Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
The multiplayer of ZombiU looks interesting and is the only part of the game that seems remotely fun to me.

But welp it's local only so gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
posting from my wii u :smug:

This post took too long to type

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I was worried that the Mario Bros quick look was going to be single player focused for a while, I'm glad they got together and showed off some real gameplay after all.

Hilariously chaotic.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I'd like to know what the e-manuals for games are like this time, like if they have all the artwork and stuff.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
3 of my roommates and myself all picked our deluxe consoles tonight from Walmart without pre-orders so that was pretty nice. After we bought our consoles the guy behind us in line bought the remaining 4 basic consoles. As someone who bought this thing on a complete impulse buy I have to say I'm in love. The tablet controller feels great in the hands and really adds an interesting element into the multiplayer games in Nintendo Land.

Walmart however had no copies of the new Mario game so that was a bummer but I'll just head to Gamestop tomorrow and pick it up.

entropy
Jul 19, 2003

I'm afraid I just blue and gold myself.
Played some Nintendoland. Some of the games required Wii Motion plus so beware if you don't have four of them. The catch Mario game was ok but most games were about on par with an above-average Mario Party game, and the Luigi, Mario, and Animal crossing games were all pretty similar. Plus the instructor never shuts up and you can't skip most of what she says.
Since I was in a group we only tried one single player mini game: the octopus dance one. It was hilarious but unintentionally. It's very easy to make it look like your mii is masturbating the whole time.
I doubt anyone had great expectations for this game but definitely underwhelming so far.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Why do you need more than one username?

I got in on this Nintendo ID thing so early that I was able to get my first name as my Nintendo ID (let's just say if my first name were "James" I literally have the Nintendo ID "James") but I'd rather use Hamburglar for SA/internet friends use.

Edit: just noticed there's an LED that will stay on if you have a disc in the drive. This light will be on even if the system is off. That's pretty cool and I've never seen that before. Probably for all the people who sent their old Wii in for a repair and forgot they had a game in it.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 18, 2012

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
Wait, can you play games from a hard drive? Or is it for storage only? The Verge seems to think it's the latter.

quote:

Plus, games can’t be run from an external drive, so again — the Deluxe Edition is the way to go.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
So what are my best options for tomorrow? Target?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Wait, can you play games from a hard drive? Or is it for storage only? The Verge seems to think it's the latter.

What would the point of the hard drive be if you couldn't play games from it?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

beergod posted:

Honest opinion I'd say costco or sam's club.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

What would the point of the hard drive be if you couldn't play games from it?

It's Nintendo... they don't have the best track record for this kind of thing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Crowbear posted:

The multiplayer of ZombiU looks interesting and is the only part of the game that seems remotely fun to me.

But welp it's local only so gently caress that.

Wait what really? Its local only goddamn I thought it was online. Maaaaaaaaaaaan

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Haruharuharuko posted:

Honest opinion I'd say costco or sam's club.

Is Costco getting them confirmed? I heard they might not be. They recently stopped carrying video games.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

beergod posted:

Target and Walmart would be the biggies, but if you have a Sears or K Mart try them, too. Or any other regional department store that sells games but doesn't have a huge section for them.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

Policenaut posted:

Just asked earlier up the page a bit, but you can order it directly from Nintendo here. I've tried looking in stores but I can never find it, so I'm just gonna order it direct.

Speaking of which, Wii U accessories are up on ShopNintendo, including extra gamepad ac adaptor for $19 and pro controllers. No gamepad battery replacements yet, oddly.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
There is Sears, but their weekly ad says they're only going to sell the WiiU systems to their reward card members. The card is free to join and has no fees, but it's still odd that they'd restrict it like that.

The guys on the stream put the WiiU back together and had 8 leftover screws. :v: Let's see if it works now. edit: Surprise! It doesn't work! And now they have to take it apart again.
Ribbon cable for optical drive was put in wrong, now it works.

Also from the stream:
The console throws an error an external USB drive is pulled out while the system is on, and asks to be turned off.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 18, 2012

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

beergod posted:

Is Costco getting them confirmed? I heard they might not be. They recently stopped carrying video games.

Did a quick search they don't have them in inventory on their website but they did have an ad for them so YMMV.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Are we talking about installing disc games or wiiware/VC stuff?

It seems like a step backwards if you couldn't play wiiware stuff on one.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

They're saying you can't install games from the disc onto your hard drive, not that games won't run if they're on the drive.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

When I bought NSMBWU the default download spot was the USB HDD I hooked up. I can't imagine it won't let me play it from there. I don't think you can install retail discs, though.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Haruharuharuko posted:

The warnings on the actual eShop say that if you have the Basic, you'll need external storage for games above a certain size, NOT that it will be impossible to download and play those games on the Basic. Which it would be if you couldn't load from an external drive.

Let's not turn "Nintendo has an iffy track record" into "believe things that make literally no sense and run counter to their announcements".

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

The warnings on the actual eShop say that if you have the Basic, you'll need external storage for games above a certain size, NOT that it will be impossible to download and play those games on the Basic. Which it would be if you couldn't load from an external drive.

Let's not turn "Nintendo has an iffy track record" into "believe things that make literally no sense and run counter to their announcements".

