Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Liesmith posted:

This is a complete aside from calling you a retard but a very common houserule is that both penalties and bonuses are capped at +/-60. I think it's a really good idea for obvious reasons. It makes the game a lot less bullshit imo.

Isn't this actually in one of the books? I forget which one, but I'm like 90% (base 30+60 bonus) sure I've seen this in print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Liesmith posted:

Even Dark Heresy doesn't give a gently caress. If you have a Rosette and can't parlay that poo poo into serious dough then you deserve everything that is coming to you.

We've been playing our current DH campaign for six months (granted we've had some breaks in there due to life stuff) and my players still don't have a Rosette. It's pretty funny to me when kingcom makes and offhand statement about how full-auto is 'only more useful when your dealing with people with minimal armour and your using early game equipment like an autogun' and it's like, yup, that basically defines our entire game. Guess that is why we are enjoying the Black Crusade combat rules over the DH ones!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Liesmith posted:

Wrong. Full auto gives you +30 at half range, and I will see your accurate and raise you motion detector, an inexpensive weapon upgrade that puts both my full auto and your single shot at +40. Except that in my case, that means I get +5 hits, which I can spread out to all the enemies in the line of fire, whereas in your case, you get one hit. which probably gets dodged. way to go, champ.

I put the half-range comment in brackets to indicate that it was a seperate but linked statement that can be removed from the sentence and still make sense. I was pointing this out as accurate weapons, like the hunting rifle, tend to have far greater ranges than their full auto counter-parts, like the autogun. This allows you to engage in the same environment as the autogun and reliably have a +10 to hit while the autogun may be needed to advance.

Do you mean a motion predictor? I dont know where the motion detector is, perhaps you could show me where it is in a Dark Heresy supplement (preferrably with a page number)?.

Also assuming your team is working together you can very easily burn dodges as the players can work to gang up making sure those with accurate weapons get the big one hit shot. In fact it can work well with someone with full auto to burn the dodges and the accurate weapon to kill the target. Each has their use.

Liesmith posted:

also why are you tolkien about early game equipment? What early game acolyte has an accurate weapon? They have some bullshit stubber. you say yourself that full auto works better against poorly armored enemies, like, for example, everyone a tier one acolyte will face. By lategame, they aren't worried about the cost of their heavy bolter or hellgun, which is going to chew through anything you throw at them much faster than your vindicare assassin's rifle, because it hits over and over, has high pen, and IS MORE LIKELY TO HIT AT ALL.

The assassin class has the option to start with a hunting rifle for example, similiarly the scum can start with an autogun.

With regards to late game (not talking Ascension here as that games a big pile of insanity for many reasons) assuming your not doing anything special there are still fairly weighty costs. A heavy bolter costs 2,000 thrones and every single full auto attack costs the player 160 thrones. A rank 8 assassin only makes 216 thrones a month. Saving up for that weapon is a big cost and even greater is the 160 throne fee, almost a months salary to fire it. Thats a fairly big investment, particularly if you can get away with something cheaper.

The hellgun is definitely a worthy investment particularly the D'laku pattern hellgun that actually allows full auto fire with pen 4. It s fairly reliable at that point being able to replace a bolter and being easier to get (although the initial investment is a bit greater). Definitely a solid weapon that overtakes lower level equipment despite doing less damage than an autogun.

Mikael Kreoss posted:

Ascension stuff

I am not, and was not talking about Ascension, its a whole big bag of silly regardless of the ruleset used.

Liesmith posted:

This is a complete aside from calling you a retard but a very common houserule is that both penalties and bonuses are capped at +/-60. I think it's a really good idea for obvious reasons. It makes the game a lot less bullshit imo.

Good point and well spotted! I had not considered that but it only reduces it to an 80% for a character with bare minimal Ballistic Skill. If they get a 30 (which is very reasonable and usually dead average) they can increas this to a 90%.

Liesmith posted:

Man I forgot to even mention righteous fury. When your first response is to fire your heavy bolter at a dude, you are gonna RF at least once EVERY SESH. By midgame you are getting a righteous fury every time you shoot at all. Maybe stacking them into the sky. Meanwhile your assassin with his accurate weapon is gonna get a righteous fury against one mook one time, and thats it for this adventure.

Yea the unlimited Deathwatch style attacks definitely was fairly funny when the game was first released. Well with accurate every dice can critical too its not as likely but thankfully all 3 dice add to the same hit. The righteous fury as I describe is somewhat of a personal issue where you either immediately kill someone or you hope for a stun to murder them next time. Not sure what I directly prefer.

