Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Mons Hubris posted:

Today I got a 16.5 lb vacuum-sealed pork shoulder from Sam's Club for $1.34 because they forgot to put a weight on it and it rang up at the per-pound value. Unfortunately, due to a series of distractions that arose this afternoon, I accidentally left it out on the counter for about 6 hours (still vacuum-sealed). I probably need to throw it out, right? This seems like karmic retribution for gaming the Sam's Club system or something.

Should still be good, just rinse the outside (mighe be starting to get a bit slimey) give it a sniff to make sure it's fine and cook away. I'd make some pulled pork delisciousness and be :smuggo: about my $1.34 worth of awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Does anyone have a good recipe for butternut squash soup? I'm hoping to make some tomorrow, as I got a couple of cheap squashes.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Fraction posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe for butternut squash soup? I'm hoping to make some tomorrow, as I got a couple of cheap squashes.

There's this stew recipe, I made it a while ago and it turned out okay: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Peanut-Butternut_Squash_Stew

It makes a shitload of stew.

I can't find the chickencheese thread, anyone have a direct link?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Does that work without the peanut butter? I hate peanuts :shobon:

Chickencheese.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Solve a stupid argument for me? A friend of mine and I were discussing the different methods of cooking squid, and he told me that squid and calamari are two different animals? I always thought that they were the same thing.

Calamari is made from squid. I'm not sure if it's a specific type of squid (I'd assume generally smaller ones), but they are squid. Wikipedia has some more details. Perhaps your friend was thinking of these guys?

Fraction posted:

Does that work without the peanut butter? I hate peanuts :shobon:

It would work but it wouldn't be as good. Peanut butter really ties flavours like those together and adds a lot to the texture of the soup as well.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I've had battered fried octopus that was labeled as calamari as well, although I don't know if that's technically correct.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Squashy Nipples posted:

Solve a stupid argument for me? A friend of mine and I were discussing the different methods of cooking squid, and he told me that squid and calamari are two different animals? I always thought that they were the same thing.
Your friend is a moron. Calamari is just the Italian plural for squid.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fraction posted:

Roast or microwave (microwaving is super easy) the squash, and blend it with coconut milk, your broth of preference, and some curry spices. Delicious.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Could he be thinking of there being a difference between squids and octopus' (octopi?) ?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

No, but he spent some time in Korea while growing up, so I'm assuming they have a slightly different species there. Either way, he was under the impression that calamari was the Italian version, so I'm guessing he doesn't realize the effect that Italian food had on US cuisine/language.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Happy Hat posted:

Could he be thinking of there being a difference between squids and octopus' (octopi?) ?

I'm not sure why I've known this for so long but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus#Etymology_and_pluralization

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

mediaphage posted:

Roast or microwave (microwaving is super easy) the squash, and blend it with coconut milk, your broth of preference, and some curry spices. Delicious.

You can microwave squash? Is that just like a speedy version of roasting it?

By broth do you mean like those broth packets that are sold, or just veg & liquid?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

There are a dozen bottles of Miller Lite in there.

WOOO Shrimp boil!

WOOO beer bread!

Hooray! Marinade!

Double-hooray boiled brats and beer!

WOOOOO We all gonna get hammered and cook us up some victuals!

(There you go, some ideas on how to use a 12 pack of lame beer)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I'm allergic to shrimp, but a crab boil might happen...

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
It's been a while since I've been in here, so I don't know if there's a cutlery thread, I couldn't find one.

I got a Spiderco sharpening system, and have been really happy with it. Here's the thing - last time I went to the local sharpening shop, they recommended a strop to keep the knives sharp once they had an edge on them. However, stropping seems to have dulled up my knife when I tried it, so I had to resharpen it. Am I doing something wrong?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fraction posted:

You can microwave squash? Is that just like a speedy version of roasting it?

By broth do you mean like those broth packets that are sold, or just veg & liquid?

Yeah, you can, just like almost any vegetable. Just cut it in half, scrape out the schmutz (or wait and do it later, whatever), and put it face down in a pan or something. Cover it with plastic wrap (it's fine in the microwave) and microwave for something like ten minutes or until fork soft. Then you can use it however you want. I use the microwave a lot as a short cut to speed up cooking other veg, too - like for roasted sweet potato, I'll cut things up, microwave them a bit, then toss them in oil and roast. Or when cubing potatoes for skillet breakfast hash, etc.

I used broth and stock interchangeably, which is perhaps a bad idea. I mean whatever stock you want. I would use veggie stock, but I don't eat meat.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Aaronicon posted:

Thanks! I've heard some horror stories from a friend about making ginger beer - either exploding too much or not enough - that I think I'll start with ale. The syrup recipe looks pretty standard no matter where you go. Lots of sugar, though.

