Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Just finished Memento Mori 2 with Brutal Doom on UV.

I'm not afraid to say it: Memento Mori was what Doom 2 should have been. It got everything right. Jesus, the fantastic close combat, the beautiful level design, the huge loving expansive levels, the hub levels, wonderful ammo and health placement that had me running all over the place and scrounging, Levels 26 and 27 kick loving rear end... I could go on and on. Play this if you haven't. Make sure to disable jumping.

EDIT: I guess I should go back and find the secret levels now :(

I'm actually playing MM2 with Brutal Doom on HMP right now. UV would bust my balls, I already have plenty of moments where I barely scrape by. It really is fantastic though, there's some rather clever traps, neat architecture, the works. The music is really good too! Map 20 "The Experiment" was particularly entertaining to me - very atmospheric and a funny twist at the end.

Does anyone know of a good set of UV-speed demos for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

SavageMessiah posted:

I'm actually playing MM2 with Brutal Doom on HMP right now. UV would bust my balls, I already have plenty of moments where I barely scrape by. It really is fantastic though, there's some rather clever traps, neat architecture, the works. The music is really good too! Map 20 "The Experiment" was particularly entertaining to me - very atmospheric and a funny twist at the end.

I didn't even expect myself to be able to finish on UV. It is pretty difficult but it's doable. And there were a handful of times in the late 20 levels where a set of doors would open up, the monsters would come swarming out, and I'd just NOPE it back to the central hub to use my newfound key.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Truth be told I think Unreal was pretty terrible and I say that as a big fan of classic FPS games. It was a graphical showcase and a start of a series that eventually produced some really awesome stuff(Unreal Tournament) but Unreal itself was just not good.

The problem with Unreal is that the few levels after the beginning (basically from the mines to the end of the water temple, and not counting the first level) and the few levels at the end (everything in the alien mothership) kinda blow, so it's hard to get into and hard to leave with a good impression. In the middle are some really good bits, especially the colossal sprawling interconnected levels that contain entire towns or structures like the Sunspire or that one with the monastery on top of a mountain.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Truth be told I think Unreal was pretty terrible and I say that as a big fan of classic FPS games. It was a graphical showcase and a start of a series that eventually produced some really awesome stuff(Unreal Tournament) but Unreal itself was just not good.

Hey man, I was doing co-op on MPlayer. What were you co-oping? 2 people playing on the same Playstation or some poo poo? Naw son, I was on the internet

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SavageMessiah posted:

All the best demos are going to be on the DSDA.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Dominic White posted:

This might not have been the biggest year for Doom, but a last-minute Cacoward nominee that seems to be gaining some support is Beyond Reality. The final version was just released yesterday.

While it sometimes leans a little too hard on the 'wacky' (and there's those Deus Vult 2-ish poster images all over the place), the general theme is surrealism, and it works pretty well. 17 maps split into 3-4 level episodes with a strong, unique theme each, and pretty solid gameplay in general.

Hey people should try this because it's kind of radical. Won't work well with Brutal Doom though, it's full of unique monsters.

Also wow Memento Mori 2 still owns.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

Hey people should try this because it's kind of radical. Won't work well with Brutal Doom though, it's full of unique monsters.

Yeah, it's heavy on the GZDoom features and custom scripting, too - best played without any other mods. The whole time-frozen monochrome world that slowly colours in and comes to life is really impressive. Wonder how he did that?

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012
I just finished all of the episodes in Blood and the plasma pak and am now onto Cryptic Passage. I remember trying to play it a while back before GOG was around and I could never seem to get it to play very well.

Even with the GOG release I found things a bit fiddly to begin with, but after fiddling with the controls I managed to set it up so it's really comfortable to play. I tried mouselook but I actually prefer playing Blood without mouselook, using WASD to move and the mouse to look left and right.

I think I actually prefer Blood to Doom and Duke to be honest, there's just something about the atmosphere I guess. I basically sat down the past couple of days and just played marathon sessions of it because I couldn't put the game down.

Once I finish Cryptic Passage I might look into some mods, I tried the Blood launcher in the OP but I couldn't be bothered to edit the configuration as to how I had them and also I didn't like having to copy the Blood game files into each mod pack.

If I didn't use the launcher, is there another way to run Blood mods?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

CharlesDexterWard posted:

If I didn't use the launcher, is there another way to run Blood mods?