Ashcans posted:

We've been playing our current DH campaign for six months (granted we've had some breaks in there due to life stuff) and my players still don't have a Rosette. It's pretty funny to me when kingcom makes and offhand statement about how full-auto is 'only more useful when your dealing with people with minimal armour and your using early game equipment like an autogun' and it's like, yup, that basically defines our entire game. Guess that is why we are enjoying the Black Crusade combat rules over the DH ones!

Glad your enjoying it. If your playing a certain style of game the Black Crusade rules can definitely enhance whats going on. I dont think my players have ever gotten a Rosette until they hit level cap, I prefer the Inquisitor as a removed entity and players trying to do what they can to go without any personal authority but what they can talk their way into having.

As I may need to repeat, I'm not saying one system is better or worse, they just do things differently and each support different playstyles.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 19, 2012

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kingcom posted:

With regards to late game (not talking Ascension here as that games a big pile of insanity for many reasons) assuming your not doing anything special there are still fairly weighty costs. A heavy bolter costs 2,000 thrones and every single full auto attack costs the player 160 thrones. A rank 8 assassin only makes 216 thrones a month. Saving up for that weapon is a big cost and even greater is the 160 throne fee, almost a months salary to fire it. Thats a fairly big investment, particularly if you can get away with something cheaper.
Why the gently caress are your PCs being limited by their salary? Jesus Christ extort some dudes, pick up some booze and get the guard at an armory drunk and seduce him, set up an organized crime smuggling ring to get money, prevent heretics from profiting from the market, and get intel, whatever. God.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Zereth posted:

Why the gently caress are your PCs being limited by their salary? Jesus Christ extort some dudes, pick up some booze and get the guard at an armory drunk and seduce him, set up an organized crime smuggling ring to get money, prevent heretics from profiting from the market, and get intel, whatever. God.

:shrug: What can I say, the games I've been in and run people have not wanted to do things like that. They're open to it but be it through fear, drive or whatever keeps a PC hunting after the plot they haven't really tried to rob an armory or setup an organized crime ring (admittedly never had a scum player be that kind of scum). They play Rogue Trader if they want that kind of gameplay experience

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Hi, to back up Liesmith's recent posting spree: ask me about killing a squiggoth with a boltpistol by semi autobursting it in the eye and rolling RFs on top of RFs ontop of RFs until my GM said "Hey you somehow lodged the bolt shell in his brain and blew it to shreds he topples over. Landspeeder driver roll pilot to not get crushed by dead squiggoth"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
As I said earlier in the thread, the DH income rules are a clusterfuck and were meant as simulationism, not something that should guide what gear your PCs have access to.

Also, critfishing is only a combat shotgun away, even in DH. There is also a sawed-off shotgun (basically) in the Inquisitor's Handbook :allears:

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

CisMaleTheSensitiv posted:

Hi, to back up Liesmith's recent posting spree: ask me about killing a squiggoth with a boltpistol by semi autobursting it in the eye and rolling RFs on top of RFs ontop of RFs until my GM said "Hey you somehow lodged the bolt shell in his brain and blew it to shreds he topples over. Landspeeder driver roll pilot to not get crushed by dead squiggoth"

I once did something between two and three hundred wounds to a Greater Daemon of Tzeentch with a pair of power klaws. It just ceased to exist in shame.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kingcom posted:

I put the half-range comment in brackets to indicate that it was a seperate but linked statement that can be removed from the sentence and still make sense. I was pointing this out as accurate weapons, like the hunting rifle, tend to have far greater ranges than their full auto counter-parts, like the autogun.

How often do you engage in combat with people over 300 yards away?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

this was RFs on top of RFs on top of RFs of like two shots though! How many times did you swing on the daemon?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Liesmith posted:

Pretty much this right here. Only time this happens reliably I think is only war where I'm right now in KSAF's game shooting dudes from like 270metres up with a storm bolter. Marksman is the greatest talent ever.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

kingcom posted:

:shrug: What can I say, the games I've been in and run people have not wanted to do things like that. They're open to it but be it through fear, drive or whatever keeps a PC hunting after the plot they haven't really tried to rob an armory or setup an organized crime ring (admittedly never had a scum player be that kind of scum). They play Rogue Trader if they want that kind of gameplay experience

If your players are relying purely on their stated incomes they are hosed. Like that Rank 8 Assassin? If he eats synthetic gruel and sleeps on a pallet under the bridge, he is still going to be blowing almost his entire income on staying alive (seriously, I think that the lowest possible levels of food and shelter in the book add up to 5-6 thrones a day). So forget buying any new equipment at all.

