Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
This is odd.
I am trying to set everything up before I stary playing ,and right now I'm trying to do the Wii-to-Wii U transfer

I got a 2 GB SD card, which was used on my old Wii, to be the transfer card. It's in the Wii U right now and I went to prepar it for transferring, and it gives me "The device inserted in the SD Card slot cannot be used."

What the hell? It was used in my Wii plenty of times just time. What should I do? Should I just format it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Anyone have impressions on Nano Assault Neo? The video preview on the eShop is awesome.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Got it working. Just used a different SD card

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Anyone have any experience with external SSD drives they'd recommend? :allears:

Why would you use an SSD that's going to be bottlenecked by USB 2.0?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

jonathan posted:

Does the controller with the TV on it have to be in proximity of the console to work ? For example, can I take Super Mario to work or the toilet ?

Also, will Nintendo be censoring games like they have before ? (Mortal Kombat 1 for SNES) I haven't purchased any Nintendo stuff since then because I have a need for blood and gore and swearing.

Dude, Mortal Kombat II for SNES returned the blood. Have you been frozen for nearly two decades?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Crowbear posted:

Why would you use an SSD that's going to be bottlenecked by USB 2.0?

Because I'll punch you in the throat if you ask me any more difficult questions that's why!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh man. The Metroid FDS theme playing at the gate to the Metroid attraction. What is this beautiful feeling welling in my chest?

Nintendo just make another 2D Metroid like Zero Mission, god drat.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

jonathan posted:

Also, will Nintendo be censoring games like they have before ? (Mortal Kombat 1 for SNES) I haven't purchased any Nintendo stuff since then because I have a need for blood and gore and swearing.

You're concerned they'll force people to censor things because they did that nearly 20 years ago? I don't think you need to worry, they're the ones publishing the gorier improved version of Ninja Gaiden 3.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I think the Wii games do get upconverted, as Xenoblade did looked a lot better 720P when I was playing it just now. Didn't look as blurry as on the Wii.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

This is lame. It seems that my copy of Lost Winds cannot be tranferred. Why I have no idea. Anyone know of any other non-transferrable games?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

al-azad posted:

Oh man. The Metroid FDS theme playing at the gate to the Metroid attraction. What is this beautiful feeling welling in my chest?

Nintendo just make another 2D Metroid like Zero Mission, god drat.
All of the music in nintendoland is great. It's synth but they've gotten very close to that orchestral sound of Mario Galaxy/Skyward Sword, very drat close. Fooled me initially.

The music is so good in NintendoLand that it makes me glare at Nintendo for phoning it in as badly as they did with NSMBU. I mean maybe their resources were all diverted to Nintendoland but come onnnnn.

(completely loving nerdy side note: as a digital composer I can pick out what synths Nintendo is using, and it's all top of the line stuff. I hear cine winds, spitfire percussion, Hollywood strings, some sort of inhouse brass library?? It's all AAA libraries, and it sounds great. I always thought dummeh was getting close to hitting that sound. Nintendo got closer)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 18, 2012

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Morpheus posted:

"No, you cannot. A Nintendo Network Account can only be used on the console where it was created. In the future, you will be able to use your Nintendo Network Account with future Nintendo consoles and other devices, such as PC's."

So from what I'm hearing, this is no better than linking all your content to a single system. Like before. Except worse, now, because you can't transfer any data at all between Wii U systems.

At the very least, if your Wii U gets totally bricked and all the data stored on it is wiped, Nintendo should be able to transfer your Nintendo Network ID to a new console and save all your purchases. With the Wii you would just be out of luck in that situation, right?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Rirse posted:

I think the Wii games do get upconverted, as Xenoblade did looked a lot better 720P when I was playing it just now. Didn't look as blurry as on the Wii.

It definitely doesn't. My monitor switched to 480P when I entered Wii mode.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Has anyone noticed either stick on their tablet being slightly off-center? I'm trying to play ZombiU but unless I flick the right stick to the left first I start rotating very slowly to the right when I let go of it. I swear I can rotate right faster than I can rotate left, too, but that might just be placebo.

Should I return it? :smith:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

:argh: Curses, I played Nintendoland for a hour or so then went to do the system update based on reports from other goons. It started from nothing :mad: Now I have to wait for it. I guess I would anyway since I want to buy mario, but drat. Not cool.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

flyboi posted:

It definitely doesn't. My monitor switched to 480P when I entered Wii mode.

Weird, since my tv was on 720P when I was in Wii mode and it does automatically switch videos around (Megaman 9 over on the Wii would move to 480i instead of 480p when I would start it).

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Can the tablet be set up to control an av receiver? It strikes me as kind of worthless if it can't change inputs on it (the receiver).

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Tesh posted:

Anyone have impressions on Nano Assault Neo? The video preview on the eShop is awesome.

This guy was streaming it for a while earlier, and he was having tons of fun with it. Looked great from my perspective too.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Has anyone noticed either stick on their tablet being slightly off-center? I'm trying to play ZombiU but unless I flick the right stick to the left first I start rotating very slowly to the right when I let go of it. I swear I can rotate right faster than I can rotate left, too, but that might just be placebo.

