Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Olympus XZ-1 is on Amazon for $200 right now. Is that pretty much the best option for that price currently?
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Digital-Camera-3-Inch-Monitor/dp/B004HO59LK/

I ended up buying it yesterday so I hope it was a good purchase. It sounds comparable to the S95 but not as small. I'm sure there's been plenty of talk about it in here, but it's been out for a while now so I don't see any recent discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I previously had a XZ-1 last year until it got stolen - I replaced it with the S100. I have to admit the size of the S100 means I carry it around more in my pocket, but I do miss the f/2.8 at the telephoto end the XZ-1 offers.

I'm a very inexperienced photographer but I found myself thinking a little bit more about the shot than I do with the S100, which I tend to treat as a fancy (if expensive) P&S.

If you're happy with the XZ-1's size compared to the S95/100 then I would say stick with it, but there's many better placed to advise you on the technical side of things.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

From what I've read, the XZ-1 seems to have a larger but not necessarily better sensor, though I think a lot of the noise issues perhaps come from the NR done on JPEGs in camera. Since I only shoot RAW, I suspect this won't be an issue.

I picked up an XZ-1 and currently have an S95, so I should have some better feedback about the comparison next weekend. If the XZ-1 can do high ISO shooting relatively well, I expect I'll be selling my S95 soon.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Well I've had a few days to mess with the XZ-1 now. As someone who has never owned a "good" P&S and knew nothing about photography... wow. I can't recommend it over other cameras but it certainly hasn't disappointed me. I didn't realize point and shoots could be so good! I was initially concerned about the size but it's smaller than I imagined and still fits in a pocket (though it's not something I would carry around all the time).

I do with the USB port wasn't proprietary.

edit: I see what people mean with the in-camera noise reduction. I can get sharper results working with the raw files and using a lot less NR. I'll probably just shoot in raw+jpg since memory is cheap even though I don't edit most of my images.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 6, 2012

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Krakkles posted:

From what I've read, the XZ-1 seems to have a larger but not necessarily better sensor, though I think a lot of the noise issues perhaps come from the NR done on JPEGs in camera. Since I only shoot RAW, I suspect this won't be an issue.

I picked up an XZ-1 and currently have an S95, so I should have some better feedback about the comparison next weekend. If the XZ-1 can do high ISO shooting relatively well, I expect I'll be selling my S95 soon.

I used the XZ-1 for about 6 months. ISO 1600 raw was usable with some lightroom noise reduction. Anything outside of that was a real crapshoot.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I need to buy a superzoom for my mom for Christmas. She doesn't need any crazy image quality, but she likes shooting animals on all the walks my parents go on, so a very long optical zoom and a good macro mode would make her happy.

Any models recommended in particular? Am I probably best off waiting for black friday sales?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

HeyEng posted:

I used the XZ-1 for about 6 months. ISO 1600 raw was usable with some lightroom noise reduction. Anything outside of that was a real crapshoot.
Honestly, the shots I took the other night at ISO1000 in relatively low light were pure noisy garbage. I'm going to return this and cannot at all recommend it over an S95/100.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Powershot G10 that I just inherited.

I've been trying to get into photography but it's a fairly expensive hobby. I've inherited as well a Canon AE-1 and an EOS Elan 7N. What makes more sense, to practice with a point and shoot like the G10, or to invest in film and developing with the SLR's? Personally I like the G10 and I look for any excuse to use it, but I don't know if it's even an applicable medium to get better at photography with.

These shots were all on manual, but obviously from the photos above there's a ton of work to do in understanding the mechanics better and I just want to become proficient enough to justify finally putting money into a DSLR further down the road.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

You can get a basic dslr kit for ~200 bucks, it's not *that* bad.

That said, nothing wrong with using a g10. A camera's a camera.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I've got a g12 and it has pretty good controls for manually adjusting shutter speed and aperture. I assume the G10 can do live view histograms too.

Manual focus would definitely be easier with some sort of SLR/DSLR though compared to the G-series, and if you plan to use the viewfinder, it would be better go get something with more coverage and/or more information.

I think you would be ok until you want really wide angle photos, lots of out of focus areas in your shots and/or indoor/no flash, or telephoto.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mugrim posted:

Powershot G10 that I just inherited.

I've been trying to get into photography but it's a fairly expensive hobby. I've inherited as well a Canon AE-1 and an EOS Elan 7N. What makes more sense, to practice with a point and shoot like the G10, or to invest in film and developing with the SLR's? Personally I like the G10 and I look for any excuse to use it, but I don't know if it's even an applicable medium to get better at photography with.

