Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Y'know what? Sod it, time to share some experiences!

Nayell Darhan: The Force Inept

Back when I was an irritating little newbie, I was allowed into a Star Wars d20 game at my local university group. We were playing through the Rebellion Era source-book, and, because I still thought Jedi were cool, I decided to play a Force Adept called Nayell Darhan.

Now, for those familiar with the Rebellion Era adventure-book, it's mostly "Your characters being on the periphery of famous events, and not quite being the heroes". So, naturally, the game started on Tattooine, and we came into possession of two droids... which looked vaguely like the two droids, but were, in fact, completely different.

I knew this drat well, and did not, at the time, know well enough not to metagame. So, when a pair of stormtroopers came up and asked to search our vehicle, the following exchange occurred.

ME: I use Force Persuade. "These aren't the droids you're looking for."

DM: You sure?

ME: Yup. [rolls a natural 1]

DM: The stormtroopers get angry. "HOW D'YOU KNOW WE'RE LOOKING FOR DROIDS!"

ME: "No, no, no... These aren't... the droids... you're LOOKING FOR!" (Natural 1, last of my meager Force Points for the whole day spent)

DM: "We're looking anyway... Nope, these aren't the droids we're looking for."

I got off pretty lightly, that one occasion. However, later, I managed to atone for this gross piece of (failed) metagaming...

The Infamous Force Speed Wheelbarrow

A few sessions later, we'd levelled up some, done some important stuff, and were on another rear end-end planet to save some senator or other, who was being targeted by Imperial Intelligence for the usual "vanishing". Getting there was fine, and we get a lovely description of the lavish gardens (unusually well kept for a low-tech world), the manor house...

...and the entire garrison of stormtroopers that suddenly decided to show up. Obviously, a stand up fight was in order. Just as obviously, Nayell was not actually that good a fighter... So, once again, an exchange between myself and the DM.

ME: This is a low-tech world, right?

DM: Right.

ME: Sooooo... there's going to be a garden shed somewhere nearby, right?

DM: That would be a logical assumption.

ME: I make a search check to find a wheelbarrow, some rope, and a tarpaulin. (roll... pass)

DM: Oooooo...kaaaay...

ME: Get the ambassador in the wheelbarrow, I'll meet you at the ship.

The rest of the group: WHAT?!?

ME: Just do it, dammit!

You see... I'd gotten Force Speed the level before this adventure. Now, no self respecting DM would let this pass without a series of checks, and I managed to barely pass about five dex checks to keep the wheelbarrow balanced on rough terrain at around 80mph. Then the DM throws me the curve-ball.

DM: The ship is now on the horizon.

ME: Oh, er... good?

DM: It's getting sort of close now.

ME: Oh... [realisation dawns] poo poo.

DM: [smirk]

ME: Okay... I... I... I turn the wheelbarrow around and run backwards, that'll allow me to slow down enough and cushion the ambassador!

Somehow, the DM lets this vaguely pass... but not without... two dex checks. Requiring nat 20s...

...Long story short, Nayell hits one of the ship's struts at about 30mph, barely survives... the Ambassador's dignity is the only thing that's harmed, and the party eventually gets back to us (relatively) safe and sound.

And, one last one to keep you going:

Bad rolls for Everybody!!!

In the Fading Suns game I've been running fairly recently (there's an LP thread, but it's effectively dead now due to lack of anyone else posting), there have been many memorable moments. But none, perhaps, as memorable as the first adventure's climactic fight.

The fight was in two halves: Downstairs, Just Dave (a Scraver thug built like a brick outhouse) and Raven Hawkwood (A noble best summed up by "Don't ask") are holding a door against about 12 Muster thugs. Upstairs, Toggok (Stinky the Gannok, a smelly space monkey) and Viktor Teller (An Engineer) are duking it out with an assassin who's trying to kill their (temporarily) bedridden employer.

The two fights had the same outcome, but very different leadups. Downstairs, Just Dave is tanking the poo poo out of everything that comes his way, mainly due to his bionics (Armour 4, it seems, is nothing to sneeze at in Fading Suns!). However, he's having trouble because he just jammed his arm-sword into the table that's serving as his cover.

Meanwhile, Upstairs, Bitash the sniper-assassin and Viktor are shooting at each other, point blank range... and doing 1 damage to each other, at best, each round. It has to be heard to be believed, because, round after round, Just Dave is kicking arse and taking names, while poor Viktor's player is swearing like a sailor, and I'm...

I'm laughing my head off. Because they're both using, effectively, hand-cannons, wearing normal clothing, and are... love-tapping each other, for, in real-world terms, a solid minute and a half. The fights eventually come to a close, with Bitash running, and getting shot/clawed to near death in a single round, while Just Dave scares the rest of the thugs away by brutally gutting their informal leader (Mikey the Mega-Thug).

Thing is, Viktor's player, ever since, seems to have been outright cursed on the dice-rolls (with one exception), whereas, until recently, Just Dave's player has just sauntered through poo poo that would make space marines squeal.

EDIT: Oops, too many smileys... :(

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JamieTheD posted:

Nayell Darhan: The Force Inept

We purposely trained him wrong, as a joke.

That second part seems 80s cartoonish as hell which owns.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JamieTheD posted:

Bad rolls for Everybody!!!
There's nothing quite like the feeling you get watching everyone roll in the bottom 10% of possible rolls for multiple turns. It's even better in systems with an attack and a defense roll, since everyone gets double the chances to look like a dork.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Zoness posted:

We purposely trained him wrong, as a joke.

That second part seems 80s cartoonish as hell which owns.

Yeah, funny you should mention that... one of the memorable quotes I fondly remember from that same game was "Ah, yes, the Tom and Jerry method of disabling the shield generator..."

Our then-DM, master of deadpan.

Yawgmoth posted:

There's nothing quite like the feeling you get watching everyone roll in the bottom 10% of possible rolls for multiple turns. It's even better in systems with an attack and a defense roll, since everyone gets double the chances to look like a dork.

It's also funny you should mention that, because of the way attack and defence works in Fading Suns. Specifically, it works much like Shadowrun does, in dice pools... perhaps I should have called it "Good rolls for everybody!"?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

Friends don't let friends play in games where random die rolls can get a PC killed.
I think they meant more along the lines of "Avoid games where failing the 'Ride Escalator' check results in you being fired out of the mall skylight, into the sun"...

Okay maybe that specifically would be kind of amazing.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
I feel like reminiscing a bit about a Deadlands game I ran... yikes, nigh on ten years now. It ended up falling apart after like five, six sessions but we had some memorable moments along the way.

Animal Magnetism

So one of the PCs had this elaborate backstory where he appeared to be a Mountie, working out of his jurisdiction hunting down a pack of werewolves that fled down South. In reality, he was the amnesiac survivor of one of their massacres, having salvaged the clothes and gear of the Mountie who came to stop them and failed. It's always great when a player hands you this kind of plot hook on a silver platter (even if it is a little FF7 now I think about it), so I ran with the "PC as unreliable narrator" and decided the pack leader wasn't just a werewolf, but a fallen Jewish mystic cursed by God with lycanthropy, as He was apparently prone to do to baal shem that abused their power.

