Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
I figured you guys might enjoy this

Guy builds motor home from Deuce and a half and makes it into the most baddass conversion I've ever seen

drat I wish I had those skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
A guy in the club posted this the other day.

:cripes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwc_4JRdA78

Parking prawl failed in the 4L80E and the e-brake wasn't engaged. poo poo like this is the reason why I keep two big wheel chocks in the bed and always use my e-brake. Was paranoid about that out in Moab, would test the e-brake out on the really steep slickrock, I don't want my hummer becoming a 8000 lb go-kart scooting off to oblivion.

On the upside, they can flip it back over and keep driving, I'm surprised it kept running upside down, but I guess the little fuel baffle in the H1 tanks didn't get sucked dry yet. The oil, well the pan has a baffle near the pickup, but I guess there's about a quart of oil in the filtration system past the pickup so I speculate you can run a bit before you get into a low oil pressure situation.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 16, 2012

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Geared Hub posted:

A guy in the club posted this the other day.

:cripes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwc_4JRdA78
The oil, well the pan has a baffle near the pickup, but I guess there's about a quart of oil in the filtration system past the pickup so I speculate you can run a bit before you get into a low oil pressure situation.

Most engines will happily continue to run with zero oil pressure, for a short time. It's sorta like how humans can live underwater.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Oh sweet. I was wondering if this thread was dead or not.

Hoping to join the 4x4 brethren depending on how much of my unwanted poo poo I can flog on eBay. Looking for something cheap, nasty and kind of rough just like me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

General_Failure posted:

Oh sweet. I was wondering if this thread was dead or not.

Hoping to join the 4x4 brethren depending on how much of my unwanted poo poo I can flog on eBay. Looking for something cheap, nasty and kind of rough just like me.

Jeep Comanche

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

trouser chili posted:

Most engines will happily continue to run with zero oil pressure, for a short time. It's sorta like how humans can live underwater.

It's more like how Anal sex can continue after the lube runs dry. That's a better Analogy.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

jonathan posted:

It's more like how Anal sex can continue after the lube runs dry. That's a better Analogy.

I see what you did there.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

jonathan posted:

Jeep Comanche

Perhaps if I were a U.S. goon. Before a mod jumps in, I wasn't asking for a car recommendation. I'm currently looking at ability: good or better , price: close to $0 as possible, and condition: repairable or better.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

commissargribb posted:

I see what you did there.

Its an anal analogy.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas

General_Failure posted:

Perhaps if I were a U.S. goon. Before a mod jumps in, I wasn't asking for a car recommendation. I'm currently looking at ability: good or better , price: close to $0 as possible, and condition: repairable or better.

Good budget 4x4s in Australia are old solid axle hilux/land cruisers, suzuki Sierras and vitaras. Holden jackaroos and other izusus are also alright.

Depends on what you want to do with it though, but an old 60 or 80 series would be a good start if you are okay with cruiser fuel economy, otherwise if economy is a priority, look for a 2.4d or 2.8d hilux or a diesel jackaroos (also the suzukis) but if you elaborate more on what you need it for (touring, towing, hardcore offroad) you can narrow down the list a little more.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Bobby_Wokkerfella posted:

Good budget 4x4s in Australia are old solid axle hilux/land cruisers, suzuki Sierras and vitaras. Holden jackaroos and other izusus are also alright.

Depends on what you want to do with it though, but an old 60 or 80 series would be a good start if you are okay with cruiser fuel economy, otherwise if economy is a priority, look for a 2.4d or 2.8d hilux or a diesel jackaroos (also the suzukis) but if you elaborate more on what you need it for (touring, towing, hardcore offroad) you can narrow down the list a little more.

Alright. I'll outline what I'm after if you want. But I will tell you how I'm looking for them too.
Looking for things by price, then evaluating the particular vehicle. There are certain must haves, should haves etc. that I'm following too.
What I'm looking for is something that has a minimum total seating for four people and a compliance plate which reflects this. Lap sash belts for the rear seat.
What I'd prefer is something with little to no electronics or electrics save the basics. Carb'd is preferable over EFI etc. I have my reasons. Mainly field repairs, and knowing in advance when something is up rather than the ECU compensating until something shits itself. Thanks for the lack of warning there, Ford.

It floods here occasionally, also road quality is varied plus I like going exploring along what can loosely be called dirt tracks.

