Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Pinguliten posted:

It's quite easy to mod your own sticks really, get one of those dreamcast sticks, an old printer cable, a db15 and just follow this: http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=controls:neo_geo_controller

You can buy PSX-Neo adapters real cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
So I was digging through my compact discs and was surprised to find this:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Don't cut up Green Goblins. They are worth money and are the only decent stock stick made for the DC.

Agreed... what the hell is happening to this thread? Disc-only collections, advocating the maiming of useful peripherals...

For shame! :colbert:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

zenintrude posted:

Agreed... what the hell is happening to this thread? Disc-only collections, advocating the maiming of useful peripherals...

For shame! :colbert:

modding a useful peripheral to make it more useful is a-okay :colbert:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I've been looking for a reasonable Saturn Karaoke model for awhile and haven't been able to find one.

I did, however, find these: (Speakers)

And this! (Amp)

The speaker logos are funny because they're meant to be hung sideways above your super sweet karaoke setup.

The speakers were NOS and the Amp is quite used, but both work really well. The amp also has outs for another speaker set, presumably the ones that are supposed to stand. :ohdear:

Bonus:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fatpat268 posted:

Yuck. You really should put that led under the power switch.

Yeah I'll do that but then you can't see that it's purple :saddowns:

OSI bean dip posted:

So I was digging through my compact discs and was surprised to find this:

I had that! You could only get it from the power club catalog in Nintendo Power. It's probably worth money.

I had some other SNES soundtracks from the catalog too but I remembered DKC only because you posted the pictures.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 18, 2012

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I had that! You could only get it from the power club catalog in Nintendo Power. It's probably worth money.

I had some other SNES soundtracks from the catalog too but I remembered DKC only because you posted the pictures.

I am contemplating selling the disc for a decent value. It seems to go for $50-$120 CAD.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Sure you could:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fatpat268 posted:

Sure you could:

What the...did you drill a hole there?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I kind of like the LED on the front--it's reminiscent if the OG SNES model. I guess any new LEDs that you are putting in there are probably excruciatingly bright compared to that old red light, though, so maybe top mounted is better.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

I've been looking for a reasonable Saturn Karaoke model for awhile and haven't been able to find one.

I did, however, find these: (Speakers)

And this! (Amp)

The speaker logos are funny because they're meant to be hung sideways above your super sweet karaoke setup.

The speakers were NOS and the Amp is quite used, but both work really well. The amp also has outs for another speaker set, presumably the ones that are supposed to stand. :ohdear:

Bonus:

I'm so jealous right now because I can't start my quest for this setup until after February. Christmas and winter birthdays.:argh:

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Lepecard posted:

Alright, trying to remember what game this is has been bugging for the last few years!

Ok, I don't remember what system it was on but I have a few faint memories of it such as the setting being very futuristic grim-dark and pretty much everything is dead or technically undead.

It's sorta' a top down perspective shooter.

You have three characters to choose from, one being female the other two male.

The one thing I remember the most is that when you're "killed" you become just a pair of bloody legs that run around for a few seconds....

Does anyone have any idea what this game is or have I gone crazy!?

It was goddamn Skeleton Krew!

I can't believe it took me this long to remember, probably because whenever I saw the name I confused it with Skeleton Warriors...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Holy poo poo, why did no one tell me that the Activision Anthology for the PS2 was this good. I had some older Activision collections and so I didn't bother with it until it was a dollar in the Game Stop sale. I popped it in to play some Pitfall and I found out I could finally earn those patches. Plus the music was a real surprise...

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

What the...did you drill a hole there?

Yep. drilled a hole right under the power slider, and mounted a 5mm flat top led flush with the plastic. It doesn't hinder the function of the power switch at all, and when turned off, it looks completely stock.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's something cool and obscure: Some guy's found enough Konix Multistation (an unreleased British console) stuff that he's been able to start on an emulator for what game code remains! There was more detail on this in a recent Retro Gamer issue, if you're one of the folks here who read that.

Not sure when it'll come out, but Jeff Minter's given his blessing for Attack Of The Mutant Camels '89 (the source code for which was also dredged up) to be released online alongside the emulator, so it'll be nice to check out a piece of alternate history retro gaming.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Minter is such a great guy when it comes to emulation of his stuff, he even said the best way to play Llamatron is on an Atari ST emulator with the CPU cranked up enough.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
I'm not sure if you guys are interested but Amazon is having a sale on megadrive/genesis roms.
http://www.amazon.com/Sega-Genesis-Classic-Game-Download/dp/B00A6CS0OU/
half of :10bux: for SEGA Genesis Classics Series 1-5.
So if you want to own the roms proper don't pass this up.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

I am contemplating selling the disc for a decent value. It seems to go for $50-$120 CAD.

