Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

pokeyman posted:

Go nuts, that's half the reason this thread exists.
Tried twice, no luck. Just crashes to desktop home screen.

Also, don't know if this is the way it should be, but the first image gets img tags and the second gets timg?

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Just testing.

What is with that thing where we have to crop pictures to a square before posting? I swear that wasn't there when I first tested it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pokeyman posted:

I'ma smack myself if I did that.

Well the AppStore version has the older, less contrast colors in the forums tab and isn't sideloading thread tags from git, so wouldn't that be #2 ?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Diabolik900 posted:

Just testing.

What is with that thing where we have to crop pictures to a square before posting? I swear that wasn't there when I first tested it.

Awfulgram. :haw:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

jojoinnit posted:

Tried twice, no luck. Just crashes to desktop home screen.

So works with one, not with two? Thanks for the testing.

quote:

Also, don't know if this is the way it should be, but the first image gets img tags and the second gets timg?

timg is the default for images bigger than 800x600. I'm not sure that's the best way to handle table-breaking images but it's a start.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

Just testing.

Yeah that's new to me too, and yet there it is plain as day in the documentation.

Time to find or make a custom image cropping and scaling view that doesn't force squares...

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

pokeyman posted:

So works with one, not with two? Thanks for the testing.
I'd assume that'd be imgur freaking out at the sudden load request, so it may be out of your hands, but if you see this, that's a solid yes:

pokeyman posted:

timg is the default for images bigger than 800x600. I'm not sure that's the best way to handle table-breaking images but it's a start.
Both were larger than that though. I tested uploading two pics I'd taken from my old 4.

Scratch that. I can't say with any certainty what size they actually are and everything I just tested follows what you said as far as I can tell.

Btw the quick insert format bar is failing again as of this edit! To answer your question from earlier, cancelling and trying the edit again doesn't fix that. Only trying fresh with a new post seems to.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 18, 2012

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

I'd assume that'd be imgur freaking out at the sudden load request, so it may be out of your hands, but if you see this, that's a solid yes:

Even if imgur doesn't want the images, crashing isn't a remotely appropriate response.

Who wants to bet that I've already fixed that bug in what I was supposed to release as 1.8...

You may be seeing 1.8.1 rather soon. I'll figure it out later.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
What's with the ugly grey background used everywhere, now? It's baffling that there's this new background padding when the edge-to-edge content on Awful.app was one of the best elements of its design. Now there's random rounded corners and grey text on grey background and ugh :smith:

Glad the old app still works, at least, between this and the lack of a full screen view. I want to like the new app, but I've yet to see any real tangible improvements.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Even if imgur doesn't want the images, crashing isn't a remotely appropriate response.

Oh sure, I just meant you may have to restrict the app to one image upload per post from within Awful, and just have people go over to Picup or whatever and insert anything manually above that. Thanks for all your work so far. Really, anything like this is just minor quibbles. Awful is fantastic for the vast majority of its everyday use and it's a testament to your work that we're down to talking about UI uniformity and occasional glitches on bonus features that we never even had prior to your tenure such as in-app uploading and the quick insert menu.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Am I missing a reload/refresh feature while in the threads or is there no longer one?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Mahoning posted:

Am I missing a reload/refresh feature while in the threads or is there no longer one?
You're not, it's coming back, everything's fine!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

abraham linksys posted:

What's with the ugly grey background used everywhere, now? It's baffling that there's this new background padding when the edge-to-edge content on Awful.app was one of the best elements of its design. Now there's random rounded corners and grey text on grey background and ugh :smith:

This. It's just weird to read now.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
The new visual style in 1.8 isn't really doing it for me. The rounded corner "conversation bubbles over battleship grey" just doesn't seem to look right and there's almost no visual distinction between the "end of thread"/"X Pages Left" button area and the background. On the iPhone, it's less obvious since the ads go from edge-to-edge but on the iPad there's a lot of empty grey space around the ad and the next page area just blends in. It's also kinda odd that the bookmarks and favorites lists are still in the old all-white style while the forums list and the actual thread content is rounded boxes. I'd suggest a theme toggle, perhaps. Either all-white edge-to-edge or rounded boxes and have all the menus, etc. be thematically consistent.

And just so this isn't one massive post about here's what I found wrong in your free app this time, thank you and all of the contributors who have put so much effort into this app. It really makes forums browsing on either my iPad or my iPhone possible without making me want to tear out my hair using safari.

(p.s. Add me to the "incoming forums superstar" should be replaced by a simple "Reply? Y/N" camp)

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
One thing I don't like on the iPad is how the text flows around the user info box. It can work in posts with a lot of paragraph-length text, but there are a lot of times when replies are just a few individual sentences long, or there are images, or lists, etc. where it just looks kind of weird and sloppy.

