Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah well, at least this stops me from wasting my time with the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Turtlicious posted:

Got you, I see what you mean yeah, the first few were done for a roleplaying site so I can see how that would be a problem, would Screenshots solve the problem or would it still be a bit too much Roleplay, not enough Let's play?

I don't want to be a jerk, but I can tell you I'm not interested in this at all and think it's pretty badly done. Just slapping screenshots onto what you've got would not produce a good product. Just because characters like Raiders in Fallout probably talk like this doesn't mean it's interesting to read, and it's just jarring when you say it's supposed to be someone from the Brotherhood.

Basically, your core deal here doesn't even make sense if I step back and take it as just roleplay stuff, and that only gets worse when I consider it against some in-character LPs I've seen here.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
Thanks to everyone for the input, I've decided to run and complete the old playthrough alongside the glitchthrough. Thread can be found here

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

I wonder if I may have posted this a bit too inobtrusively and no one looked at it. Or maybe it is just neither bad nor good enough that anyone wanted to comment. But I'd specifically like to know if the screenshots look okay, and also if it seems like I'm asking for way too much input from the thread at the end. I am a bit worried that by offering so many different things to vote on, I won't get a sufficient amount of input for any one thing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

psluuthor posted:

I wonder if I may have posted this a bit too inobtrusively and no one looked at it. Or maybe it is just neither bad nor good enough that anyone wanted to comment. But I'd specifically like to know if the screenshots look okay, and also if it seems like I'm asking for way too much input from the thread at the end. I am a bit worried that by offering so many different things to vote on, I won't get a sufficient amount of input for any one thing.

I never played UFO Defense, so I don't know whether you're doing a good or bad job of showing off the game, but the screenshots and writing look fine.

I don't know what the hell is going on at the start of your post (what are all of these things that you can buy I don't even...) but then you get into some combat and that's pretty straightforward to follow I guess. Are there any animations that you want to show off or are screenshots already optimal for the combat sequences?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 19, 2012

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I never played UFO Defense, so I don't know whether you're doing a good or bad job of showing off the game, but the screenshots and writing look fine.

I don't know what the hell is going on at the start of your post (what are all of these things that you can buy I don't even...) but then you get into some combat and that's pretty straightforward to follow I guess. Are there any animations that you want to show off or are screenshots already optimal for the combat sequences?

Yeah, it didn't seem like a good idea to get bogged down right away with the various optional equipment you can buy and the functions of all the buildings you can construct. But maybe I should at the very least give some more general explanations of what is happening and what we are trying to do in the game. I think I will try to re-edit from the perspective of someone who has never played the game before.

I don't think that animations would add a lot since it is mainly just colored blobs flying across the screen, but I could show off the death animations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sentrygun posted:

I don't want to be a jerk, but I can tell you I'm not interested in this at all and think it's pretty badly done. Just slapping screenshots onto what you've got would not produce a good product. Just because characters like Raiders in Fallout probably talk like this doesn't mean it's interesting to read, and it's just jarring when you say it's supposed to be someone from the Brotherhood.

Basically, your core deal here doesn't even make sense if I step back and take it as just roleplay stuff, and that only gets worse when I consider it against some in-character LPs I've seen here.

No I'd much rather have people be honest with me, and I know I'm not really "there" yet, then to post it and have a bunch of goons say it's poo poo without constructive criticism. Basically, it's the criticism I was looking for.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

psluuthor posted:

Only just got home. This looks pretty cool, and actually feels like kind of a tutorial for playing this game. Thing is, the game looks awesome, and I own it on Steam, so there are only two things that stop me playing it - I'm not quite sure how to get Open X-Com working properly with the files downloaded from Steam in my particular Linux distro, and the first X-Com has possibly the worst UI ever designed.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

No I'd much rather have people be honest with me, and I know I'm not really "there" yet, then to post it and have a bunch of goons say it's poo poo without constructive criticism. Basically, it's the criticism I was looking for.

It's less that you're not "there" and more that your chosen format more resembles something that would go on a weird in-character Tumblr than a Let's Play.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's less that you're not "there" and more that your chosen format more resembles something that would go on a weird in-character Tumblr than a Let's Play.

Yeah... Like I said, I had a personal journal I used when I played Bethesda Games, and they were cluttering up my Hard Drive, I started a new playthrough of New Vegas, and wondered if anyone would want to read them. The general consensus was "No, no we don't want to read your lovely Roleplays." To be fair, that was the reaction I expected.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
X-COM has it Easy: Let's Play UFO: Alien Invasion!