These shots were all on manual, but obviously from the photos above there's a ton of work to do in understanding the mechanics better and I just want to become proficient enough to justify finally putting money into a DSLR further down the road.

Honestly, I recommend sticking with the G10. It'll have everything you need to get started and really learn how to manipulate the different capabilities of your camera and the various properties of light in order to manipulate the environment into producing the photographs you want. Plus, since it's digital, it'll provide important instant feedback that helps keep someone new to the hobby interested and engaged.

Once you have a better understanding of what's going on, you can absolutely pick up an entry level SLR and play around with film.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
I want to get a camera for my wife this Christmas and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all of the different possibilitiesis the s95 or the 100 capable of taking good motion shots? Main use for it would be taking pictures of our daughter at horse shows where she's running poles and barrels.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Outdoors and with shutter-priority she should be all set.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Those Canons are wide-angle, I think you'd want something with better zoom for something like that.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

True, better served by a super-zoom. Similar price-range too.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man I'm just playing around with my sister's rx100 and drat it's good.hefty price tag but you can bump the iso all the way,I was playing with 3200 and its better than my s100 or xz1.

Any thoughts from you guys?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

caberham posted:

Man I'm just playing around with my sister's rx100 and drat it's good.hefty price tag but you can bump the iso all the way,I was playing with 3200 and its better than my s100 or xz1.

Any thoughts from you guys?

I really loving love my rx100. I take it with me constantly, whereas with my dslr and corresponding big lens, I'd hesitate. I mean, it's not as good as an SLR, obviously, but it gets a lot closer than any other point and shoot i've owned. Plus, I find people are a lot less intimidated by it, and more willing to let me to take pictures (I've never managed to pull off being subtle and unnoticed in public). It's just a ton of fun, I find.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Same here. It's the perfect compliment to my D800 as an always on me camera. For me, the thing that really makes it viable is the low light performance. It's the first point and shoot I've used where you can shoot in pretty much any condition without using the onboard flash.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Been editing photos side-by-side taken with an E-PL2 and an RX100, and the Sony's dynamic range at high iso just beats the pants off the (one generation back) Olympus. It does get grainy, but it's still quite detailed. Also I guess it really does look more like "grain" as opposed to "noise".

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Shadokin posted:

I want to get a camera for my wife this Christmas and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all of the different possibilitiesis the s95 or the 100 capable of taking good motion shots? Main use for it would be taking pictures of our daughter at horse shows where she's running poles and barrels.

You should get a superzoom that has fast autofocus - I think Sony and Panasonic have the best offerings in that area.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

So, if I'm a broke-rear end college student, is there a decent choice for a cheap P&S? I guess a cellphone camera works okay, but it'd be nice to take some decent-quality pictures, particularly in RAW. Photography is just something I do for fun, I'm not looking for crazy lenses or anything, just something simple and cheap that can, ideally, shoot okay at night and in RAW. Also preferably under $200. Is this a pipe dream, or is there something out there that fits the bill?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Doomsayer posted:

So, if I'm a broke-rear end college student, is there a decent choice for a cheap P&S? I guess a cellphone camera works okay, but it'd be nice to take some decent-quality pictures, particularly in RAW. Photography is just something I do for fun, I'm not looking for crazy lenses or anything, just something simple and cheap that can, ideally, shoot okay at night and in RAW. Also preferably under $200. Is this a pipe dream, or is there something out there that fits the bill?

A Canon S90/S95 would probably fit the bill pretty well, I believe the upgrades from the S90 to the later models are pretty marginal. I handled my parents' S95 and I was impressed with how simple it was to use and how small and light it was. It also gets good low light performance because it has a faster lens than most typical P&S cameras

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

The S100 is on Amazon for $300, which isn't bad, but it's a hair more than I was hoping to pay. I'll keep an eye on it though, maybe I can get a decent deal later.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!

Doomsayer posted:

The S100 is on Amazon for $300, which isn't bad, but it's a hair more than I was hoping to pay. I'll keep an eye on it though, maybe I can get a decent deal later.

It's up for $230 as a DotD, grabbed one for myself!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Apocalypse Please posted:

It's up for $230 as a DotD, grabbed one for myself!

