Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

pokeyman posted:

Yup, bringing it back via an option, as you were certainly not the only one.

Awesome, thanks. I also just found out you can swipe right on a thread to get the sidebar to come up. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Odds on being able to copy image URLs without having to quote? I like sharing pictures from the meme thread in PYF with others.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Loading overlay when changing pages and stuff seems to be gone, so it's hard to tell anything is happening when you change pages.
Page buttons are kinda small too, some sort of pull or swipe to change pages would be awesome.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

AWWNAW posted:

Loading overlay when changing pages and stuff seems to be gone, so it's hard to tell anything is happening when you change pages.
Page buttons are kinda small too, some sort of pull or swipe to change pages would be awesome.

Well if the app is loading data the loading symbol will be up in the status bar.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

AWWNAW posted:

I also find myself pushing the pages remaining multiple times because I can't really tell if it worked or not. The data loading in the status bar does show that it's working but it would be nice if there was some "give" to the button or something.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I've noticed a few cosmetic things with the new update. Some of these are more nitpicky than others, but I figure attention to detail is appreciated when dealing with software running on an Apple platform. I'm sure this all takes a back seat to other reported problems like the title not displaying, broken quotes and character encoding issues:

1) Video embeds (at least in this case) seem to be causing a bit of horizontal scrolling and have zero padding on their right side. The same embed will actually overflow the right edge if somebody quotes it (seen here). I'm guessing their size is still fixed to the old edge-to-edge layout?

2) On the navigation back/forward buttons, the active button appears to be 1px taller than the inactive (greyed out) button. It's a bit difficult to see in this 320x480 screenshot, but it's more obvious at full resolution.

3) In the same navigation area, there is 8px of padding underneath the buttons, but only 4px above it (not counting the top border/bevel), so things looks a bit off-center. Again, hard to see here, but it sticks out like a sore thumb to me on Retina.

4) When you extend a child menu whose parent node is the last top level menu item in a group (e.g. FYAD), you get some ugliness during the animation.

5) This is totally subjective, but I'm not really a fan of the white-on-medium-gray text used on forum category titles. Either the background needs to be darker, it needs a texture, and/or the text needs an emboss shadow like lots of Apple UI text elements have in this situation.

6) The "Favorites" screen still uses the old color scheme. Will this be changing to be made consistent with the others? Along the same lines, will there be any future changes to the Bookmarks view to match all the other recent layout changes? It looks a bit out of place now since it's the only thing left without rounded corners.

7) The "Dark Mode" theme uses the same medium gray background as the light theme. It seems like 100% black would look better.

8) This seemed a bit artifact-y to me. There are raised contour lines along the corners, but nowhere else.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 17, 2012

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

All valid points, I think one or two of those are addressed in 1.9. Basically UI polish hasn't gotten there yet because of so many things happening at once. Personally my goal is to try and make 2.0 really polished, which is a little bit down the road.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
There's some thread tags missing for TRP. I did suggest I might make some earlier in the thread, but i'm a lazy fucker and haven't got round to it.

Some mention was made recently of an easier way of adding new tags that doesn't require an app update - is that still going to happen?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

That is in fact happening already. I got a potions tag in my app magically. I think it's in the next version to hit the app store, not the one currently up there.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah there's a 1.8.3 that has all the tags and allows them to be side loaded too.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is this side loading something that users of the app will do, or the creator of it? I mean, will the tags be hosted somewhere and the app uses them as they change and update rather than having them as part of the app that is installed?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They'll still be included in the app, but it checks the github repository for new ones and downloads them.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Boxman posted:

Awesome, thanks. I also just found out you can swipe right on a thread to get the sidebar to come up. :swoon:

I keep triggering it by accident, which is extra annoying because it seems to break and show up as just a tabbar and a shadow (no view in the rest of it)... and also come over halfway across the screen (landscape iPad 1). First time it happened changing tabs made the content show up, but that stopped working and I had to restart the app.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Browsing on the iPad with avatars turned off looks kind of strange.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

pokeyman posted:

Sorry about that. As a workaround, you can tap the "page x of y" button then hit "jump to page" immediately.
I didn't even think of that. That should work fine, and sort of gets rid of the issue.

Anyway, I also just wanted to say thanks to everyone putting in time on this! The current UI looks great and the app as a whole has just been getting better and better recently. :)

Edit: Another idea: some kind of viewer for the smilies list? I keep forgetting codes for everything and use Safari to check. I don't know how feasible this is though, and it not really a huge usability issue.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

Odds on being able to copy image URLs without having to quote? I like sharing pictures from the meme thread in PYF with others.

Just testing out the quote reply thing.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

tuyop posted:

Just testing out the quote reply thing.

It's seems to be working fine for me on 1.8. Has the blank quote reply still a problem with this version?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chuck Bartowski posted:

It's seems to be working fine for me on 1.8. Has the blank quote reply still a problem with this version?

