their humanity to save the world. I kinda hope there's no reset button, they both become the thing they loathe the most but it's worth it because it saves everyone else.
It seems to be leaving Olivia out a bit, but oh well.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Calling it now. Peter -> September.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Ingram posted:

Nah I think the kid Observer is September. I like the 'Peter is the first Observer' theory. They'd have to find a way to mesh it into the Observers still existing after Peter poofed himself out of the universe, though.

girlwithgloves
Jun 5, 2011

Taffer posted:

Yeah, all the stuff with him being more "logical" and less emotional made sense, but the stuff like weird head movements and whatnot just made no sense and it made things much less believable, and was pretty annoying.

It doesn't help that Joshua Jackson is the worst actor on the show by miles.

I interpreted it as the show expressing to us just how much that little device changes and removes our humanity. We become robotic in our perceptions and expressions; a Data from ST:NG in "meat bag" form.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

az posted:

Yeah, there was a four or five year gap between last season and the characters getting ambered.

ODC
Jul 8, 2005

Is this sexy?

Ingram posted:

At one point I was thinking maybe Peter -> Windmark.

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, there was a four or five year gap between last season and the characters getting ambered.

Season 4 ends in 2012, the Observers invade in 2015, and the Fringe team gets ambered sometime in 2015-2016.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

girlwithgloves posted:

The Man Who Sold The World was the most perfect Bowie song choice. I always wondered if they would provide Bowie fan payoff after all of those Bowie references and drat, was that perfect!

Yeah, that was one of the best soundtrack choices of the entire series. I actually prefer the Nirvana cover, but the Bowie version worked better for the scene.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ingram posted:

Bandwagoning this theory.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

the Nirvana cover

Ohhh that's why the song sounded familiar. I'm young and stupid and didn't realize it was a cover.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
If Peter is September. Can he redo the past when he distracted Walter from finding the cure for himself? If so then they can avoid everything from happening and reset the universe.

Depends what kind of time travel theory they go with?

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

Ingram posted:

If Peter is September. Can he redo the past when he distracted Walter from finding the cure for himself? If so then they can avoid everything from happening and reset the universe.

Depends what kind of time travel theory they go with?

Then you would have the issue of Walter and Bell trying to turn themselves into gods (since without either Peter being alive, Walter probably wouldn't care about saving his humanity).

There doesn't seem to be a simple solution to that problem...

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

That's the thing that's tripping people up. Because the last we saw of Bell he was being a dick and killing Olivia. So then having it jump ahead to a point where he's ambered with them to grab his hand just seems like we've missed something in the mix.

greenchair
Jan 30, 2008

Deakul posted:

Completely flavorless.

So are twizzlers.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
The Red Vines I had tasted like dry wax. So gross. Twizzlers are awesome, shut your face.

Double Deuce
Nov 26, 2011
Olivia has been too much in the background so far. In the earlier seasons she was the lead, if anybody was. I was hoping she would confront Peter: "Remember that time that I had scary superpowers? And I killed people and almost destroyed the universe and Walter had to shoot me in the face? Let's talk this through."

I'm enjoying the Peter stuff though. He's a loner again, just like when we first met him, and during his solo shapeshifter killing spree, and when he left Olivia to search for Etta. Peter and Olivia and Walter each get a bit dangerous when you take them away from the other two.

And anyway, what's the betting at on parallel universes coming up? Walter, Astrid, Peter, and Bell were ambered in the old typewriter shop (right?), and Magic Screen is in the lab basement. Maybe that broken radio is even set to a B-universe station, WZFT. Who knows. (This is starting to feel like an adventure game, when you've collected a bunch of items and you're wondering what they're for.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They did name-check the B-side when discussing where Walter's pocket universe came from, saying that he and Donald built it in a place where the two universes butt up against each other. That does seem like a likely set-up. Plus, the shipment from the future showed up in lighting very much like the lightning that was produced when Walternate turned on the machine.