So anyway, this guy was a wizard werewolf, and clearly destined to be at least one of this campaign's Big Bads. I statted him up to be way out of the PCs' league at this juncture, but also way too into playing with his food to consider them worth killing yet, so I figured I'd introduce him in an unexpected setting and then have him make his exit. If nothing else he'd just no-sell whatever violence was aimed at him, maybe straight-up jump out the window of the train all the PCs were meeting on if need be.

(in hindsight this is a bit of a railroad move, but since we were establishing all the PCs meeting while riding on the same train, I suppose I found it irresistible)

So Werezard sits down in the diner car next to the Mountie, and starts making small talk, doing the urbane evil thing and just laying the wolf and prey metaphors ungodly thick. The Mountie had already shared his story at this point and pretty much all the PCs were getting real uneasy as the penny dropped, all except the Mountie, just the coolest cucumber around, never losing his cool or even making a threat. Eventually the bad guy tips his hat and moseys out.

Everyone at the table compliments the Mountie's player on how James Bond he handled that poo poo... and then he confesses HE JUST THOUGHT THIS RANDOM NPC WAS HITTING ON HIM AND HE DIDN'T MAKE THE WEREWOLF CONNECTION AT ALL.

Horniness Is Next To Godliness

Couple sessions later, the group is in New Orleans or thereabouts, and of course the group's Huckster insists on getting in some poker. And of course, he ends up in an insanely high-stakes game where at least one of the other players is a voodoo priest. And of course, the Huckster starts using hexes to cheat.

This would have been a real tense situation, except that it suddenly hits me that the Huckster really piled on the disadvantages, so he is real old, lame in one leg, and extremely lecherous... which are pretty much all the traits attributed to the voudoun equivalent of Hermes. The Houngan suddenly decides this must be some kind of spiritual initiation or test, folds so the Huckster wins the entire pot, and spends the rest of the night wining and dining him while kissing his rear end. The huckster, of course, just eats all this up as his natural due and generously allows him to shower him with wealth and praise, not even asking why.

On Mixed Successes

Now, the indirect reason the group was in New Orleans was that they were fleeing Atlanta, where the game started, on account of how they resolved a situation where a bunch of the local Masons had started up a Hellfire Club that ended up trucking with actual demons. By the time the PCs got wind of all this and started investigating, they'd reached the point of conducting a human sacrifice to the dark powers. The group immediately resolved to thwart the ritual... by sneaking around outside the lodge, barring all the doors, setting the building on fire, and shooting anybody who tried to crawl out the windows. There were no survivors.

It seemed pretty clear to me that instead of stopping the ritual, they had instead hijacked it by presenting a far greater sacrifice (both in quantity and quality of victims-- this was like three quarters of the town's leading citizens), so now the Reckoners were beholden to them for raising the ambient fear levels instead. The group were not happy when they put two and two together a few sessions later...

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Section Z posted:

I think they meant more along the lines of "Avoid games where failing the 'Ride Escalator' check results in you being fired out of the mall skylight, into the sun"...

Okay maybe that specifically would be kind of amazing.

Next time I run Paranoia, I am /so/ having them make 'ride escalator' checks.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I’m really glad I can finally write in this thread about a really loving good experience for once. Since this ended up being a lot longer than I thought it would, I'm just going to split it into parts. Hopefully it's not too long and/or unorganized!

I've been playing with my D&D group for as long as I can remember, and despite a lot of rockiness with some players which eventually led to one of them being kicked out, weave finally found a really solid set of players and characters. It’s a standard 3.5 campaign in a Homebrewed setting, which has one main continent due to the world being flooded in a war of Dragons in ages past. It originally was about a civil war quickly turning national in one of the countries called Badaur, but we have since distanced ourselves from that conflict for the time being. Instead, we've moved towards the country to its north, a part desert, part plains nation known as Uther. Our characters include:

Rufus :black101:, the human Warmage. He and his warband are devout followers of Bahamut and the Copper Dragons. He serves as the party’s main damage dealer, and would rather fight someone than try and reason with him. He’s also the comic relief for the party, and excellent foil.

Venora :clint:, the lucky elven Spellthief, is played by me. A wanderer since escaping from an anti-magic cult at a young age, she used her subconscious magical talents to manipulate luck, which made her a legendary Gambler. It also keeps her one step ahead of the leader of the cult, Fasael, who either wants to kill her or kidnap her again. She’s not the most practically built character, being made entirely around Luck feats, but a lot of strange trinkets and tools keep her afloat in even the most dire conditions.

Lastly is Halen :rolleyes:, the masked Drow Warlock. Serving as the utility of the party, he frequently uses mirror images along with invisibility to be a nuisance to enemies, along with being impossible to pin down. He also manages to be about ten steps ahead of everyone, including the DM, as far as planning goes. He’s also the only survivor of the original party in this campaign.

To give a bit of backstory, the previous session (which was also the first with this new party build), saw us get together by all getting thrown in prison after an attack on the country’s capitol, Uther. Each was arrested for unspecified reasons, and thanks to trumped up charges of treason by the country’s Sultan, we were quickly deported to the prison city of Farseer. Once there, we were forced into trial by combat to see if we could earn our freedom. What could have been a really dull combat grind ended up being really interesting. Our DM added a mechanic for pleasing the crowd; When we would do something fancy, or shake off an especially strong hit, we would get extra D6s we could apply to attack rolls, damage, saves or skill checks while in the arena.

Eventually, we reached the final challenge, which was fighting what was thought to be the last Red Dragon in the world. However, Halen knew that the attack on Uther was caused by Red Dragons, and used this knowledge to convince him to help us escape. Once we were free, however, the dragon considered us useless to him, and tried to kill us. This lead to us trying to fight the Dragon while on its back, while it tried to throw us off with barrel rolls. Eventually, we struck it down and all managed to survive the plummet to the earth. Rufus took the head of the dragon to sell, while the Drow took various chunks of meat off of it to preserve for later. We ended the session on route to the floating mage city of Zabron in order to sell our Dragon Head and try to lay low for a while.

Our session started out simple enough. Rufus and I pawned off the Dragon’s head for a hefty bit of gold, while Halen left the city for unspecified reasons. Since you needed to use teleporters to get around the various islands of the city, and I didn't want to be tethered to the hip of our Warmage all the time, I went to the main government building to get myself a (very expensive) teleporter pass. While bitching about the price of things in this godforsaken stuck up city, we managed to bump into none other than the Sultan again. We were quickly arrested again and brought to the Arch Mage’s quarters. It was probably a really stupid idea to just walk into a government building in the city which was likely to become the new capitol while also being labeled as a traitor. But, hey, 20/20 hindsight.

