Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Turtlicious posted:

Alright, so I'm going to try Jsawyer with PNV and AWOP. Is there anything else you'd recommend? Are their any mods you'd avoid?

AWOP is supposedly a bloated, lovely mess at this point. DarnUI and CASM are absolutely essential, as is NVSE, the FNV4GB patch and (probably) MCM, but I'd also look into either WMX or WME, a weather mod like Nevada Skies or Project Reality, and if you have a moderate to good computer, ALL the texture and mesh packs listed in the OP. Use FOMM to organise them, Wrye Flash to make a bashed patch and FNVEdit to make a merged patch. I'd consider this a "bare bones" install. There are links to everything in the OP. Always read the instructions for a mod carefully or you're guaranteed a major headache.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Raygereio posted:

No. You don't just need to copy-paste whole records, you'll also need to some editting and TESSnip doesn't allow you to do as far as I know.
For example JSawyer mod changes the metal armour's agility penatly to a penalty to sneak. It added a new base effect to do this.
If you just copy the metal armor's object effect, its entry will try to refer back to Jsawyer mod for the sneak-penalty base effect. So what you need to do is copy the base effect to your new mod. Then change object effect's entry to refer to your new base effect and then copy it over.

I may be making this sound more complex or difficult then it is. It really is simple, if a bit tedious and time comsuming.

Oh, I think we've misunderstood each other. I know you wouldn't be able to do everything in TESSnip, but wouldn't you still need to scrub the new mod of dependencies on missing masters, even if you copied JSawyer.esp data over to a new mod? Or is that not the case?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh, I think we've misunderstood each other. I know you wouldn't be able to do everything in TESSnip, but wouldn't you still need to scrub the new mod of dependencies on missing masters, even if you copied JSawyer.esp data over to a new mod? Or is that not the case?

You can remove the missing masters in TESSnip, then use FNVEdit to get rid of all the entries that reference them. That's what I did since I don't have the pre-order pack, although admittedly those references are just placed weapons IIRC. It'd probably be more difficult with the major DLCs.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Turtlicious posted:

Alright, so I'm going to try Jsawyer with PNV and AWOP. Is there anything else you'd recommend? Are their any mods you'd avoid?

I'd avoid AWOP because it made a lot of areas a tedious slog.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SplitSoul posted:

You can remove the missing masters in TESSnip, then use FNVEdit to get rid of all the entries that reference them. That's what I did since I don't have the pre-order pack, although admittedly those references are just placed weapons IIRC. It'd probably be more difficult with the major DLCs.

Yeah, that's what I figured. So I'm not crazy, then!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

No. You go over each entry individually and only copy those that you want to keep. See an entry that tries to touch DLC you don't own? Don't copy it.

SplitSoul's method sounds simpler and faster then mine though. I didn't even know TESSnip could do that.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 18, 2012

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, the automatic merged patches can lead to bugs. When i get settled into a mod suite, and I end up tweaking the merged patch a lot.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Raygereio posted:

SplitSoul's method sounds simpler and faster then mine though. I didn't even know TESSnip could do that.

That's the way I've always done it, and the only thing I've ever used TESSnip for (removing master dependencies, predominately to port FO3 materials over to NV.) Does TESSnip do anything else? Nobody knows. It's a mystery.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Arenovalis, do you think you could make a 12 gauge lever action shotgun some time? Or a coach gun with hammers?

I need more shotguns in my life :shobon:

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Okay, maybe a dumb question, and I don't know whether to ask it in here or in the main game thread, but for some reason my Tab button won't work unless I press it together with shift (which brings up the Steam interface overlay as well as my Pip-Boy). Any ideas what might be causing this? This is my first time trying to play the game since I upgraded to Windows 8 and I don't have any mods installed other than jsawyer.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SplitSoul posted:

AWOP is supposedly a bloated, lovely mess at this point. DarnUI and CASM are absolutely essential, as is NVSE, the FNV4GB patch and (probably) MCM, but I'd also look into either WMX or WME, a weather mod like Nevada Skies or Project Reality, and if you have a moderate to good computer, ALL the texture and mesh packs listed in the OP. Use FOMM to organise them, Wrye Flash to make a bashed patch and FNVEdit to make a merged patch. I'd consider this a "bare bones" install. There are links to everything in the OP. Always read the instructions for a mod carefully or you're guaranteed a major headache.