It would be interesting if Walter had to bridge the two universes again to get help and ended up loving both of them up again. Though I guess he would know how to make the machine again to fix it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Donald really needs revealing soon considering there are only 5/6 episodes left

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

greenchair posted:

So are twizzlers.

Your taste buds are broken.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Ingram posted:

Then I'm calling this:

September -> Donald.

(Somewhere around 2015, Walter helps September remove his neck-tech and he regrows his hair and regains his humanity.)

ODC
Jul 8, 2005

Is this sexy?

utonium posted:

Then I'm calling this:

September -> Donald.

(Somewhere around 2015, Walter helps September remove his neck-tech and he regrows his hair and regains his humanity.)

I think it would be cooler if Donald turned out to be this fellow: http://fringepedia.net/wiki/Donald_Long

Peter and Olivia killed him in the original timeline so he may have been brought back like David Robert Jones.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

September can't be Peter, because his whole appreciation of Peter is what inspired him to go back to the moment where Walternate would find a cure, loving up everything so far, I would think.

^burtle fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 19, 2012

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
Was there a resolution to "Peter's debt" storyline that never really went anywhere?

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

Was there a resolution to "Peter's debt" storyline that never really went anywhere?

Walter took care of that. Debt is not a problem for someone who's done acid.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

^burtle posted:

September can't be Peter, because his whole appreciation of Peter is what inspired him to go back to the moment where Walternate would find a cure, loving up everything so far, I would think.

I don't think Peter is the first Observer/September. I just think his transformation into an Observer means that the success of Walter's plan will also mean the death/banishment of PeterObserver. Walter will once again be forced to decide between the safety of their universe and his love for Peter.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
September will be a descendant of Peter/Olivia. Plus, it seems his story ended tragically like all Peter/Olivia offspring. Although I think it would a tidier story if he turned out to be Astrid's descendant.

Also, there hasn't been an explanation yet for all the Etta Resist posters, has there? It's odd that they suddenly appeared and no one has commented on them. The Observers would never allow them to remain but they are everywhere. I'm wondering if only the audience can see them.

Edit: almost forgot what I came to post... The Science Channel is rerunning Fringe beginning Tuesday, Nov 21st (2 days from now). The pilot episode will come on at 8pm EST followed by episode 2.

wormil fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 19, 2012

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

wormil posted:

Also, there hasn't been an explanation yet for all the Etta Resist posters, has there? It's odd that they suddenly appeared and no one has commented on them. The Observers would never allow them to remain but they are everywhere. I'm wondering if only the audience can see them.

Eh, I think it's perfectly believable (at least by Fringe standards) that the resistance has a shitload of members in it that are capable of putting up a bunch of posters overnight. I mean, the entire world has been enslaved for 20 years, you figure there's a decent amount of people that are still pissed, even if they're not all actual resistance soldiers/saboteurs. As for why they're still up, I think they've shown that the Observers are basically robots. They can read minds but they still don't really understand human emotion. I can totally see them not understanding or simply not caring that the posters are supposed to be a form of propaganda against them.

Then again as I wrote that I remembered that they have giant posters of themselves hanging all over the city so I guess they are familiar with at least the basic concept of propaganda. Yeah I'm going with the "They just don't think it's significant enough to give a drat" theory.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

We only ever seem to see the posters when Peter's around doing something crazy, I'm anticipating some kind of Doctor Who "Bad Wolf" time magic at the height of his powers, tying into what he said about making sure everyone knows how important she was. Anything much more mundane would really raise all these questions about how/why the resistance is hanging the things off skyscrapers and deep inside baldy territory. (Not that "TV show looking cool" would be a terrible answer or anything)

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unclean
Jun 28, 2002
It just hit me who the Observer that Peter steals the tech from in episode 5 looks like. A bald but just as pasty Conan O'Brien. I knew he had to be some kind of mutant or future human to be that pale white!

• Locked thread