The Sultan contemplated throwing us back in prison, but considering how quickly we managed to escape and make a fool out of him, he decided against it. He eventually gave us a simple task in order to gain our freedom: Retrieve an artifact known as the Dragonhead Charm from a sunken city about 50 miles off the coast. While the Sultan refused to dispense more information about the Charm, we quickly gathered it was an artifact designed to amplify magic, and GREATLY amplify Dragon magic or abilities.

We were given a week to prepare for the journey. In order to ensure we wouldn’t try anything funny, two strange elves, one female and one male, were tasked with watching over us. Both of us had one stick to us like glue, following us no matter where we went. They were masked, robed in red, and were completely stoic and refused to react to us at all. We quickly took to calling them nicknames such as Mario and Luigi, Jessie and James, and the like. While the Warmage ignored his follower for the most part, I spent the better part of the week trying to get him to drink with me, roll my dice or play my cards for me when out at the gambling dens in the city. Predictably, he refused every interaction.

After a week's stay in the city, head to a local port and catch a ride with a merchant vessel which has been paid off to take us to the sunken city. Along the way, we reunited with Halen, and at the first It's about a three day journey, and we're told in no uncertain terms that the ship will not be coming back for us. It's at this point (to our DM's dismay) that we realized, despite having a week to prepare, we didn't actually do any real preparing. For going to a sunken city underneath the ocean, we didn't have much in the way of survivability. Fortunately, the ship's captain agrees to trade us one potion of water breathing, but that's all he can spare. The days pass, and finally we're within sight of the city. The only thing above the water that we could see were the very tops of the highest towers within the city.

Now, my character came into possession of a Wheel of Fortune prior to this session which she ritually, almost compulsively, spins. For those who don't know, a Wheel of Fortune is a magical item that does pretty much exactly what it sounds like. It's a wooden box with a multicolored wheel on the top. You push a button, and the wheel spins for a round. When it comes to a stop, you are blessed or cursed based on what was rolled. There's a couple homebrew set ups that are really insane with the buffs you get, but the one we're using is from the Complete Scoundrel, which gives you either temporary HP, a +2 to certain attributes for the purposes of checks, the like. Stopping on Red, however, nets you a minus to attack rolls and saves. This lasts for the rest of the day. Since my character is so luck based, my DM and I also agreed that she would take a minus to skill checks also.

So, my character spins her wheel, which comes up white, the best result. However, the DM cuts in:

DM: As the wheel slows to a stop on white, it immediately jerks, spinning backwards onto red, as you feel an ill omen overtake you.
:clint:: :stare: Guys, I think we're in trouble.

Almost immediately afterward, a rumbling started on the boat. We all rushed to the side as a Kraken roared up from the depths, and immediately started attacking the boat. Halen just levitated off of the boat, and towards the sunken city. Rufus, using some nature and int checks along with some magic, started comprehending the Kraken's language, along with speaking it. He started pleading for our lives, promising to feed him. The Kraken halted its assault on the vessel, demanding to be fed. So the Warmage overturned his bag of holding, dumping out 75 trail rations into the beast's mouth, AND said that if he spares us three, he can have the rest of the ship. The Kraken, after chowing down on what must be table scraps to him, reluctantly agreed, and told us to hop on his back.

Now I didn't get any of this, because I don't speak fish or whatever the gently caress. So when I suddenly got pulled off the boat by our Warmage, who was yelling for us to JUMP ON THE KRAKEN'S BACK, I started to freak out. We ended up getting dragged up to the city, and thrown onto one of the lower buildings with a flat roof. This marked the beginning of a major conflict between Venora and Rufus, that would only be amplified as the session went on.

Now, after surfing on/being dragged by the Kraken (depending on who you asked), we found ourselves face to face with our two masked followers. We hadn't seen them leave the ship, but we weren't terribly surprised to find them here. For the first time, they spoke to us:

:ninja:: I'm glad to see you all are still alive. It would be a shame for you to perish without finishing our Master's bidding. Of course, attempt to take the artifact for yourself, and we will kill you.
:rolleyes:: Don't make idle threats. I fire an Eldritch Blast at him.

It was an incredibly quick, but brutal combat. The female masked goon was brought down almost instantly thanks to a lucky sneak attack critical and a fireball, but this only angered the other one. He used Blade of Blood along with True Strike to hit me for over 3/4ths of my HP in a single blow. He was teleported away from us before we could finish him by an unseen force, leaving us stranded, but significantly less hassled.

With nowhere to go but down, we had no choice but to continue onward into the Sunken City.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So, let's talk about the Only War session I played last night. First, some background:

After learning how to get kicked off a Star Fort in five easy steps, our group was loaded onto a dropship and informed of our mission: We are to land on a former Imperial world that had turned to Chaos and attempt to cause as much mayhem as possible in advance of the main invasion fleet. Fortunately, we've got access to airborne resupply. Unfortunately, the main Hive on the planet has a ring of Anti-Aircraft guns surrounding it, preventing us from getting much-needed supplies for as long as they're active and we're near the city. So, eliminating them is our first objective.

Now, at the time of the drop we consisted of:

:mil101: Staff Sergeant "1940K" Summers (Me), an Elysian Drop Troop Sergeant right out of Band of Brothers,

:science: Tybalt/"T-Bolt", a rookie Tech Priest that's accompanied by the lobotomized shell of what used to be his sister (He hosed up, she took the blame and got turned into a servitor),

:commissar: Commissar Stern, a man with an endless supply of cigars and very little patience,

:zaeed: Bushelfoot, a Highborn Ratling Sniper who's under the impression that the Imperial Guard is just like the Boy Scouts, and

:ussr: Boris, a Vahallan Heavy Gunner that's extremely protective towards his comrade*.

Over the next two sessions, we were later joined via airdrop by:

:catholic: Ymir, a Maccabian Janissary whose medical skill rivals Dr. House, and

:britain: Wesley Smythe, an insane Stormtrooper that's an eternally cheerful walking British sterotype (It helps that the player is actually British).

For the first few sessions, things actually went pretty smoothly. Despite learning that our main opposition consists of Slaaneshi cultists (Furry Slaaneshi cultists, no less), we've managed to make contact with one of the last loyal remnants of the PDF and have gotten their support for our operations. However, there's a complication: The Tech Priest has his own mission from the Adeptus Mechanicus, and at the end of our last session he discovered a signal coming from a ruined shopping mall between us and the AA guns. So, we decided to swing by there to investigate.

Big mistake.

After dealing with some gun servitors at the entrance of the mall, we came across a group of Skitarii belonging to an AdMech faction that had been excommunicated decades ago. A firefight broke out pretty quickly, and we were quickly sent scrambling for cover as a concealed Sniper and a heavy gun position opened up on us. We were able to deal with them, but unfortunately our sniper took a nasty shot to the head, and... I'll let the critical damage table explain:

Critical Damage Table posted:

In a gruesome display, the flesh is burned from the target’s head, exposing charred bone and muscle underneath. The target is blinded permanently and suffers 1d10 levels of Fatigue. Also, roll 1d10. This is the target’s new Fellowship, unless their Fellowship is already 10 or less, in which case don’t bother rolling, as nobody really notices the difference.