I recently sold all of those NP soundtracks I had for a few hundred, so yeah, you'll get a little bit for it.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Pinguliten posted:

I'm not sure if you guys are interested but Amazon is having a sale on megadrive/genesis roms.

This is worth it for Phantasy Star II-IV and Shining Force I and II.
However, none of the Sonic games are included.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Heads up, i've got a pristine copy of The Misadventures of Tron Bonne available in SA Mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518074

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I've been too busy trying to get halfway decent at Asuka 120% Burning Fest and Touki Denshou to get on with my life as I should.

But in the meantime, if anyone has any extra PS2 memory cards lying around they wouldn't mind parting with, send me a PM!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Anyone want to trade a working PS2 controller for one of my Genesis 6 buttons?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pinguliten posted:

Fly with me posted:

This is worth it for Phantasy Star II-IV and Shining Force I and II.
However, none of the Sonic games are included.

If you have a PS3 or 360, you're better off getting the Genesis/MegaDrive Collection. It has all four Phantasy Star's, both Shining Force's as well as Shining in the Darkness, and all four Sonic games (though 3 and Knuckles don't interlock like the Wii VC ones do, sadly.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ACID POLICE posted:

I've been too busy trying to get halfway decent at Asuka 120% Burning Fest and Touki Denshou to get on with my life as I should.

But in the meantime, if anyone has any extra PS2 memory cards lying around they wouldn't mind parting with, send me a PM!

I just ordered a pair of 64 MB memory cards last night because I was so fed up with running out of space on my 8MB ones. They cost me around $5 each so you might as well just buy them.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you have a PS3 or 360, you're better off getting the Genesis/MegaDrive Collection. It has all four Phantasy Star's, both Shining Force's as well as Shining in the Darkness, and all four Sonic games (though 3 and Knuckles don't interlock like the Wii VC ones do, sadly.)

That one lacks a lot of things in the Amazon collections like the Wonder Boy games and Landstalker.

Personally I say get both.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 19, 2012

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
My Dreamcast stopped working a few years ago and I hid it away. Today, I pulled it out and it has turned SNES Yellow! I didn't know Dreamcasts do that!

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

i am a man that makes purchasing decisions, sometimes

:smuggo:

That was in my bedroom 7 years ago, when it was new and getting rare. I drove all around the state looking for them and ended up with a metric shitload to sell. Also I threw out that Family Guy poster because gently caress family guy

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ohnoitschris posted:

:smuggo:

That was in my bedroom 7 years ago, when it was new and getting rare. I drove all around the state looking for them and ended up with a metric shitload to sell. Also I threw out that Family Guy poster because gently caress family guy

If you scroll fast, Mario thrusts his crotch at you... it's hypnotic.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

Anyone want to trade a working PS2 controller for one of my Genesis 6 buttons?

I do!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

PM Incoming

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
So today was my lucky day. I got from my parents' place:
- Black-coloured Play-It-Loud series Game Boy
- Super Mario Land for Game Boy
- NES Power Pad

I'll have to see if the Power Pad is still working as it has been folded up for years (probably a decade at least). :(

Risky
May 18, 2003

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Space-Fanta...=item484bb739b4

I'm seriously considering purchasing this because I'm a huge Fantasy Zone fan. I always thought Space Fantasy Zone came out in Japan but after reading through some PC-Engine forums I come to find out it's unreleased. The guy selling the one on ebay says it's a small run of an official release which sounds kind of fishy. Anyone have any info on this?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Risky posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Space-Fanta...=item484bb739b4

I'm seriously considering purchasing this because I'm a huge Fantasy Zone fan. I always thought Space Fantasy Zone came out in Japan but after reading through some PC-Engine forums I come to find out it's unreleased. The guy selling the one on ebay says it's a small run of an official release which sounds kind of fishy. Anyone have any info on this?

General consensus I've seen is that it's entirely unofficial but can still fetch money. However, that image appears to be straight up stolen, so. Unless that's the same seller but I don't have the energy to figure it out. Could be though.

http://www.videogameimports.com/get_game.php?product=8395&new=4&side=1

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Ah yeah out of all the people I sent free stuff to you were the only one I wasn't able to, only because I can't find the drat gamebit that opens the carts. I have the one that opens the Nintendo consoles and Genesis games, but I can't find the one that opens the Nintendo games. I know it's in my home somewhere; as soon as I find it I will mail it out to you. Hopefully you are not waiting on them for a project :ohdear:

I am actually waiting for it to clean my cartridges but I'm not fuzzed, gift horse and all!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Okay I'm reading up on SNES and Genesis video mods but I'm just stupid with this stuff and it's breaking my brain. I've never done anything like this and drat if I can understand much of it. I'd like to get component video out of both my SNES (the model number starts with UN1 so it's not 1CHIP) and my "High Definition Graphics" model 1 Genesis, is this at all easy to do? I'm comfortable with a soldering iron and could do some easy mods, but I'm also broke as hell so no VGA for me. Thoughts?

