Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
This new Mario game is pretty weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Bombadilillo posted:

That sounds awesome! Except I dont want to turn on my WiiU to change input to turn on my ps3.

I run everything through a receiver that the TVii remote functionality doesn't even know of so it's not too useful here either.

Had to change the audio delay on the receiver to get the Gamepad to sync up with what my speakers are putting out too. On the plus side it looks like the TV and Gamepad video are almost exactly synchronized due to the receiver delay.

ohthatdan
Jan 10, 2007

...Soldering Iron...
What a difference between this launch and the original Wii. I waited on line 8 or 9 hours with about 150 people 6 years ago. When I got home, I had one of the launch Wiis that had an error and wouldn't save, so I didn't even bother with Zelda. So I played Red Steel, which severely disappointed me and made me very dizzy. I ended up selling the system a year and a half later.

Cut to today. I remembered at 7am that the system came out this morning and decided to head to Target to give it a shot. Went in and walked out five minutes later with a basic and two games. Came home and played Zombi U and was thoroughly impressed. So far so good here.

ohthatdan fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 18, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

This new Mario game is pretty weird

That's just Mario 2 starring two fat old guys (rest in peace, cap'n).

parasyte posted:

If you look closely there's a "Not for resale" marking on the pack-in Nintendoland case.

Ugh, so it is.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Social Dissonance posted:

Yeah unless I'm crazy or my wireless has suddenly gone terrible, I'm going to picking up a lan and powerline adapter.

a lot of people are having this problem (me included). apparently if you manually neter all the settings, it will work.

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/77927#77927

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Monster w21 Faces posted:

There are people that don't like the Souls games and Monster Hunter either.

I pity those people.

While reading any review you have to read between the lines to see if the reviewer wanted COD: Black Ops Zombies (ie, player is extremely power and mows down zombies)or a more survival horror Zombies (player is weak and must play slow/smart to live).

Do that and the score spread makes a ton of sense.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Nabbit is horrifying.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Was first in line at GS this morning (already had it paid for) but the line ended up being about 8~10 deep... appeared to have 12 systems, all Deluxe :smug:

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

parasyte posted:

If you look closely there's a "Not for resale" marking on the pack-in Nintendoland case.

Hasn't stopped a lot of the game stores I've visited. I see them reselling those pack-in copies of Wii Sports with paper cases all the time.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
How many of the Nintendo Land games require a Motion Plus? I only have one of those mothers.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
So my friend picked up my Wii U but EBGames claimed they didn't have any copies of Sonic.

Turns out that nobody opened up the friggin' box to take them out.

:negative:

Oh well, I'll pick it up on Tuesday.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Is there a way to have multiple saves with Zombi U? I remember the save select screen only having one slot. Is it possible for multiple people to be playing different games?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Is there a way to have multiple saves with Zombi U? I remember the save select screen only having one slot. Is it possible for multiple people to be playing different games?
Maybe if you log in with separate Miis?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

spaceship posted:

a lot of people are having this problem (me included). apparently if you manually neter all the settings, it will work.

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/77927#77927

Update: Just did this and IT WORKS

Can't wait to spend all afternoon updating heh heh heh

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So my friend picked up my Wii U but EBGames claimed they didn't have any copies of Sonic.

Turns out that nobody opened up the friggin' box to take them out.

:negative:

Oh well, I'll pick it up on Tuesday.

You can also buy it eshop style!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

SyRauk posted:

Nabbit is horrifying.

Whats a nabbit?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Question: do USB-powered external drives work with the system? IGN's recent breakdown was kind of unclear.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I'm down in Florida for work and I decided to check Walmart's website to see if they had any in stock nearby. It showed that the 10 closest stores to me had them in stock and I could use Site to Store and pick it up. I decided to call first. Every single store laughed at me when I asked if they had any :(

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Scratch-O posted:

Hasn't stopped a lot of the game stores I've visited. I see them reselling those pack-in copies of Wii Sports with paper cases all the time.

Yeah it was less a "no you can't trade it" as that has little legal weight once it's been sold, more as an answer to the claim that the pack-in Nintendoland is the same as the for-sale Nintendoland. It's different, but very subtly as the NFR text is pretty inconspicuous.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Tried to check out Miiverse. Currently experiencing an error.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
When people talk about the GameSpot review of ZombiU in particular, I don't agree that the guy went into it wanting a particular type of game. He pretty clearly said that the gunplay itself feels good while the melee is very repetitive. The reviewer's statement that they should have focused on the gunplay seemed like a result of its relative quality rather than a preference for shooters.