Totally agree with you about Blood. Some of the mods are pretty easy to install. Death Wish you basically just drop the files in and make a shortcut. Rage Against the Machine installed the same way. Bloody Pulp Fiction has a weird installer that is supposed to take care of everything for you, but I haven't played it yet because I'm terrified it'll mess up my install. I hope that source port comes out and has an easy way to play mods.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

catlord posted:

Totally agree with you about Blood. Some of the mods are pretty easy to install. Death Wish you basically just drop the files in and make a shortcut. Rage Against the Machine installed the same way. Bloody Pulp Fiction has a weird installer that is supposed to take care of everything for you, but I haven't played it yet because I'm terrified it'll mess up my install. I hope that source port comes out and has an easy way to play mods.

Bloody pulp fiction seems to be really hit or miss from what I've seen, and I don't think it will install correctly on any machines utilizing windows 7 (regardless of 32 or 64-bit installation)

Might just be me though, but the only way I've ever gotten it to work was with Tecman's one unit whole launcher, and even then I ended up getting tons of missing textures that were replaced with the Beast's buns of steel

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Death Wish for Blood is loving incredible; it's pretty brutal but the level design just makes my headspin - I'm saying that as someone who's used build for over 10 years now. The author's work just made me feel ashamed of what I've churned out.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So, um, here's what I've been up to lately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrC2YTLYwHw

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

The Kins posted:

Take all of my money.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
:suspense:

Wow, did I see a holy brick?

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

The Kins posted:

Amazing

Your 'TWILIGHT BREAKING DAWN PART 3' video is pretty cool too

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

The Kins posted:

Nice work.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

QwertySanchez posted:

Wow, did I see a holy brick?
You saw exactly that.

Here's a new seven-map hub for Strife. Strife maps are kind of rarer than rocking horse poo poo, so it's kind of worth playing by default.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's also quite good independently of what game it was made for. Strife is a lucky game in its neglect: all the maps made for it are good. (Well, I haven't tried the deathmatch level; but the Kaiser and Khorus maps are all great.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

It's also quite good independently of what game it was made for. Strife is a lucky game in its neglect: all the maps made for it are good. (Well, I haven't tried the deathmatch level; but the Kaiser and Khorus maps are all great.)
Probably because there wasn't a whole lot of easy, user-friendly documentation for Strife like their was for Doom and Hexen, so the only people die-hard enough to take the time to figure out the dialogue scripting etc. are the folks skilled enough to make quality maps.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

The Kins posted:

Ahhhhhhhh Kinnss this is awesome.

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

The Kins posted:

You saw exactly that.

Here's a new seven-map hub for Strife. Strife maps are kind of rarer than rocking horse poo poo, so it's kind of worth playing by default.

This is fantastic! Same with the Death Wish campaign for Blood. Thanks for keeping this thread alive.
What is the best source port to run Strife with (preferably with opengl)? (will check OP as well)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Has anyone had success playing some DukeMatch through YANG..? I really just want to see if I've gotten it set up right with the port forwarding etc.

I'm using the old build of eDuke32 that has 'working' multiplayer:

http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/synthesis/old/20091203-1551/

the DUKE3D.GRP from the GOG Duke3D Atomic version,

and the latest download of YANG:

http://yang-online.com/

if there's an easier way of getting this up and running I'm all ears :)

<edit> I'll leave a room open in YANG overnight, leave a message and at least I'll know that bit works - room password is GRENADE

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 21, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ddraigcymraeg posted:

This is fantastic! Same with the Death Wish campaign for Blood. Thanks for keeping this thread alive.
What is the best source port to run Strife with (preferably with opengl)? (will check OP as well)
GZDoom is probably the best for what you want, since it has OpenGL and runs pretty much every Doom engine game, like Strife.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

Wait, why the gently caress am I not playing this right now?! All joking aside, can't wait for the update Kins!

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

Wamdoodle posted:

Wait, why the gently caress am I not playing this right now?! All joking aside, can't wait for the update Kins!

Agreed, that is very cool!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So what's up with that addon for Brutal Doom that adds real gore? How could anyone think that's appropriate fodder for a video game?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

So what's up with that addon for Brutal Doom that adds real gore? How could anyone think that's appropriate fodder for a video game?

