Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Also, recommend creating a separate ID thread with the OP keeping track of them. Is there a limit to how many IDs you can have in your system this time around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egoslicer
Jun 13, 2007
They sold to us at 1115 at WalMart . Guy said since they are selling on east coast it was cool

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Ok, here are the options for this. Waffleopolis said he was going to collect IDs through a bot on an irc channel, but he doesn't have PMs so Waffleopolis if you are out there how is that coming along?

We could also have a thread just for this purpose. I've asked Louisgod about this.

Third we could post them in this thread using the :siren: smiley so they stand out and can be put in the OP. This isn't the most ideal way though.

OR, or, I just though of this, we could simply ask people to put their IDs in their SA profiles, along with what games they're playing.

What do you guys think?

Yeah still looking. I need to remember how to do an IRC script, but it shouldn't be difficult at all.

Also yeah make a thread for goon WiiU names too. Both options at once would be easier.

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 18, 2012

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

egoslicer posted:

They sold to us at 1115 at WalMart . Guy said since they are selling on east coast it was cool

I wonder what's up with my Walmart that's making them wait to sell them until tomorrow morning. I work there, so I know we got the shipment in already, and I can't think of any other reason why they would delay them like that.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
OK, ID thread is up. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517962. The link will be in the OP of this thread.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Also, recommend creating a separate ID thread with the OP keeping track of them. Is there a limit to how many IDs you can have in your system this time around?

You can have 100.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Speaking of WiiU threads, did we ever decide what the WiiU thread would be? Anybody want to PM it to me?

Skeezy posted:

You can have 100.

God dammit Nintendo what the hell is wrong with you

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Also, when are we getting a WiiU thread icon? :(

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Louisgod posted:

Okay, maybe I am misunderstanding something, or my sarcasm detector is broke, but isn't this plenty, unless you were living in a dormroom or something?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

egoslicer posted:

What time did you get there? I was going to show up at 11.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Polygon just posted their review of the system.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/18/3660470/wii-u-review

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Picking this thing up tomorrow morning. I can't wait. Hope the day one update is short and sweet and not this horrible mess that takes hours.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Skeezy posted:

You can have 100.

You can also "follow" up to 1000 people on Miiverse, but I don't think that gives you any sort of actual gameplay connection.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Unlucky7 posted:

Okay, maybe I am misunderstanding something, or my sarcasm detector is broke, but isn't this plenty, unless you were living in a dormroom or something?

I have 90 3DS friends.

80 of them are from the Swapnote thread here, though.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I have 90 3DS friends.

80 of them are from the Swapnote thread here, though.

I thought we were talking about number of IDs on a single system, not limits on friend lists.

EDIT: If we are talking about friend lists, then yes, that is bullshit.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 18, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I can't imagine anyone going over 100 friends unless they're just rabidly adding everyone on forums and such. But what's the fun in that?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought we were talking about number of IDs on a single system, not limits on friend lists.

Now that you mention it, that could be what the original question was about, but 100 is such a common number for a friend list limit that I just assumed that's what we were talking about.

Yeah, 100 is way IDs than you would ever need, if that's what this is about.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Hopefully, Nintendo smartens up and wil ladd groups that people can join.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Waffleopolis posted:

Hopefully, Nintendo smartens up and wil ladd groups that people can join.

Didn't they do something like this for Mario Kart 7? I'd imagine a feature like that would be coming soon.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Polygon doesn't have an official review up yet of ZombiU, but hidden in their Wii U review is that they liked it:

"At launch, two Wii U games serve as excellent examples of Wii U’s unique potential: Nintendo Land and ZombiU."

"ZombiU shows the kind of interesting, intense game that third parties can do with the hardware, when properly motivated. ZombiU is excellently designed around the GamePad’s capabilities as a second screen. But it’s also designed around the controller’s unique layout, making it one of the more comfortable to play titles on the system."

This could just be preview talk though. Maybe they're saying that it shows off the gamepad, but maybe it's awful everywhere else?

Edit: Or maybe they just think it's good? Found this further down "While Ubisoft has a great game for the Wii U’s launch in ZombiU...(Rest of paragraph about third party support)"

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Polygon doesn't have an official review up yet of ZombiU, but hidden in their Wii U review is that they liked it:

"At launch, two Wii U games serve as excellent examples of Wii U’s unique potential: Nintendo Land and ZombiU."

"ZombiU shows the kind of interesting, intense game that third parties can do with the hardware, when properly motivated. ZombiU is excellently designed around the GamePad’s capabilities as a second screen. But it’s also designed around the controller’s unique layout, making it one of the more comfortable to play titles on the system."

This could just be preview talk though. Maybe they're saying that it shows off the gamepad, but maybe it's awful everywhere else?

