Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
For those wondering about Motion Plus requirements, LOOK AT THE BACK OF YOUR loving GAME

They're very specific as to what they supprt.
NSMBU: Wiimote (any kind) + Game pad
NintendoLand: Wiimote OR Wii Motion Plus + Game Pad + Nunchuck
Scribblenauts Unlimited: Game pad + Wiimote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

My gamestop is closed today. God drat it. Gotta wait until tomorrow and then I have work.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

CubsWoo posted:

Yes, as long as they're Wii U retail discs.

Small miracles and all that. :v: Now just need to wait for EB to open in an hour and a half.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
Waiting until 11a.m. for best buy to open so that i can get my wii u i pre-ordered. I'm at a Wal-Mart and out of curiosity I asked if they had it in stock. The cashier told me that I just missed it. Which I believed him when I saw the other person with one in her cart just casually. Man where I live the wii u isn't hitting the same excitement as previous consoles did before.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

Anybody know if the Wii LAN adapters work on the WiiU as well? I have a 3rd party adapter I have for the Wii that works fine.

Yes, it should work fine.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

My gamestop is closed today. God drat it. Gotta wait until tomorrow and then I have work.

No loving way. Sorry to read that, I thought pretty much everything was open on Sunday, at least noon to five at a bare minimum.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

flyboi posted:

For those wondering about Motion Plus requirements, LOOK AT THE BACK OF YOUR loving GAME

They're very specific as to what they supprt.
NSMBU: Wiimote (any kind) + Game pad
NintendoLand: Wiimote OR Wii Motion Plus + Game Pad + Nunchuck
Scribblenauts Unlimited: Game pad + Wiimote

Hmm, kind of strange that NintendoLand, their system's "tech demo" if you will, doesn't require a plus. Guess they want the largest audience.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Anyone able to add friends on Miiverse? Everything I try gives me "Please perform the initial setup for your friend list." yet cannot find this initial setup option anywhere.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

al-azad posted:

Hmm, kind of strange that NintendoLand, their system's "tech demo" if you will, doesn't require a plus. Guess they want the largest audience.

I think certain NintendoLand mini games DO require the plus. I.e. you need it for the zelda sword battle game, but not Mii chase.

The OR wording on the back of the box is a bit confusing, but a Nintendo spokesperson recently confirmed you need it for some games.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Got mine this morning from target without a reservation. The one I went to is in a mall and it looked like they had a number of systems left. Just finished the update after an hour or so.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Friend of mine is picking mine up and then I'll actually play it tonight.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

When the hell are ZombieU reviews going to hit? I want more input on it before I decide.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
"You cannot register this received Mii as a user Mii because it is set to not allow copying."

What.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

flyboi posted:

Anyone able to add friends on Miiverse? Everything I try gives me "Please perform the initial setup for your friend list." yet cannot find this initial setup option anywhere.

Friends list is on the home menu, took me forever to figure it out too.

SyRauk posted:

"You cannot register this received Mii as a user Mii because it is set to not allow copying."

What.

Go to where you edit your Mii's appearance, the setting is on the next page/tab.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Thanks!

edit: Did anyone else's update fail?

edit 2: Oh thank god, it saved the update progress.

SyRauk fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 18, 2012

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Patrick from Giantbomb tweeted that he's even more enthusiastic about Zombie U than he was during the quick look.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

You guys with your shiny new WiiU's. I dont get it for 3 hours :sigh: I thought I'd get up and read some reviews, but there dont seem to be any up for ZombieU yet.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"
Those of your picking up systems today, please report back on account creation for the Nintendo ID stuff. I'm sitting on the fence until I know for sure I can use a US account on a non-US system and get by.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Got mine! It's set up, just waiting for the update to go through. Good excuse to get some breakfast and charge the Gamepad at least.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
What color does the light change to on the Gamepad when it is fully charged?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Craigslist is getting flooded with people listing 8GB systems for $700.

I can't help but text them with: "Would you trade the Wii U for a giant black dildo? I'm sure you'd find it handy to use on the buyers you're trying to gently caress."

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

SyRauk posted:

What color does the light change to on the Gamepad when it is fully charged?

Off

IVofSURGE
Nov 9, 2004

Dracon Wolf posted:

I just checked walmart.com for inventory and it looks like a Walmart about 30 minutes away from here has them in stock. I just ordered one for pick up in store. Let's hope that works and I get a message soon saying "your order is ready"!

I just did the same thing. I'm skeptical but hopeful. It said they'll send a text within 4 hours when it's ready for pickup. It's worth a shot if anyone else wants to try. I'll let y'all know if it works.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

skywalker6705 posted:

Those of your picking up systems today, please report back on account creation for the Nintendo ID stuff. I'm sitting on the fence until I know for sure I can use a US account on a non-US system and get by.

You need a NA system to access the NA eShop, it's a region locked console.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

ChocNitty posted:

Craigslist is getting flooded with people listing 8GB systems for $700.