I have exactly $63 in my bank account until payday :( I'm going to try and sell my old Sigma D14 DSLR that I never used to see if I can raise some money towards it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shadokin posted:

Outdoors or indoors? A lot of those indoor barns have god awful lighting and will be tough for any camera to get a good focus.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Are there any cheap point and shoots that can get decent pictures of birds? My mom is asking because her G9 died and wasn't good at birds, and since it's Cyber Monday she wants to buy one today.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The super-est super zoom you can find probably. I think Panasonic's offerings in that realm are pretty good and have fast autofocus: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200/

They aren't cheap though. This Nikon looks pretty good for about half the price of the panasonic: http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/compacts/nikon_cpp510

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Thanks, I'll throw these her way. She wants cheap but there's no way she'll be taking pictures of wild birds with a cheap camera. She has crazy gardens and bird houses and bird feeders on her land, so she gets tons of cool wildlife, but she's never been able to get pics of them. I leant her my D80 with a 17-130mm lens or someshit (kit lens) but she can't figure the camera out...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Girlfriend just bought a Canon SX500 with 30x optical zoom for $250 with Cyber Monday discounts and price-matching... seems like it'd be great for birds.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 27, 2012

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Anyone have any recommendations for some stupid simple point and shoots with different modes (like landscape, sport, etc). I'm looking for an upgrade for my in-laws because they do a lot of traveling and shooting in museums and stuff, but they're pretty technology stupid. So switching between modes would have to be really easy, like a dial on the top or something.

I skimmed Best Buy and seems like all the ones that had dials were for manual exposure settings, shutter priorities, etc which would be waaaaaaaay beyond their comprehension.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lyz posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for some stupid simple point and shoots with different modes (like landscape, sport, etc). I'm looking for an upgrade for my in-laws because they do a lot of traveling and shooting in museums and stuff, but they're pretty technology stupid. So switching between modes would have to be really easy, like a dial on the top or something.

I skimmed Best Buy and seems like all the ones that had dials were for manual exposure settings, shutter priorities, etc which would be waaaaaaaay beyond their comprehension.

I'm a big fan of the iA+ (aka Gold Auto) mode on newer Sony P&S that have it. My HX9V seems to choose the right scene mode nearly all of the time (low light, backlit, auto-HDR, etc.).

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Just a heads-up, the S100 is $250 at amazon right now. Merry Christmas to me. :toot:

dangerousjim
Oct 4, 2006

dangerous like the cancerous superaids
After struggling for a while to come up with a Christmas present for my girlfriend, I hit on the idea of getting her a cheapish point and shoot. She's got a DSLR, so is just looking for an "always on me" camera that isn't a cellphone. Had a quick browse through the thread, saw the S100 buy that's way out the price bracket. Looking to spend somewhere between AUD$100-200 as money's pretty tight just now. Is there anything worthwhile in that price bracket?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

If you're willing to go used, I love my S90. I always have it on me and it's a champ. The low-light performance and being able to shoot in RAW really make it for me. If she's used to shooting RAW with her DSLR I'm sure she'll appreciate it too.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

dangerousjim posted:

Looking to spend somewhere between AUD$100-200 as money's pretty tight just now. Is there anything worthwhile in that price bracket?

For someone who's already got a DSLR, I would say no, it would just be money wasted on your part. What if instead you purchased her a gift card for really high-quality mail-order large prints? Then she could frame some of her favorite own pictures to keep for herself or as gifts. Or if you already knew one of her favorite photos, you could get that printed yourself, and framed in a high quality frame.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
I want to get a gift for my girlfriend for christmas. She wants to use it to take pictures for a makeup blog, general family/friend photos, and messing around. Looking to spend about $100-200 preferably. Is there anything good in this range?

RyceCube fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 20, 2012

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Phiberoptik posted:

I want to get a gift for my girlfriend for christmas. She wants to use it to take pictures for a makeup blog, general family/friend photos, and messing around. Looking to spend about $100-200 preferably. Is there anything good in this range?
Generally speaking, Canon's point and shoot cameras are all pretty good, at least compared to other manufacturers at the same feature/quality level. Go for the nicest Canon you see in that price range.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Lyz posted:

Way late on the response here, but until I got my S100, I used to use the Canon A series of cameras. They used to have a dial on the top with a bunch of modes designated by icons (mountains for landscape mode, a person for portrait, a person with some stars for nighttime mode, a person running for fast action, etc). I don't know if any of the current models in the A-series have that, but you could probably check them out at a Best Buy or other electronics store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Picked up a Sony DSC-WX150 today from Costco. $173 out the door with 8GB card.

Amazon has some great reviews on it. Seems pretty solid so far. It's nice to have something capable in my pocket when I don't want to lug the D700 around.

• Locked thread