I'm trying to get all my consoles to component eventually since it's the best video quality my TV can do aside from HDMI (no s-video support on it unfortunately), plus it makes it easier on me in terms of switches and such, which I really need to start looking into, behind my TV is turning into a tangled mess of spaghetti and dangling unused cords.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Katana Gomai posted:

I am actually waiting for it to clean my cartridges but I'm not fuzzed, gift horse and all!

Oh okay, but you shouldn't really need to open the carts to clean them FYI. Changing the batteries, yes, but cleaning them you definitely do not need a gamebit.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Okay I'm reading up on SNES and Genesis video mods but I'm just stupid with this stuff and it's breaking my brain. I've never done anything like this and drat if I can understand much of it. I'd like to get component video out of both my SNES (the model number starts with UN1 so it's not 1CHIP) and my "High Definition Graphics" model 1 Genesis, is this at all easy to do? I'm comfortable with a soldering iron and could do some easy mods, but I'm also broke as hell so no VGA for me. Thoughts?

I'm trying to get all my consoles to component eventually since it's the best video quality my TV can do aside from HDMI (no s-video support on it unfortunately), plus it makes it easier on me in terms of switches and such, which I really need to start looking into, behind my TV is turning into a tangled mess of spaghetti and dangling unused cords.

You really can't get component from those systems; you can get RGB (I know that gets confusing but they're a bit different, technically). You're going to have to go scart -> component. There's several ways to do this. The expensive route is the XRGB Mini. The cheap route (which didn't work for me, but your miles may vary) was the SCART RGB to component transcoder I linked in the OP. Neither the SNES1 or Genesis require modding/soldering to do this.

Unrelated, I am going to be busy as hell this week so if anyone PMs me or wonders why I am not replying to this thread, I'll barely have time to go the internet, so do not think I've abandoned the thread/OP. :tipshat:

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
Getting Component output essentially means getting RGB out and running that through an RGB->Component transcoder, such as the one linked in the OP, a pricey device, but nowhere near that of an HDMI scaler like the XRGB.

The non-1CHIP SNES and any Genesis support RGB natively, so you do not need to do any modding and can simply get the correct cables from retro_console_accessories, a known and trusted seller.

(Do 1CHIP Model 1 SNES' still have RGB wired, or was it cut like in the Model 2?)

There's also a few hangups to be aware of:

First; The transcoder outputs YUV, which is not as widely supported as YPbPr and not all TVs can handle 240p over Component, so check your TV before starting any of this.

Second; the transcoder doesn't normally do audio, however the mod to correct this is not terribly difficult: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/adding-audio-to-the-cvs287-scart-to-component-converter.157395/

Third; SCART switches are very much a you-get-what-you-pay-for affair, some of them do not have RGB wired at all and you simply get Composite signal. Other folks will need to post their recommendations, as I unfortunately do not have one.

---

Transcoder in the OP: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SCART-RGB-YUV-Component-Video-Converter-Scaler-/220698772855

Genesis Model 1 Cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesis-1-Megadrive-1-stereo-RGB-SCART-TV-lead-/200778593915

Non-1CHIP SNES Cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Nintendo-stereo-RGB-SCART-lead-FULLY-SHIELDED-GROUNDED-cable-cord-US-SNES-/160916513885

---

E: Heh Hamblurglar snuck in with a simpler answer while I was writing this up.

Asbrandt fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 19, 2012

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Along the lines of RGB to YPbPr transcoders, I've been thinking of buying another one of the Jrok boards I used in my consolized MVS and building a mini transcoding box for genesis/snes. Just a matter of getting some cash and parts together.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Well drat, even that's out of my league then. Thanks though. I could do the cables in a few weeks but not another $50 for the transcoder, and really for almost $100 for the two consoles it's not really worth it to me at that point, I was hoping there was some way I could mod them for like $20 in parts. I suppose I could get an s-video cable for the SNES and get a converter of some kind, but the Genesis seems to require a mod that looks way beyond me.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Oh okay, but you shouldn't really need to open the carts to clean them FYI. Changing the batteries, yes, but cleaning them you definitely do not need a gamebit.

You don't have to have a gamebit to clean them, but in my opinion it makes it way easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

cosmicjim posted:

You don't have to have a gamebit to clean them, but in my opinion it makes it way easier.

Agreed. I can't open my Tengen games, and it feels like they are way dirtier than my gamebit games because I can't clean them like I want to.

• Locked thread