:stare:

So after we finished up combat and had the medic drag our barely alive sniper back to the PDF encampment, we decided to head further into the mall to find the source of the signal, with the Sniper taking control of his comrade for the rest of the session. So after exploring the mall some more, we came stumbled upon a small room with a Tech Magos and five fully-armed gun servitors, all standing around another servitor that appeared to be attempting to drill through a wall. Needless to say, they spotted us fairly quickly, and the Magos made it clear that he knew exactly what our Tech Priest was after, and he couldn't let us leave alive. Now, by this point everyone's pretty certain we're about to get our poo poo wrecked. The Tech-Priest is desperately trying to keep the Magos talking, everyone has their weapons raised, and I'm trying to come up with a plan that might allow at least half of us to live.

Then, our medic, a Maccabian Jannissary whose only regret is that he has but one life to give to the Emperor, drops his gun. Reaching down onto his bandolier, he primes two Krak grenades and charges the nearest servitor, prompting everyone to immediately open fire. He's instantly gunned down by the servitor, and unfortunately his grenades end up sailing past the servitor and detonate harmlessly.

For the rest of this recap, I'm going to ask you play either this or any other sufficiently awesome hard rock track.

The Heavy Gunner, a Vahallan who's already thrown himself on top of a grenade once this campaign and lived, unleashes a torrent of Heavy Bolter fire at the nearest gun servitor. Unfortunately, only a single round manages to connect. That round, however, rolls Righteous Fury three times in a row**, and manages to not only kill the first servitor, but manages to punch straight through it and destroys the one behind it as well.

Then, the Tech Priest goes. Now, for this mission he was issued a fairly rare Techxorcism gun, which can make technology shut down. Due to bad rolls, however, he's only actually managed to hit with the thing a bare handful of times. Not today, however-first shot is a crit that goes straight between the eyes of the Tech Magos, shutting down half of his augments and sending him crashing down into the floor.

It keeps going. The Commissar manages to dodge a torrent of fire from the Servitors and lands another crit, putting down another servitor. The sniper's companion manages to get yet another crit, putting down the second-to-last servitor.

Finally, it's my turn. Hefting my Combat Shotgun, I close to point blank range and pump three rounds into the last servitor. "Three miles up!"

I roll damage. It's a crit. The servitor collapses to the ground, a wreck of flesh and circutry.

"Three Miles down!" :hellyeah:

Finally, it's time to deal with the Magos. Weakly, he attempts to lift an archeotech Plasma Pistol, only to have his wrist crushed by the Tech Priest as he walks up. Using his Mechadendrite, he severs the Magos' head from his body, uttering the phrase Meminit mortis, scientia vivere-"Remember you will die, but Knowledge will live on."

Then, the body starts beeping. Everyone immediately books it out of the room, just as what's left of the Magos' body explodes and the encounter ends.

I loving love this game.

* In Only War, most classes come with a Comrade that can provide some bonuses in combat, but for all intents and purposes they're a mere extension of the PC

**Only War has it's own crit system, but our DM prefers the Dark Heresy's Righteous Fury for simplicity's sake.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
But was he a SIGNIFICANT furry cultist or did you just blow up the last of the near-faithful tehcnocrats on the planet?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

JAssassin posted:

DM: As the wheel slows to a stop on white, it immediately jerks, spinning backwards onto red, as you feel an ill omen overtake you.

Wait, did the DM give you an artifact that randomly dicks you over and then override the randomness when it suited his fancy? (Or did you still get the mechanical benefits?)

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
That snipers going to get robot eyes isn't he? A skull face and robot eyes is Warhammer40k as gently caress.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

goatface posted:

But was he a SIGNIFICANT furry cultist or did you just blow up the last of the near-faithful tehcnocrats on the planet?

Fortunately, they weren't furries. As near as we can tell they were a part of an excommunicated faction of the Mechanicus, and they were there for the same reason our Tech Priest is: To secure some form of Archeotech that I'm apparently not allowed to know about.

Tardcore posted:

That snipers going to get robot eyes isn't he? A skull face and robot eyes is Warhammer40k as gently caress.

Not only is he getting robot eyes, he's going to get the robot eyes from the Magos we just killed. Unfortunately his Fellowship just dropped from 48 to 4, but at least he can still cook!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

FredMSloniker posted:

Wait, did the DM give you an artifact that randomly dicks you over and then override the randomness when it suited his fancy? (Or did you still get the mechanical benefits?)

I guess? It's a bit railroady, but it doesn't really bug me that much considering how strong it really is (7/8 of the results are completely positive with no negatives). v:shobon:v

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
The Dice Hate Bryan

We were playing Car Wars back in the old days, before the horrible 2.5 reboot. Arena combat, either Div. 100 or Unlimited, I can't remember.

I was in my metal armored, gas powered minibus, trying to catch someone with my ramplate (vehicle weight > 13,000 lbs. means 3x damage modifier in collisions). My gunner was trying to tag Gary with his cyberlinked ATG loaded with HESH as we closed at a suicidal rate.

Gary's sloped and streamlined sedan tagged me with a blast cannon as he swung in to a sharp turn to avoid my ramplate. We both failed our control rolls, meaning that I missed him by inches and he spun through his turn, losing speed and tire DP.

Which meant that he come to a near-stop at point blank of Bryan's car. Bryan had three Gauss Guns, a hi-res computer, a hot shot gunner and no modifiers for range or movement. His to-hit number was <2. He had Gary dead to rights.

HOWEVER - in the old Car Wars Compendium was the dreaded "2 and 12" rule. Quite simply, a roll of 12 was not an automatic hit, but a roll of 2 was an automatic miss.

Bryan rolled for the first Gauss Gun: 2

Second Gauss Gun: 2

Third Gauss Gun: 2

There was no joy in Midville, Casey had just struck out. Gary and I were howling with laughter while Bryan slowly turned red as he gripped the edge of the table. Gary and I stopped laughing and grabbed our drinks off the table in case it got flipped (again). Bryan wasn't moving or speaking, just staring at the fickle dice.

After a few tense minutes, Bryan finally spoke: Get. Out.

Huh?

Get. Out.

Um, that's my copy of the game.

Get. Out.

We called it a draw.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FredMSloniker posted:

Rule of cool. It immediately foreshadowed the Kraken. :krakken: I'd allow it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PhotoKirk posted:

We were playing Car Wars back in the old days, before the horrible 2.5 reboot. Arena combat, either Div. 100 or Unlimited, I can't remember.

Oh man, Car Wars! I loved that game!

...and I am reminded that I, too, have a Car Wars story, albeit a more community-minded one...

See, we were playing in an arena and using some rules expansions that I - having not played the game in some time - had not seen; this was okay, though, as it was a friendly match at the FLGS, and we were all basically just trying to have a good time is all. Eight players in the arena, last one standing wins. Simple, right?