Me and my players went through this when we started, and the only characters who can afford to stay alive at starting ranks are the Tech Priest and the Cleric. Everyone else runs out of money for food before the end of the month. So either they have to hustle some extra cash, or as a GM you have have to comp them stuff to keep them going. Now if you, as a GM, don't want to give them weapons and ammo as part of that comp, fine, but lets not pretend that the provided income is remotely feasible for characters to rely on.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Yea it leads to situations like that, Im not sure how I feel about it to be honest. The one in a million shot that breaks everything particularly if its the edge of your seat 'we are going to die' type of scenario but then you have the infinite damage melta-bomb seen in Deathwatch. Theres strengths and weaknesses to both but ultimately I think a 3rd system needs to be implemented

Hodgepodge posted:

As I said earlier in the thread, the DH income rules are a clusterfuck and were meant as simulationism, not something that should guide what gear your PCs have access to.

Depends what type of experience you run your game as. If your running the survival horror type of game where the players used as much as canaries as actual investigation teams (given how terrible starting characters can be it seems to support that), the emphasis on random stats etc the game has more in common with Paranoia than say D&D (to use a very broad comparison). Giving the players scraps for them to try and claw their way to survival, running from the demonic abominations in the dark they are sent to investigate really works well.

If your wanting the heroes of the imperium game gunning down heretics and aliens its ultimately lacking there, Deathwatch highlighted how the system struggles to cope with high level combat and trying to even out the general scope of things means that Black Crusade rules actually do come in handy (though not without flaws itself). If you want a far more heroic style of game, increasing the income and general resources of the players can help to ensure that.

Hodgepodge posted:

Also, critfishing is only a combat shotgun away, even in DH. There is also a sawed-off shotgun (basically) in the Inquisitor's Handbook :allears:

Heh yea the Vanaheim is very scary for something like that.

Ashcans posted:

Now if you, as a GM, don't want to give them weapons and ammo as part of that comp, fine, but lets not pretend that the provided income is remotely feasible for characters to rely on.

I've always treated the income as pure spending money, all living expenses/transport/etc are paid for.

Liesmith posted:

Not hugely often but players have setup many ambushes and the like with a sniper in the tower. I was more refering to 100m engagements at best, maximum range of a autogun for example. If your at 75 your half range for a hunting rifle but out of half range for an autogun, I was pointing out the flexibility of one over the other.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 19, 2012

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I think my favorite RF memory was in Deathwatch, rolled a 3 or something on my Heavy Bolter so I actually got more successes than I had bullets, then got righteous fury on three or four of my hits and ended up doing 90 damage each to three different Killa Kans, instantly ending a bossfight

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ashcans posted:

If your players are relying purely on their stated incomes they are hosed. Like that Rank 8 Assassin? If he eats synthetic gruel and sleeps on a pallet under the bridge, he is still going to be blowing almost his entire income on staying alive (seriously, I think that the lowest possible levels of food and shelter in the book add up to 5-6 thrones a day). So forget buying any new equipment at all.

Me and my players went through this when we started, and the only characters who can afford to stay alive at starting ranks are the Tech Priest and the Cleric. Everyone else runs out of money for food before the end of the month. So either they have to hustle some extra cash, or as a GM you have have to comp them stuff to keep them going. Now if you, as a GM, don't want to give them weapons and ammo as part of that comp, fine, but lets not pretend that the provided income is remotely feasible for characters to rely on.

The scum should get free food from dumpster diving in the mutant tunnels

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Good morning guys, thanks for :spergin: out about how BC rules own so I didn't have to.

Liesmith posted:

The scum should get free food from dumpster diving in the mutant tunnels

If a scum player isn't at least casually stealing things every session, I don't even know what could be wrong with them. That's not even getting into stuff like forging requisition papers to get some flak armor or whatever. As agents of the Inquisition, acolytes totally have a license to ill (even though they won't get pulled out of the fire at all if they get caught) for the greater good glory of the Imperium.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
As I also mentioned, if they really have to, any Trade or Perform skill automatically bumps a PC out of the worst income brackets.

quote:

I've always treated the income as pure spending money, all living expenses/transport/etc are paid for.

