Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah that's the one I use. It's more straightforward than most in that you set the temp and it beeps at that temp. Some others beep early (because of carryover) but I know what temp I want to pull something at. Worse, there are others that let you choose what kind of meat you're cooking, which only works if you're cooking to 1950's doneness standards.

I think even the ones that let you choose what meat you're cooking will at least have one "custom" setting where you can pick what temp you want and it will only beep at that temp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I think even the ones that let you choose what meat you're cooking will at least have one "custom" setting where you can pick what temp you want and it will only beep at that temp

Yes but I cannot abide a product that encourages people to cook poorly.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

They fall apart after a while, so look for one that has a detachable/replaceable cord/probe and with metal shielding on the cord instead of plastic.

This should be a good one, I recall several people recommended it last Thanksgiving:
http://www.amazon.com/ThermoWorks-O...ords=meat+probe

I have used one of these for 3 plus years... Works great I don't think I have even changed the battery yet. I'd recommend picking up an extra probe just in case... I think they are only 8ish dollars.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I want to buy my girlfriend a knife for christmas, she works as a cook so knows her poo poo, but doesn't own many knives. Im looking for something that is good quality but also looks nice/pretty. I know nothing about this kind of thing so was wondering if someone could give a suggestion as to which would be best. My budget is £50.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Yes but I cannot abide a product that encourages people to cook poorly.

yeah I hate slow cookers too

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ghetto Blaster posted:

I want to buy my girlfriend a knife for christmas, she works as a cook so knows her poo poo, but doesn't own many knives. Im looking for something that is good quality but also looks nice/pretty. I know nothing about this kind of thing so was wondering if someone could give a suggestion as to which would be best. My budget is £50.

You might want to ask her what she wants. If she's familiar with knives she might have something in mind that she wants...? What knives does she already have?

edit: Just going with the assumption that she needs a 20cm/8 inch chef knife, and you want something that looks nice, you probably want one with a bolster (the thick lump of metal connecting the handle with the blade). I'm not familiar with brands in the UK but here are some I found that looked decent under £50:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stellar-Sabatier-20cm-Cooks-Knife/dp/B0000BY7NM/ref=sr_1_26?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1353278307&sr=1-26

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Veritable-Sabatier-Cooks-Knife-Stainless/dp/B0071WLUWC/ref=sr_1_40?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1353278307&sr=1-40

If you shop around other places, look for:
- bolster
- full tang
- high carbon steel

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 18, 2012

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

You might want to ask her what she wants. If she's familiar with knives she might have something in mind that she wants...? What knives does she already have?

Yeah, if she works as a cook, there's a decent chance that your best bet will be to replace/upgrade something that she already uses regularly, probably her chef's knife. Those huge knife sets are generally frowned upon - to get by, all most people need is a chef's knife and paring knife for general work, a bread knife if baking is involved, and a boning knife if breaking down animals is involved. Useful specialty knives are kind of rare.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Ghetto Blaster posted:

At £50, I'm afraid it might be a little tricky to find something that's good enough as a professional tool and looks nice, at least for larger blades. You might be able to find a MAC paring knife around that price - good knives but not that fancy looking.

The Masahiro mamacut is priced somewhere around there and is a really good knife for the price. Or the Masahiro paring knife (http://www.knives.co.uk/acatalog/Paring_Knife_MH-901.html) which is also good (but paring knife preferences are really really specific from cook to cook).

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Dane posted:

The Masahiro mamacut is priced somewhere around there and is a really good knife for the price. Or the Masahiro paring knife (http://www.knives.co.uk/acatalog/Paring_Knife_MH-901.html) which is also good (but paring knife preferences are really really specific from cook to cook).

The Tojiro knives on that website look terrible. http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro-dp/chefs-knife-p113709 is a fantastic knife, and right at the top of your price range. Dunno if they ship to the UK.

quote:

- bolster
- full tang
- high carbon steel

bolsters suck, and the knives you linked probably aren't much better than a victorinox. Any knife can carry the sabatier name in europe, and the best knives are coming out of japan right now anyways. Tojiro are a fantastic entry level japanese knife for the price, you can also go for any of the cheaper carbon steel knives that will patina.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 19, 2012

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The Tojiro knives on that website look terrible.

I didn't say anything about the Tojiros?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Dane posted:

I didn't say anything about the Tojiros?