Two things.

First is that the arena terrain had a river in it; there was a paved track that crossed said river at two points. At one crossing was a bridge; at another were a pair of ramps. Using the aforementioned rules with which I was unfamiliar, it had been determined that the ramps were angled such that a car going 55 mph over the ramps would successfully land on all four wheels on the other side.

Second is that one player - the guy playing Victor the charismatic leader type in our Star Wars game - had decided not to take a car into the Car Wars game; he had a boat, and cruised around the river shooting people.

Now, because he had a boat, he was typically several height levels beneath the cars (the river had pretty steep banks), and was thus immune to most of our weapons; we just couldn't get line-of-sight on him. Cheesy fucker. A few rounds into the game I was out of missiles, down to only my vulcan machine gun in the universal turret atop the car, and pretty heavily damaged; I was not, it was clear, going to win, or even come in the top three. But that fuckin' boat hadn't even been scratched yet, so dammit, if I was gonna go out, I was gonna hit that fuckin' boat first.

As I'm approaching the ramps I notice that the boat is within theoretical range of my gun if I could just get the angle on him, so I asked the table at large - "Say, according to these ramp rules... the speed I'm going when I hit the ramp determines the angle at which I fly through the air, right? How fast do I have to be going to flip three hundred and sixty degrees, so that I'm actually upside-down at the height of my arc, so that I can shoot 'down' at that boat before landing on the other side?"

Everyone got real quiet for a second... and then the entire game got up and started leafing through rulebooks, arguing match, and figuring out a way to make this happen. Even the guy I was trying to shoot. Because it may have been an insane notion, but it was a cool insane notion, and everyone wanted to see if it could possibly work.

If memory serves we finally agreed that I'd have to accelerate to like 150 mph and when I finally did land I'd face a massively difficult skill check to avoid wrecking myself. So I did these things, flipped upside down in the air like I was a Matchbox car on a loop-the-loop track section, shot at the boat, hit the boat, landed on the opposite ramp, blew three of my four tires and skidded to an eventual halt in the arena wall, decimating my vehicle and removing me from the match.

You know what? Worth it. 'Cause I was the only person to hit that fuckin' boat all match... and literally everyone at the table (and a few people who weren't even in the game) helped make it happen.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
See, if that was my group, one of my players would probably have said something more like "How slow do I have to go to not make it to the other side, and instead fall into the river and T-bone the boat?" And the boat player would have recoiled, and I would have given him a had skill check to pass, and one lucky roll later (they always get those when they need them) there would have been a murder-suicide. :v:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Bravo posted:

See, if that was my group, one of my players would probably have said something more like "How slow do I have to go to not make it to the other side, and instead fall into the river and T-bone the boat?" And the boat player would have recoiled, and I would have given him a had skill check to pass, and one lucky roll later (they always get those when they need them) there would have been a murder-suicide. :v:

This was the first thing that came to mind for me when I was reading the story. I was certain he was about to ask how fast/slow he'd have to go to just ram into the boat and sink it with his car.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Captain Bravo posted:

Man, I kind of almost want to play a game with a dickwad GM who's anal about weights and equipment, just so I could hire a ranger caddy. Little gnome pulling a golf bag filled with arrows, giving advice. "See how his skin is that shade of red, sir? I recommend Ice Arrows for this instance." "Thank you, caddy! That sounds like an excellent choice." "Very good, sir."

Wait, gently caress, what am I saying? I don't need a bad GM to do that, that's crazy. I can just do it anyway.

This is from a bit ago, but Captain Bravo was true to his word and there was a goblin caddy in the final battle of our last session.

He is now in our employ.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
They worked so goddamned hard at winning over that caddy, every single drat one of them, that I just couldn't say no. I didn't outright give him to the ranger, because that would be pretty overpowered, but they have, indeed, swayed the goblin caddy to their cause.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Had some fun close calls in a Savage Worlds game yesterday, set in the Pirates Of The Spanish Main setting.

Our rag-tag crew of struggling pirates had asked for a meeting with a governor, asking for money in return for his wife and her relative, whom we had not even kidnapped. The ungrateful bastard sent his bonecrushers instead, who took our captain and translator captive.

My character set out to rescue them (from a Dutch colony, without actually speaking a word of Dutch), and basically singlehandedly fended off and killed many of the thugs while a few NPC crew-members were bashing in the door of the "cell" (actually just a tavern room). Here's the thing, though: The captive captain and translator began breaking the door from their side as well. They succeeded, so well that the poor NPCs on the other side were crushed between the door and the opposing wall. One was knocked out and the other instantly died. Poor Jan, he will be remembered. My character left behind his bloody cutlass on Jan's dead hand. Maybe the stories will tell of how he fought and killed six men so his crew could escape.

This left me and the two unarmed prisoners against the goons, and we could hear the city guards approaching. We dispatched the thugs, snuck out the back, stole the guards' horses and rode into the night while avoiding gunfire. Our success was a miracle, since only the translator could actually ride, while the other two (and the unconscious crewmember) stayed on only thanks to incredible luck and several bennies. The most tense moment of the action-filled session that was actually "Will someone fall off their horse?". Would have been a pretty embarassing end for the plan, let me tell you.

Also, we tried out the Interludes system during the session. I really liked it, it's a nice addition to any Savage Worlds game. It gave me and another player chance to play some really neat character interaction, despite the characters not actually sharing a language. Speaking of which, here's a tip: Think twice before making making a character for a game that doesn't share at least one language with everyone in the party. It sounds interesting but it's mostly just a pain.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 18, 2012

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Suleman posted:

Speaking of which, here's a tip: Think twice before making making a character for a game that doesn't share at least one language with everyone in the party. It sounds interesting but it's mostly just a pain.

Unless it's a Wookiee and you happen to like making Wookiee noises. And really, who doesn't. :wookie:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dareon posted:

Unless it's a Wookiee and you happen to like making Wookiee noises. And really, who doesn't. :wookie:

I started making wookie noises to my infant yesterday, and she went wild over it. Between that and her wanting to eat nachos, I think everything is going to turn out alright :3:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Dareon posted:

I once played the D&D version of this, a dwarf who spoke in a drunken slur which only one of the other characters could decipher.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Whybird posted:

I once played the D&D version of this, a dwarf who spoke in a drunken slur which only one of the other characters could decipher.

That's awesome! Someday, when my forced two years rpg hiatus ends, I will steal this idea.

masam
May 27, 2010
Speaking of all this wookiee talk, I introduced my players to this thread yesterday, Specifically Divine Coffee Binge's Epic Star Wars Time and i went from running a pathfinder game to them building first level SWD20 characters. And while i'm excited about this because I have more faith in my ability to run a game set in a galaxy far far away, I also know that the system itself is...inherently flawed.

Here's hoping I can build something even one tenth as amazing as what DCB has graced our thread with. I'll keep you informed whether it's a trainwreck or something amazing!