There are actually rules in the IH for lodgings and the cost of interplanetary travel, though. The point isn't that you need to scrape up months of income just to rot in the hold of a pilgrim ship (which is what the boil down to), it's that your Inquisitor is providing you with resources far beyond your character's wildest dreams just by getting you to the job. I can see the use of the income rules for Ranks 1-3, when you still haven't proven yourself more useful than the next handful of random people pulled off the street, though. Once you've got a Bolt Pistol, all the income rules are telling you is that you can't afford to use this poo poo on your own.

(Also the rules flat out tell you that your character will probably get bonus pay for earning medals and moving up the ranks in the Guard or whatever organization they are part of in their day job. But it doesn't tell you how much, and it's pretty silly to imagine a crime lord or a Magos actually getting nothing but the petty pay increases dictated by the income chart.)

edit:

quote:

Depends what type of experience you run your game as. If your running the survival horror type of game where the players used as much as canaries as actual investigation teams (given how terrible starting characters can be it seems to support that), the emphasis on random stats etc the game has more in common with Paranoia than say D&D (to use a very broad comparison). Giving the players scraps for them to try and claw their way to survival, running from the demonic abominations in the dark they are sent to investigate really works well.

Sure, but that boils down to saying that you're meant to adjust access to gear to reflect the type of game you are running- which I think is the case. The income rules might work as bare-bones minimums if you want that, but they function better as flavour than actual rules.

(I actually think that a bunch of the rules in DH are meant to create that sort of game, but only up to Rank 4 or so.)

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 19, 2012

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

income stuff

Yea absolutely, Im not saying use the income system and ONLY the income system, theres rewards for ranking up, trade skills, offers to take things from Inquisitorial armories but I don't think at any point should 160 thrones become something that is trivial.

Hodgepodge posted:

Sure, but that boils down to saying that you're meant to adjust access to gear to reflect the type of game you are running- which I think is the case. The income rules might work as bare-bones minimums if you want that, but they function better as flavour than actual rules.

(I actually think that a bunch of the rules in DH are meant to create that sort of game, but only up to Rank 4 or so.)

Running this style of game I've never run into the problem of needing to adjust access to gear in any large scale way. Maybe an item or two but nothing broad. The key example the income system being tied directly to how players acquire gear is bolt weapons. Take a Bolt Pistol, 150 thrones, really cheap for a Pen 4 Tearing weapon but the cost of acquiring the thing and firing it regularly are two different issues. The bolt pistol allows a really early weapon choice for dealing with big threats but it means the player is forced to use up a valuable resource to get out of the tough situation.

I found I can reliably go until about rank 7 before everything gets wonky but thats mostly as a result of all skill checks running on a 70% minimum success chance. Honestly though I don't think any of the systems handles high level characters remotely well, Deathwatch demonstrates how it all falls apart in the Dark Heresy style combat and Black Crusade...well its already kinda insane but I guess thats the point of the system anyway.

I assume most people here don't run the survival horror/investigation style game? If so what type of games do you run? What are the major opponents, challanges and NPCs you deal with? What kind of basis for character gear do you use (i.e. what is a Rank 5 acolyte equipped with in your games)?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

kingcom posted:

I assume most people here don't run the survival horror/investigation style game? If so what type of games do you run? What are the major opponents, challanges and NPCs you deal with? What kind of basis for character gear do you use (i.e. what is a Rank 5 acolyte equipped with in your games)?

I like to think of my game as a romantic comedy.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

We do some alright investigation and stuff, but it ranges from horror to comedy to Commissar Cain holovid. We've been playing together in the setting for 5+ years, so we're pretty inured to spaceships made of skulls and whatnot. It's mostly just escalating humorous disbelief and terror at how incredibly awful situations get, and then trying to scrape out of them with grand actions that are less heroic and more desperate.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
I just had a quick question. Are there any drawbacks to the use of biotics? Like, is there any established way for an enemy to shut your biotics down? Or are they just straight superior to having regular body parts and the only drawback is an experience cost?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

We do some alright investigation and stuff, but it ranges from horror to comedy to Commissar Cain holovid. We've been playing together in the setting for 5+ years, so we're pretty inured to spaceships made of skulls and whatnot. It's mostly just escalating humorous disbelief and terror at how incredibly awful situations get, and then trying to scrape out of them with grand actions that are less heroic and more desperate.

Do you run any sort of continuous campaign or is it just kind of a wacky misadventures to next scenario situation?

kthegreat posted:

I just had a quick question. Are there any drawbacks to the use of biotics? Like, is there any established way for an enemy to shut your biotics down? Or are they just straight superior to having regular body parts and the only drawback is an experience cost?