Ok, can do, and does anyone know how to get MO to work with FNV?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Okay, maybe a dumb question, and I don't know whether to ask it in here or in the main game thread, but for some reason my Tab button won't work unless I press it together with shift (which brings up the Steam interface overlay as well as my Pip-Boy). Any ideas what might be causing this? This is my first time trying to play the game since I upgraded to Windows 8 and I don't have any mods installed other than jsawyer.

I'm going to blame Windows 8. It already does funky, janky poo poo to the Fnv4GB.exe and it wouldn't surprise me if this was more of the same.

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

I'd recommend DFB - Random Encounters over AWOP. It's awesome and highly customisable.

Turtlicious posted:

Ok, can do, and does anyone know how to get MO to work with FNV?

It works with FNV out of the box. The only exception (that I know of) is uHud. For that and its dependent mods you'll need to use NMM or FOMM. But then you can just copy the resultant unified interface files into a new mod in MO, and still use it to manage everything.

I kind of want to do a Gopher style tutorial series on getting everything set up in MO, because I really think it's the poo poo and worth it. But I'm terrible at explaining things and would probably have to write a script for myself. :saddowns:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fentan posted:

I'd recommend DFB - Random Encounters over AWOP. It's awesome and highly customisable.

It works with FNV out of the box. The only exception (that I know of) is uHud. For that and its dependent mods you'll need to use NMM or FOMM. But then you can just copy the resultant unified interface files into a new mod in MO, and still use it to manage everything.

I kind of want to do a Gopher style tutorial series on getting everything set up in MO, because I really think it's the poo poo and worth it. But I'm terrible at explaining things and would probably have to write a script for myself. :saddowns:

I swear to god I'm not retarded.

But...

Everytime I load up MO it just defaults too the Skyrim Data directory, how do I point it at New Vegas?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

SpookyLizard posted:

I'm going to blame Windows 8. It already does funky, janky poo poo to the Fnv4GB.exe and it wouldn't surprise me if this was more of the same.

That's annoying, but I haven't heard of the problem being shared by anyone else.

I'm going to give Fallout 3 a launch to see if the same thing occurs, though.

edit: It doesn't, so... I guess it's not a bug with the engine on Win8? I have no idea.

I don't wanna give the game a fresh install over one button not working for some reason, but argh.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 18, 2012

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I swear to god I'm not retarded.

But...

Everytime I load up MO it just defaults too the Skyrim Data directory, how do I point it at New Vegas?

Oh okay, yeah this confused me at first too. MO doesn't work like NMM... rather than having one installation of MO that you can switch between games with, you need to have a separate installation of MO for every game you're managing. So I have one instance of ModOrganiser.exe in C:\ModOrganizer\Skyrim and one in C:\ModOrganizer\New Vegas.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I don't wanna give the game a fresh install over one button not working for some reason, but argh.

Maybe you could use autohotkey to make the game think tab=shift+tab? :shrug: I'm not sure how smoothly that would work in practice, though.

e: Like this, maybe? Also you'd obviously have to change the hotkey in steam that makes the overlay come up.

quote:

#IfWinActive, Fallout: New Vegas
tab:: Send, +{tab}

fentan fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 18, 2012

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Swartz posted:

Sell me on Lonesome Road. Why should I get it? As for GRA, you mentioned the reason I didn't get it: weapon mods, which are free.

I'll see if I can mod it with FNVEdit (thanks for the suggestion), but unfortunately Nexus isn't letting me download it right now (just brings up a blank page when the download should begin).

As it's been said, it concludes the courier's story and offers some really interesting choices. I mainly like it because the Divide is probably one of the most unique environments in the game. I absolutely love it's design. It reminds me a bit of the city sections of RAGE, except with a good story.

cndblank
Nov 6, 2012
Lonesome Road was very good.

Improbable Lobster posted:

As it's been said, it concludes the courier's story and offers some really interesting choices. I mainly like it because the Divide is probably one of the most unique environments in the game. I absolutely love it's design. It reminds me a bit of the city sections of RAGE, except with a good story.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

fentan posted:

Maybe you could use autohotkey to make the game think tab=shift+tab? :shrug: I'm not sure how smoothly that would work in practice, though.

e: Like this, maybe? Also you'd obviously have to change the hotkey in steam that makes the overlay come up.