Oh, I know, was just commenting on them. All the knives on that site seem a little overpriced, but maybe knives are more expensive in the UK?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It would appear that way. There are plenty of Wusthof, Henkel and other knives for $80 and below on Amazon.com, but very few options on co.uk

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
And yet the first knife you just linked to has a bolster :confused:

quote:

and the knives you linked probably aren't much better than a victorinox.

Yes, but we are talking about a £50 budget here. Victorinox isn't exactly nice looking and while the first Tojiro knife you linked to is very nice, shipping to the UK is going to come out to $50-60.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 19, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

And yet the first knife you just linked to has a bolster :confused:

Yes, but we are talking about a £50 budget here. Victorinox isn't exactly nice looking and while the first Tojiro knife you linked to is very nice, shipping to the UK is going to come out to $50-60.

When I say no bolster, I mean it doesn't have that bit of useless steel at the heel of the knife. In that sense, the first knife is bolsterless.

I'm sure there's a UK retailer that has Tojiro at a reasonable price somewhere.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

When I say no bolster, I mean it doesn't have that bit of useless steel at the heel of the knife. In that sense, the first knife is bolsterless.
Wellllll the product description says it has a bolster and you can plainly see in the picture that it has what is generally accepted as a bolster. Perhaps you want to use a different word, like "heel bolster"

quote:

I'm sure there's a UK retailer that has Tojiro at a reasonable price somewhere.
I'm not quite so sure, which is why I suggested a list of features to look for in a knife, in case there isn't.

While you may not like heel bolsters and there are many on the forums who also don't like them (for valid reasons, sure), for most people it's a generally appreciated feature that gives the knife greater heft when cutting through tough vegetables, better handling, and is a sign that the blade is forged rather than stamped. Whatever quarter inch of cutting length that is lost is a good trade IMO. Since Dane seems to be new to knife shopping I'm suggesting the type of knife features that most cooks will appreciate.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
up your budget or get a cheaper knife. 50 pounds is not a lot of money. if money is an issue, just get a victorinox - they're fine knives.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I think you guys are right about needing to raise my budget, i had no idea they were so expensive, especially if i want to get a chefs knife which i think i do. Some of the knifes you've all suggested are really nice especially the Japanese ones. Thanks!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ghetto Blaster posted:

I think you guys are right about needing to raise my budget, i had no idea they were so expensive, especially if i want to get a chefs knife which i think i do. Some of the knifes you've all suggested are really nice especially the Japanese ones. Thanks!

If you are willing to more than double your budget, this is a fantastic knife: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moao2gy24.html

I have one of these and love it: (string search for GEKKO GE-5M)
http://japanesechefsknife.com/SPECIALS.html

One thing you may want to consider is how much upkeep do you want to have to perform. Many of these Japanese knives cannot be honed. One big difference between (most) Japanese and European knives is the steel. European knives are designed to be mass produced and as a result, are forged. You cannot effectively mass produce a knife with very hard steel, and as a result the steel in Henckels/Wusthof/etc are softer requiring frequent truing/honing and cannot hold an agressive (steep) edge. Japanese knives (again typically) are made with very hard steels. These steels can hold quite aggressive edges but are brittle and do not bend like european knives do. Because of this they cannot be honed/trued but they also do not require nearly as much day to day upkeep as a Euro knife. A high grit water stone serves the purpose of a knife steel for these knives, but only need very infrequent touchups if proper knife handling is used. Some japanese steels are not entirely stainless. Aogami or Shirogami (Blue steel, white steel) can oxidize and pick up a patina. Some people think this looks nice and attractive, others don't care for it.

Also, consider what handle. Many japanese knives come in both western (what you're probably used to seeing ) and "wa" forms (the moritaka above), ie gyuto vs wa-gyuto. You also should pay attention to the bevel. Some knives are single beveled edge which can take some getting used to for most people. You probably want a double bevel.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 19, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
On the topic of knives, I have a 4 inch paring knife that's starting to feel too long. I'm shopping around and saw some straight edge sheep's foot paring knives. Any opinions on those? Is there even really a difference?