#1 on the list is a cheap older Range Rover, because they fit the criteria pretty well. I know "Lucas LOL". Dodgy electrics aren't hard to deal with.
Oh, looking at the list, touring I suppose, if that includes just general traversal of hundreds of km of lovely rural roads to get to appointments etc. Towing yes too. getting out of trouble whenever the climate goes nuts. The ability to drag poo poo around and to get us out bush / down to the river as well.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

General_Failure posted:

Alright. I'll outline what I'm after if you want. But I will tell you how I'm looking for them too.
Looking for things by price, then evaluating the particular vehicle. There are certain must haves, should haves etc. that I'm following too.
What I'm looking for is something that has a minimum total seating for four people and a compliance plate which reflects this. Lap sash belts for the rear seat.
What I'd prefer is something with little to no electronics or electrics save the basics. Carb'd is preferable over EFI etc. I have my reasons. Mainly field repairs, and knowing in advance when something is up rather than the ECU compensating until something shits itself. Thanks for the lack of warning there, Ford.

It floods here occasionally, also road quality is varied plus I like going exploring along what can loosely be called dirt tracks.

#1 on the list is a cheap older Range Rover, because they fit the criteria pretty well. I know "Lucas LOL". Dodgy electrics aren't hard to deal with.
Oh, looking at the list, touring I suppose, if that includes just general traversal of hundreds of km of lovely rural roads to get to appointments etc. Towing yes too. getting out of trouble whenever the climate goes nuts. The ability to drag poo poo around and to get us out bush / down to the river as well.

I'm assuming you're familiar with adjusting carburetors.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

commissargribb posted:

I'm assuming you're familiar with adjusting carburetors.

Adjusting, rebuilding, rejetting, substituting etc. Yes.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas

General_Failure posted:

Personally then, I'd buy an old petrol/diesel I6 Patrol or Landcruiser, parts will be easier/cheaper to get than a Classic Range Rover and they're quintessential bush mechanic fodder, and although the Rangie is a solid truck, you will deal with more annoyances, dodgy electrics and a lot more infuriation than if you'd bought a legendary Japanese I6 wagon.

They may cost a bit more than a Range Rover to buy, but you'll save it in running costs (Petrol V8 in the cheap Rovers) and maintenance (the Ford you have seems to have tons of trouble, now imagine owning a Range Rover vs. a Landcruiser or a Patrol)

I'm not an anti Rover person, but it's definitely harder when it comes to parts availability, especially if you live in a rural area.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Personally then, I'd buy an old petrol/diesel I6 Patrol or Landcruiser, parts will be easier/cheaper to get than a Classic Range Rover and they're quintessential bush mechanic fodder, and although the Rangie is a solid truck, you will deal with more annoyances, dodgy electrics and a lot more infuriation than if you'd bought a legendary Japanese I6 wagon.

They may cost a bit more than a Range Rover to buy, but you'll save it in running costs (Petrol V8 in the cheap Rovers) and maintenance (the Ford you have seems to have tons of trouble, now imagine owning a Range Rover vs. a Landcruiser or a Patrol)

I'm not an anti Rover person, but it's definitely harder when it comes to parts availability, especially if you live in a rural area.

Not trying to argue with you so I'll outline my thought process beforehand so what I say makes a bit more sense.

Yes, I want to get rid of the Ford. I've even found a few really good swaps for things like an adequate quality Patrol, but because of the way the system works here it becomes a bit of a risky proposition leaving us without a vehicle.
A more logical solution is to find a cheap intermediary vehicle to repair / register and use while the Fairlane is sold and a better vehicle is purchased. Said better vehicle would probably be used by my other half assuming she gets her driver's license (long story). This would leave me to use whichever vehicle depending on whether she needs to go somewhere or not.

Now said shitbox could theoretically be chosen from a wide variety of vehicles. Most obvious choices are a Ford, Holden or Mitsubishi. Been there, done that and gently caress you. Never again.

Now, a decent Land cruiser or hilux that can carry four people costs nearly what I get in a year currently so that's an unfortunate no, because I do have a soft spot for both.

Ford 4x4 / AWD soft roaders, you can keep them. After having a good look at my in-laws explorer I decided I could probably break it in a week.

Patrols are good but so far every one I have found is usually in the "good car" category or has a major mechanical failure.