Their score will probably end up depending on who they pick to review it. A few industry people I follow on twitter have said that they expect the game to be divisive.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Crowbear posted:

The review is harsh but fair, but I'm a little confused by what they mean near the end when they say the 3DS' third party footprint is dwindling significantly. That isn't the impression I have. It seems to be pacing similarly to the original DS in releases. Like a train slowly leaving the station. More games now than a year ago, but not speeding along. But not DWINDLING.

I wonder how they'll handle a sliding review, if they'll constantly be adjusting their score over the next couple of days or what.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Crowbear posted:

Their score will probably end up depending on who they pick to review it. A few industry people I follow on twitter have said that they expect the game to be divisive.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm expecting at this point. But just kind of putting it out there to say it isn't a cut and dry this game blows kind of thing.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doesn't Gamespot routinely poo poo on Nintendo?

I mean I wasn't expecting ZombiU to be the second coming of christ or anything, but a score below 5 is typically something you give to a game that's completely hosed, like you can't possibly imagine anyone enjoying the game.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I mean I wasn't expecting ZombiU to be the second coming of christ or anything, but a score below 5 is typically something you give to a game that's completely hosed, like you can't possibly imagine anyone enjoying the game.

Not really. A lot of Nintendo fans think they poo poo on Nintendo because they gave Twilight Princess an 8.8, but Gamespot's reviews have gotten better since Gerstmann-gate and John Davidson taking over.

I mean they're still not great but they're not IGN bad or anything.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm stuck on "downloading data for update". Been at 0% for 10 minutes now. :ohdear:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well maybe the game is hosed but it's totally possible the dude is just an idiot who doesn't "get it". No way to know until there's more reviews and user impressions out there, just one dude saying some stuff means gently caress all.

That said even when I get my Wii U I'm not getting the game because zombies.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
God I forgot how obnoxious gamers are being in line waiting for this. Here's hoping I get one but outlook is grim.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Louisgod posted:

That poo poo is gonna be full the instant MonHun hits stateside. :(

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Would it be a terrible idea to buy a 3DS (The 3DS Xl looks like a beast!) alongside the WiiU? Are they going to be aggressively interchangeable?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Waffleopolis posted:

Also, when are we getting a WiiU thread icon? :(

Here's my one everyone seemed to like a few weeks ago.

bluegoon posted:

Would it be a terrible idea to buy a 3DS (The 3DS Xl looks like a beast!) alongside the WiiU? Are they going to be aggressively interchangeable?

I think we've only heard of the next SSB working across somehow, and yes get a 3DS. The install base is fine now, so I imagine it'll be well supported till the next thing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 18, 2012

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

bluegoon posted:

Not a terrible idea, no. They mostly have totally different libraries and serve different needs, outside of Monster Hunter and Scribblenauts and maybe a couple of others.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

The review is harsh but fair, but I'm a little confused by what they mean near the end when they say the 3DS' third party footprint is dwindling significantly. That isn't the impression I have. It seems to be pacing similarly to the original DS in releases. Like a train slowly leaving the station. More games now than a year ago, but not speeding along. But not DWINDLING.

I wonder how they'll handle a sliding review, if they'll constantly be adjusting their score over the next couple of days or what.

Yeah that doesn't make any sense. They are selling a trillion 3DS and there will eventually be a trillion games for it.

I can't believe you can play console games on the tablet itself. I have undiagnosed OCD and I prefer gaming on a handheld while I have a football game or something going on in the background. This is a killer feature for me.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Yay I'm getting one!

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

flyboi posted:

God I forgot how obnoxious gamers are being in line waiting for this. Here's hoping I get one but outlook is grim.

Where are you? How many people ahead of you? When did you get there?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Bobnumerotres posted:

I can't imagine anyone going over 100 friends unless they're just rabidly adding everyone on forums and such. But what's the fun in that?

It's fun when you know a group of people who just play a certain game. My steam list filled up fast when I tried adding groups of goons who play certain games. There isn't any reason to limit them like that, it's annoying if you play a lot of games with a lot of people.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's my one everyone seemed to like a few weeks ago.

Can you PM that to Louisgod? I think it's his thing to set it up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

beergod posted:

I can't believe you can play console games on the tablet itself. I have undiagnosed OCD and I prefer gaming on a handheld while I have a football game or something going on in the background. This is a killer feature for me.
Oh yes, this will be me too, especially since the Eagles have made actually watching the football somewhat irrelevant.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Crowbear posted:

It seems weird to review a system when half the features were only added a few hours ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

bluegoon posted:

Their libraries are different enough. And while you can't use the 3DS as a controller or anything like that yet, Monster Hunter will let you transfer save data between the two systems and do cross-platform online multiplayer.

• Locked thread