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
What kind of sharpening stones would you guys recommend to a beginner? Will I need multiple grits or is there an "all-round" stone I can get? I have a sharpmaker but the stones wobble too much my taste and I won't trust it with an expensive knife.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
From previous page:

SubG posted:

One of these is the kind of coarse/fine Norton stone I had in mind, but I just use it as an example of a generic stone rather than as a specific recommendation. I like the crystolon stones in general, as they tend to have good wear characteristics compared to most natural stones (and so you don't have to worry about flattening them as often). And I tend to prefer oilstones over whetstones just because they're less fussy as well as having better wear resistance. It's not magic though and pretty much any stone from a reputable manufacturer will work more or less like every other stone of the same grit.

The only real caveat I'd add is that if you've got a lot of knives with exotic steels with high carbide content you might want to invest in a set of DMT diamond hones, as almost all other sharpening stones will be softer than the carbide groups.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Humphrey Vasel posted:

What kind of sharpening stones would you guys recommend to a beginner? Will I need multiple grits or is there an "all-round" stone I can get? I have a sharpmaker but the stones wobble too much my taste and I won't trust it with an expensive knife.

You can start with a basic cinderblock and then move up to a higher grit brick and finally a leather belt for a nice polish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSzq45W0LTk

Sharpening knives is tedious business but it's a skill worth learning. I love that video I linked up above, he really makes a strong case that there's no excuse for a dull knife when sharpening tools are available all around. It's funny but because we live in a modern world that doesn't live or die by our ability to hunt and forage many of the tools that are important to that endeavor just get overlooked. The skills for maintaining those tools get lost as well.

By the way, you'll find people in GWS like to draw a distinction between "honing" and "sharpening" their knives. In my opinion it's an unnecessary quibble but what the hell, there is a minor difference between the activities. The idea is that when you sharpen a knife you are removing bulk chunks of metal and grinding it down into its initial triangular shape. Then, when it's sharp, you just need to maintain that edge and keep it smooth and straight. That's when you're honing the knife. As far as I'm concerned you're sharpening the drat thing or maintaining its sharpness but you will find people who get upset if you don't pay attention to this distinction.

Hone often, sharpen infrequently is the general wisdom.

For a beginner, just learning how to keep a consistent angle and put a good edge on a knife is going to be a revelation. Holy poo poo, shaving some hairs off your arm with a knife is so drat cool. Can you make it sharper? Oh my yes, but for a beginner that's pretty drat good. Maintaining that edge is the next trick and when you keep your edge touched up then you'll always be ready for chopping and slicing up your food.

This guy (MrEZCooking) has some helpful videos to teach you how to sharpen Western and Japanese knives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyLif-chWe0

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have a knife sharpener in my yard already :aaaaa:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 22, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Fizz Giz arrived. $30 to carbonate whatever you want. Runs on standard co2 bulbs. It works! Sort of. Some things carbonate better than others.

Juice: carbonates, but not as much as cola you'd get from the store.

Soy milk: carbonates a little too well, explodes out of the bottle as a creamy foam, kind of tastes like melted ice cream.

edit: okay, so reading some more, it looks like some liquids take longer to absorb co2 than others. It says some might need to sit for a few hours to fully absorb the carbonation. Shaking speeds it up

Also, the brochure shows an adapter kit that lets you use standard large co2 bottles for $40

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 22, 2012

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Yes, honing and sharpening are totally different processes, as CC writes above. Honing straightens a wavy but still sharp edge, sharpening removes material to create a new edge. When honing no longer works you need to sharpen.

The problem is that many manufacturers of rod hones also don't distinguish between honing and sharpening - if you use an abrasive diamond hone or a "medium" steel hone with aggressive grooves you are removing material and, effectively, honing and sharpening at the same time. This may not matter to most people, but if you're already interested in sharpening your own knives you might as well learn it. If you get a hone, get one as close to smooth as possible.

For most non-obsessive home cooks a single waterstone in the 1000-4000 grit range should work fine. If you want a fairly complete setup you could get something like 220 - 1000 - 4000 - 8000 (Norton sells a decent set of exactly that; this kit from Chef Knives to Go is also well liked). Stone fineness does not increase in direct proportion with grit number - the difference between a 200 and a 1000 is much greater than the difference between a 1000 and 4000. Very coarse stones like the 220 remove a great deal of material, which helps rebuild ruined edges. This is not something that you will need very often unless you are a professional knife sharpener.

If you never hone and only use a 1000-grit waterstone to maintain your knife's edge you won't be hurting anything; that said, honing is much faster than sharpening on a waterstone.

