Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
iTunes Match worked flawlessly for me when it first came out. Now, however, when I replaced all my 256k versions of my songs with lossless it gets hung up in either step two or three of the process, then starts over. In the past two days it ran over and over again, sending somewhere in the neighborhood of like 25 gigs without ever finishing.

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Tenterhooks posted:

Nope, never (my wife very rarely uses her account). I just add our music to my iTunes and she'll occasionally sign in to add some new songs to her phone.

Just noticed today that the metadata wont update for her either - if I add a date to a previously dateless song, sign out then sign in as her, the date change wont have carried over. It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice if things just stayed the same (or at least were easy to update) since we're accessing the same files.

And both accounts are accessing the same library (not just the same music files, but the same iTunes folder containing the iTunes Library file)? If so, you shouldn't be having the problems you're describing. Perhaps it is a permissions issue - any time I use the Shared folder I end up with terrible permissions problems, so I never do it. Check the permissions on the iTunes Library file; as a wild guess, maybe one of your two accounts can read but can't write to the file, or there was an issue reading it at all and each account is accessing a different file altogether.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
Re: iTunes in Mac vs. Windows:

I'm speaking out of my rear end here, but my programmer friend said that when Apple ported iTunes, they ported the whole program, including more Apple related components, as opposed to creating a Windows version from scratch.

How I understand this, is that Apple took the entire program from the Mac, and basically used a Windows shell to make it work. That is why it is so sluggish in Windows.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cerv posted:

Cool. I must try that at some point.
Is there any way to have ITUNESADVISORY default to 1 when you rip a new CD to the library? Or will we all be stuck doing this forever.

God knows. All they really have to do is just provide a "force upload" option and that entire issue is side-stepped, along with vastly improving the service since it could make available all of those odd upgrades/remasters/vinyl-rips that right now result in Matching to iTunes Store versions.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm a big dumb iTunes dummy. I've been "using" it for a few years now, mostly just to manage music on an iPod and later general iPhone management. However, now I'm trying to do something with it.

There are some podcasts I started listening to and they only have the last 20 or so episodes on iTunes. I wanted to start from the beginning, so I went to the podcast's website and manually downloaded the MP3s. They import into iTunes as music, so I figured out how to change the media type to podcast. Then they vanished. Turns out you have to have an album name for them to show up in podcasts, so I did that. Now I have the older episodes in my podcasts alongside the current ones. However, they're listed as separate podcasts. Is there any way for me to get the older, manually downloaded mp3 files to go into the podcast proper?

I feel like I'm doing something wrong that will be painfully obvious when someone points it out. So, uh, make me feel dumb please. :)

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Is anybody else having problems with iTunes Match / Downloading songs / Streaming music right now?

EDIT: nvm, must have been a microcut or something.

Billa fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 15, 2012

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Aranan posted:

I'm a big dumb iTunes dummy. I've been "using" it for a few years now, mostly just to manage music on an iPod and later general iPhone management. However, now I'm trying to do something with it.

There are some podcasts I started listening to and they only have the last 20 or so episodes on iTunes. I wanted to start from the beginning, so I went to the podcast's website and manually downloaded the MP3s. They import into iTunes as music, so I figured out how to change the media type to podcast. Then they vanished. Turns out you have to have an album name for them to show up in podcasts, so I did that. Now I have the older episodes in my podcasts alongside the current ones. However, they're listed as separate podcasts. Is there any way for me to get the older, manually downloaded mp3 files to go into the podcast proper?

I feel like I'm doing something wrong that will be painfully obvious when someone points it out. So, uh, make me feel dumb please. :)

You have to make the album name match before you set them as podcasts. Change them to something else, then back to podcasts. That should work.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

This is it but for some reason, no matter what my settings are, I cannot show Ping in the sidebar. I think I have somehow disabled Ping completely and it won't let me have these arrows.

Anyone know how I could have disabled Ping like that?

-edit-

Fixed it... I had disabled Ping through OnyX.

chomper fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 16, 2012

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Silver95280 posted:

You have to make the album name match before you set them as podcasts. Change them to something else, then back to podcasts. That should work.

Unfortunately, it did not. I have the identically named podcast group and mp3-to-podcast groups sitting side by side now.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

So this is fun. I had an iTunes Match subscription that I allowed to expire, but I can still use it (on my Mac and on my phone) as if I had renewed it. Anybody else experiencing this useful bug?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Are you sure you weren't billed for it? I know Microsoft does this for Xbox Live. And Apple surely has your credit card info. I think it ties into your iTunes account for downloading applications, and you probably used it for your first year of Match (or however long the subscriptions are).

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
I wasn't entirely sure where to pose this but I felt like this thread fits it the best since many of you guys would probably be using and airport express.