Bionics? Yea theres some psychic powers than can shut them down and some weapons that do that too but those arent the most common things around.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

kingcom posted:

Do you run any sort of continuous campaign or is it just kind of a wacky misadventures to next scenario situation?

We've had several, and they're all "continuing" campaigns; we haven't been playing the same campaign for years on end, if that's what you mean. The longer of these games go for about 6 months to a year. I've been in one game in my entire life that actually had an ending, and I'm pretty much cool with that. Sometimes we'll just show up to play and be like, "Hey guys who wants to drop D&D and start playing Wraith??? OKAY!"

Dark Heresy gave us, among other things, a Dirty Dozen style game in which our group was an expendable Imperial Guard squad of gently caress-ups who got tapped by an Inquisitor to take care of her goals in active war zones that we just happened to be fighting in. If Only War is good, I may pitch going back to that story with the new system.

We've had a lot of Rogue Trader games, but they never seem to go for very long for some reason. That's what we're playing right now, but we're specifically being less sandboxy by being down on our luck and having a lovely ship that isn't even warp capable (I'm a pirate captain, not actually a rogue trader at all despite the class) in hopes that the lack of infinite freedom will help give it some focus.

Deathwatch is super fun for a couple months before being a superman who can't do normal stuff gets old.

We only did Black Crusade once, and it was pretty satisfying. We played DH characters at first, then remade them as BC characters after being sufficiently corrupted (the guys who wanted to play Space Marines just dropped their original human characters).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I think one of the books says you can't righteous fury a righteous fury. Though I do recall the day our guardsman blew up an Ork looted tank with a bolt pistol and an incredibly lucky roll that kept on giving to about 70+ damage. Nowadays we use the Black Crusade/Only War crit system, with the upside that it actually gets us to use the lower levels of the critical table every once in a while.

We've ran quite a few different games of 40K since Dark Heresy came out, mostly different campaigns building on one another with varied scopes. We had some of the default poor Inquisitorial puppets campaign, a 'Gangs of Sibellus' game styled after Necromunda, a schizophrenic Rogue Trader campaign where they cheated everyone and then accidentaly caused a black crusade to fall on Calixis, an epic Chaos game where they were some of the lords of said crusade and vied for control of it (mostly politics and strategy), an A-Team game where they played Ascension level characters and Space Marines (including some of the PCs from the earlier games) trying to stop the almost victorious crusade(but seriously, gently caress Vindicares), and finally we closed the whole narrative with a Battle of Scintilla using Only War. It was ridiculous in all the best ways.

There really is a lot of range you can go with 40K as a setting and a system, even though both are a frigging mess. In some games we hardly did any shooting, in others the PCs had to steal food and ammo to survive, in others they blew up planets accidentaly due to their harebrained schemes.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kthegreat posted:

there are a lot of things that will gently caress up bionics. anything that sets off the haywire effect, for example

unless you are tolkien about putting xenos parts into you, because they arent mechanical. IN that case the only drawbacks are having a hard time putting them in, having a good chance that you will be controlled by the hive swarm or something because of your tyranid arm, and having the inquisition not be willing to take the chance of leaving you alive

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I have run two separate DH campaigns with my group.

The first one was when we were getting set up on the system, and started out with variations on a couple of the premade adventures. We started with a survival/horror variation of the startup adventure where a Heretek is turning poor people into servitor-zombies. Once the party got out of that, I moved them to an intrigue-based game investigating a new cult of the emperor (if you've read the premades I stole a bunch of ideas from Rejoice For You Are True for it) that involved a lot of sneaking, lying, and deception. Once they busted that up, it spooled into a long cross-world investigational sequence tracing the drugs the cult had been using, and ended up leading them to investigating a feral world where part of the local garrison had gone off the deep end. They had to determine which elements were still loyal and then they decided that rather than getting backup they should expose the traitors and lead the loyal elements against them in a garrison civil war. That was pretty much where it ended because I had to make up lots of rules for equipment on the fly and it got really messy. So the campaign was basically one part horror, one part intrigue, three parts investigation and one part oh-god-what-are-you-doing. At the end they were at Rank 4 maybe, and had gotten a hold of some decent equipment and armor (bolters, carapace, no heavy weapons or anything though).

