Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Out of curiosity what was your job supposed to be if on the plane you were asleep? You went on the plane as an engineer right in case things went wrong but what happens if things go wrong if your asleep? :ohdear:
Well, for the bulk of my illustrious career as a USAF officer, I did nothing. As a Flight Test Engineer, I mostly did nothing interspersed with rare periods of almost nothing.

The pilots; however, had to do touch-and-goes for proficiency. For me, to earn hazardous duty pay, I had to fly a certain number of hours per month. As a 2LT, that extra pay helped a lot. Also, it was perfectly fine for me to include myself in any flights I wanted to. I flew in C-130's, C-135's, C-141's, and T-39.

Because I felt that wasting tax-payer money doing nothing was wrong, I did leave the test wing as a 1LT to go get my MSEE. It was better than nothing.

As a point of reference, I worked on the incipient J-Stars project. I didn't really do anything. I worked for a Major who was mostly building an empire, and then the project moved from WPAFB to Eglin. I stayed in Ohio.

In an emergency, I would've died alone with everyone else, probably. Of course, I had all the egress training, etc. Oh, a Flight Test Engineer isn't there to help in emergencies. We were supposed to test electronic warfare equipment.

I did actually fly on one real-life B2B backend radar test. I didn't do anything though. I just tagged along. I don't recall if I slept or not. We did fly over Mount Rushmore at 500 ft. That was pretty cool. That's the only thing I remember. That, and we landed at Ellsworth AFB for lunch. While walking from the C-141 to the cafeteria, I almost crossed the "red-line" around a fully loaded B-52 and would've been "jacked up". That would've been memorable, but I'm glad it didn't happen.

Honestly, in a big airplane like that, there is little you can do if it goes down. If you have a parachute (which, mostly, they don't), I suppose you could jump out and survive. In egress training, they showed us how to do this from within a C-135. It's crazy stupid, and I don't believe anyone has actually ever survived the attempt.

No one ever even talked about parachutes. If we went down, we all knew we'd be going down with the plane. I was not trained to handle any in-flight emergency other than escaping once we crash landed.

I was assigned to this test wing, but three years after this event occurred. From then on, they never let moms and dads fly together. Sadly, this crash created orphans.

Honestly, I'm not up-to-date on the latest technologies, so I don't know if things have changed all that much since I was in the USAF. Then, in all these things (aircraft and space launches), I don't think people realized how little could be done in an actual emergency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Mutta's dad still has the best shirts. Kind of want a gif of Dad doing the fist pump.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

This loving show. So many tears of laughter.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

PAJAMA

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I keep wondering why their father wears clothing with English words on them. Is Crunchyroll doing a translation job on the clothing for us or is he really wearing clothing that spells stuff in English?

Also, each word seems appropriate for the occassion. PERFECT for the perfect lunch. I'm not sure, but I think I recall PRETTY? That didn't really fit.

I love it how the parents are nearly polar opposites. He hardly speaks and she hardly shuts up. Maybe the words on his clothing are the only type of communication he can come up with?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Dan7el posted:

I keep wondering why their father wears clothing with English words on them. Is Crunchyroll doing a translation job on the clothing for us or is he really wearing clothing that spells stuff in English?

There is no way that Crunchyroll would actually alter video just to make a shirt readable in English. They would have just subtitled it in like Hibito's stand in shirt.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Dan7el posted:

Also, each word seems appropriate for the occassion. PERFECT for the perfect lunch. I'm not sure, but I think I recall PRETTY? That didn't really fit.

I love it how the parents are nearly polar opposites. He hardly speaks and she hardly shuts up. Maybe the words on his clothing are the only type of communication he can come up with?
He does impressions of (I'm guessing) Japanese celebrities earlier in the series. I think the 'PRETTY?' thing was for when they met Serika for the first time, perhaps.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I just love how Hibito and his astronaut buddies are such bros. When most anime have Japan as the center of the world, it's great to have a show that flaunts the power of international cooperation and friendship.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I thought Mutta's dad having such literal shirts was a joke on the lines simliar to when Mutta gave Hibito's standin random uncool japanese words to put on his shirts.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Damnit. We still don't know who was selected to be an astronaut this week. Next week for sure, I hope. It was a pretty good episode, though.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Unless they want to reuse the same cliffhanger they used this episode and stop with Mutta picking up the phone (after they went through the rest of the cast during the episode)

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Come on, Anime, stop pulling things like that <:mad:>

Am I the only one who thought it was weird that these people trusted their technology enough to take them all the way to the Moon, but once there they weren't sure if they could trust their environmental readers?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Rexides posted:

Come on, Anime, stop pulling things like that <:mad:>

Am I the only one who thought it was weird that these people trusted their technology enough to take them all the way to the Moon, but once there they weren't sure if they could trust their environmental readers?
It was a setup so we could see Hibito act like Hibito. That was the the entire purpose of the scene, and it was stupid.

There better be aliens....

