Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obscure Risk
Feb 23, 2009

TASed losers
Cya dopes

NoSuperman posted:

Since I was none-too politely asked to post in the Sandcastle before opening up my LP thread, here's my opening post for a Dead Rising 2 VLP.

-snip-

Constructive criticism okay? And do try and be polite. This is the internet, show some class.

There's nothing to give criticism on other than the fact that there's just no content.

You posted a bunch of words about Dead Rising Two, congratulations.
Your posted concept sounds like it could be interesting, but we don't have much basis for that until you actually get around to posting something other than words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoSuperman
Jul 11, 2012

"How are you alive?"
"I may very well not be."

judge reinhold posted:

I think you're only following the letter of what those people said, not the spirit. There's no pre-approval in the Sandcastle, it's just a way to gauge your content and get feedback. People told you to post in here because the fact you posted a thread without any actual content hints that there are going to be more problems down the line.

And, yes, how long is your first video? How are you going to handle cutscenes?

I see...Well, in that case I apologise for any confusion/anger caused. I'll be back on Tuesday.

And also as a pre-warning, I've been using a Dazzle Capture card up until a few days ago. I finally shelled out for a HD PVR, so video quality may have a sudden bump up further on down the line.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Improve what though? Your explanation? It sounds like you've described the game just fine, but nobody really cares about the craft of that initial description.

What people are getting at is it's like you've brought tires to a car show. The tires are fine, but you should really have a car before you show up.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

NoSuperman posted:

Around 40 minutes, it shows pretty much the whole intro of the game.

And as an explanation, I'm putting up my intro post so I can improve it and have it ready for Tuesday when my first video goes up.

Repost the OP and the video here on Tuesday and then when we tell you what's wrong with it, redo the whole drat thing then post here again or start a thread if the remade video isn't utter poo poo.
Also, 40 minutes is getting a bit on the long side, you might consider splitting it into two videos.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

NoSuperman posted:

And also as a pre-warning, I've been using a Dazzle Capture card up until a few days ago. I finally shelled out for a HD PVR, so video quality may have a sudden bump up further on down the line.

You haven't posted anything yet, so with this in mind, it's probably already a good idea to redo your first video.

NoSuperman
Jul 11, 2012

"How are you alive?"

Cool Ghost posted:

You haven't posted anything yet, so with this in mind, it's probably already a good idea to redo your first video.

I plan to re-record it later today. Though I can't re-record any of the LP proper (I.E. anything that requires Mike to be there.) as Mike and I have conflicting schedules most days. I tried making this a solo LP but I found that wasn't very entertaining to watch.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

NoSuperman posted:

I see...Well, in that case I apologise for any confusion/anger caused. I'll be back on Tuesday.

Keep in mind that you're almost certainly going to be expected to redo whatever you post in here for criticism. That means scrapping the video, most likely including the gameplay recording itself, not just the commentary, and redoing it from scratch - as well as any videos that come later. In other words, you're better off not pre-recording too much just yet and not getting attached to the work you've already done. It's very rare for a new face to show up in the Sandcastle with a test post and be told "Great job! Good to go!"

Very rare.

/\/\/\
EDIT: Wait, you mean you've already made the LP and you were just planning to dump it here? Really?

Egomaniac fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 17, 2012

Dithiannim
Nov 8, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

I don't really have the time to really critique this or watch the video, but just looking at the opening post, it needs some more work.
But off the top of my head I think you really ought to consider splitting up things like e-mails, the site news, and forum posts into separate updates and sprinkle those between actual plot updates.
I don't know if you really need to give a synopsis of the anime before delving into the game. At the very least there has to be better way of going about it. Sorry I can't be more helpful right now, but I wanted to make sure this didn't get buried without some sort of response.

I'd hate to ask for more feedback.
Could I acquire more criticism?
Especially regarding the commentary in the video.

Note: This is only 13 minutes of e-mails, site news, and forum posts. I can't sprinkle these. This is a sprinkle compared to most where there is literally 2-3 hours of e-mails, site news, and forum posts in one update.
Also, I actually do need to give a synopsis of Roots because G.U. is a direct sequel to Roots. It doesn't make much sense without it. I realize text might not be the best way to do this, but I can't think of any other way.

Thank you.