The second round we have been playing since May, and is three parts investigation and one part combat. Basically the party started out invesigating some weapon smuggling, and is now unraveling the whole smuggling operation by trying to track the ships it uses and find their contacts and resources at each point. Technically no combat is required, but they end up in skirmishes sometimes. If they keep at it they will discover the DARK SECRET of the smuggling ring and the game will swing more into horror/survival when they reach the smugglers base. They are currently Rank 2 and I plan for them to reach around Rank 4 for the conclusion.

Pretty much all the NPCs are regular humans taken from one of the bestiaries; scum and gangers and so on, guardsmen for more serious muscle. Named/Ranked opponents usually are tweaked off some base profile (I use the Amarinthian Syndicate entries as a base for the smuggler officers/leads). If there is an 'end boss' going on it will be something with additional concerns, like a Heretek, rogue Psyker, ranking IG Officer with commensurate equipment, or some sort of Xenos element.

Player equipment is handled in a couple ways. First, they can get anything they can find and buy themselves. If they want to run a hustle to get together cash for a bolter, cool, they can do that. Second, they have regular opportunities to communicate with their handler, and they can request equipment at that point if they can justify it for the mission. Because they are meant to be investigating, it's hard for them to request special/rare equipment (their handler is just an Administratum dude, so he has limited resources as well). In the past they have been given equipment for surveillance and investigation like combeads and stummers and so on, and if they want they'll be set up with basic lodging. They also have specific allowances - the campaign involves tracking smugglers across the sector, so they can request passage to other planets/stations, for instance, and cna get access to ground transport on a world if needed. The final thing is that I will toss them some loot if I think they're going to need it. In a recent session they decided not to double back to their handler, and instead press on with their investigation so as to stay hot on the trail - that means they missed an opportunity to resupply, so I'll probably make sure that they have a chance to get more ammo and repair equipment.

Dedhed
Feb 27, 2005

moths posted:

Ork theology owns. Is there any talk anywhere of an ork-centric RPG? There ought to be.

This is an old post but I just found a good resource.

Gorkamorka

It's an old specialist game, but it has a really cool fluff book that did a great job walking that tightrope between making a interesting complex(ish) society for the orks while keeping it fundamentally Orky.

GW released the rules for free a while back, they were linked in the specialist game thread so I'll link them here.

Setting book
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1340011_GorkaMorka_-_Da_Uvver_Book.pdf

Rules Book
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1340010_GorkaMorka_-_Da_Roolz.pdf

Dedhed fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 22, 2012

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I think I might have missed the relevant post(s) in this or any other 40K Roleplay thread here, but can anyone give me any advice on how to create loot drops like in the Dawn of War games for Deathwatch?
The stuff in the books is okay, but I always like trying my hand at making unique loot and the rules are a little thin on making stuff up. Unless one of the other books that I don't have has those rules.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

My players rolled a Haunted Ship in their complications table, so I decided to make it a Chaos ship they knew from the past campaign that was repaired by the Skaelen-Har and sent back into service after purification, though a few lingering ghosts remained.

Last session they had to deal with a demonic invasion after a sorcerer did a ritual during a boarding action and decided they had enough of it. So they got in touch with their friendly Inquisitor, who looked into it and said they would have to rebuild the whole ship if they really wanted to cleanse away the warp spirits, which would take a few years. There was an alternative though.

In its past life the ship was known as "Your Mom" and was led by an Emperor's Child and his literal warband. If they could summon forth his spirit and challenge him for a rock duel in the ship's Auditorium they could establish dominance over the ghosts and never again would the spirits act against them.

So, help me out with the mechanics of this. Two of the characters already have Performer skills that could be put to use, and I'm allowing everyone to buy at 200XP a Performer elite advance, since they can very easily acquire tutors for instruments. I am considering breaking every part of the show into points, and the one with the most score by the end will be the winner. The PCs will stake their souls at the game, which means that if they lose they will have to shoot their way out of a ghost ship.

I am thinking of grading them by the following:

Special Effects & Stunts: Breaking instruments, fountains of blood, explosions, holographic displays, special dance moves, shooting (at the other band or public), et cetera. Each detail will add +1 point, unless it has already been used; might actually give a malus if it becomes repetitive or is stupid in a bad way.

Appearance: They need to look like a rock star. +1 for each band member that looks metal enough, there is also the possibility of losing points if anyone looks boring. Just your typical 40K attire will not do, they have to go beyond the spikes and skulls.

poo poo Talking: At the beginning and between each song the bands will poo poo-talk one another or tell anecdotes or just ramble or whatever. This can be an Intimidate, Blather, Charm or Performer (Storyteller) test and will reward by the degrees of success, actual description and roleplaying will give a bonus to the test. They will have a penalty the test if they just repeat the same sort of action.