So I recently got an Airport Express A1084 from craigslist and managed to get everything connected and working. The issue I am having is that the volume output going into the speakers is like 40% lower than if I were to plug in an iPod to those speakers. I tested it with the same songs and the volume has enough of a difference that I cannot get these songs to play "loud". I checked all volume controls and moved them to maximum; main volume and bose speakers volume on itunes and on the physical bose volume control. It sounds too weak. I've factory reseted the airport express at least three times.

Has anyone experienced this or have any solutions to my problem?

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
I did call appple to see what they could do, the guy said that the airport express "doesn't have the same power as an ipod or iphone so that's why the volume is low" I don't know poo poo bout anything but if that's the case then goddamn, I think he might be full of poo poo though.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

The Airport Express has a line level audio output. I.E. it's not amplified. Whereas your iPod/iPhone/iPad audio output features a small internal amp to drive the headphones.

You'll need to connect some active (powered) speakers, or if you already have passive (unpowered) speakers, you can get an amplifier for them. You need an amplifier in between your airport express and the speakers to actually give you any sound. The Apple guy wasn't really bullshitting, but I probably wouldn't have worded it that way.

Edit: I re-read your post and see you have some Bose powered speakers. Maybe check you are plugging the Airport into a line level input on the Bose system rather than an MP3 player input (if it has one) as the impedance may not be matched (IIRC, may be wrong on that terminology)

Granite Octopus fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 18, 2012

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

IUG posted:

Are you sure you weren't billed for it? I know Microsoft does this for Xbox Live. And Apple surely has your credit card info. I think it ties into your iTunes account for downloading applications, and you probably used it for your first year of Match (or however long the subscriptions are).
I admit I haven't checked my actual bank statement yet, but I'd be very surprised if I was since 1) I got the "your subscription has expired" email, and 2) I am now able to switch between the US and UK stores again which was a large part of why I didn't renew my subscription right now. If I can use iTunes Match and retain the ability to swap store regions when I need to, that would just be splendid.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Smart Playlist question:

I have one playlist that has all songs I've listened to over X number of times. I want create a new smart playlist that contains the full albums of any songs that exist in first playlist. Is there any way to do this?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

TACD posted:

So this is fun. I had an iTunes Match subscription that I allowed to expire, but I can still use it (on my Mac and on my phone) as if I had renewed it. Anybody else experiencing this useful bug?
Maybe access works on a monthly basis?

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Is anybody else having problems with the iTunes store and downloading albums?

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Billa posted:

Is anybody else having problems with the iTunes store and downloading albums?

Match hasn't worked for me (and a quick survey of people on IRC suggested most of them too) all morning.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

JamesOff posted:

Match hasn't worked for me (and a quick survey of people on IRC suggested most of them too) all morning.

Ah, thanks, must be that then on why I can't download new stuff and poo poo having Match.

By the way, whats the IRC info?

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Billa posted:

Ah, thanks, must be that then on why I can't download new stuff and poo poo having Match.

By the way, whats the IRC info?

It's started working again for me in the last 15 mins or so.

(IRC channel in question is unrelated to SA :) )

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka

Granite Octopus posted:

The Airport Express has a line level audio output. I.E. it's not amplified. Whereas your iPod/iPhone/iPad audio output features a small internal amp to drive the headphones.

You'll need to connect some active (powered) speakers, or if you already have passive (unpowered) speakers, you can get an amplifier for them. You need an amplifier in between your airport express and the speakers to actually give you any sound. The Apple guy wasn't really bullshitting, but I probably wouldn't have worded it that way.

Edit: I re-read your post and see you have some Bose powered speakers. Maybe check you are plugging the Airport into a line level input on the Bose system rather than an MP3 player input (if it has one) as the impedance may not be matched (IIRC, may be wrong on that terminology)

Thank you, I'll look into getting an amp. How you explained it makes sense.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's the 20th and still no update!

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
I'm entirely expecting it to quietly get bumped back to 2013 at this point.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

dexter6 posted:

Smart Playlist question:

I have one playlist that has all songs I've listened to over X number of times. I want create a new smart playlist that contains the full albums of any songs that exist in first playlist. Is there any way to do this?

I don't -think- so.

I don't have iTunes on this computer, but when I get home I'll look and see if there's a way to do it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I have a UK account, I want to gift an app to someone with an Australian account.
Don't have an Aus address & credit card to set up my own account in their store.
Am I missing something or is there no way to do this?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Cerv posted:

I have a UK account, I want to gift an app to someone with an Australian account.
Don't have an Aus address & credit card to set up my own account in their store.
Am I missing something or is there no way to do this?
Not really. Your best method is probably a PayPal transfer with a link to the App.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
What the hell: I've just bought 2 albums and I've got iTunes Match. I can see them on iTunes of my other computer, on both iDevices and in this computer I see them as a list on the left bar (inside 'purchased' playlist) but if I go to the 'Music' library they aren't showing there. Not even for downloading with iTunes match. Anybody has a clue on why is this?