Dithiannim fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 17, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Egomaniac posted:

EDIT: Wait, you mean you've already made the LP and you were just planning to dump it here? Really?

They probably recorded a bunch of footage with live-commentary for one play session. That's not unusual for group LPs.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
As someone who played and enjoyed the GU trilogy but still has yet to watch /Roots I can say with some confidence that everything you need to know from /Roots is memtioned in-game. The only thing that doesn't get covered as well is one Post Game party member in the third game.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

They probably recorded a bunch of footage with live-commentary for one play session. That's not unusual for group LPs.

Yes, but it's not something you should do before testing out your concept.

NoSuperman
Jul 11, 2012

"How are you alive?"

Egomaniac posted:

Yes, but it's not something you should do before testing out your concept.

You're probably right, but I don't want to discard 3 hours of material. I will if I have to, I just don't want to.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

NoSuperman posted:

Part 1: COMING TUESDAY

Constructive criticism okay? And do try and be polite. This is the internet, show some class.
How is it loving possible to be this stupid about Let's Play?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

NoSuperman posted:

You're probably right, but I don't want to discard 3 hours of material. I will if I have to, I just don't want to.

Oh, you don't HAVE to do anything. You don't have to record videos, you don't have to add commentary, you don't have to post here... but if you choose to do those things, then you're going to be judged on quality. If your quality isn't up to snuff, you're going to be invited to stop doing those things until you fix it.

You could never post again and I doubt anyone would particularly miss your contributions. You could put forth the effort to post the best material you possibly can, and perhaps garner some praise for what you've accomplished. There's a lot of middle ground between those two options, but I don't think you'd enjoy the result very much.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

NoSuperman posted:

I don't think anyone will mind so long as that material has good content in it. That's really why people are jumping all over you for not posting any content: there's nothing to provide feedback on, so everyone is going to complain about how there's nothing to provide feedback on. Sorry, that's just how the forums go. If you were to go into Debate & Discussion and make a post that's just "hey what do you guys think about Israel? Jews and Muslims, amirite?" then you'd get mocked for that, too.

If there are serious problems with those 3 hours of material then people are going to poo poo all over you because of those problems. It's up to you whether or not you want to redo it. The subforum is pretty forgiving when it comes to people who make lovely content but improve it. If the videos are good then you're already gold, so you should go ahead and post some here.

Personally I'm hoping that your videos are already pretty good because I want to see a good Dead Rising 2 LP pretty badly

NoSuperman
Jul 11, 2012

"How are you alive?"

QuarkJets posted:

I don't think anyone will mind so long as that material has good content in it. That's really why people are jumping all over you for not posting any content: there's nothing to provide feedback on, so everyone is going to complain about how there's nothing to provide feedback on. Sorry, that's just how the forums go. If you were to go into Debate & Discussion and make a post that's just "hey what do you guys think about Israel? Jews and Muslims, amirite?" then you'd get mocked for that, too.

If there are serious problems with those 3 hours of material then people are going to poo poo all over you because of those problems. It's up to you whether or not you want to redo it. The subforum is pretty forgiving when it comes to people who make lovely content but improve it. If the videos are good then you're already gold, so you should go ahead and post some here.

Personally I'm hoping that your videos are already pretty good because I want to see a good Dead Rising 2 LP pretty badly

That's the problem really. I have a HD PVR but Mike doesn't, and he's refusing to do it unless both my and his perspectives. I don't want my first true LP to be one that dies for months between videos. Just trying to keep everyone as happy as I can.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

NoSuperman posted:

We don't know yet, which is why you should post content in the Sandcastle first on your first go. It's possible the Dazzle footage is fine, I know nothing about that piece of hardware. Again, having something to look at wouldn't hurt.

I ask again what you plan to do for the cutscenes, because personally I think the plots of DR1 and 2 are really good material for riffing, but others disagree.

Also, if we are waiting 3 days for an intro video to evaluate, I think it would be forward-thinking of you to instead post an episode here that's a little further in so we can get a good grip on the chemistry with your co-op partner and how you plan to do the camera switching.

I'm baffled on how it's going to take you three days to upload a 40 minute video, so maybe a 10,15, or 20 minute segment of an episode would be easier? Also, I am baffled as to why this game is apparently such a blue baller in the Sandcastle.