I was having a problem with a crash and hanging in the last version. This one is perfect, and I love the UI.

Just don't like the bookmarks showing the OP rather than last poster.

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Jigsaw posted:

Edit: Another idea: some kind of viewer for the smilies list? I keep forgetting codes for everything and use Safari to check. I don't know how feasible this is though, and it not really a huge usability issue.
Seconding this. Love to app but would love it more with a smileys solution

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
The update looks great. I miss the in-app web browser, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also, is one of the new updates putting the thread title back in the top bar when you're browsing a thread? That's a weird omission.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

Atarian posted:

The update looks great. I miss the in-app web browser, though.

Agreed.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

tuyop posted:

Also, is one of the new updates putting the thread title back in the top bar when you're browsing a thread? That's a weird omission.

It's not a weird omission, it's a bug.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I think someone may have pointed this out, but Awful crashes every time I try the image uploader.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

The Dave posted:

Yeah there's a 1.8.3 that has all the tags and allows them to be side loaded too.

Really? I didn't tag a 1.8.3. I'll go back and check.

Might just be 1.9 and I haven't bumped the version yet.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Gio posted:

I think someone may have pointed this out, but Awful crashes every time I try the image uploader.

Where does it crash? What's the last thing you see?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Really? I didn't tag a 1.8.3. I'll go back and check.

Might just be 1.9 and I haven't bumped the version yet.

Well test flight called it 1.8 (#3) and it just think 1.8.3 is easier to type.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

pokeyman posted:

Where does it crash? What's the last thing you see?
I mentioned this last time. It crashes when I hit reply on the "confirm you want to really really post" screen.

Other than that, this update has been great! Only bug I've seen is minor, this sometimes happens:

Fake edit: ironically, I just found that the img and other quick paste shortcuts from the menu don't seem to work at all!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

Well test flight called it 1.8 (#3) and it just think 1.8.3 is easier to type.

Oh right. That's just 1.8, uploaded for the third time. That version should be the one in the App Store right now.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Another vote to bring back the Refresh button, please!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

I mentioned this last time. It crashes when I hit reply on the "confirm you want to really really post" screen.

I figured it was the same issue, but since it was a different person I thought I'd check. Still can't replicate it, so any hints help.

quote:

Other than that, this update has been great! Only bug I've seen is minor, this sometimes happens:

This is fixed, thanks. It only happens when the thread's name is shorter than the "x pages" text.

quote:

Fake edit: ironically, I just found that the img and other quick paste shortcuts from the menu don't seem to work at all!

That menu is a complete pain to work with in code, so while I haven't yet replicated the bugs you and others have seen, I have no trouble believing that they happen. Does it happen consistently? Or does it seem random? Does it go away if you close the reply screen then bring it back up?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Aatrek posted:

Another vote to bring back the Refresh button, please!

For the last page in a thread or because of image display fuckups?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Last page, mostly. It's tricky to keep up with fast-moving live threads without it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Oh right. That's just 1.8, uploaded for the third time. That version should be the one in the App Store right now.

I'm pretty sure the one in the AppStore now is the 2nd 1.8.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

Aatrek posted:

Last page, mostly. It's tricky to keep up with fast-moving live threads without it.

If pull to refresh/next page ever becomes a reality I feel like it would remove the need for the actual button.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

pokeyman posted:

I figured it was the same issue, but since it was a different person I thought I'd check. Still can't replicate it, so any hints help.
Lets try it now then:

pokeyman posted:

This is fixed, thanks. It only happens when the thread's name is shorter than the "x pages" text.

It wasn't a big deal in the first place, but good to know, thanks. Actually, I liked it in a "MAXIMUM REAL ESTATE" way. :v:

pokeyman posted:

That menu is a complete pain to work with in code, so while I haven't yet replicated the bugs you and others have seen, I have no trouble believing that they happen. Does it happen consistently? Or does it seem random? Does it go away if you close the reply screen then bring it back up?
That reply was the first time it failed for me, and it's back to normal whilst creating this post. Ill let you know.

I'm going to copy this whole post, in anticipation of it crashing and loding it all cause I tried to upload an image. Fingers crossed!

Edit: all worked! If you don't mind a possible double post, I'm going to try uploading two images, as that's what crashed it last time it failed.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

I'm pretty sure the one in the AppStore now is the 2nd 1.8.

I'ma smack myself if I did that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

Edit: all worked! If you don't mind a possible double post, I'm going to try uploading two images, as that's what crashed it last time it failed.

Go nuts, that's half the reason this thread exists.

Incidentally, half the reason you can't post new threads from the app is because I didn't want to spam some poor forum while testing that feature.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

supersteve posted:

If pull to refresh/next page ever becomes a reality I feel like it would remove the need for the actual button.

That would be cool, just a flick-up-to-refresh action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Aatrek posted:

That would be cool, just a flick-up-to-refresh action.

It's in development, I still don't have it nailed down just yet. But when it works it works quite well.

• Locked thread