Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

YLLS has more or less rejected low-carb (there is no longer permitted to be a thread for it) and is less doctrinal than it was. 'Eat like an adult' is the most common refrain there now.

But yes, as a community they do not need help with macronutrient splits any more than GWS needs help boiling eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
happy hat you posting helpful information in a weight loss forum would be like martha stewart trying to explain to a room full of taliban kommandants that "hey america isn't actually that bad because look at this episode of 'baywatch nights' that was really pretty well scripted and filmed!"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

happy hat you posting helpful information in a weight loss forum would be like martha stewart trying to explain to a room full of taliban kommandants that "hey america isn't actually that bad because look at this episode of 'baywatch nights' that was really pretty well scripted and filmed!"
Stop trying to discourage him, you fool!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Someone said something about pie?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I assume it wouldn't be telling them how to eat, more how to flavour what they're already committed to eating. Like browning proteins, appropriate spices, herbs whatever. Maybe alternative sources for those "macros" for variety. Maybe how (and why) not to shop like a jerk.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
This may seem stupid, but I'm looking for one of you kind American gentlegoons who might be interested in shipping me some Twinkies. To Denmark.
I can't find them anywhere here in Denmark. I've got this thing for a girl, and we have this stupid internal joke about Twinkies, so I know it'd blow her mind if I got her some for Christmas.

I wanna blow her mind with Twinkies.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Darval posted:

This may seem stupid, but I'm looking for one of you kind American gentlegoons who might be interested in shipping me some Twinkies. To Denmark.
I can't find them anywhere here in Denmark. I've got this thing for a girl, and we have this stupid internal joke about Twinkies, so I know it'd blow her mind if I got her some for Christmas.

I wanna blow her mind with Twinkies.

Are you trolling us right now? Hostess just closed their doors after decades of operation. Twinkies are no more. You are just trying to rub it in aren't you? The only hope of getting them again is if Hostess sells the recipe/rights to another company, and they start cranking them out.

Every store that I have been to has had their hostess snack cakes section completely emptied out immediately after the news broke about Hostess going under.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Find a Canadagoon, they're produced here under license.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Doom Rooster posted:

Are you trolling us right now? Hostess just closed their doors after decades of operation. Twinkies are no more. You are just trying to rub it in aren't you? The only hope of getting them again is if Hostess sells the recipe/rights to another company, and they start cranking them out.

Every store that I have been to has had their hostess snack cakes section completely emptied out immediately after the news broke about Hostess going under.

You'll soon get Twinkies from another bakery. All the rights to all of the brands under Hostess have been sold to other large commercial bakeries.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Wait what, 100% not trolling you. I live in Denmark, I have no idea about some american cake firm closing.

I've ordered some from the UK now, on Amazon, but the price is horrible. Oh god, she better like these.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

They are not good.

Unlike Ding Dongs, which of course were a delicious confectionary treat.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You'll soon get Twinkies from another bakery. All the rights to all of the brands under Hostess have been sold to other large commercial bakeries.

Exactly. They're to much of a cash...polyunsaturated snack "food" to just disappear into nothingness. They'll be back before the end of the year probably.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Orange Cupcakes are the only good thing hostess produced.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They are not good.

Unlike Ding Dongs, which of course were a delicious confectionary treat.

hohos are where it's at :colbert:

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I feel like your cooking options are limited when your meal needs to include a pound of lean ground beef or skinless chicken breasts and a pound of steamed broccoli to meet your macros. That said, I hope I'm wrong.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Darval posted:

Wait what, 100% not trolling you. I live in Denmark, I have no idea about some american cake firm closing.

I've ordered some from the UK now, on Amazon, but the price is horrible. Oh god, she better like these.
If you think the price is horrible, just wait until you taste them!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

hohos are where it's at :colbert:

Ding Dong > HoHo

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

geetee posted:

I feel like your cooking options are limited when your meal needs to include a pound of lean ground beef or skinless chicken breasts and a pound of steamed broccoli to meet your macros. That said, I hope I'm wrong.
of course they are. Still doesn't mean that everything has to be so bland. You're also limited when you have horrible food allergies, or have religious dietary restrictions. Think of the hell we go through at work every year during Passover when we need to feed Ashkenazi gluten free vegans. It's a nightmare. We still don't just serve up plain steamed veg, because that tastes boring.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

FishBulb posted:

I go on the occasional Orange Cupcake bender from time to time.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

dino. posted:

We still don't just serve up plain steamed veg, because that tastes boring.

You serve up roasted veg, because roasted veg is the best :colbert:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I go on the occasional Orange Cupcake bender from time to time.

Once or twice a year I break down and buy those... and then almost immediately regret it afterwards. So many calories, so little goodness.

As for the fitness folks, think that part of the issue is that restricting one's diet sometimes becomes an exercise in aestheticism. Black and white thinking can be comforting when you are pushing yourself, so it's easy to slip into "anything with taste = bad".