That shocked me the first time I made blackberry syrup, I think it was something like 1kg sugar to 2kg berries? Still, when you consider a 330ml can of coke contains ~35g of sugar, I don't think it's that much.

Edit: In case anybody was wondering the results of me trying to make suet, after consulting with my Grandmother I ended up literally pushing half a pound of raw cow fat through a cheese grater. It looked foul, but it seems to have done the job :)

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 18, 2012

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I bought a duck for thanksgiving (the oven is too small for turkey). What sides should I make to go with it?

Also, is it worth it to brine duck? I brine chicken and turkey, but I've never had a problem with duck being dry.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

M42 posted:

I bought a duck for thanksgiving (the oven is too small for turkey). What sides should I make to go with it?

Also, is it worth it to brine duck? I brine chicken and turkey, but I've never had a problem with duck being dry.

Do not brine the duck - slow roast it!

Your sides should be caramelized fingerling potatoes, cream based sauce, pickled red cabbage, baked apples with jelly and rice pudding for dessert..

Edit: Traditional Danish christmas fare!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

He may be confusing calamari for another "c" word: cuttlefish, which to my knowledge is a different species. Not a biologist though.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Yep, although closely related. I've never seen it on a menu, but I believe you can eat them as well.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Skrill.exe posted:

Does anyone have a favorite borscht recipe?

I made the borscht from this thread a few years ago and it was really good. Unfortunately the pictures are gone:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3079824

If you don't have archives:

quote:

So without a lot of hoopla grab:
a bunch of vegetables (beets, carrots, cabbage, onions, potatoes)
some stock (a mixture of chicken and vegetable is what I usually use)
fresh dill
fresh parsley
fresh garlic
sour cream (don't go for low-fat please)

I like to slice everything up kinda roughly rather than grate or julienne like a lot of folks seem to. I like something to chew on. try to get everything of more or less even thickness though.

So you want to get your stock (i started with 2 liters) in the pot, get it at a low boil/simmer and start adding the veggies (except the cabbage unless you want it really soggy) in order of cooking time (i'm cutting as i go.) beets, carrots, potatoes, and onions.

Once all the veggies are in, except for the cabbage, add about half of the dill and parsley and all the garlic (two or three cloves for me.) you can add a little (good) bouillon powder instead of salt if that's cool in your world vision. i also usually put a bit of oil (regular olive oil for me) in there to keep it smooth, as well as some lemon juice to balance out the sweetness of the beets.

When the beets are more or less cooked (maybe 35min or so depending on how they're cut), add the cabbage and the rest of the dill and parsley. If you're not planning on freezing any like i usually do, grind some black pepper in there too. I find that I like a lot of black pepper in borscht but if I freeze it with the pepper in there it becomes overly peppery upon reheating. cook for another 5 or 10 minutes until the cabbage is just nicely cooked but still has some texture other than 'wet greased newsprint'.

Serve with a good dollop of sour cream and a bit of dill if you're so inclined.

Some beef and using beef stock would be good if you want a beef version. If you need some numbers, then here's a recipe to use as a guideline:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/borscht/

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Aaronicon posted:

So I have a fistful of ginger left over from buying a root for gyoza. It's coming into the arse-kicking days of summer here, so why not make ginger ale? I've never made it before and grating up a few slivers of it really made me want more. Does anyone have a nice ginger ale recipe / process? I'd like something that's a good all-rounder that'll last me forever (a syrup base that I can top up with soda water on a per-glass basis?) and doesn't object to me throwing in some lime or whatever when I feel like a bit of variety.

fake edit: ^^man I don't know how your parents aren't dead or something

Ginger beer isn't hard to make at all. Well, okay, so grating the ginger and pressing the pulp to render the juice is a total bitch, but you shouldn't be afraid of the fermentation carbonation. All you do is use re-purposed plastic soda bottles for your fermentation, and throw them in the fridge when they're too firm to squeeze.

Also, an important note about ginger syrup and ginger beer and all that: it won't last forever. It will last for a couple weeks at most. Ginger is a super volatile flavor that goes flat with a quickness. I made up a bunch of ginger beer on Monday, and I could already taste the ginger bite mellowing out last night. Even infusing spirits with ginger will make it last a month or so before the flavor eventually just poops out.

Anyway, good luck gingering!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
There used to be an Italian thread but I don't see it anymore. I'm just looking for a simple recipe for spaghetti sauce (with meat).

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Boris Galerkin posted:

There used to be an Italian thread but I don't see it anymore. I'm just looking for a simple recipe for spaghetti sauce (with meat).