The Year is 2084. After years of relative peace in the wake of the Second Cold War, the world is slowly rebuilding.

03 March. Mumbai.

They came from nowhere. 6 ships of alien design, undetected by the radars around the city, land and disgorge troops into the city. The Commonwealth of Oceania rallies in response, but the result is devastating. Within 12 hours, over 20,000 civilians and three battalions of troops in the city are slaughtered.

Without warning, they retreat back to their craft and leave the atmosphere.

Over the next fourteen days, Bonn, Johannesburg and Bangkok are all attacked in a similar manner, and all attempts at defence are repulsed.

On the 23rd of March, in a fit of desperation, the United Nations reactivates an old American project designed to handle rapid technological and combat paradigm shifts. Called “PHALANX”, this near-100 year obsolete command has been given new life, a new mandate, and a new duty.

Save the World. Or die trying.

Hello, and welcome to UFO:AI! This is an open source X-COM tribute project that seeks to take the classic gameplay and bring it into a modern game engine. For that, if you've played the original, you can pretty much drop right in without a second glance. (Your first glance being to check the key-bindings.)

Open Source?

Yep! The game is available for download from here and the community is quite welcoming of new help.

How will this be done?

Screenshots for the most part. I'm still experimenting with videos for certain 'fun' missions. But that's not what you want to know, do you?

I AM LOOKING FOR GOONS TO FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT and diekill aliens for a good cause. Namely that of a fun LP. I will be looking for SOLDIERS, PILOTS and a couple of ENGINEERS and SCIENTISTS (though I won't need more than three of each, and extras may find themselves with a gun in their hands and on a transport to shoot aliens)! If you're a soldier, tell me what style of weapons you want to fight with.

I will be trying to run the full campaign to success, and I won't be above save scumming.

Obviously, Goon creative participation would be welcome.

Spoilers?

Under spoiler tags only please. Untagged spoilers are unwelcome.

Chapters

Prologue
Chapter 00a – Failure
Chapter 00a – History
Chapter 00a – Equipment

Act 1
Chapter 01 – The Birth of Phalanx

Characters
berryjon – Director

Soldiers

Pilots

Scientists

Engineers

-----
Stuff to do once the thread is up and running - Get a text dump for history and equipment right out, as well as a tour of the initial base.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Isn't someone doing the UFO games right now? Or is this something different since you say it's an open source thing?

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Brainamp posted:

Isn't someone doing the UFO games right now? Or is this something different since you say it's an open source thing?

You might be thinking of Jamie's Triple Play of UFO: Aftermath, Aftershock, & Afterlight. In which case they are completely different.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
It is different.

Remember, even X-COM was originally called "UFO: Enemy Unknown" when it was first published, so the moniker of "UFO: ---" isn't limited to just the After-Blank set.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

ArchWizard posted:

Renegade LP

What are you going to do in relation to the multiplayer portion of this game? It had by far the best multiplayer I've played in a game and it would be a shame to not include it.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

What are you going to do in relation to the multiplayer portion of this game? It had by far the best multiplayer I've played in a game and it would be a shame to not include it.

Glad to know I'm not the only person here who liked it.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

limp_cheese posted:

Oh god bringing back gamespy memories... Yeah I remember this game, and it's multiplayer. Does anyone actually still play it? Or would you try and get a group to make a game?

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
working on something and I just wanted to get a little feedback on the quality.
mostly anything with my audio and laid back style I am trying to go for. Thanks guys

Don't Blinx or you Might Miss It. Let's Play Blinx the Time Sweeper.

Blinx: The Time Sweeper is a platform game developed by Artoon and published by Microsoft Game Studios. It was released for the Xbox on October 7, 2002. Advertised as "The World's First 4D Action Game", Blinx is a third-person platform game, in which the player controls Blinx, a Time Sweeper, on his mission to prevent the end of dimension B1Q64. The game revolves around Blinx's Time System: Blinx is outfitted with a magical vacuum cleaner, the Time Sweeper (or TS-1000), with which he can exert some control over Time itself; slowing, speeding up, recording, reversing or stopping its flow entirely.

The Time Sweeper Blinx possess places six different Time Controls at his disposal. Five of these time controls are based on controls commonly found on VCRs and the sixth, RETRY, is unique.