EDIT: Bough another album and it fixed everything. Ignore me!

Billa fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 21, 2012

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

Not really. Your best method is probably a PayPal transfer with a link to the App.
that's actually quite pathetic. apple, i'm disappointed.

probably just go on amazon.au instead and find something else for xmas.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
To the best of my knowledge, no store selling mobile apps does gifting to another country. Currency conversions, lack of internationalization on the App's part, import/export regulations are the top reasons that come to mind.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

To the best of my knowledge, no store selling mobile apps does gifting to another country. Currency conversions, lack of internationalization on the App's part, import/export regulations are the top reasons that come to mind.
in a sane world none of those would matter. they'd let you buy the gift from the foreign store.
no currency conversion for the store (your credit card company take care of that)
internationalisation not an issue since it just wouldn't be in the foreign store if not translated.
export regs not an issue, it's going from the store in one country to a recipient in the same. just like if you'd ordered flowers and put their shipping address in.

i'm going to write an angry email to tim cook about this.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/11/21/itunes-11-imminent-according-to-german-music-distributor/

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
I have another question regarding iTunes library and Airport express. I apologize if this is confusing I'll try to word it as best as I can.

I live with two other people. I'm the only one who really has a music collection but everyone else has iPhones and Ipads and I set up their remote apps to my iTunes library. My library's source is in the Time Capsule in the living room. My Airport Express is also set in the living room where the speakers are while my iMac is in my room.

The problem I am foreseeing is while I am in my room sleeping or wanting to listen to iTunes one of them might take control of iTunes and the speakers in my room.

Is there a way for them to be able to use my library without affecting the iTunes in my room? Like setting up a clone library that automatically updates with the music I download for them to use? I can kind of see the solution but I can't connect the dots. For example having the Time Capsule back up all my music and they access the music through that but they'll need the iTunes client?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Cerv posted:

in a sane world none of those would matter. they'd let you buy the gift from the foreign store.
no currency conversion for the store (your credit card company take care of that)
internationalisation not an issue since it just wouldn't be in the foreign store if not translated.
export regs not an issue, it's going from the store in one country to a recipient in the same. just like if you'd ordered flowers and put their shipping address in.

i'm going to write an angry email to tim cook about this.
Definitely tell a major international company how easy it is to do their business, and let us know how quickly you school them on the topic.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Spectral Debt posted:

i don't wanna have rear end in a top hat roommates
The most obvious answer is mute your iMac before you go to bed. Remote only adjusts the volume bar in iTunes.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is there some trick or chain of events I should follow to get wifi syncing to consistently work with iTunes/iPhone 5/Windows? I'm getting about 10% success rate for the phone to even show up in iTunes. When it does, its about 50/50 so far that it'll successfully complete a sync.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

sirbeefalot posted:

Is there some trick or chain of events I should follow to get wifi syncing to consistently work with iTunes/iPhone 5/Windows? I'm getting about 10% success rate for the phone to even show up in iTunes. When it does, its about 50/50 so far that it'll successfully complete a sync.

My friend is having the same problem with iTunes for Windows and an iPhone 4. I've got my iPhone 5 set up to automatically sync with my Mac over Wi-Fi every morning at 8 a.m. and I've noticed about a 50% success rate. My guess is that Wi-Fi sync is still buggy.

Kabz
Jul 29, 2004

iTunes is deleting all my podcasts after I download them.

Whenever I sync my phone (5.1.1) all the podcasts I just downloaded get deleted.
They get stored on my machine and then I have to go back into iTunes and click for it to be put back on my phone.

This started happening all of a sudden a few months ago, not sure if it was a software update, or what.
But how can I just have my podcasts stay on my phone and not even have it backup on my computer?
If I uncheck syncing podcast in iTunes, it says it will delete all my existing podcasts.

Also all my podcasts that I deleted in the past still show up, and old podcasts I don't even listen to still have their category show up empty in iTunes -- how can I get rid of this too?

Thanks for listening to my two-part question- I hope someone can relate to these frustrations.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Okay I posted this in the Windows thread and didn't get an answer so I'll ask here:

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I'm having a problem with iTunes on Windows 7 x64. I set up another account for my girlfriend to use on my computer but iTunes spans both accounts and so if her library is opened in her account it'll open in my account and vice-versa. It also will refuse to open in one account if the other is already open. Is it possible to have separate iTunes installations on one computer or stopping iTunes from being so... aware of itself?

TL;DR: I have to music libraries that I don't want to merge and I want one to load on my GF's account and My iTunes library to load on my account but iTunes hates me. What can I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't quite understand your situation, but I think if you hold Alt while loading the program it asks you which library file to load. But yeah, if one instance of iTunes was running with a library file, I can see why another copy of it wouldn't want to run as well. Two programs editing the one library file would just cause chaos I'm sure.