There's not really much to it. The author wanted to incorporate real gore into the game and a lot of people reacted negatively to it because 1: It was arguably tasteless and 2: The real gore stood out like a sore thumb and didn't enhance the game in any meaningful way.

It's been brought up a few times, most recently about 4 pages ago, but that's pretty much all there is to it.

Am I missing something in Memento Mori 2? I'm in the Sewer level (Sabbath Sewers, I believe) and I'm trying to get the yellow skull. I've seen the skull but it got locked up before I could reach it. Now there's this blue checkerboard wall doesn't seem to have any way of being lowered, and that looks like the only way I can go.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Am I missing something in Memento Mori 2? I'm in the Sewer level (Sabbath Sewers, I believe) and I'm trying to get the yellow skull. I've seen the skull but it got locked up before I could reach it. Now there's this blue checkerboard wall doesn't seem to have any way of being lowered, and that looks like the only way I can go.

There's another yellow skull somewhere else.
Walkthrough.

As for the blue checkerboard thing... You mean cyan and white squares, solid color without texture? That's the missing texture placeholder in GZDoom. (In ZDoom too, but the cyan becomes gray because of paletted render.)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cat Mattress posted:

There's another yellow skull somewhere else.
Walkthrough.

As for the blue checkerboard thing... You mean cyan and white squares, solid color without texture? That's the missing texture placeholder in GZDoom. (In ZDoom too, but the cyan becomes gray because of paletted render.)

Thanks for the walkthrough.

As for the checkerboard barrier, it looks deliberate:

EDIT: Figured it out. Had to do a lot of backtracking with no indication that I needed to do so. What is it about sewer levels?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 22, 2012

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Thanks for the walkthrough.

As for the checkerboard barrier, it looks deliberate:

EDIT: Figured it out. Had to do a lot of backtracking with no indication that I needed to do so. What is it about sewer levels?

I got stuck in this same exact place. That's so funny to see someone with the same Doom 2 woes as me... in 2012.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has anyone tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FglVuYr0BJg

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Phoah! Now that is the way Doom was always meant to be played.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Last I checked there was only a demo for it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Gotta admit I kinda like this trend in the community of making everything as retarded as possible now

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
I recognized the Doom Center map, the first level of Duke Caribbean (which I know someone remade for Doom), weapons from Action Doom 2, and what I think may have been a Truckasaurus level. I'm guessing the whole thing is just slapped together content from other people's mods.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I recognized the Doom Center map, the first level of Duke Caribbean (which I know someone remade for Doom), weapons from Action Doom 2, and what I think may have been a Truckasaurus level. I'm guessing the whole thing is just slapped together content from other people's mods.

Yeah. A few people have noticed and aren't too happy that their stuff is being used like that.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Is there a program to sort/manage large amounts of wads or a efficient method to doing so? i have about 10 zdoom/whatever installs each which have around 10 wads just so i dont have a i single folder with a billion wads, and i cant even remember half of the wads i have from their filenames.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Delerion posted:

Is there a program to sort/manage large amounts of wads or a efficient method to doing so? i have about 10 zdoom/whatever installs each which have around 10 wads just so i dont have a i single folder with a billion wads, and i cant even remember half of the wads i have from their filenames.

I just use QZDL. I've set it up to be able to change the engine from a drop-down menu (GZDoom, Zandronum, etc.) and keep every MegaWAD in its own subdirectory in the WADs folder.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
So I played the first two levels on Unloved, using AEOD.

Despite the game crawling with robots, mechs, centaurs, possessed zombie ladies, Strogg, and other aliens instead of the proper demons, I still got creeped out at times.

(also gently caress the moving blades from ROTT)

There was an attempt to source port Blood a while back, was there any more info on it or did it go dead? I vaguely recall the Blood creators giving it their blessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I got stuck in this same exact place. That's so funny to see someone with the same Doom 2 woes as me... in 2012.

Got stuck there too. Just a goofy map I guess.

As for managing tons of wads, why do you need a program for it? Just use the filesystem, it's what it's there for. I have directories for iwads, pwads, and megawads and each one that I download I extract into its own directory in one of those. I name those directories by the actual name of the wad, not the filename or anything like that. I also have a text file where I record the details of wads I particularly liked or disliked because I can never remember.

I just drag the one I want to play onto QLZ and away I gooooo