Fautzo
Jan 3, 2012

u can read this i guess idc
So I made a Space Station 13 game that was basically a simplified, modified Shadowrun, only it took place as my gaming group was a crew of operatives sent to wreak havoc on a space station and steal the nuke disk from a captain so they could blow it up. i used the current ss13 map and everything, and I was the GM.

Now, my gaming group does not take tabletop rpg's seriously at all, we always try to make a comedy out of it, and our games always end in someone laughing so hard they shoot Rockstar out of their nose or something.

Anyways, I let the dudes choose their own stats from 18 points. A dude i'm going to call "Dude A" gives himself 12 charisma and 1 of everything else. The entire game he could not roll to save his life with charisma bullshit. He barely ever got over 3 or 4 hits.

At one point, the barman recognized one of the operatives and pulled his gun on him. The rest of the team went to the rescue. On the opposed test the recognized operative and barman tied, so they both missed, and it could have gone either way from here. He was almost dead, and if he got shot it would be the end.

I turn to Dude A.

:geno: : The fate of your fellow player is in your hands, talking is the only thing you were ever good at, the whole reason you got this gig with the syndicates anyways. Now could be your chance to shine, and show those pricks at the academy! Choose wisely, what will you say?

:smug: : Nah dude I'm good.

:geno: : You sure you don't wanna say anything? At all?

:smug: : nah I don't feel like it.

:cripes: *sigh* ok so -

:smug: : WAIT DUDE HOLD ON I WANNA SAY SOMETHING

:cripes: : What?

:smugbert: : "Your shoe's untied"

I went on to tell him that he was going to need 8 hits for this because it's loving stupid. He rolled 9 hits. He hadn't rolled above a 4 the entire game.

I just made the bartender look down, say "huh?", and skip his turn. Then everybody ganged up on the dude and it was RIP.

Everybody kind of got over it by then and the game kind of dissolved but god drat that was hilarious.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
One of my friends surprise invited one of his friends over to our Nobilis game night to "watch us roll characters." (His words.) I mean, sure, Nobilis character generation is interesting, but it's no spectator sport. And he previously tried to make our scheduled D&D session into a "D&D pool party" with a guy we hadn't met who didn't play D&D.

At first, I thought he was doing it because he didn't like D&D, but he's really into Nobilis. Then a little piece of the puzzle clicked into place when he asked us if we want to come over to his place and watch him play video games, and was offended when we weren't interested.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saeku posted:

One of my friends surprise invited one of his friends over to our Nobilis game night to "watch us roll characters." (His words.) I mean, sure, Nobilis character generation is interesting, but it's no spectator sport. And he previously tried to make our scheduled D&D session into a "D&D pool party" with a guy we hadn't met who didn't play D&D.

At first, I thought he was doing it because he didn't like D&D, but he's really into Nobilis. Then a little piece of the puzzle clicked into place when he asked us if we want to come over to his place and watch him play video games, and was offended when we weren't interested.

To be fair, I used to actually do that a lot when I was a kid. I'd go over to a friend's place to watch him play a game, or vice versa, and we'd just bullshit while the other person was playing. Is that abnormal?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nietzschean posted:

To be fair, I used to actually do that a lot when I was a kid. I'd go over to a friend's place to watch him play a game, or vice versa, and we'd just bullshit while the other person was playing. Is that abnormal?
It's basically a live Let's Play, which can be good or bad depending on the quality of conversation and game. I'd never begrudge anyone for not wanting to, though.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yawgmoth posted:

It's basically a live Let's Play, which can be good or bad depending on the quality of conversation and game. I'd never begrudge anyone for not wanting to, though.

I think this activity is what got me to enjoy Let's Plays later in life. I mean, I can understand why it would not be fun to be at a gathering as a non-participant if you're being ignored or the like, but I can definitely see the draw of being around people who are doing a thing that at least vaguely interests or entertains.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Captain Bravo posted:

They worked so goddamned hard at winning over that caddy, every single drat one of them, that I just couldn't say no. I didn't outright give him to the ranger, because that would be pretty overpowered, but they have, indeed, swayed the goblin caddy to their cause.

Our game is so cool even the NPCs want to be on our team.

merricat blackwood
May 10, 2009
When I was a younger gamer, I didn't know a lot of things.
One of the things I didn't know is that when the DM sets the time frame for the Vampire game he's running as 'early 1940's', location as 'somewhere in Poland' and specifies that players should make mortal characters who are 'ethnic'...
That means you should run the gently caress away from the game.

I learned quickly. Myself, my husband, and our friend Tyler (Jewish on his dad's side of the family) left approximately ten minutes after meeting the BBEG of the adventure - Dr. Mengele.

Yes, we were going to play vampires in Auschwitz... I have no idea how anyone would think this was a good idea to run this game. The three players who stayed said it was dirty and nasty and an absolute railroad AND they ended up not only becoming vampires but also being bitten by werewolves and becoming some kind of vamp/were hybrid, which, if you know the OLD World of Darkness metagame, isn't even how weres are made in the first place.

I've played in better games since. But my husband and I will occasionally look at each other during a lackluster game and say 'But are we Jewish Abominations in Auschwitz?' and it immediately makes any other game look better in comparison.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

AlphaDog posted:

It's really easy to set it up, because apart from the pile of pregens and the "only 4 people in the dungeon" rule, that's pretty much how you'd play Basic D&D if you'd never touched an RPG and just read the rulebook. I mean, poison attacks were literally "save or die", and the optional rule for poisons was "the DM predetermines how much damage to roll on a failed save".

Specifically, the Red Box does only one thing - dungeoncrawling - and does it pretty drat well for an ancient game.
That's so true. I once ran Labyrinth Lord in pretty much the same way. I had a streamlined version of the AD&D 1e random dungeon generator in one hand and then as the players went around the dungeon that I randomly generated on the spot I rolled up things like random monsters and room furnishings. When a PC died (and every player had at least 1 die) they rolled up a new one and the new character was found in the next room.

It was pretty hilarious due to the way the level 1 dungeon monster table is set up. The PC's ran into giant killer bees not on one but two occasions (the second time they knew to run away and torch everything behind them) and they ran into a bunch of gnomes for whom I rolled the best result on the reaction table, so suddenly the PCs were tailed by about a dozen gnomes who had gotten lost in the dungeon after a really wild party. Once one of the PCs died we immediately had one of the gnomes "level up" to become his character. At that point the tone of the game had gone completely wazoo, so I decided to throw in the Advanced Edition Companion for laughs, and one of the gnomes turned out to be a level 1 Gnome Cleric.

If there is a next time, I'll adapt all of your custom rules for it so as to make the game ever so slightly less unhinged. I might even prepare beforehand this time, but the random dungeon generator is a must because it occasionally results in some amazing things.