Subarus, unless you are talking 80s models are too drat expensive. I actually rather like them to be honest but it's getting hard to find a functional example or parts thereof. hence the Holley 5200 on my VWs Subaru motor.

Now let's change gear. I've noticed that people like shiny things and pay a premium for them. I don't like shiny things nor the premium prices they attract. So I'm having a good, leisurely hunt through various classifieds and such for vehicles which are generally sound but look like poo poo. Found a few but they are always far too far away to justify purchasing. I'm biding my time, taking the occasional minor gamble to see what comes of it etc.

There are a few more reasons for me looking for an intermediary vehicle. The Fairlane still needs more work. This is a massive pain without a backup vehicle because it means I'm always racing the clock, and there are just some jobs I can't do in available time.

I need something I can chuck things in and not give a poo poo about, like building supplies, fertilizer etc.

Driving the Fairlane hurts me. I don't mean in some intangible way. I mean in a very real sense. The seating position messes up one of my knees, sometimes instantly, and I have to have the seat tilted back so my head isn't pushed into the headliner so I end up stiff and sore if I have to go anywhere. It's not an uncofortable car, its just I'm the wrong proportions for it.

Now back to business. The current vehicle I have my eye on is a range rover. It is a piece of poo poo and needs work. But it has an engine that was rebuilt about 10000km ago, some nice accessories and it is dual fuel with a tank that is still in date.

I have made roadworthy cars out of worse. The drivetrain is good and that is what interests me. I can do upholstery, wiring etc. no worries. It looks like it'll clean up alright. It's just it's in the hell of unfinished projects.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

General_Failure posted:

Not trying to argue with you so I'll outline my thought process beforehand so what I say makes a bit more sense.

Yes, I want to get rid of the Ford. I've even found a few really good swaps for things like an adequate quality Patrol, but because of the way the system works here it becomes a bit of a risky proposition leaving us without a vehicle.
A more logical solution is to find a cheap intermediary vehicle to repair / register and use while the Fairlane is sold and a better vehicle is purchased. Said better vehicle would probably be used by my other half assuming she gets her driver's license (long story). This would leave me to use whichever vehicle depending on whether she needs to go somewhere or not.

Now said shitbox could theoretically be chosen from a wide variety of vehicles. Most obvious choices are a Ford, Holden or Mitsubishi. Been there, done that and gently caress you. Never again.

Now, a decent Land cruiser or hilux that can carry four people costs nearly what I get in a year currently so that's an unfortunate no, because I do have a soft spot for both.

Ford 4x4 / AWD soft roaders, you can keep them. After having a good look at my in-laws explorer I decided I could probably break it in a week.

Patrols are good but so far every one I have found is usually in the "good car" category or has a major mechanical failure.

Subarus, unless you are talking 80s models are too drat expensive. I actually rather like them to be honest but it's getting hard to find a functional example or parts thereof. hence the Holley 5200 on my VWs Subaru motor.

Now let's change gear. I've noticed that people like shiny things and pay a premium for them. I don't like shiny things nor the premium prices they attract. So I'm having a good, leisurely hunt through various classifieds and such for vehicles which are generally sound but look like poo poo. Found a few but they are always far too far away to justify purchasing. I'm biding my time, taking the occasional minor gamble to see what comes of it etc.

There are a few more reasons for me looking for an intermediary vehicle. The Fairlane still needs more work. This is a massive pain without a backup vehicle because it means I'm always racing the clock, and there are just some jobs I can't do in available time.

I need something I can chuck things in and not give a poo poo about, like building supplies, fertilizer etc.

Driving the Fairlane hurts me. I don't mean in some intangible way. I mean in a very real sense. The seating position messes up one of my knees, sometimes instantly, and I have to have the seat tilted back so my head isn't pushed into the headliner so I end up stiff and sore if I have to go anywhere. It's not an uncofortable car, its just I'm the wrong proportions for it.

Now back to business. The current vehicle I have my eye on is a range rover. It is a piece of poo poo and needs work. But it has an engine that was rebuilt about 10000km ago, some nice accessories and it is dual fuel with a tank that is still in date.

I have made roadworthy cars out of worse. The drivetrain is good and that is what interests me. I can do upholstery, wiring etc. no worries. It looks like it'll clean up alright. It's just it's in the hell of unfinished projects.