Oy, well, it seems a clean install actually didn't work so I'm a bit at a loss at the moment. I might give this a shot as a workaround unless someone manages to figure out exactly what's going on. Or I might just set Caps Lock to be the Pip Boy key as that seems to work fine.

edit: Okay, figured out some other program was causing this and oddly enough only effecting New Vegas. Oh well!

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 18, 2012

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

SpookyLizard posted:

Are they in the right format? IIRC, NV Radio Extender won't cause any crashes, but if the songs aren't organized right/formatted right they won't play.

It looks like they're .mp3 and .ogg. Is that not proper?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Ariong posted:

It looks like they're .mp3 and .ogg. Is that not proper?

I have no idea, although I know the .mp3's need to be encoded in a certain bit rate. Honestly, I haven't done it in a while, I just do remember reading that it could be finnicky. Maybe start over from scratch and try again?

Beaumont
Dec 12, 2011
I'm planning a new playthrough, and I'm trying to figure out which balance mod plays best with JSawyer. I tried juggling Project Nevada's Rebalance, CCO and JSawyer, which ended up feeling pretty janky - there were a lot of bugs with carry weight and so on. I'm planning on pairing CCO and Tom Sawyer, so am I right in thinking compatibility problems will be minimal?

The only problem is that I'm looking to make the ingame economy totally unfair, because I love being a money-grubbing mercenary. Project Nevada had the option to massively reduce loot spawn, which helps. I tried the XFO economy mods, but they didn't seem anywhere near as noticeable (probably due to conflicts).

So, what economy mods can you guys recommend? I am trying XFO's rarity mods and BarterTown Rough. I read about the potential slowdown on mods that reduce placed items, which is a shame. I also recommend Project Nevada's alternative repair option - it makes it a lot harder to grab 10 service rifles and turn them into one expensive mint condition rifle to sell on.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I figured out the problem. I forgot to merge some folders.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Beaumont posted:

I'm planning a new playthrough, and I'm trying to figure out which balance mod plays best with JSawyer. I tried juggling Project Nevada's Rebalance, CCO and JSawyer, which ended up feeling pretty janky

So, what economy mods can you guys recommend?

Puce Moose Tweaks and balance: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/35015

jsawyer + CCO + bits of PMT + PN sans Rebalance is what I'm playing and it feels fantastic. CCO handles jsawyer/PN compatibility very nicely. I didn't even try to add PN's Rebalance to that mix.

PMT's Reduced Ammo and Chems is a must-have.

CCO puts a heavy emphasis on Barter - a skill of 100 will still give you a price of 2x base cost and it's 3x at skill 0. If you're running this with a mod that removes/reduces loot, say PMT Reduced World Items, you won't bust the economy easily.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Beaumont posted:

So, what economy mods can you guys recommend? I am trying XFO's rarity mods and BarterTown Rough. I read about the potential slowdown on mods that reduce placed items, which is a shame. I also recommend Project Nevada's alternative repair option - it makes it a lot harder to grab 10 service rifles and turn them into one expensive mint condition rifle to sell on.

I had written almost exactly what v1ld posted, but I will say this regarding the hand placed loot plugin: Just use it. I've used it on multiple computers, including laptops, without observing any significant slowdown. Unless you're seriously afraid it's going to murder your computer and then you'll have to buy a new one, you should at least try it out for yourself before concluding it won't work.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

Anyway, Thanksgiving weekend is coming up, so I'll see if I can't whip up some merged patches then.

If you get a chance, would you see if Follower Tweaks breaks Arcade Gannon's sign-up dialog? It could also be NV Uncut - Freeside Open (fantastic mod!) or interaction between the two.

I'd finished all of the Follower of the Apocalypse quests, got the safehouse key, and was Idolized by them but Vilified by the Legion. Yet Arcade would snot offer me any dialog option that'd allow me to get him to follow.

- If I go through the non-Speech recruitment path, I get to where the final "Come with me" line should be, but it's not there. I can, however, ask him his opinion on things and inquire about his background.

- If I get Speech to 75, he says: cool, but let me tell you what I think of Caesar and why I won't consort with anyone who consorts with him. My reply to that is lacking the "no problems with hating the hateful" option - the only line offered is the "well, that's not good, sit here and rot then" line.

I tested that it's not follower count by enlisting Boone into the free slot to verify that it's being counted correctly.