NoSuperman posted:

That's the problem really. I have a HD PVR but Mike doesn't, and he's refusing to do it unless both my and his perspectives.
It's a good idea to have footage from both players just in case one sees something the other doesn't, sure. However, I assume your footage will be more prevalent, I hope you aren't pointlessly switching back and forth since quite obviously the game rules dictate both players have to be on the same map. And I submit that if it's cost prohibitive for your buddy to get an HD PVR, that's fine as long as his footage is not in disturbingly less quality.

...you're not planning to do a movie within a movie thing with his footage, are you?

Again, these things need to be explained to help you out.

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 17, 2012

NoSuperman
Jul 11, 2012

"How are you alive?"

judge reinhold posted:

I ask again what you plan to do for the cutscenes, because personally I think the plots of DR1 and 2 are really good material for riffing, but others disagree.
We'll likely be talking over them. But time allowing I'd probably create a "cut" and "uncut" video for each, a-la Chip Cheezum.

judge reinhold posted:

...you're not planning to do a movie within a movie thing with his footage, are you?

Oh GOD no. My video editing gear (Pinnacle 14 if it matters.) allows for 2 video tracks, I'd transition between the two whenever something interesting's happening.

Side note: A conversation with my friend shows this may take longer than anticipated to get all set up. But I'm not giving up on it! It may just take an extra week.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Ok here's the deal NoSuperman: an LP without an actual update is completely worthless and not worth looking at, period. There's no reason for the thread to exist or for a test post to exist without an update to show for it.

I understand wanting to get poo poo done early. That's fine! But you can spend time getting your updates ready before posting them, just saving them until everything is ready to show off.

I've been tweaking my Endless Ocean: Blue World LP since early September, thread and updates all. That's a bit unrealistic in terms of expectations for everyone, but it's an example of what I mean. You can have your thread and updates ready for when you post it, review the quality so on, without actually posting it.

Frankly unless you have nothing done to show for it, you shouldn't post about it. Period.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 17, 2012

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

NoSuperman posted:

Since I was none-too politely asked to post in the Sandcastle before opening up my LP thread, here's my opening post for a Dead Rising 2 VLP.

Part 1: COMING TUESDAY

Every one already covered the "we need a video" to offer any sort of advice and I'm gonna go a step further: :siren:Make sure the video has gameplay!:siren:

Don't be stupid and post just the opening cutscene. Also don't be stupid and put the long intro cut scene into your first episode and make it like two hours long. Intro cut scene is one video, start of game play another video.

NoSuperman posted:

You're going to have too cause I can pretty much guaranteeing that those three hours are un-watchable.

In-conclusion:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

How is it loving possible to be this stupid about Let's Play?

Dithiannim
Nov 8, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

As someone who played and enjoyed the GU trilogy but still has yet to watch /Roots I can say with some confidence that everything you need to know from /Roots is memtioned in-game. The only thing that doesn't get covered as well is one Post Game party member in the third game.

I disagree, mainly you don't know that much about Ovan or Shino (or Tabby/Ender/Phyllo/TaN/Sakisaka/Hideyo/Seisaku, etc etc). I guess I can go into some detail from the anime within the commentary itself, or better yet, introduce a character from the anime almost every update after the actual video... Ah yes... I quite like this idea... Similar to how ResearchIndicates introduced various planes in that Crimson Skies LP of his...
What do you think?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Volume posted:

You're going to have too cause I can pretty much guaranteeing that those three hours are un-watchable.

Posting their thread without actual LP content was a huge mistake, but I can pretty much guaranteeing that you're kind of being a dick.

NoSuperman
Jul 11, 2012

"How are you alive?"

Lizard Wizard posted:

Posting their thread without actual LP content was a huge mistake, but I can pretty much guaranteeing that you're kind of being a dick.

Don't worry about it, he's right. I re-watched the videos I already made and...Well, let's just say hindsight doesn't need glasses like I do.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Least you know now. My first haunted mansion video took enumerable revisions before it was up to snuff, for this hobby you need thick skin and a high tolerance for tedium, as you will be re-recording or re-editing the first video for weeks before it is ready. But it is a learning experience, so each subsequent LP you attempt will require fewer revisions to get up to standard as you improve your stable of skills. I lurked for months before I started, and I can't even look at my pre-SA work anymore it's that bad.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
Let's glitch Little Big Adventure 2!