Should I return it? :smith:

You can hold A,B,-,+ for 3 seconds to zero them, but if its offcenter...yet, maybe.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Gary Witta confirmed that the ethernet adapter for the Wii does work on the Wii U.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

A console without an ethernet port in 2012. What a loving joke.

scottus
Jul 31, 2012
Does anyone know how to activate Remote Play? (where you play on the gamepad)
Specifically for Assassin's Creed 3, unless it's system-wide.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

I think you not being rigged for wifi is a loving joke. Its 2012.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

More and more laptops have been leaving Ethernet ports out over the past few years. It's basically unconscionable and the reason why I still run with ThinkPads.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Want some ZombieU impressions from someone who typically hates survival horror games? Sure you do!

I loving adore this game.

I'm about an hour, hour-and-a-half into the game and it's definitely up my alley... it's tense, it's methodical, and if you like exploring and looting it's the game for you. Areas aren't quite as large as I'd hoped they'd be (so far) but it does seem that the developers, specifically the level designers, have thought about different play styles (attack any/everything, sneak past as much as you can, etc.) and included multiple paths to achieve the same goal; it definitely rewards exploring every safe path before encountering a zombie because it seems that oftentimes you can find a route of non-confrontation.

Graphically the lighting is excellent and sells the ambiance, so despite the relatively low detail textures/models the overall look is quite nice. Controls, especially the camera, seem a little too sluggish for my tastes, but I'm loving the tablet interaction (scanning, looting, switching weapons/flashlight, etc.); everything feels really well designed to heighten the tension.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 18, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

You can hold A,B,-,+ for 3 seconds to zero them, but if its offcenter...yet, maybe.

That's awesome and you're awesome, thanks. Crisis averted!

Now off to play WoW while the system updates. :v:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Its been 10 minutes and the update download is 50% done, I think the server is working faster then it did for everyone last night!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

In a lot of areas and homes, WiFi IS the loving joke. Trust me there's still PLENTY of need for ethernet, and while the USB ethernet thing works it can't have been THAT hard for the U to just have a built in port. :raise:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I went out at about 12:30 last night looking for one, first Walmart didn't have any whatsoever. Then I got lost in the ghetto, when I made it to the second Walmart at 1 the woman in electronics said they had sold out. It was still a good experience because I got to drive around with a buddy and shoot the poo poo for 2 hours. When I got home I got an email from ToysRUs saying that my unit should be here on Tuesday. My Amazon order of NSMBU and ZombiU should be here as well, so here's hoping that the UPS driver remembers my apartment entry code.

Couple of questions:

How simple is it to use an external HD? Does every drive require a Y cable or only drives that use extra power?

Anyone have impressions of Tekken?

Is the backwards compatibility already live? I want to pick up Brawl and some other wii games I missed but I want to make sure they already work.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 18, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
So you need to go on Miiverse to add friends right? Any word on when it will be back up?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Bombadilillo posted:

I've got Wifi you muppet but LAN is still faster.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

I've got Wifi you muppet but LAN is still faster.

Im sitting here waiting for the update to download. Based on nintendos network, if your wifi speed is the bottleneck in your setup, its your own problem.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

scottus posted:

Does anyone know how to activate Remote Play? (where you play on the gamepad)
Specifically for Assassin's Creed 3, unless it's system-wide.

Hold your finger down on the touch pad for 3 seconds. I havn't played AC3 yet but there was no mention of this in the Sonic Allstars Manuel

scottus
Jul 31, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

So you need to go on Miiverse to add friends right? Any word on when it will be back up?

You don't need to go to Miiverse. Just press the home button, click the little orange smiley box, and click "Register Friend" or press +

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
My perpetually freezing console has to be sent to Nintendo for repair. It seems they do not have advanced RMA available for WiiU right now.

Hopefully no one else has killed their console with the software update.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Today's my birthday, and I spent the midnight hour waiting patiently at the local Walmart. 12:01 struck, the clerks wheeled them out, and I happily strolled away with the black Nintendoland bundle, a pro controller, and Mario U.

It was too easy. There were 10 systems and only 5 of us.

Network ID is jcgelinas in case we're dumping them here.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

TheHoosier posted:

Network ID is jcgelinas in case we're dumping them here.

We're dumping them in this thread, actually.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517962

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
Holy poo poo this update is glacial -- I'm rocking 120 Mb/s downstream and I've been sitting here for 40 minutes waiting for this to download.

I don't think ACIII supports remote play -- but Batman does (and it looks awesome).

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
120 down yeah, but does your wifi?

Ciaphas posted:

and while the USB ethernet thing works it can't have been THAT hard for the U to just have a built in port. :raise:

Actually, it was. Ethernet and the required circuitry add far more heat than an extra USB port does, also takes up a lot of space. The adapter should be far cheaper though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

scottus posted:

You don't need to go to Miiverse. Just press the home button, click the little orange smiley box, and click "Register Friend" or press +

To an accept a friend request, I meant.

• Locked thread