I'm personally encouraged by the positive reviews, but I still want to see where the nuance in the melee combat comes in. So far I see players timing the same attack again and again to juggle zombies. It looks like you can also sort of shove enemies instead of hitting them.

Having elements of slower paced, methodical games is good, but that core gameplay should be fun and open to experimentation. If it is, I haven't seen the reasons expressed yet.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Chaltab posted:

Question: do USB-powered external drives work with the system? IGN's recent breakdown was kind of unclear.

Yes, it supports usb 2.0 but not 3.0 up to 3 terabit drives. Its a major feature of the system to pick your own storage.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

Chaltab posted:

Maybe if you log in with separate Miis?

Tried tried it, totally works. So Nintendo literally made the Mii's as individual profile-y as it looks like, awesome.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Chaltab posted:

I'm not 100% sure but I thought I heard you have to have a y cable for a usb powered drive.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Bombadilillo posted:

Whats a nabbit?

It's a demented rabbit that steals items from Toad and then runs into a previous course and you must catch him. I noticed that if you catch him in 20 seconds or less you can post it through the Miiverse but I don't have it set up yet.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bombadilillo posted:

You can also buy it eshop style!

I already bought it!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I already bought it!

:smith: aw thats a shame.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
So the miiverse error isn't just me right? It's getting slammed or something?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jetfire posted:

How many of the Nintendo Land games require a Motion Plus? I only have one of those mothers.

I think only Zelda and Metroid ask for it. The other games should work fine with regular wiimotes.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think only Zelda and Metroid ask for it. The other games should work fine with regular wiimotes.

Thats good news. I ordered some adapters last week cheap from amazon and they shipped the next day but they still arent here.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

When people talk about the GameSpot review of ZombiU in particular, I don't agree that the guy went into it wanting a particular type of game. He pretty clearly said that the gunplay itself feels good while the melee is very repetitive. The reviewer's statement that they should have focused on the gunplay seemed like a result of its relative quality rather than a preference for shooters.

I'm personally encouraged by the positive reviews, but I still want to see where the nuance in the melee combat comes in. So far I see players timing the same attack again and again to juggle zombies. It looks like you can also sort of shove enemies instead of hitting them.

Having elements of slower paced, methodical games is good, but that core gameplay should be fun and open to experimentation. If it is, I haven't seen the reasons expressed yet.

Yeah, the IGN review had the exact same complaint about repetitive, boring melee combat. Looking like I'll take a pass on this one until I hear from non-reviewers.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Ended up getting zombiu and orichi 3 for $30 after all my discounts :toot:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's basically the games that you'd think would require them, games that require aiming/swinging. The other games are more conventional controls so it's not necessary.

I've only played Metroid, Pikmin, Zelda, and the Ninja star game. I've liked all but Metroid so far (the controls on the airship seem really unwieldy).

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 18, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is this the system to get new games on ? I don't have a gaming PC, so I guess this is the next best one now. I'm interested in that new Aliens game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

jonathan posted:

Is this the system to get new games on ? I don't have a gaming PC, so I guess this is the next best one now. I'm interested in that new Aliens game.

Well that one in particular is listed as TBA while other consoles have s proper release date. But gently caress that, I am playing an aliens game with a proper motion detector on the controller. I will wait.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

jonathan posted:

Is this the system to get new games on ? I don't have a gaming PC, so I guess this is the next best one now.

New games will come out on this system, yes.

ShapesYay
Oct 18, 2004
I AM IN THE SKOOL BAND LOL

Legdiian posted:

I'm down in Florida for work and I decided to check Walmart's website to see if they had any in stock nearby. It showed that the 10 closest stores to me had them in stock and I could use Site to Store and pick it up. I decided to call first. Every single store laughed at me when I asked if they had any :(

2 hours ago I called a store that online said they had pickup. When i called they said they had zero. Placed the order anyway. I now have my premium in my hands!

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

So are Wii U games not getting their own threads?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Sold out everywhere it seems like. Anyone have luck at an unusual place? Going to head home I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
I didn't see it in the OP but do the new Pro controllers work with VC?

Also, what is the cheapest people have found Wii-motes with Motion Plus for new? I only have the old Wii-motes so looks like I'll need to purchase some but do not want to get screwed on the price if they are commonly on sale.

Also, for anyone interested in Chicago. The State street store (the new massive one in the Loop) only had 3 and was sold out instantly. The store on Roosevelt had a ton in the back and was able to pick it up with practically no one else in the store at 9.

• Locked thread