:siren:This is not going to be a proper playthrough.:siren:

Little Big Adventure 2 (AKA Twinsen's Oddysey) is an adventure game released in 1997, and one I greatly enjoyed as a child. After trying to do a proper playthrough of it a long time ago, I realized that what I love now about the game is its wonderful, exploitable game engine.

The following videos will explore the great many glitches, sequence breaks, and strange quirks that exist in LBA2.

#1 It's raining on Desert Island (Youtube)

Goin' Up

Regarding the video itself: There are a bunch of little things wrong (I start off a bit slow, the game audio clips juuuust a bit) with the video, but I'm really happy with my commentary as a whole.

Should I re-do the video, or are they negligible enough?

One thing I probably need to do regardless is re-balance the audio again. I was fiddling with it for a while, but I'm pretty sure the game audio is too loud.

crime weed fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 18, 2012

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Bacter posted:

I've actually got a question tangentially related to that thread.

So it was locked because it's got no content, which was a super classy move, starting a thread with none of that.

But say I was going to hypothetically do an LP of a game that had two main campaigns and wanted to let the thread pick which one would be LP'd.

Would it be best to, say, record the first mission from both campaigns, then post THAT as an OP and say "here pick between these"? Or just say "pick your campaign and I'll get cracking on that"?

In the past people have just asked for a first decision like that in the sandcastle.

heroiccreampuff
May 29, 2012

penguins love soccer

Dithiannim posted:

I disagree, mainly you don't know that much about Ovan or Shino (or Tabby/Ender/Phyllo/TaN/Sakisaka/Hideyo/Seisaku, etc etc). I guess I can go into some detail from the anime within the commentary itself, or better yet, introduce a character from the anime almost every update after the actual video... Ah yes... I quite like this idea... Similar to how ResearchIndicates introduced various planes in that Crimson Skies LP of his...
What do you think?
But the question is: how much do you really need to know about those characters to fully enjoy GU as a game? Barely any of them have a physical presence in the game aside from Shino and Ovan, and your textdump about them in Roots is covered pretty nicely by the game itself. If anything I would argue that IMOQ is more integral to understanding the plot, since otherwise callbacks like the "Terror of Death" nickname are overlooked. (Note: I wouldn't actually recommend a textdump on IMOQ either mind you because christ that'd be a lot of words.)

As a word of well-intended advice though: introducing characters in updates will come off as sort of random unless they were somehow mentioned in the accompanying video. If I theoretically knew nothing about the .hack series and wandered into your LP, only to see that one of the first updates had a bio for some random catgirl, I would probably leave in a hurry.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I made a Command & Conquer: Renegade test post a while ago. Since then, I've done some work on my OP to explain the game's back story.

OP posted:

Let's Play Command & Conquer: Renegade! Watch for Snipers!

[IMG]Box pic would be here, but it's still the same as before[/IMG]
Click for Intro/Teaser Movie

What's this all about?

Command & Conquer: Renegade is the first FPS to take place in the Command & Conquer "Tiberium" universe. The player controls GDI commando Nick "Havoc" Parker as he fights the Brotherhood of Nod while being generally badass.

Only generally badass?

There are some scenes where he's not as badass as he could have been.

Could you explain this GDI, Nod, and Tiberium business?

Back in 1995, Westwood Studios released a real-time strategy game called Command & Conquer (later known as Tiberium Dawn). Command & Conquer takes place in the late 1990s in a world plagued by an alien substance called Tiberium. Tiberium spreads through the ground like a disease, leeching heavy metals from the soil and forming precious green crystals above ground. A previously-unknown messianic cult called the Brotherhood of Nod, led by the mysterious and charismatic Kane, sees the potential of Tiberium. They rush to harvest, process, and control as much as possible. Nod then uses the wealth to form armies and terrorist cells and pursue world domination. In response to Nod's aggression, the United Nations orders the Global Defense Initiative (GDI), a supranational military force, to destroy Nod. Nod's Tiberium mastery, wealth, cunning, and fanaticism allow them to turn the fight into a prolonged worldwide war. Command & Conquer: Renegade puts us into this conflict and gives us the power to end it.

What's this "commando" thing?