To gain Time Controls, Blinx must first collect Time Crystals. The Time Crystals appear as shining, floating, spinning crystals in the game world. Blinx can collect the Time Crystals in any order, but when he possesses four at once, they are converted into Time Controls. If Blinx holds three of a particular Crystal, he gains one use of that Time Control. If Blinx holds four of a particular Crystal, he gains two uses of that Time Control. Other combinations are discarded.

Time Controls are stored in the Time Sweeper, up to the maximum number of Time Holders Blinx possesses. Blinx must have a Time Control use in his possession in order to activate it.

Blinx can trigger any of these first five Time Controls at any time:

REW - Two purple chevrons pointing to the left. Time Crystal - Purple 'plus'. This causes time to run backwards for everything in the world except Blinx himself. Bridges and other elements previously destroyed can be restored with this Time Control no matter how long ago they were destroyed. Useful when there is a stream with a one-way current or you need to go up a waterfall.

FF - Two orange chevrons pointing to the right. Time Crystal - Orange pyramid. This causes time to run rapidly forwards for everything in the world including Blinx. During FF, Blinx is invulnerable to damage from time monsters or environmental hazards: any contact will cause FF to be cancelled, and Blinx will be unharmed.

PAUSE - Two light blue rectangles. Time Crystal - Blue crescent moon. This causes time to stop for everything in the world except Blinx. Scenery elements are frozen during PAUSE, and can be jumped on to reach hidden areas. Also, he cannot use switches and jump pads.

REC - Green circle. Time Crystal - Green diamond. The first phase of REC is 10 seconds of 'recording' time, where Blinx is invulnerable to all damage, and can move as normal. When 10 seconds has elapsed (or Blinx has been lost to an unrecoverable environmental hazard), the world and Blinx will be rewound backwards for 10 seconds, and the same period of time will be played. During this 'playback', the actions taken by Blinx during the 'recording' will be shown as a green ghost, allowing for enhanced combat tactics to be used, or puzzles that would require two players to be solved(such as a seesaw).

SLOW - Yellow triangle pointing to the right. Time Crystal - Yellow star. This causes time to run slowly for everything in the world except Blinx. Scenery elements are slowed during SLOW, and can be jumped on to reach hidden areas.

There is a sixth Time Control, called RETRY. This Time Control cannot be triggered manually, it is triggered automatically when Blinx is knocked out by an enemy or lost to an infinite chasm. If Blinx holds no RETRYs when he is knocked out, the game is over.

RETRY - Red heart. Time Crystal - Red heart. RETRY causes everything in the world, including Blinx, to rewind to a point where Blinx should be safe.

Blinx can hold any combination of REW, FF, PAUSE, REC or SLOW up to the number of Time Holders he possesses. He begins with three Time Holders, but you can gain more as game progresses. The Time Control RETRY requires a special type of Time Holder, called a Retry Holder. Blinx begins the game with three Retry Holders, but can hold up to nine (an allusion to the lore that cats have nine lives)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Well someone on Volition's design team had this game in mind when they thought up Professor Genki.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Seems fine to me, though around 1:11 you start to mention what killing all the enemies 'gets you access to', but then stop all of a sudden and talk about how it's a pretty short level without actually finishing your thought. That's the only real bump I noticed, and it's easy enough to hear you over the game without being unable to hear the game.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
You have frame blending going on.

How are you deinterlacing? That's usually a good place to start looking on console footage.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Also, your episode update banners were screen-capped from footage that was still interlaced :v: Unless that's the aesthetic you prefer, of course.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Alright - here's what I've put together.
--------------------------------------------

Let's Play Jet Sind Gradio!

Released in the Summer of 2000 for the Sega Dreamcast, Jet Set/Grind Radio is one of the most distinctive and memorable games the system put forth. Implementing the then-new technology of Cel-Shading, Jet Grind/Set Radio was able to take capitalize on a unique visual presentation that was almost nonexistent in other games of the time. The Game's aesthetic incorporates and mixes elements from a myriad of sources, such as Japanese Pop culture and Counterculture, Punk, Hip-Hop, and Graffiti, taking both visual and musical cues from each.