Edit: And next time, just to make use of all of my Labyrinth Lord related books, I'll throw in a few Mutants & Mazes style mutants and androids into the pile of pregens. Maybe even some monsters from Mutant Future and Realms of the Crawling Chaos.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 23, 2012

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

A long time ago, a bunch of bastards wrote a book called The Babylon Project. Not quite such a long time ago, I was dumb enough to run it. While it was mostly awkward and painful (The Babylon Project was a badly edited/written thing, with a non-existent index and a contents page sorted by chapter, among other sins). Nonetheless, the campaign did result in a few fun experiences:-

You Earned This!

One mechanic in the game is that you have experience for acting according to picked character traits, and it can give you a right there, right then, in-game benefit.

So picture the scene: It's a pre-written adventure, the one in the core-book, in fact, and, due to the needs of this adventure, the characters confront the head of a corporation (who is up to no good), who instantly summons some security (because he is rich and up to no good). The majority of the characters have normal, if somewhat interesting characters (A Narn clothier/broochmaker will become important in another tale). But one of them, a human of a soldiering bent, has the Impulsive character trait.

Thing is, this character's player does too, and his immediate response, unlike the rest, is to say "I jump out the window!". In many other situations, this would have been a smart move.

Considering said group was at the top of a futuristic high-rise (thus rising, as you'd expect, somewhat higher than normal), this was not, in fact, a good idea. Nonetheless, he earned his character point, and, due to spending that point almost immediately, he not only survived, but saved the day (caught an out-poking feature, beaned the guards from behind with a fire extinguisher).

Sometimes, You Just Can't Find The Words

Much, much later, on what would later prove to be the last session of a short campaign, the group were on an asteroid, and had just discovered that a) the asteroid was hollow, and b) that they weren't the first people to visit it. As they walked down a corridor that appeared to be carved into the asteroid, they encountered a dead spaceman. I luridly described the look of horror on his face (clearly seen through a smashed faceplate), right down to the wide, staring eyes.

At this point, my players interrupted me, having caught me in a logical fallacy: If this is a hard vacuum, how come he has eyeballs? I ummed, I ahhed, because, genuinely, I done hosed up. My eventual response was not my proudest moment...

"Errr... It was a warm hard vacuum?"

Kinda Hard To Fudge...

Later in that same session, the impulsive reaction of one of the players had led to the murder of a newly met sentient, and the near death of one of the other characters, both via the medium of PPG fire igniting volatile cold-sleep chemicals. The character in question could be saved, if someone could give him first aid. Routine situation in an RPG, right? Wrong. See, somebody not a million miles from the keyboard making this post hadn't double checked that somebody had a medical skill (sort of a must in any game), and so, when I asked that fateful question, I got nothing but embarassed looks in return...

...until one of my players, who had created a Narn clothier/jeweller/spy (think Garak) tremulously said "Er... I can make broaches!"

Not much you can say to that, really, and the game died very shortly thereafter...

Finally, one brief mention before I head off into the internet wilds again...

Strangely Appropriate

Only about two weeks ago, I ran a session of Zombie Smackdown! (the Wrasslin' supplement to the famous All Flesh Must Be Eaten). The reaction was pretty positive, the players engaged, and cheesy fun was had by all. Why was the session notable? for two reasons. The first were the characters. Foxy Fro, the blaxploitation female wrassler; El Gato Lujoso (The Fancy Cat), the luchadore; Lu Bu, the fat japanese power wrestler; and Johnny Awesome.

Johnny Awesome was, basically, Randy "Macho Man" Savage in his coke-fuelled years. The beatdown of suddenly zombified (and hulked out) wrestler Tokyo Divebomb was punctuated with puns like:-

"Johnny Awesome's really feeling that blow, John!"
"I know, the Tokyo Divebomb is-"
"-No, no, John... he's really feeling that blow!"

But the crowning moment of the session came at the end. Johnny Awesome, with the aid of his (All-Heel) team, kicked righteous rear end, and I picked his theme tune based on mine and JA's player's mutual love of 80s rock... "The Man on the Macho Mountain" (to the tune of "Man on the Silver Mountain", by Rainbow).

After the session, I joked that the song could probably be changed to be his theme forevermore, and then... we both discovered that, for the character and the theme, just that one word change was enough. It doesn't seem like much, but sometimes, little things like that really make your session.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JamieTheD posted:

and so, when I asked that fateful question, I got nothing but embarassed looks in return...

...until one of my players, who had created a Narn clothier/jeweller/spy (think Garak) tremulously said "Er... I can make broaches!"
My GM in a very houseruled MSHRPG had a tendency of having everyone roll for at least a couple random powers, and also just putting us in situations with no real consideration for how/if we could accomplish the tasks needed. I had a tendency of rolling complete poo poo on the random powers charts (some people got Time Stop or a breath weapon made of plasma, I get poo poo like Dominate Plants). This happened exceptionally often with my shadow mage, who rolled for his random spell and got Summon Rat. It's not a magic rat, or a smart rat, and I only have basic command of the rat. I can't see through its eyes or anything useful. So whenever we got into one of those "well what now"? situations, I'd say "well, I can summon a rat!" It got to the point of being a running gag, and other characters who had been grouped with him would say "too bad Kerrick isn't here, he could summon a rat." in those situations.

And then one session we were in a desert (keeping the party cool by the shadow mage's shadows) and we met some giant spider people. Rather unfriendly too, because their usual food was getting scarce. Their primary meal? Rats. Everyone turned to me at once. "I can summon a rat!! :woop:" I got the whole spiderpeople people to help us by conjuring up a large supply of rats for their dining pleasure.

Definitely one of the more amusing moments in that character's life.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 24, 2012

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

D'ahh, soddit, I promised some friends to tell this story today, might as well give a two for one deal:

70s Derail Sandwich

In possibly the guiltiest pleasure I've ever had (I still feel pangs of guilt talking about this one), I'd like to talk about how we broke one of our GMs. The GM, let's call her Sam, had lovingly come up with a plot for Stuperpowers, and decided to run it during the yearly charity 24-hour roleplay session (No, not 24 hours for a single game, it was, I recall, 4-6 hour slots). The characters were largely unimportant, except for the villains (who I shall describe in a moment), myself (who had the only offensive power of the group: Drop 60 Foot Toilet From Sky), a player we'll call Cody (Give 70s Hairdo), and another we'll call John (Turn Things Plaid, not that it mattered)

Anyways, the loving plot began with a robbery of the First National Bank by two insanely powerful supervillains: The Amazing Reflecto (you hit him, it hurts you!), and... Elvis. That's right, the King went bad in this plot, and we quickly discovered his superpower when I dropped a 60 Ft toilet on his head... and he was completely unharmed. It was pretty obvious we weren't meant to beat them in this first encounter, but Sam, despite being experienced in the ways of the group, wasn't really counting on Roleplayer Logic (TM).

The Amazing Reflecto was the first to fall, via the cunning expedient of John's character... nutting his fist. That the GM let this pass is perhaps the first bad sign. That she was looking distinctly uncomfortable should perhaps have clued us in that she wasn't quite ready to do this...