I can't disable Freeside Open, it really wants to be used for a whole run, but I tried disabling Follower Tweaks and associated mods and it then lets me recruit Arcade through the usual dialog. (I re-enabled FT after this and continued - it rocks that CCO allows for that!)

I looked at the mods involved in FNVEdit, but I don't know the dialog system and don't know how best to debug this. LMK if you'd like me to check something, though.

(I've just hit level 16 and taken Magnetic Personality over all the myriad cool Perks avail and it's great fun to run with 3 companions! So much so that I'm now planning a Charisma 10/Intelligence 10/gimped elsewhere "Oh when the Courier and his Cats come marching in" run.)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I had written almost exactly what v1ld posted, but I will say this regarding the hand placed loot plugin: Just use it. I've used it on multiple computers, including laptops, without observing any significant slowdown. Unless you're seriously afraid it's going to murder your computer and then you'll have to buy a new one, you should at least try it out for yourself before concluding it won't work.

I'm the one who complained about the slowdown and I miss that mod a lot. It's very likely the slowdown is caused by bumping up object fade distance or other fuckage on my end - and I've since bumped uGridsToLoad or whatever it is that loads more world in, so that's unlikely to get better. I'm hoping that Cirosan sees another way to do the same thing.

I'd love to try your further reduction tweaks, too: any chance you could release it as a patch mod?

Someone else mentioned (other thread) hearing about problems with Puce Moose's mods - if so, it's a bug not a general trend. Puce Moose's mods are just fantastic and form a trinity with rope kid's and CCO. :colbert:

I'm coming back to FNV, my favorite game, after an extended period with Dark Souls, my favorite game, and Demons Souls, my favorite game. I'm happy to say that with these mods, FNV is still my favorite game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

v1ld posted:

Someone else mentioned (other thread) hearing about problems with Puce Moose's mods - if so, it's a bug not a general trend. Puce Moose's mods are just fantastic and form a trinity with rope kid's and CCO. :colbert:
Maybe you're thinking about something in the other thread, but in this thread a few posts above yours I mentioned issues with Puce Moose's Right to Bear Arms mod and Davoren mentioned that Puce Moose's mods might have some sprawl issues, and I think I'm inclined to agree. They're amazing mods, but they don't necessarily play well with others. I seem to recall seeing Puce Moose answer some question about compatibility with some other mod with a response along the lines of "I don't play with that mod so I don't know how it will work" and I get the impression he just makes things work perfectly if you run his mod and if you run others then it's a crapshoot as to whether you'll run into issues. Which you likely will if you use Right to Bear Arms + a merged patch with certain other mods I believe.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Maybe you're thinking about something in the other thread, but in this thread a few posts above yours I mentioned issues with Puce Moose's Right to Bear Arms mod and Davoren mentioned that Puce Moose's mods might have some sprawl issues, and I think I'm inclined to agree. They're amazing mods, but they don't necessarily play well with others. I seem to recall seeing Puce Moose answer some question about compatibility with some other mod with a response along the lines of "I don't play with that mod so I don't know how it will work" and I get the impression he just makes things work perfectly if you run his mod and if you run others then it's a crapshoot as to whether you'll run into issues. Which you likely will if you use Right to Bear Arms + a merged patch with certain other mods I believe.

The problem with his GRA mod is that it changes a few box tics from (paraphrasing) "Calculate for every item in list" to "Use all items". Then, when you create a merged patch that includes his GRA mod, FNVEdit sees this change and runs with it, applying it to other mods that have edited those same leveled lists. So you end up with NPCs carrying 4 changes of clothes and 14 weapons.

What I did was open up his GRA mod in FNVEdit, find where he made the "Use all" changes, and rolled them back to their original settings. No more NPCs carrying tons of guns and armor.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The problem with his GRA mod is that it changes a few box tics from (paraphrasing) "Calculate for every item in list" to "Use all items". Then, when you create a merged patch that includes his GRA mod, FNVEdit sees this change and runs with it, applying it to other mods that have edited those same leveled lists. So you end up with NPCs carrying 4 changes of clothes and 14 weapons.