Anyone interested in the Creative aspects of the game owes it to themselves to check out this short documentary abou the Smilebit Team's creative process and a little bit of the history behind the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULllFxGjXfA

For this LP, I'll be taking a slightly different approach what you might expect. While I'll be making mention of the gameplay, it won't really be the focus of the LP. Rather, I will try to put an emphasis on the design and visuals, both in regards to the characters AND their enivironment. This game has some absolutely top-notch concept art and there's not a single character design in the game that I don't like. I'll be drawing as much attention to them as I can, rather than racing past them for completion's sake. Along with Wind Waker and a small handful of other titles, this is one of those few games who's environments I can enjoy purely for their own skae.

Secondly, while Graffiti is integral to both the concept and the gameplay, one of the most often-neglected aspects of the game is the in-game graffiti creation tool. While at times awkward and frustrating, if you accept it's limitations and learn work around them, it can be a really fun tool to create some unique work. If you're willing to put in a little time you'll often surprise yourself with how much you like the end result.

As I progress through the game, I'll be utilizing the Graffiti Tool to make a set of new tags and sprays for each of the characters.

----------------------------------------------

I think the video quality is alright, but could be better. I'll be tinkering around with the encoding in future videos. Other than that, thoughts/criticisms/suggestions? I'm considering putting links to the created graffiti at the end of the OP, but since there's only three so far, I can't really be bothered.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Haven't watched the second vid yet, but midway through the Tutorial vid, just as Tab tells you about dashing making you bulletproof, it cuts back to the intro and plays through the entire thing again. I'd check that out if I were you.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Haven't watched the second vid yet, but midway through the Tutorial vid, just as Tab tells you about dashing making you bulletproof, it cuts back to the intro and plays through the entire thing again. I'd check that out if I were you.

Ahh, gently caress. Not sure how I missed that. I'll have to re-upload the first one, drat.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

If you want to have a "minimally augmented run", you absolutely have to point out the differences from the base game. You mentioned that Interceptors can now carry people. This is huge and I didn't know about that option, granted I didn't play around with the extenders much. You never mentioned that the base layout is not vanilla too.

Also, fix your screenshot links. The pics in the post are OK, but those linked ones (like the Interceptor UFOpedia entry) need to be blown up to that size as well.

I'd try to describe the battles in fewer screenshots. The battlescape parts tend to drag just like another similar mission in the original game, and so while it's realistic :v: I usually find myself skipping them and reading them only if there's a reference to them later.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

Pierzak posted:

If you want to have a "minimally augmented run", you absolutely have to point out the differences from the base game. You mentioned that Interceptors can now carry people. This is huge and I didn't know about that option, granted I didn't play around with the extenders much. You never mentioned that the base layout is not vanilla too.

Also, fix your screenshot links. The pics in the post are OK, but those linked ones (like the Interceptor UFOpedia entry) need to be blown up to that size as well.

I'd try to describe the battles in fewer screenshots. The battlescape parts tend to drag just like another similar mission in the original game, and so while it's realistic :v: I usually find myself skipping them and reading them only if there's a reference to them later.

Actually, I meant that I wouldn't augment the storyline as GuavaMoment did in his LP. But it's a fair point that I should at least point out that the game is modified a bit. In future missions I may use fewer screenshots, but I thought it would be a good idea to make the first one fairly thorough for people who haven't seen the game before.

psluuthor fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 19, 2012

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

a dude via email posted:

Subject: so many questions... archive logins? interaction? etc

does the archive really have to be only a passive archive?
(if so, can it at least be passive in a way that lets us make our own private libraries for enjoying our favorites?)

*((out of all of this crap, i really only want this the most)) i would like to be able to favorite the LP's that i like, as well as bookmark chapters in those specific LP's that i found to be outstanding and would like to revisit, as well as 'subscribe' or follow the author of the LP or be informed via email as to when another of their LP's have been completed and added to the archive.

also being able to 'wait' for a LP that hasn't been done yet (like not even started) but when it is submitted, being emailed about it. sort of like a request, but not. i think this would require a list of game titles from every console and selecting from it, (gamefaqs style-ish?) and selecting how you want to be informed, either via email or just membership notification. (not exactly the same as a request, but could even post the numbers (rated highest to lowest ) for the games people would most like to see LP's for. so authors instantly know there is a captive audience, ready and waiting.)

would there ever be a future where folks would be able to comment on the finished lp's here, rather than on the something awful forums? what about being able to rate the LP's labeled humorous for just how funny they are, or aren't?

will there ever be other ways of submitting completed LP's to the archive, beyond the somethingawful forums? if you are chained to them, is it by need or by desire? i feel like this website has a lot of potential and could become the LP headquarters of the English speaking internet if the right protocols were in place. (w/ editing tools, submission formats for the ss lets plays, quality control... idk.)

sorting them by complete - incomplete - most popular - highest rated for humor, for completion, for instruction. etc.