I can't help but text them with: "Would you trade the Wii U for a giant black dildo? I'm sure you'd find it handy to use on the buyers you're trying to gently caress."

If I could get that much easily I'd so do it.

Right now I'm waiting for the system update which taking FOREVER.

What's. people's guesses on homebrew? I'll keep my wii around for the homebrew on it until the WiiU can be hacked. I'm hoping since a hard drive can be connected that it won't take too long to discover an exploit.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 18, 2012

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
gently caress this system update. Glad to know it's not just me though!

Edit: It keeps disconnecting, but on the bright side it seems to keep the progress from previous attempts.

Social Dissonance fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 18, 2012

nerox
May 20, 2001

IVofSURGE posted:

I just did the same thing. I'm skeptical but hopeful. It said they'll send a text within 4 hours when it's ready for pickup. It's worth a shot if anyone else wants to try. I'll let y'all know if it works.

You should just drive over there, my wal-mart had like 6 deluxe versions sitting out. Who knows how many non-deluxe.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

nerox posted:

You should just drive over there, my wal-mart had like 6 deluxe versions sitting out. Who knows how many non-deluxe.

It's strange - the Walmart I called yesterday said they only had enough for preorders but listed that they have stock available for in-store pickup.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I showed up at Target around 4:45AM. Someone was already waiting there in their car.
Around 5:30AM someone else showed up and went and stood by the door. I figured I should get out of my car as well.
At around 7:45AM, some Target employee came out to give us tickets. There were 20-30 people in line by that time.
They got 9 black consoles, 1 white. I got my ticket for black. I picked that up, a Pro controller, and the new Mario Twins.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Is anyone else having issues getting their Wii U online in the first place? I've tried connecting it with my regular settings that work with all my other wireless devices (including my 3DS), I've tried disabling MAC filters on my router, I've set my router to publicly broadcast, and none of these will let my Wii U connect (not even recognizing the router, apparently, despite it being in the list of Wi-Fi hotspots around here). Hell, I even plugged in my Wii LAN adapter and that's not working.

Edit: Managed to get it online using a neighbor's unsecured wireless, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the WiiU itself.

Badingading fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 18, 2012

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Literally just walked into Best Buy asked for a premium and walked out a couple minutes later.

orborborb
Jan 20, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

I showed up at Target around 4:45AM. Someone was already waiting there in their car.
Around 5:30AM someone else showed up and went and stood by the door. I figured I should get out of my car as well.
At around 7:45AM, some Target employee came out to give us tickets. There were 20-30 people in line by that time.
They got 9 black consoles, 1 white. I got my ticket for black. I picked that up, a Pro controller, and the new Mario Twins.

my story exactly, except 6:30am and 3 black 1 white

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I feared that would be the case. Unfortunately this is only Nintendo's choice. Both the 360 and PS3 let me buy from wherever I have valid banking and residence, so I was really, REALLY hoping they would've reconsidered and let us do this with the Wii U as well. Massive disappointment here, because I sure as hell am not importing a US system anytime in the near future, or buying one here if I can't play english games on it later. drat.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Netflix app works very well and I love how I can use the Gamepad to change settings on the fly. You can even have the video switch to your Gamepad in case someone else wants to watch something on TV.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Man. Was kind of hoping to be able to snag a non reserved one this morning. Went to the local K Mart(they got none), the local Best Buy(still had 2 basic sets, but I know i"ll be kicking myself in 2 months when the premiums are readily available), 3 Targets and 2 Wal Marts. Target had a giant roll cage with them locked up, but I guess they were reserved/presells. They told me they only had 5 (2 Prem , 3 basic) available for non reserved and they were gone in about 5 minutes.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Literally just walked into Best Buy asked for a premium and walked out a couple minutes later.

Me too. It was far too easy to spend that much money. I got Best Buy to match Toys R Us's deal on buy 1 get 1 40% off. Ended up getting Mario & Scribblenauts (which was on sale for 50). Waiting on reviews for anything else. After staring at the screen for a bit I'm half tempted to get Black Ops 2 or Madden just to play on it.

I still have another black deluxe on reserve at Walmart. I guess I'll hope for scarcity!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Oh my gosh Warriors Orochi 3 allows you to fight an entire army of nothing but Lu Bu? I must pursue Lu Bus.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Which brings up an interesting question: What happens if you try to use a, say, US account with purchases from the US store on a European system?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'm watching http://www.twitch.tv/hecqubus/ play ZombiU and I wish I could fit a WiiU and that into my budget. The entire stream has been full of quality highlights for the past hour(s).

He just got infected for the 14th or 15th time (ie died) and he's still catching his breath from the five minute "oh poo poo oh poo poo oh no" session that led to it. Makes you wonder what that GameSpot reviewer was expecting, or playing like.

(also Eurogoons, I seriously recommend importing US WiiUs. I'm quite sure that we will have to wait extra to get WiiEU releases)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Oh my loving god I'm playing a Super Mario game in HD.

• Locked thread