What I did was open up his GRA mod in FNVEdit, find where he made the "Use all" changes, and rolled them back to their original settings. No more NPCs carrying tons of guns and armor.
That's exactly what I did too. I'm slightly fuzzy on why he changed it in the first place but whatever, things seem to have worked out.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

v1ld posted:

If you get a chance, would you see if Follower Tweaks breaks Arcade Gannon's sign-up dialog?
Opening up FNVEdit I can tell you that it's more than likely my fault. I could've sworn I stamped out a very similar bug ages ago, but maybe something slipped through the cracks.

I'm always somewhat ashamed when a bug like this rears its ugly head. I should have corrected bugs like this a long time ago, but for the few people that do use CCO it takes a long time for something like this to be noticed, let alone reported to me. Frankly, very few people use CCO - as far as I can tell, it's mostly people in this thread and the odd Nexus user. On its own this means nothing, but because CCO has such a small audience, it gets nowhere near the amount of bug reports that a larger mod has the benefit of.

Mea culpa, in either case.

Cirosan fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 18, 2012

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Is the bug where companion weapons randomly disappear also caused by CCO?

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/45511

I found that while looking around for any NV multiplayer poo poo. Is it any good? Are there better mutliplayer mods? Basically me and a buddy want to blow up super mutants together, so if anyone has a lenthy post full of info for me I'd really appreciate it.

cndblank
Nov 6, 2012
AWOP is a lot of fun. And very very large (114 intense locations).

Because of that, I'd recommend taking a play through and just doing all the AWOP locations.

He has lowered the loot levels and tighten up a lot of stuff.

I've had good luck with Project Nevada and World of Pain.

Especially if you add Hairylegs222's Extra AWOP Fixes patch (sorts out error messages that would appear when loading AWOP in FNVEdit and provides optional support for AWOP with all DLCs. All Doctors Fixed.).

fentan posted:

Beaumont
Dec 12, 2011

quote:

VaultMP is supposed to be much more like a framework. It aims for extensibility and scalability. The goal is to provide the tools necessary to create engaging online environments in the Fallout games. It does not impose any limits on what you can do with it (i.e. maximum player count), neither does it has any bias towards any kind of multiplayer game. VaultMP is not a co-op mod, a MMO, or anything else of the like.

Goddamn, why do they never just devote their efforts towards actually creating co-op Fallout? People would actually play it, and you'd maybe even get yourself some industry recognition for it. Or a Cease and Desist. Either way.

It just bums me out. It's FOnline all over again.

Edit: That said, do let us know if you do get it working. I am curious as hell to see how it works.

Beaumont fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 19, 2012

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Maybe you're thinking about something in the other thread, but in this thread a few posts above yours I mentioned issues with Puce Moose's Right to Bear Arms mod and Davoren mentioned that Puce Moose's mods might have some sprawl issues, and I think I'm inclined to agree. They're amazing mods, but they don't necessarily play well with others.

Fair enough. I just encountered some Freeside thugs with a ridiculous number of melee weapons on them, which is what you were discussing.

I like how - like CCO and to some extent PN - his tweak and balance ceneter is offered as an a la carte menu - but that's more about giving you control over what you wish to use than how they play with others.

But Right to Bear Arms doesn't give you the option of not hiding the GRA uniques - though I prefer how he's handled it, as he writes well enough to make those notes fun. It's no Electro-City, though, whose conceit in shiny engineers and shiny toolboxes sticks out like a sore thumb (but which I was forced back to using after Simple Street Lights turned out not to like Freeside Open).

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This is happening with a Bashed Patch, too, for the same reason you cite: the Use All flag is being copied into the Bashed Patch even without any tags on the mod.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Thanks for the recipe, applied. This is only in the Leveled Lists, right?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

v1ld posted:

Thanks for the recipe, applied. This is only in the Leveled Lists, right?

Yeah, I believe so.

cndblank
Nov 6, 2012

Cirosan posted:

Anyway, Thanksgiving weekend is coming up, so I'll see if I can't whip up some merged patches then.

Yet one more thing to be thankful for.

Thanks!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/46302

Anybody have any experience with this? Just an .ini supposedly tweaked to take advantage of quadcore systems and other high performance stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/46302

Anybody have any experience with this? Just an .ini supposedly tweaked to take advantage of quadcore systems and other high performance stuff.

I think it's bunk. If the game wasn't written to take advantage of Multi-core CPUs, DirectX 10 and 11, and other hardware, some tweaks in the .ini aren't going to do anything. A lot of those "performance tweaks" don't actually help, but confirmation bias makes people think they're netting a frame or two more.