One of the fan favorites from Command & Conquer is the Commando. The commando is an excellent sniper and can demolish buildings with C4 explosives. He's also smug as hell and spouts one-liners like an action hero. Havoc is like that commando but better.

What are we, Nick "Havoc" "Commando-But-Better" Parker, going to do?

We're going to bring down the Brotherhood of Nod and make Kane look like a fool. We'll have access to a variety of guns, explosives, explosive guns, energy weapons, vehicles, and one-liners.

What's the spoiler policy?

It's okay to talk about anything we know from the Tiberium series of games and how they relate to Renegade. It's not okay to spoil events specific to this game, like the revelation that Havoc's father was a hypercube. If you're in doubt, put anything that smells like a spoiler in tags.

I've also worked on my videos but I have some issues/doubts. First: I messed around with the game's display settings and found that I can record in 720p with no slowdown or stuttering. I think the graphics look much more crisp, but I have a feeling more experienced eyes will see problems I don't. Here's mission one re-recorded at 720p: YouTube DailyMotion. For comparison: This is what I originally recorded at 800x600.

Second: How are my subtitles? I was told to move the subtitles off of the HUD and change their color so they stand out from the scenery. I did that, but is it enough? Is the text easy to read? No one commented on the size or the typeface, but I have a feeling there's room for improvement there. I'm especially worried that my subs are too small in 720p. I didn't increase the font size because I didn't know if that was necessary.

Final question: How much do I need to explain in the first update post? There's limited room in the video itself to say everything I want to say and the subs would clutter the screen if I tried. I know that in the first post, I'd like to talk more about GDI and Nod and compare. Is there anything else that would help a viewer who's new to the Tiberium universe?

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 18, 2012

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

ArchWizard posted:

Final question: How much do I need to explain in the first update post? There's limited room in the video itself to say everything I want to say and the subs would clutter the screen if I tried. I know that in the first post, I'd like to talk more about GDI and Nod and compare. Is there anything else that would help a viewer who's new to the Tiberium universe?

I'm not particularly adept at technical stuff, so I'll address this question as best I can. Well, the first point is what you're comparing between GDI and Nod. Since you already covered everything about how the factions relate to each other in the game's universe, it would probably be good to compare each side's weapons and equipment. For example, draw a comparison between GDI's Medium Tank and Nod's Light Tank in Renegade.

As the game goes on and you start seeing more stuff, you can draw comparisons between more vehicles, weapons, and infantry. Between the Buggy and the Humvee, Orca and the Apache, GDI infantry weapons vs. Nod infantry weapons, etc. When you start actually going into Nod buildings, you can talk about how Nod architecture differs from GDI architecture, and try to include pictures that illustrate the difference.

As an aside, I do like how you addressed the appeal of the Commando and why this game is based on the Commando.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Sylphid posted:

I'm not particularly adept at technical stuff, so I'll address this question as best I can. Well, the first point is what you're comparing between GDI and Nod. Since you already covered everything about how the factions relate to each other in the game's universe, it would probably be good to compare each side's weapons and equipment. For example, draw a comparison between GDI's Medium Tank and Nod's Light Tank in Renegade.

As the game goes on and you start seeing more stuff, you can draw comparisons between more vehicles, weapons, and infantry. Between the Buggy and the Humvee, Orca and the Apache, GDI infantry weapons vs. Nod infantry weapons, etc. When you start actually going into Nod buildings, you can talk about how Nod architecture differs from GDI architecture, and try to include pictures that illustrate the difference.
I originally meant to say that I would "talk more about GDI and Nod and compare unit aesthetics," but I must have edited that out by mistake. That's been part of the plan for a while, but you're right that I should also compare units on a practical level as well. I could also point out how some units have different abilities in Renegade than they do in Tiberium Dawn.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kjoery posted:

Let's glitch Little Big Adventure 2!

:siren:This is not going to be a proper playthrough.:siren:

Little Big Adventure 2 (AKA Twinsen's Oddysey) is an adventure game released in 1997, and one I greatly enjoyed as a child. After trying to do a proper playthrough of it a long time ago, I realized that what I love now about the game is its wonderful, exploitable game engine.

The following videos will explore the great many glitches, sequence breaks, and strange quirks that exist in LBA2.