I'm not sure what the solution would be. It certainly doesn't make sense to emulate the forums native style and have the poster's information box continue all the way down the length of their post, since that would be a lot of wasted space. But I think any significant departure from the way the forums display text (that is, with it all justified on one side and not wrapping around a box) is kind of a bad idea. I guess maybe that's why having the user's info stripped out and put in the area above the post with the older UI was better--that way the post itself can take up the entire width of the screen.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
To counter some of the negativity towards the new design, I'd like to say that I really like the new look.

I guess you can't please everybody.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....
I'm really missing the "load xx posts above" thingy! :(

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Fallom posted:

Browsing on the iPad with avatars turned off looks kind of strange.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

One thing I don't like on the iPad is how the text flows around the user info box.

Same here - sometimes there is just a single word left floating at the bottom left. Looks strange. And when there are several short paras, it looks like the indentation is quoting a previous post.

I think many layout issues can be 'fixed' by making the userstyles accessible. I'm sure there are HTML/CSS wizards who can come up with all kinds of designs to suit all.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Apology time.

As The Dave pointed out, I submitted the wrong code for version 1.8. I'm sorry.

1.8.1 is on its way. It's what 1.8 should have been.

Thanks for being awesome.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
One more mistake like this and you are fired pal.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

withak posted:

Bahaha.

On the plus side, Awful let me quote! :holy:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

withak posted:

Or a serious pay reduction :argh:

pseudonordic posted:

Bahaha.

On the plus side, Awful let me quote! :holy:

I'm quoting and editing. Beat that!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Just noticed I also seem to have access to TCC:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

jojoinnit posted:

Just noticed I also seem to have access to TCC

Same here, probably due to the fact he submitted an old version. You got TCC in at least :P

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

Just noticed I also seem to have access to TCC:

If you're logged in, and afaik you have to be with Awful, then why wouldn't you ?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Can we get a share panel for images and links?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

SybilVimes posted:

If you're logged in, and afaik you have to be with Awful, then why wouldn't you ?

Because Apple rejected the app because of TCC, so it was ostensibly removed from Awful (for now)

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007

SybilVimes posted:

Because Pokeyman specifically removed it from the app to get through approval. Well at least he thought he had! :p

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

SybilVimes posted:

Because Apple rejected Awful until access to it was removed from the app.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Can't you access a bookmarked thread in TCC and go up to it from there? I'd think this would work even if it's hidden from the forum list.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Javid posted:

Can't you access a bookmarked thread in TCC and go up to it from there? I'd think this would work even if it's hidden from the forum list.

Yeah, but you're not supposed to be able to just browse the forum from the list. I don't have any TCC threads bookmarked.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007

Javid posted:

Doesn't seem much point since it seems to have slipped in accidentally anyway.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Same here, probably due to the fact he submitted an old version. You got TCC in at least :P

I may have "forgotten" to block TCC on the other branches of the code.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Can you make dark mode function throughout everything and not just thread views? Opening the app without a thread showing still produces a bright white screen which is disorienting on the iPad at night.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I still can't reply on either app now with the latest version. It's kind of strange.

The reply button "pushes" but then the app fails to respond. No confirmation dialogue appears or anything. It just sits at the text entry box failing to respond.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Magnus Praeda posted:

The new visual style in 1.8 isn't really doing it for me. The rounded corner "conversation bubbles over battleship grey" just doesn't seem to look right and there's almost no visual distinction between the "end of thread"/"X Pages Left" button area and the background. ... I'd suggest a theme toggle, perhaps. Either all-white edge-to-edge or rounded boxes and have all the menus, etc. be thematically consistent.

This ^

quote:

And just so this isn't one massive post about here's what I found wrong in your free app this time, thank you and all of the contributors who have put so much effort into this app. It really makes forums browsing on either my iPad or my iPhone possible without making me want to tear out my hair using safari.

And this too. ^

Also missing the bbcode shortcuts.

Thanks for the app though!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

pokeyman posted:

Where does it crash? What's the last thing you see?
test

e: guess it works now but i was having a bitch of a time the other day. last thing i saw was "uploading images". likely a problem on my end, or because I tried two at the same time.

e2: yup when i try to edit this post with another image it wont let me

Gio fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 19, 2012

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Re the new posts layout:

It just occurred to me that you could put everyone's avatar on the right instead of the left. This way, text could still flow around it but you wouldn't have disjointed left-align issues that affect readability of longer posts. I think this would be worth mocking up to see of it works.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I know this has been brought up before and may be nothing to do with the app, but in the new version are there any logfiles or anything that could maybe help diagnose why I can never use it on 3G?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

TACD posted:

I know this has been brought up before and may be nothing to do with the app, but in the new version are there any logfiles or anything that could maybe help diagnose why I can never use it on 3G?

Don't know the answer to your question, but can you access the forums in Safari? I've heard other people say before that the forums were blocked by their carriers by default.

• Locked thread