Actual Music: There will be three songs and both bands will play at the same time, so there's pressure to make your music better and louder than the opposition. A Perform test will be done for the dominant instrument of each song (and they are likewise supposed to vary them), with bonuses for how much they elaborate on the song. They will play for three songs, with pauses for poo poo talking and points will be once again rewarded for degrees of success.

Closing: The "just loving surprise me" bit.

So, does this look like a functional system for the challenge? Any suggestions for further insanity I might add?

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 26, 2012

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Inquisitorial Animal Health and Safety inspectors to ensure no live animals are harmed orally decapitated during the performance.

Also some sort of audience participation. Possibly live crew and past dead crew in a mosh pit. Crowd surfing on ghosts.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I want to play this challenge now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Is this a live game? Bonus points to any player who is willing to actually jam on air guitar/drums during the session. Automatic win if they will literally eat a live bat at the gaming table.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

They should have to go deck to deck selling plastic cups with their bands name on it, and get a bonus point if they succeed in selling enough to pay for their entry into the battle of the bands.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
To make this a proper exorcism, the PC's should demonstrate that the Emperor is, in fact, more metal than Chaos. Potential song names include "10,000 Year Throne of Pain" and "Kneel Before the Corpse-God."

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Gideon020 posted:

I think I might have missed the relevant post(s) in this or any other 40K Roleplay thread here, but can anyone give me any advice on how to create loot drops like in the Dawn of War games for Deathwatch?
The stuff in the books is okay, but I always like trying my hand at making unique loot and the rules are a little thin on making stuff up. Unless one of the other books that I don't have has those rules.

There's rules for creating daemon weapons in Black Crusade (and maybe another book) but that's about it.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

but oh no, what is this, what monstrous force has emerged from the depths of the warp, a mysterious third party devoted to winning this rock-off by any means necessary?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

MaliciousOnion posted:

There's rules for creating daemon weapons in Black Crusade (and maybe another book) but that's about it.

Also The Radical's Handbook. And I think some basic ones in Disciples of the Dark Gods.

Fizziocrat
Mar 15, 2004

I'm running an Only War game right now for a great group, and I've made a couple of observations. The regiment is the Vostroyan Line Infantry (55th Vostroyan Rifles) in the beta, and the party consists of a Sergeant (played fairly realistically by a hilariously flustered player), a Storm Trooper (who acts as the Sergeant's second in command), a Ratling, and a Hirsutus close combat specialist (great player, :barf: concept) who just joined last session. They also have an NPC Medic, and recently lost an NPC Ogryn down a waterfall.

The first is that Line Infantry can soak up a ludicrous amount of punishment. Most hits are in the body region, and everyone in the squad starts with Good-quality Carapace chestplates. They've been fighting Orks exclusively so far, and that means that most shots that hit (which are few and far between, thanks to BS 26 and Inaccurate on the part of the Orks) can be shrugged off; at worst, they take about 4 wounds. Extremity hits are outright ignored most of the time, as my group makes good use of cover and any penetrating damage tends to be soaked by their Flak and Toughness. I'm sure PCs are a lot squishier in Recon or Light Infantry regiments, but my PCs are almost like DW characters (which we played previously) with half the wounds. The Ogryn was even more like a Marine: I couldn't find anything to indicate that he didn't get regimental starting equipment, so he was soaking 13 or 14 from every chest hit, making conventional Ork weaponry unable to wound him. With 30 wounds, even nasty Ork weapons didn't slow him down, and he'd regularly melee three Boyz by himself.

The second observation is that Ratlings are pretty darn broken RAW. Our Ratling took both Comrade advances as soon as he could, and is rolling 108 vs BS on basically every shot, with that shot being un-Dodge-able. With Dead-Eye Shot (free for Vostroyans) and Sharpshooter, he's detonating Nob heads left and right with an almost guaranteed 3d10+6 damage. I've found that unless I assault the rest of the party with overwhelming odds to overcome his "one shot, one kill" ability, most "on par" encounters become trivially easy. It wouldn't be so bad if his health wasn't so out of whack (I played a Devastator in DW, so I know that raw damage output isn't necessarily end all, be all), but with his cloak and size modifier, it's impossible to hit him unless I roll an 01. Most enemies don't even both targeting him with ranged attacks, and he's so deadly that no one ever gets within melee range unless the party is ambushed. When he finally gets hit (like he did in our most recent session; I think it's the second time in 12 sessions), his low Wounds and Toughness almost always result in Critical Damage, and him getting knocked out for the rest of the encounter. I guess I just feel that glass cannon might be a valid archetype in some games, but in RPGs it tends to result in terrible outcomes.

e: I want to add that I'm so happy that Medicae is useful now, and that the not-terribly-optimized Medic on average heals 9 to 10 Wounds per check.