What you want good sir is a Bolognese. Try this on for size:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Bolognese_Meat_Sauce

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

RazorBunny posted:

Yep, although closely related. I've never seen it on a menu, but I believe you can eat them as well.

Yeah, you can. They taste about the same as squid and are definitely eaten in Korea. Italy too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Jmcrofts posted:

What you want good sir is a Bolognese. Try this on for size:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Bolognese_Meat_Sauce

Looks great but,

quote:

Leave for 3 hours, adding a little for water if need be.

Got anything that doesn't take an eternity to cook? At the moment I'm at work 12+ hours a day (yes, including weekends) and don't have time to stand around my kitchen for 3 hours.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
You don't HAVE to cook it that long, it'll just taste a lot better if you do. Give the veggies more time in the pan before you add the other stuff and you can probably get a passable sauce in 30 minutes or so.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

A lot of places serve cuttlefish soup.

Here is a stunning episode of Nova about cuttlefish, who are related but very distinct from squid and octopus - http://video.pbs.org/video/1150618835

There are about 300 species of Octopus with a huge variance in size and diversity in traits and behaviors.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, you can, just like almost any vegetable. Just cut it in half, scrape out the schmutz (or wait and do it later, whatever), and put it face down in a pan or something. Cover it with plastic wrap (it's fine in the microwave) and microwave for something like ten minutes or until fork soft. Then you can use it however you want. I use the microwave a lot as a short cut to speed up cooking other veg, too - like for roasted sweet potato, I'll cut things up, microwave them a bit, then toss them in oil and roast. Or when cubing potatoes for skillet breakfast hash, etc.

I used broth and stock interchangeably, which is perhaps a bad idea. I mean whatever stock you want. I would use veggie stock, but I don't eat meat.

I exploded a spaghetti squash in the microwave once. Had deep holes poked in it all over and everything. Won't be doing that without cutting it in half first again.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Speaking of microwaves, does anyone know a decent (American-style) biscuit recipe? I'd like to make some biscuits for Thanksgiving, but the (tiny) Japanese oven I'll be using for the turkey is going to be overtaxed as it is...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't have a recipe but I suggest checking those rice cooker baking sites. I suspect a biscuit might be doable that way and it'd solve the oven problem.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Would a rice cooker get hot enough? Most biscuit recipes I've seen call for a lot of heat, usually around 230 C.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004
I'm planning on making a stuffing recipe (specifically this one) for Thanksgiving that requires a pound of chanterelle mushrooms. Chanterelles are really expensive (our nearby Whole Foods has them at $25/lb). Would the recipe be horribly marred by using half a pound of the chanterelles and half a pound of something a little less expensive. Alternatively is there a cheaper place in Northern Virginia/DC to get chanterelles?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sub it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Agreed, sub it. But mushrooms are usually much cheaper at Wegmans than at Whole Foods.

I bought porcini mushrooms there for half the price I saw at WF.

Edit:
So hey, only putting on one oven mitt and then realizing the pan is really heavy, then supporting your mitted hand with your other hand and accidentally touching the metal tip at the end of the handle with the meat of your unmitted thumb? Hurts.

But this was worth it.

The rendered fat is sitting in a coffee filter right now :3:

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 19, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I've been put in the unenviable position of making the Turkey this thanksgiving. I've never cooked a turkey before.

What's the most fool proof newbie way of cooking the turkey so that it isn't dry as hell?

I came across this recipe

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/a-simply-perfect-roast-turkey/

I have a 22 pound turkey so i figure i'd have to add some time to it.

What do you guys think? Or do you have a better suggestion? Thanks!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
At the grocery store they sell these plastic bags you can put the turkey in to cook it. Buy that. Do what it says.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
How about something smaller, like a four-pound turkey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Happy Hat posted:

Do not brine the duck - slow roast it!

Your sides should be caramelized fingerling potatoes, cream based sauce, pickled red cabbage, baked apples with jelly and rice pudding for dessert..

Edit: Traditional Danish christmas fare!

This sounds perfect. I will do it! Thanks!

(my country already copies Danish cuisine for breakfast. I will carry on this legacy!)

Mister Fister posted:

I've been put in the unenviable position of making the Turkey this thanksgiving. I've never cooked a turkey before.

What's the most fool proof newbie way of cooking the turkey so that it isn't dry as hell?

I came across this recipe

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/a-simply-perfect-roast-turkey/

I have a 22 pound turkey so i figure i'd have to add some time to it.

What do you guys think? Or do you have a better suggestion? Thanks!

The best way to get a juicy turkey in my experience, is to brine the poo poo out of it. Best turkey I ever had was brined.