If your knife is made of softer, German-style steel (Victorinox/Forschner, Henckels, Wusthof, etc.) then there is probably no reason to buy a stone with a grit much above 1000 - the steel is too soft to benefit from the polishing that very high grit stones provide.

Online knife-nut personality "Boar-D-Laze" has much to say about knives, steels, and sharpening at his website: http://www.cookfoodgood.com

Ghetto Blaster, it might be worth looking into authentic Thiers-Issard Sabatier knives. The Sabatier name isn't protected, so you can make terrible stamped knives in China and call them Sabatiers without fear of legal repirsal. But some of the original Sabatier firms still exist, and still make impressive knives. K-Sabatier (http://www.sabatier-shop.com/couteau-cuisine.php) is one of them. K-Sabatier knives are superb traditional French chef's knives, especially in carbon steel, and most of them are inexpensive.

Gilgameshback fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 22, 2012

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Steve Yun posted:

Fizz Giz arrived. $30 to carbonate whatever you want. Runs on standard co2 bulbs. It works! Sort of. Some things carbonate better than others.

Juice: carbonates, but not as much as cola you'd get from the store.

Soy milk: carbonates a little too well, explodes out of the bottle as a creamy foam, kind of tastes like melted ice cream.

edit: okay, so reading some more, it looks like some liquids take longer to absorb co2 than others. It says some might need to sit for a few hours to fully absorb the carbonation. Shaking speeds it up

Also, the brochure shows an adapter kit that lets you use standard large co2 bottles for $40

Cold. Cold cold cold cold cold. You should be aiming for a liquid temp just above freezing; 34-36F works well for things like juice. The warmer the liquid is the less CO2 it'll absorb and the more likely it will foam out of the bottle and make a sticky mess. I've operated a bottle filler and the difference 5 degrees makes is noticeable.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Looking to get one of those side scraping attachments for my KitchenAid. Is "Beater Blade" the brand I want to go with? http://www.amazon.com/Design-Beater-KitchenAid-6-Quart-5-Plus/dp/B0015TMI28/ (If so, that's the right model.)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

geetee posted:

Looking to get one of those side scraping attachments for my KitchenAid. Is "Beater Blade" the brand I want to go with? http://www.amazon.com/Design-Beater-KitchenAid-6-Quart-5-Plus/dp/B0015TMI28/ (If so, that's the right model.)

That's the brand I have and it rules.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

That's the brand I have and it rules.

Great, thank you!

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

geetee posted:

Just used ours last night for the first time, making chocolate chip cookies. Worked great.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I wanted to start pretending to eat healthy so was planning on buying a blender to liquefy a bunch of fruits and veg. The masticating juicer in the OP looked interesting but aren't a lot of the healthy doodads in the pulp?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Decrepus posted:

I wanted to start pretending to eat healthy so was planning on buying a blender to liquefy a bunch of fruits and veg. The masticating juicer in the OP looked interesting but aren't a lot of the healthy doodads in the pulp?

My mom has the 8005 and the one time I tried it the "juice" was pulpy as gently caress. It must have been a coarse screen or something. I couldn't handing "drinking" a "juice" the consistency of apple sauce; it certainly didn't lack pulp.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Decrepus posted:

Most of the nutrition is actually in the juice.

Blending leaves in the fiber which is also good for you and will fill you up more.

Juice allows faster absorption of nutrients and leaves room in your stomach for other foods.

Going either way is fine, they just have different effects on your diet.

A blender will be more multi-purpose though. You can make soups, margaritas, etc.

The op is a little out of date. Breville recently came out with some pretty awesome blenders from $130-200, the Hemisphere series, which are pretty powerful while having nice features such as automatic shutoff to prevent overheating (a feature only the Vitamixes had before)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 23, 2012

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Thanks for the info, I ended up going with the masticator. The vertical one looks pretty sweet too but was $400 which is out of my price range.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Good or bad?

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-HGT-11-Folding-Mandoline/dp/B001F5RSEK/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have that and for $20 it works just fine

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Steve Yun posted:

I have that and for $20 it works just fine

I have that one as well and it works just fine. I wish there was a slightly thicker cutting plate sometimes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

C'mon man, I know you appreciate the finer things in life.

http://www.amazon.com/Shun-Pro-Mandoline-Food-Slicer/dp/B00144L47E/

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I have one of these and it works wonders. Just make sure you get the one with the removable blade, otherwise you can't sharpen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Benriner is the correct choice.

• Locked thread