Fizziocrat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 27, 2012

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Kharol posted:

I'm running an Only War game right now for a great group, and I've made a couple of observations. The regiment is the Vostroyan Line Infantry (55th Vostroyan Rifles) in the beta, and the party consists of a Sergeant (played fairly realistically by a hilariously flustered player), a Storm Trooper (who acts as the Sergeant's second in command), a Ratling, and a Hirsutus close combat specialist (great player, :barf: concept) who just joined last session. They also have an NPC Medic, and recently lost an NPC Ogryn down a waterfall.

The first is that Line Infantry can soak up a ludicrous amount of punishment. Most hits are in the body region, and everyone in the squad starts with Good-quality Carapace chestplates. They've been fighting Orks exclusively so far, and that means that most shots that hit (which are few and far between, thanks to BS 26 and Inaccurate on the part of the Orks) can be shrugged off; at worst, they take about 4 wounds. Extremity hits are outright ignored most of the time, as my group makes good use of cover and any penetrating damage tends to be soaked by their Flak and Toughness. I'm sure PCs are a lot squishier in Recon or Light Infantry regiments, but my PCs are almost like DW characters (which we played previously) with half the wounds. The Ogryn was even more like a Marine: I couldn't find anything to indicate that he didn't get regimental starting equipment, so he was soaking 13 or 14 from every chest hit, making conventional Ork weaponry unable to wound him. With 30 wounds, even nasty Ork weapons didn't slow him down, and he'd regularly melee three Boyz by himself.

The second observation is that Ratlings are pretty darn broken RAW. Our Ratling took both Comrade advances as soon as he could, and is rolling 108 vs BS on basically every shot, with that shot being un-Dodge-able. With Dead-Eye Shot (free for Vostroyans) and Sharpshooter, he's detonating Nob heads left and right with an almost guaranteed 3d10+6 damage. I've found that unless I assault the rest of the party with overwhelming odds to overcome his "one shot, one kill" ability, most "on par" encounters become trivially easy. It wouldn't be so bad if his health wasn't so out of whack (I played a Devastator in DW, so I know that raw damage output isn't necessarily end all, be all), but with his cloak and size modifier, it's impossible to hit him unless I roll an 01. Most enemies don't even both targeting him with ranged attacks, and he's so deadly that no one ever gets within melee range unless the party is ambushed. When he finally gets hit (like he did in our most recent session; I think it's the second time in 12 sessions), his low Wounds and Toughness almost always result in Critical Damage, and him getting knocked out for the rest of the encounter. I guess I just feel that glass cannon might be a valid archetype in some games, but in RPGs it tends to result in terrible outcomes.

e: I want to add that I'm so happy that Medicae is useful now, and that the not-terribly-optimized Medic on average heals 9 to 10 Wounds per check.

I'm playing in an OW game as well, and I fully agree with you regarding Ratlings. The low HP rarely matters since they're typically far off enough that no one's shooting at them, and their raw damage output is nuts. Our GM actually started using dedicated counter-snipers in our encounters to try and keep our Ratling on his toes, though I'm not sure how well that would work in your session.

Also, how did everyone end up with Carapace Armor? Only a few people in our group have it, and that's only because with one exception their class started with it. (The exception being me, as I managed to get a Carapace chestplate in our first session before our requisition rolls started going to hell)

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fizziocrat
Mar 15, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm playing in an OW game as well, and I fully agree with you regarding Ratlings. The low HP rarely matters since they're typically far off enough that no one's shooting at them, and their raw damage output is nuts. Our GM actually started using dedicated counter-snipers in our encounters to try and keep our Ratling on his toes, though I'm not sure how well that would work in your session.

Also, how did everyone end up with Carapace Armor? Only a few people in our group have it, and that's only because with one exception their class started with it. (The exception being me, as I managed to get a Carapace chestplate in our first session before our requisition rolls started going to hell)

I thought that all Line Infantry got it; after taking a look, it looks like it's a piece of Vostroyan-specific wargear. Page 25 in the beta.