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Dan7el posted:

It was a setup so we could see Hibito act like Hibito. That was the the entire purpose of the scene, and it was stupid.

Yeah, I think that scene was probably the worst scene we have seen in the show thus far. All the other astronauts were just incredibly out of character.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Yeah, I agree. That rubbed me the wrong way. Astronauts would not act like that. Maybe they'd have an errant thought when they pull the helmet off but it wouldn't be vocalized like that. That's the sort of thing that would happen when they start making commercial flights to the moon, not to highly trained professionals.

ashez2ashes fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 27, 2012

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
The scene felt so horribly overdone. It would have worked better with just a slight pause and everyone freezing for a couple of seconds after checking their readings, just for hibito to walk round the corner all "hey guys"

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Popehoist posted:

The scene felt so horribly overdone. It would have worked better with just a slight pause and everyone freezing for a couple of seconds after checking their readings, just for hibito to walk round the corner all "hey guys"
Better if Hibito was naked with just a DVD covering...never mind... That's been done. Your suggestion would've been perfect. I thought the way they got in the space suits was cool. Keeps the sand out.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Dan7el posted:

Better if Hibito was naked with just a DVD covering...never mind... That's been done. Your suggestion would've been perfect. I thought the way they got in the space suits was cool. Keeps the sand out.

That's an actual NASA design.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Anta posted:

That's an actual NASA design.

I get the feeling that a lot of the stuff we're seeing on this show either comes from are are inspired by NASA designs. They just look so realistic, like if we were to establish a moon lab in the next decade or so, this is the stuff we'd use and this is how we'd do it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Popehoist posted:

"I'm the captain, they are looking to me to lead! Oh god what if I die!!!!"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Well, just saw the latest episode.

Pretty much once you saw how depressing Kenji's real job is, he had to pass, but it was tense for a while. Also, sweet to see his backstory, which I don't think we've seen much of before.

I really hope they aren't drawing the results out into three whole episodes, though.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Mr. Fowl posted:

I really hope they aren't drawing the results out into three whole episodes, though.

I have no doubt they are. calling it now. Serika next episode, and she passes, and so we're led to believe Mutta failed. However, he gets the call and it turns out THREE people are moving on. WHAAAAAAAT?.

That said, I love the show even when it does episodes like this because it makes me root for the smaller character roles all the much more and really deepens them out.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Black Stones posted:

I have no doubt they are. calling it now. Serika next episode, and she passes, and so we're led to believe Mutta failed. However, he gets the call and it turns out THREE people are moving on. WHAAAAAAAT?.

That said, I love the show even when it does episodes like this because it makes me root for the smaller character roles all the much more and really deepens them out.

Hah, now you've done it. Next week is Serika. Two weeks from now we're just getting a series of vignettes about all the other candidates. We're not even going to get a hint about Mutta until the week after that.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

There were eight candidates. At one week per candidate, starting with this week, we won't see Mutta's results for another seven weeks. That's my bet. We'll get full episodic back stories on each character -- whether they pass or not. We may even revisit some of the old characters from before -- check up on the monkey guy, the old guy, etc. Who knows? We could possibly drag it out until Spring?

Again, we won't know if he passed or not until they slide it in sideways with "Well, we're all going to go to start training now," and Mutta just shows up along side the rest, or something like that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Oh god! Not another endless eight :ohdear:

Did they ever establish how many of the remaining eight are allowed to pass? I agree that last scene was intense.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure they originally said that had three spots available which is why it was always going to be Kenji, Serika and Mutta.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just want to know if Mutta made it dammit :arghfist:

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Mutta doesn't make the cut and the rest of the series is about Mutta playing Starcraft 2.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Vincent Valentine posted:

Mutta doesn't make the cut and the rest of the series is about Mutta playing Starcraft 2.
Oddly I would actually watch this anime.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I would watch that if he was playing Kerbal Space Program instead.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rexides posted:

Or Moonbase Alpha. NASA approved space prep! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rexides posted:

No, he makes his own space program in his backyard. Last episode he has the chimp guy weld him into a trash can and he blasts off for the moon.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

PaganGoatPants posted:

Or Moonbase Alpha. NASA approved space prep! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo

JOHN MADDEN

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Toddler Status: Still Adorable.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Man, even the show itself is admitting this poo poo is getting dragged out.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I just learned on this past Monday that a co-worker of mine has ALS. This episdoe with Serika's father made me really sad.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Are they really going to go into that one dude's backstory? I don't even know his name or give a gently caress.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

PaganGoatPants posted:

Are they really going to go into that one dude's backstory? I don't even know his name or give a gently caress.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've seen villains more likeable than him.

Whooping Toff
Oct 21, 2010

*ahem*

I do beg your pardon.
Do we know how many more episodes there are to go? Can't seem to find anything saying how many episodes there are.

I only watch shows after they are done so i can marathon them :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Another 15-20~ episodes / weeks.

• Locked thread