**((and this i want second most)) text, ss, video, hybrid.... humorous, completionist, voice, subtitles, group HD...
it is absolutely not enough to only be able to select one filter at a time. the main two types of LP's i enjoy are Humorous&Screenshots or Video&Subtitles. it is pointlessly annoying having to select the one category, and then spend 5 mins scanning the lists for games titles im interested in and then trying to find one with formats that i want to view. (think of the methods of organizing searches that websites for diverse and numerous media use, like imdb or danbooru or mangafox use. w/ so many methods of filtering, you can almost always find exactly what you're looking for immediately)

***(and this i want 3rd most) will games ever be listed by their categories, like horror/roleplaying game/strategy?
(and being able to 'subscribe' to certain categories, to see when new LPs of these types of games, or following your desired formats, are submitted, rather than having to pick through all of the newly submitted and hoping that when you log in next you won't have waited too long and lost something you would have liked to have viewed in the ever growing oblivion of LPs, where it waits for you to hopefully, someday, stumble onto it. (and wonder wtf how did i miss this?) )
(this would work out better than the overly specific 'wait' list for LPs that haven't been started yet, but personally i would love and use both options for a lot less hassle. -> (just b/c i want to see a LP of chocobo racing doesn't mean i want to have to look through an entire list of racing games like gran turismo 29 or w/e number they are on now. nor would i want to have to do so repeatedly in hopes that i hadnt missed its posting. and actually, what about adding a search bar? it doesn't have to be fancy, it just needs to know the game titles)

welps, that's enough happy and crappy suggestions(textbrixx) from me for one day.

until next time...!
(to which you may respond: ohgodplzno )

laters :D

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
I will work on it a bit and see if Weirdbias can give me some more pointers.

thanks guys

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

baldurk posted:

Big rear end email

This guy actually does bring up a couple of good points, it would be interesting to see a comment system on the archive, also being able to sort by multiple modifiers when searching LPS, Such as informative video lps. Also the sorted by type of game isn't terrible either really. I mean baldurk you already do a ton but in this crazy email there are actually some interesting ideas.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > The Let's Play Sandcastle (LP headquarters of the English speaking internet): Interest Check = Ban

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

If there's anything I've learned making LPs, it's don't put a comment section on your website.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Tell them you're actually considering doing it, but you'll need to pay a nominal fee in order to access it.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

This guy actually does bring up a couple of good points, it would be interesting to see a comment system on the archive, also being able to sort by multiple modifiers when searching LPS, Such as informative video lps. Also the sorted by type of game isn't terrible either really. I mean baldurk you already do a ton but in this crazy email there are actually some interesting ideas.

You mean like searching for informative video LPs?

While some of his sanest ideas aren't that bad they're either already there like that, or planned (some improvements are indeed long since due. They're coming, trust me). The problem with adding more stuff like sorting by type of game is that while it's not necessarily an inherently bad idea it also really clutters the UI. Next you'd want to search/sort by game platform. The archive doesn't really merit a super advanced search - if you really need to sort by genre you could use the master list but it's just not practical for the archive.

Also a comment system? Are you serious?

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Santa Baldurk, here's what I want on the archive for christmas... First most I want a pony, and second most I want all the LPs from the whole entire internet, and third most I want a car that turns into an airplane.

But seriously, most of it's dumb but multi-tag search wouldn't be a bad thing.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

baldurk posted:

I had no idea search worked on tags, much less multiple of them :psyduck:

EDIT:

"If you'd like to browse, try entering a tag." Well, I feel really loving stupid now! :doh:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

A comment section would pretty much be terrible all around unless policed heavily. If it was free for all to comment on and not just registered members, then it would devolve into something resembling the youtube comment section. The sorting bit ain't such a bad idea, but I've never had a problem since I tend to look for specific games instead of LP type.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

baldurk posted:

But how else am I going to let everyone know that I was the "first" to leave a comment?

FIRST!

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

So he wants the LP archive to be youtube. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

baldurk posted:

I apologize I'm a babby that always considers the best possible outcome for things and never the worst.

• Locked thread