#1 It's raining on Desert Island (Youtube)

Goin' Up

Regarding the video itself: There are a bunch of little things wrong (I start off a bit slow, the game audio clips juuuust a bit) with the video, but I'm really happy with my commentary as a whole.

Should I re-do the video, or are they negligible enough?

One thing I probably need to do regardless is re-balance the audio again. I was fiddling with it for a while, but I'm pretty sure the game audio is too loud.

This looks good and funny to me. I don't think it's necessary to pause your commentary for the dialogue so much, since you're not doing a regular playthrough. Just ducking the volume of dialogue would be enough.

It does make me want to see a good regular LP of the LBA series, though. :(

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

davidspackage posted:

This looks good and funny to me. I don't think it's necessary to pause your commentary for the dialogue so much, since you're not doing a regular playthrough. Just ducking the volume of dialogue would be enough.

It does make me want to see a good regular LP of the LBA series, though. :(
I, um, could finish the playthrough that I started ages ago, but...

I'm kind of ashamed of it. I was trying really hard to be funny in them, and you just can't do that. I dunno, tell me what you think: episode 1 of my old let's play

So yeah, I could finish it/start a new full playthrough AND do a glitchthrough, releasing a bunch of playthrough episodes at once, so the glitchthrough doesn't spoil anything.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
Let's play X-COM: UFO Defense

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Kjoery posted:

I'm kind of ashamed of it. I was trying really hard to be funny in them, and you just can't do that. I dunno, tell me what you think: episode 1 of my old let's play

So yeah, I could finish it/start a new full playthrough AND do a glitchthrough, releasing a bunch of playthrough episodes at once, so the glitchthrough doesn't spoil anything.

I can't see anything wrong personally, but there may be little things I'm not experienced enough to notice. I skipped to the gameplay to check out the commentary, which was informative and I personally found the Dog joke amusing as it didn't go on too long. I'd wait until more experienced LPers have weighed in though.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Kjoery posted:

I watched some of the old playthrough as well and I enjoyed it. I was going to watch through until you got to where you were at the end of the glitch video, but I can tell you skipped large parts of the game in one video alone. I don't think it would be a youtube dump to include the actual playthrough to show all you're skipping, even though you'd have to link about ten old videos for each new one (I don't really know any of what you're going to do, so maybe the skips get less big over time, or maybe you finish the game in three videos). If you want to redo the actual playthrough, that's your call, but it would be nice to link those so people who didn't play LBA2 can follow what's going on.

On the actual glitch video, my suggestion is that if you don't give yourself time to say or explain something, don't mention that you didn't have enough time, and just say what you were going to say. That happened two or three times, but everything else was solid.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Yeah it's something I would watch (given, I played the heck out of Twinsen's adventure back in the day, so I have an interest in this game anyway)

The commentary is mostly fine. The dog thing was whatever, but nothing like a deal breaker - you were informative, and I'd encourage you to do a regular walkthrough along with the glitches!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Edit: poo poo LP. Ignore this post.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 18, 2012

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
It's pretty boring and nobody really wants to read your roleplay log. There's no reason not to have screenshots in and frankly it's not much of an LP if all you're doing is making vague descriptions of your gameplay in text format.

It's already a thin line between weird roleplaying and interesting story when people do SSLPs 'in-character', but this is just flat out roleplaying.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sentrygun posted:

It's pretty boring and nobody really wants to read your roleplay log. There's no reason not to have screenshots in and frankly it's not much of an LP if all you're doing is making vague descriptions of your gameplay in text format.

It's already a thin line between weird roleplaying and interesting story when people do SSLPs 'in-character', but this is just flat out roleplaying.

Got you, I see what you mean yeah, the first few were done for a roleplaying site so I can see how that would be a problem, would Screenshots solve the problem or would it still be a bit too much Roleplay, not enough Let's play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Turtlicious posted:

Doing Fallout New Vegas, Pure Text, maybe I'll sneak in a screenshot or two, it's really more of a journal that I'm creating to help me RP, I've done a couple of these just for my self. I'm wondering if Pure Text would work or not.

It doesn't work at all. The writing isn't interesting (Too many fucks, to many interjections, no substance - and what's the deal with [writing circumstantial notes like this]; if you want to include descriptions, just write proper sentences into proper paragraphs, goddammit.) and it's all very disorienting and badly formated.

• Locked thread