Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Thievery posted:

I couldn't get a summon so I just said gently caress it and beat O+S using some clever strategy and tactics. They were similar to the ones I use in this informative, ten second long video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=661ppXIyKUI

For some reason this video makes me very happy.

NeurosisHead posted:

I made it through Sen's Fortress. I made it through Anor Londo, and was ready to fight O&S. Couldn't beat them. When I unhallow to summon people I can't get a single summon to connect, but I get invaded within 30 seconds and get my poo poo pushed in because I'm terrible at pvp. The game wins again. :saddowns:

Sadly, invading is a lot more certain than hoping someone will summon you. Invasion failed? Guess nobody's around. Not being summoned? Maybe someone will come along in a few minutes? :shobon:

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Steel Armor set is pretty drat good fully upgraded. No stamina regen penalty.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

NeurosisHead posted:

I made it through Sen's Fortress. I made it through Anor Londo, and was ready to fight O&S. Couldn't beat them. When I unhallow to summon people I can't get a single summon to connect, but I get invaded within 30 seconds and get my poo poo pushed in because I'm terrible at pvp. The game wins again. :saddowns:

You can always just kill things and level some. Depends on what level you are already though?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The temptation to dump a quarter million souls into leveling is strong, but I will not be weak, for my pyrohand must burn.

but i need more vit and end and a little more attunement and a tiny bit of str, and only 5 more points to go until i can use sunlight blade nnnggghhh

Valie
Jul 27, 2011

Call Now posted:

I guess, but I'm mostly using it as an auxilliary and it's just pretty useless in the field. Anyway, what are those weird circles? I've seen a bunch of them recently in Darkroot and Painted World.

"Useless" is definitely not the word for pyromancy. The Combustion spells alone make it worth upgrading. My int-heavy character just killed Kalameet in a few shots using Power Within and the magic damage buff items.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Just started playing this on PC, what would be a good sword for a strength character to aim to get after the Drake sword? I would like to stay with a 1handed or 2handed sword if possible, I saw this posted earlier http://darksouls.wikidot.com/man-serpent-greatsword and it seems like it might be a good option.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Just started playing this on PC, what would be a good sword for a strength character to aim to get after the Drake sword? I would like to stay with a 1handed or 2handed sword if possible, I saw this posted earlier http://darksouls.wikidot.com/man-serpent-greatsword and it seems like it might be a good option.

I'm a big fan of the claymore, personally. The slashes can hit enemies even if they're on your side and the thrust has great reach.

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 18, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

That's good, but it doesn't have a poking move. How important is poking to you?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The correct answer to muike's question should be "It isn't, man mode". Go grab yourself an MSGS and stomp everything.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

It's a good sword for a strength build.

E:

This

Shima Honnou posted:

The correct answer to muike's question should be "It isn't, man mode". Go grab yourself an MSGS and stomp everything.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Sometimes I have difficulty attempting to explain the appeal of Dark Souls to other people, because the difficulty is sort of overhyped and really it's the whole package that makes it a great deal of fun--

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The Xanthous set has the distinction of blocking your field of vision and actively making the game harder, which makes it pretty awesome

--but then I start to wonder at what point we go beyond enthusiastic and become darksoulsplayers.txt. :v:

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

That's not a sword, this is a sword. :getin:

(You can get the Zwei very early in the game if you have the gumption to run past a bunch of skeletons in the graveyard)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mazed posted:

Sometimes I have difficulty attempting to explain the appeal of Dark Souls to other people, because the difficulty is sort of overhyped and really it's the whole package that makes it a great deal of fun--

--but then I start to wonder at what point we go beyond enthusiastic and become darksoulsplayers.txt. :v:

Don't worry I would like it less if it were just a black censor bar or something and not... whatever the gently caress it is.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Put the Maiden Set on all your characters, no matter how fat, male, ugly and bald they may be.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Finally finished Anor Londo, placed the lord vessel, warped around and made a lightning claymore. Now to finish upgrading my pyro hand and do the catacombs and join the darkmoon blades and and and and

e:and invade that rear end in a top hat Lautrec and beat him to death. Some shockingly nice dickwraith summoned me into Dark Anor Londo and I helped him beat up some darkmoon blades and then he gave me 55 solid humanity so I have something to heal myself with!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

(You can get the Zwei very early in the game if you have the gumption to run past a bunch of skeletons in the graveyard)
I'm only on my first run through the game, and I got this and a bunch of other stuff from the graveyard quite easily. I didn't even die doing it. Just run to the glowies and don't stop for any longer than needed to grab them.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Shima Honnou posted:

True facts, I'm building up to use a MSGS just because it's what mab used until he got the helbread.

So what exactly is the point of Vagrants on the receiving end of them? I just killed my first one the other day and it was a little underwhelming. It was also in the undead parish so maybe it got caused by rear end in a top hat gankers who have full dark set and are using the dragonslayer bow. Buttholes.

muike fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 18, 2012

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I've been going through a new run of pyromancy in off hand, then dex weapons (in my case, a falcion+15) in main hand, and goddamn is it fun. started as a pyro and dumped pretty much all my points into dexterity until it was 40, then put a few into attunement and brought vit up to 15 and end up to 20 - SL 50 now, soloed all the bosses so far, just beat Beavis and Butthead. The dex helps with the long cast time on pyromancy, and it gives some ranged options for enemies that are particularly difficult to melee without a shield. It's super fun, and provides a decent challenge - I'm pretty drat squishy, can only withstand a few hits so dodging is really important - I hit hard enough to make up for it though. I highly recommend it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Shima Honnou posted:

Just got my MSGS today! I left the catacombs after hitting a bit of a brick wall in the Tomb of the Giants, and I went over to Sen's fortress (it feel much easier, the enemies are much closer to my level). Man mode with a MSGS +10 feels so right. I don't even care if I sometimes need an estus flask after 2 enemies, gently caress it, I have 15 Estus Flasks +3, plus 5 heal spells, I'm good!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Thanks for the tips on vendors, people. Interesting stuff.