And then there was Elvis. Elvis, being the King, couldn't die. So the following chain of logic was employed:-

ME: Sam, Elvis is Elvis because of, y'know, his hair, his voice, his clothes, all that, right?
SAM: Uh-huh.
ME: Sooooooo, if anything was wrong, then he'd just be an Elvis Impersonator, and not actually be immortal, right?
SAM: Yeeeeeesssss... [not seeing where this was going]
ME: Cody, give him a 70s hairdo, I'll drop a toilet on his head.

At this point, Sam looked at me. At her notes. At Cody, at John... and then she quietly squeaked something out, left the room, and... didn't come back. To say that we felt bad when we realised was an understatement along the lines of "Quite a few people had boo-boos at Khmer Rouge".

Why Hackmaster 2E Gets A Bad Rap (Undeservedly)

Hackmaster 2E is, for some reason, widely regarded as unplayable RAW. I don't actually think this is quite fair. Why? Because of the one time I did so, without all the Hacklopedias too (I didn't understand, at the time, quite how similar to 2E it was, monster book wise, and only had the Index [A-F]). Somehow, I managed to run an entertaining game, and the RAW of Hackmaster was a lot of the reason why...

Most of the characters were fairly standard, but one, played by a chap we'll call Flin, was memorable because he decided to go random for the quirks, and rolled Obese, Balding, Stench (or something similar) and... A second personality. In times of stress, this 23 year old male thief truly, truly believed he was... an adolescent female Pixie-Fairie, wings, under 3Lb weight and svelte 6-10 inch figure and all. Naturally, this led to problems, especially when being chased by an Orcish tribe, finding themselves at a cliff-edge, and having to waste valuable time holding Flin's thief from attempting to "Fly to safety" (It was also a mixed alignment party)

But then, in a jungle continent plagued by Drow with airships (complete with Spider Demi-Gawd), the other glorious feature of Hackmaster's randomness came into play with the treasure. Flin had found, in the random treasure of his most recent kill... A cloak of flying, a +4 dagger, and... a ring of Chain Fireball IV. For those who don't know Hackmaster 2E, Fireballs are a proud and glorious thing. Just in the spell list, there are something like 12-15 varieties of Fireball spell, and some varieties (like Chain Fireball, which does what it says on the tin) only exist in magic items.

The rest of the party was sort of in trouble, what with the Drow Spider Demi-Gawd being somewhat tough, and a balloon-galleon with cannons, when... Flin cut loose, chain fireballing the galleon from the sky, and powerdiving the Demi-Gawd with his +4 dagger for the nastiest case of back-stab you ever did see (Flin's character crawled out from under the spider.) From that moment on, when somebody went "Full Pixie Fairy", you knew poo poo was going down...

EDIT: And yes, the moment Flin started describing this, everyone hummed "Ride of the Valkyries"

EDIT THE SECOND: Later in the week, I'll tell you of another player's memorable set of shenanigans. Suffice to say, it's a kender-story, and involves the Disks of Mishakal...

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 25, 2012

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

JamieTheD posted:

D'ahh, soddit, I promised some friends to tell this story today, might as well give a two for one deal:

70s Derail Sandwich

In possibly the guiltiest pleasure I've ever had (I still feel pangs of guilt talking about this one), I'd like to talk about how we broke one of our GMs. The GM, let's call her Sam, had lovingly come up with a plot for Stuperpowers, and decided to run it during the yearly charity 24-hour roleplay session (No, not 24 hours for a single game, it was, I recall, 4-6 hour slots). The characters were largely unimportant, except for the villains (who I shall describe in a moment), myself (who had the only offensive power of the group: Drop 60 Foot Toilet From Sky), a player we'll call Cody (Give 70s Hairdo), and another we'll call John (Turn Things Plaid, not that it mattered)

Anyways, the loving plot began with a robbery of the First National Bank by two insanely powerful supervillains: The Amazing Reflecto (you hit him, it hurts you!), and... Elvis. That's right, the King went bad in this plot, and we quickly discovered his superpower when I dropped a 60 Ft toilet on his head... and he was completely unharmed. It was pretty obvious we weren't meant to beat them in this first encounter, but Sam, despite being experienced in the ways of the group, wasn't really counting on Roleplayer Logic (TM).

The Amazing Reflecto was the first to fall, via the cunning expedient of John's character... nutting his fist. That the GM let this pass is perhaps the first bad sign. That she was looking distinctly uncomfortable should perhaps have clued us in that she wasn't quite ready to do this...

And then there was Elvis. Elvis, being the King, couldn't die. So the following chain of logic was employed:-

ME: Sam, Elvis is Elvis because of, y'know, his hair, his voice, his clothes, all that, right?
SAM: Uh-huh.
ME: Sooooooo, if anything was wrong, then he'd just be an Elvis Impersonator, and not actually be immortal, right?
SAM: Yeeeeeesssss... [not seeing where this was going]
ME: Cody, give him a 70s hairdo, I'll drop a toilet on his head.

At this point, Sam looked at me. At her notes. At Cody, at John... and then she quietly squeaked something out, left the room, and... didn't come back. To say that we felt bad when we realised was an understatement along the lines of "Quite a few people had boo-boos at Khmer Rouge".

I've never heard of this system before, but by the sound of it, the fault seems to be hers. It's obviously meant for dumb fun and silly-creative problem-solving, why would you lovingly construct a complex plot for a game like that? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

My GM in a very houseruled MSHRPG had a tendency of having everyone roll for at least a couple random powers, and also just putting us in situations with no real consideration for how/if we could accomplish the tasks needed. I had a tendency of rolling complete poo poo on the random powers charts (some people got Time Stop or a breath weapon made of plasma, I get poo poo like Dominate Plants). This happened exceptionally often with my shadow mage, who rolled for his random spell and got Summon Rat. It's not a magic rat, or a smart rat, and I only have basic command of the rat. I can't see through its eyes or anything useful. So whenever we got into one of those "well what now"? situations, I'd say "well, I can summon a rat!" It got to the point of being a running gag, and other characters who had been grouped with him would say "too bad Kerrick isn't here, he could summon a rat." in those situations.

And then one session we were in a desert (keeping the party cool by the shadow mage's shadows) and we met some giant spider people. Rather unfriendly too, because their usual food was getting scarce. Their primary meal? Rats. Everyone turned to me at once. "I can summon a rat!! :woop:" I got the whole spiderpeople people to help us by conjuring up a large supply of rats for their dining pleasure.

Definitely one of the more amusing moments in that character's life.

I have this problem too with my Dark Heresy group, who, left to their own devices to come up with Rogue Trader characters presented me with the challenge of making a campaign for 5 near identical Arch Militants and a Senechal who only picked that class because of the Inferno Pistol and proceeded to act like he was an Arch Militant too. Any challenges I throw their way have to involve their starting skills because their spending pattern is Ballistic Skill -> Sound Constitution -> Rapid Reload/Quick Draw/etc.