Only reason I stated that was that Verge post I knew you could download games but whatever. I still pumped as hell.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Still no luck connecting to any of our wifi's. I am reading on other forums that other people are having this issue as well. I think i'm going to take it back in the morning.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They're saying you can't install games from the disc onto your hard drive, not that games won't run if they're on the drive.

quote:

the actual available storage in the Basic Edition is less than 4GB, plus Nintendo Land is a fun game you’ll probably want to own. If you do get the cheaper model, you can plug an external hard drive into a USB port and get up to 2TB more storage if you need it, but the drive will be specifically formatted for the Wii U and won’t work anywhere else. Plus, games can’t be run from an external drive, so again — the Deluxe Edition is the way to go.

No, they're saying you can't run them from the drive, which is sloppy of them.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe how loud/good the audio is coming from the remote. I leave it blasting even while my surround sound is on :allears:

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

AngryCaterpillar posted:

No, they're saying you can't run them from the drive, which is sloppy of them.

Wait so what in the gently caress in the point then?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Haruharuharuko posted:

Sloppy of the people reporting.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

spaceship posted:

Still no luck connecting to any of our wifi's. I am reading on other forums that other people are having this issue as well. I think i'm going to take it back in the morning.

Call Nintendo support tomorrow morning? I don't know what anyone here can do to help you troubleshoot your router with a new console.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Haruharuharuko posted:

Nintendo has been saying for well over a year that the Wii U will be able to use virtually any USB hard drive and play downloaded games off of it, but people still report otherwise because pageviews/controversy/ignorance. The point is to get attention.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I don't plan on getting a Wii U in the near future (unless I get one for Christmas, which would be nice even though my family is planning on cutting back this year) due to financial poo poo, but that looks great even though the video compressed quite a bit. I'm on the Balloon Fight part of the video, but I can't wait to see what else there is and I hope that the rest of Nintendo Land is just as good if not better. Also, the Zelda minigame looks like it would be amazing with five people in the later parts where they say it gets more intense. :)

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Wait, if you want to play 4 player NSMBU you have to have 4 Wii remotes?

Why can't you use the gamepad? Why doesn't it support pro controllers? What is going on? :saddowns:

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Crowbear posted:

Why can't you use the gamepad? Why doesn't it support pro controllers? What is going on? :saddowns:

Are you kidding? Luckily I still have a couple wii remotes but that's really stupid

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Crowbear posted:

You can use the gamepad to play single-player, but in multiplayer it only does Boost Mode. And the game apparently just straight up doesn't support pro controllers at all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Obeast posted:

I don't plan on getting a Wii U in the near future (unless I get one for Christmas, which would be nice even though my family is planning on cutting back this year) due to financial poo poo, but that looks great even though the video compressed quite a bit. I'm on the Balloon Fight part of the video, but I can't wait to see what else there is and I hope that the rest of Nintendo Land is just as good if not better. Also, the Zelda minigame looks like it would be amazing with five people in the later parts where they say it gets more intense. :)

They have a stream 8 hours where they'll be showing off every attraction (plus every other launch game for hours and hours.)

e: Playing VC Mario with a Classic Controller, I really like doing the sideways controller a lot more. For some reason I've preferred the Wiimote's dpad over anything from the classic controllers to any of the DS pads.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 18, 2012

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

thefncrow posted:

You can use the gamepad to play single-player, but in multiplayer it only does Boost Mode. And the game apparently just straight up doesn't support pro controllers at all.

This doesn't sound right at all. Are you sure about this? You can't use the gamepad in multiplayer in the same way you would use it in singleplayer?

Not being able to use Pro controllers makes a bit more sense since they lack built-in speakers that notify you of events specific to your character.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

This doesn't sound right at all. Are you sure about this? You can't use the gamepad in multiplayer in the same way you would use it in singleplayer?

Not being able to use Pro controllers makes a bit more sense since they lack built-in speakers that notify you of events specific to your character.

The Giant Bomb guys were very specific about that in the quick look. They could only use the gamepad for the block placing mode, but regular 4-player specifically asked for 4 Wii remotes.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Crowbear posted:

The Giant Bomb guys were very specific about that in the quick look. They could only use the gamepad for the block placing mode, but regular 4-player specifically asked for 4 Wii remotes.

Well, that's weird. I can't think of a coherent rationale behind that.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Randomly got up at 4am so I decided to go see if Walmart had any in stock. There's two Walmarts in town, the one I went to first had no signs of the consoles and the people I asked that worked there said they didn't get any in, so I assume they allocated their whole stock to preorders. They also didn't have NSMBU in stock. The second one I went to had 3 basics left and Mario in stock. They said they only had 8 people come in at midnight.

Dress Code Force
Nov 2, 2010

Not being able to use the GamePad in multiplayer is actually kind of a load off my shoulders. Since NSMBU will boot and play even without a TV attached to the system (according to Joystiq's hands-on a week back), I actually had the idea of taking the thing to my college back lounge to have four of us crowded around a six inch screen.

We don't have a TV back there so this is actually dumb enough to work. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Crowbear posted:

That... what the hell. So what about the people buying this who don't have a Wii? Time to buy new remotes too?

• Locked thread