Noob Update pt4 : I made it to the bottom of blight town! I got to dress up like a ninja and roll around in poison water. I fought giant mosquitos & a chunky lady with a club. I then promptly took the wrong path, went into the Great Hollow and was then, as I am wont to do, immediately got cursed again.

This fuckin' game.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

That's not a sword, this is a sword. :getin:

Fun fact: at 40 strength, you do ~539 AR with a Zwolehander +15, and ~521 AR with a Man Mode Great Sword +15.

The MSGS swings faster.

Basically, it's a better weapon.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 18, 2012

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Shima Honnou posted:

Fun fact: at 40 strength, you do ~539 AR with a Zwolehander +15, and ~521 AR with a Man Mode Great Sword +15.

The MSGS swings faster.

Basically, it's a better weapon.

The move set for the MSGS feels better too.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Zweihander does more poise damage so theres that.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Goon fight club is fun, more people should join it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

tractor fanatic posted:

Put the Maiden Set on all your characters, no matter how fat, male, ugly and bald they may be.

It's like beauty and the beast only belle is an albino man and the beast got stabbed in the rear end till he died.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Iretep posted:

Zweihander does more poise damage so theres that.

I'm probably an idiot overlooking an obvious stat, but where do you see how much poise damage it does?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Lovable Luciferian posted:

I'm probably an idiot overlooking an obvious stat, but where do you see how much poise damage it does?

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Poise It's a hidden stat and isn't exact because some weapons will do more or less poise damage, but here's the general rules.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Thank you kindly. :tipshat:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Colapops posted:

I've had the ring on the whole time. :(

This post is pages back now, but the ring does nothing if you use the blue eye stone. It's on hold while you're intentionally looking for an invasion.

Don't worry, I always did the same thing. :smith:

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I started a sorcery run. I don't know if it's because this is my third character and I've gotten really good or the sorcerer class is just overpowered, but the game so far has been a breeze. I'm stunlocking enemies with a dagger. I didn't know that's a thing I could do.

Lazy Programming posted:

Goon fight club is fun, more people should join it.

When do these fight clubs usually happen? I would need a char around SL100, right? Is a 120-ish ok?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Dragonwagon posted:

I started a sorcery run. I don't know if it's because this is my third character and I've gotten really good or the sorcerer class is just overpowered, but the game so far has been a breeze. I'm stunlocking enemies with a dagger. I didn't know that's a thing I could do.

When do these fight clubs usually happen? I would need a char around SL100, right? Is a 120-ish ok?

120-ish is a little high, as for when, we usually just start them on a whim so need to join the steam chat.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
That's too bad. My other guys are around SL30.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This is my first run through the game using sorcery and I just impressed myself. Every other time through the game I've made a mad dash at the two dragon bow knights in Anor Londo and hoped something good came of it. This time I did that three times and then remembered my hidden body spell. I decided it was worth a shot, and after killing the two gargoyles at the base of the ramp up to the bow knights I went invisible. I strolled right to within lock-on distance and soul speared both of them into oblivion, without either of them ever knowing I was there. Holy poo poo this spell, I'm in love!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I have a level 75 or so PVP character sitting on over a million souls so I guess I'll take the plunge and level up to 100 if I catch one of these fight club nights.

What kind of builds usually show up? I don't really enjoy fighting the same dark sorcery characters all the time.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Evil Eagle posted:

I have a level 75 or so PVP character sitting on over a million souls so I guess I'll take the plunge and level up to 100 if I catch one of these fight club nights.

What kind of builds usually show up? I don't really enjoy fighting the same dark sorcery characters all the time.

It depends on who shows up, but I would say dark sorcery makes up a small minority of the fights at best, with at least half the fights being stupid gimmicks instead. We have regulars who know how to handle dark sorcery so even if you get killed by one, odds are in favor of it being someone different by your next round.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Is there a bonfire in Sen's Fortress? Or is it right before the boss or something?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Cross-posting from the Steam thread just in case anyone in here doesn't own Dark Souls (:confused:):

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If you're in the UK, zavvi has Dark Souls for £10: http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition/10605069.html

It's Steamworks, so registers on Steam.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

Office Thug posted:

Is there a bonfire in Sen's Fortress? Or is it right before the boss or something?

When you get to the part where guys are throwing bombs at you, you need to drop down where you see the wall has crumbled.

It's pretty close to the boss.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Which is better for my sorcerer assuming crap physical stats and good int, magic +10 or enchanted +5?

Also, can you fight paladin leroy and get his loot prior to placing the lordvessel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Which is better for my sorcerer assuming crap physical stats and good int, magic +10 or enchanted +5?

Also, can you fight paladin leroy and get his loot prior to placing the lordvessel?

Don't take this as 100%, but I think he's past the golden barrier.

• Locked thread