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

dino. posted:

of course they are. Still doesn't mean that everything has to be so bland. You're also limited when you have horrible food allergies, or have religious dietary restrictions. Think of the hell we go through at work every year during Passover when we need to feed Ashkenazi gluten free vegans. It's a nightmare. We still don't just serve up plain steamed veg, because that tastes boring.

I salute you for not throwing a sizzle plate over the line when you get an order like that. Kosher, vegan, gluten free? I HOPE YOU LIKE RICE.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Vegetable Melange posted:

I salute you for not throwing a sizzle plate over the line when you get an order like that. Kosher, vegan, gluten free? I HOPE YOU LIKE RICE.

My go to on the spot veg plates(seeing as our plated lunches run from $28 to $48 per) is a roasted golden beet salad on whatever wild mushrooms we've got in with a smoked tomato vin and whatever the veg on the regular plates is. Or the goddamn contact could just find out who is veg/vegan/gluten free/etc ahead of time and I can actually give you something I'm proud to ask $28 for.

First day off in 3 weeks, so naturally I'm on a Kitchen Nightmares binge to remind me how awesome our kitchen is.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Ive been watching Ramsay's Best Restaurant on Netflix, it's pretty awesome (and ive seen all the kitchen nightmares eight times). Nice to watch people not gently caress up horrendously. Also nice to watch Ramsay loving REAM OUT foh at these places.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Squashy Nipples posted:

Once or twice a year I break down and buy those... and then almost immediately regret it afterwards. So many calories, so little goodness.

As for the fitness folks, think that part of the issue is that restricting one's diet sometimes becomes an exercise in aestheticism. Black and white thinking can be comforting when you are pushing yourself, so it's easy to slip into "anything with taste = bad".

Which is where I'm at (down 110 pounds and counting). I busted rear end for the past 10 months so I'm taking it easy during the holidays.

Which means I'm all about some Orange Cupcakes every now and then.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Darval posted:

Aaaand I just learned she might be seeing another guy. Would have liked to know this a day ago. I am a dumbass. I shall feed my sorrow with expensive Twinkies.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Darval posted:

Aaaand I just learned she might be seeing another guy. Would have liked to know this a day ago. I am a dumbass. I shall feed my sorrow with expensive Twinkies.
Din stakkel!

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
As I had earlier predicted, the Twinkie will not go away.

Filing for bankruptcy and selling assets is essentially a way to get rid of the union.

I wouldn't be that surprised if the people who are currently owners of hostessed turn around and buy up all the assets and put them back in business.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
For the YLLS food tips, I think that the biggest benefits are going to be spices, and proper cooking techniques.

Need to eat a meal that includes a poud of lean ground beef? Here is an awesome blend of spices to make it into delicious taco meat to put make a taco salad, or use low carb tortillas!

Eating a lot of chicken breasts? the number one thing you can do to improve those is to make sure that you are not overcooking them, get a food thermometer since you already like numbers, and try to hit 150ish degrees, instead of cooking it up to 180 "to make sure it's done enough".

Want a sauce that you can drown anything in to make it taste at least passable? Tzatziki is amazing! High protein from the yoghurt, with garlic, dill and Lemon that tastes awesome, with negligible calories added beyond the fat from the yoghurt.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FishBulb posted:

Look at this guy, he's never had mini muffins.

I just bought 2 boxes of them in memoriam. Also because they're on sale.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Doom Rooster posted:

"get a food thermometer"

Anyone have any cheaper alternative to the 'sperg-y thermapen instant read thermometers?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Whats spergy about a thermapen?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Beyond speed and temperature range, its a lot of money for a thermometer when accuracy of 0.7 degrees is not needed. It seems an overkill I suppose is what I am saying.

Perhaps I spoke out of turn and don't know what the hell I'm talking about?

e: I guess I'm not qualified to comment on "overkill" as I just used a saws-all to remove the backbone of my thanksgiving turkey.

7 Bowls of Wrath fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 19, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's not spergy to want to know the internal temperature of your chicken thigh quickly and accurately. The less time you have to pull a chicken thigh out of an oven to take a temp, the better.

That said, you are right that the Thermapen is expensive. If you want to spend less, there is the $20 Thermoworks Superfast Pocket Thermometer, which takes 6 seconds to get a reading rather than the 3 seconds that the Thermapen takes.

http://thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt301wa.html

edit: VVVVVV not all of us have Jedi powers

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 19, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I don't even have a thermometer.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Anyone have any cheaper alternative to the 'sperg-y thermapen instant read thermometers?

Thermoworks and CDN products.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I don't even have a TV.

:smugdog:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Aesthetic or ascetic?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

But how do you temp steamships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Nor do I. It seems like a waste when I have two perfectly good eyes to tell when something is cooked.