To be honest, I see the though process, but I'm sure that the best car/4x4 is not a "piece of poo poo" range rover with possibly some big underlying problems (owner has done a gas conversion, rebuilt the motor and put accessories on it and now wants to sell at a low price?) I'm just saying you can find a decent cruiser/patrol/hilux/any japanese 4wd for under 5k and the end result will be a lot easier and cheaper than with a already failing range rover.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

To be honest, I see the though process, but I'm sure that the best car/4x4 is not a "piece of poo poo" range rover with possibly some big underlying problems (owner has done a gas conversion, rebuilt the motor and put accessories on it and now wants to sell at a low price?) I'm just saying you can find a decent cruiser/patrol/hilux/any japanese 4wd for under 5k and the end result will be a lot easier and cheaper than with a already failing range rover.

General_Failure: you now have this same answer from at least one person other than me. Cheap is not cheap. Cheap is expensive. Find something well sorted to begin with.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Exactly. Your analysis is correct. And the ~5k price tag is my reasoning for looking for an intermediary vehicle of some description to fill the gap while I do a few repairs and sell the Fairlane. Having no car for any period of time here is A Bad Thing.

Yes. Cheap can be very expensive. It's like a cross between layby and a loan. You get the car but can't use it until you have finished paying for it. Which as some projects go is never. This is something I'm painfully aware of.

Okay, AI. I have an admission to make. A deep dark secret of mine that only one other person knows. Working on vehicles is about the only thing that makes me happy and is the only thing that has kept me sane for the last nine years. Now I can't do much on my VW I'm hungering for another project to fill the void. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that. And yes I know the Range Rover is a terrible idea. It's why I'm only offering the owner about $400 for it. I'd get back most of the money on the roo bar and tow bar alone if it's not salvageable. If $400 isn't enough, then so be it. I don't think it's worth more than that as a vehicle.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
At least it's a bit more useful and profitable than a hard drug habit, right?

that's what I keep telling myself anyways :(

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

At least it's a bit more useful and profitable than a hard drug habit, right?

that's what I keep telling myself anyways :(

You do have a point. Hard drugs, eBay, alcohol. All costly addictions that can cause a person to waste their life. Unlike restoring a vehicle which is soo... ah ...oh. At least it's good for honing skills in problem solving and learning new abilities like welding, upholstery and swearing in different languages.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

General_Failure posted:

Okay, AI. I have an admission to make. A deep dark secret of mine that only one other person knows. Working on vehicles is about the only thing that makes me happy and is the only thing that has kept me sane for the last nine years. Now I can't do much on my VW I'm hungering for another project to fill the void. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that. And yes I know the Range Rover is a terrible idea. It's why I'm only offering the owner about $400 for it. I'd get back most of the money on the roo bar and tow bar alone if it's not salvageable. If $400 isn't enough, then so be it. I don't think it's worth more than that as a vehicle.

I figured it was wanting another project, but as you should know, a $400 Range Rover is further from "project" and closer to "nightmare". Having said that, $400 is not a lot of money (I was assuming you were spending a few K on the Range vs. buying something sensible at that price), and if you it can get your money back parting it out even if it does catch fire, then I can say I'd at least be curious to look at it.

The only difference is you seem to think it's going to be a cheap run around whilst you get the Fairlane sorted, but personally I wouldn't trust a >500 dollar Rover to be either cheap or to run.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

I figured it was wanting another project, but as you should know, a $400 Range Rover is further from "project" and closer to "nightmare". Having said that, $400 is not a lot of money (I was assuming you were spending a few K on the Range vs. buying something sensible at that price), and if you it can get your money back parting it out even if it does catch fire, then I can say I'd at least be curious to look at it.

The only difference is you seem to think it's going to be a cheap run around whilst you get the Fairlane sorted, but personally I wouldn't trust a >500 dollar Rover to be either cheap or to run.

Typed a reply earlier but my little boy has a knack for pressing just the wrong thing.

A "real money" vehicle would be probably a Patrol or something like that. Hard to say because a proper, maintained vehicle would be given to my other half. Me on the other hand, the more "agricultural" the better.

Yes I don't expect much for that money. Currently it's just taking a gamble on an opportunity. If it doesn't happen I'll just be putting money aside to grab something like an old Land Rover ('70s or earlier) with a compliance plate stating 4 or more people. That compliance plate is a very important thing to me.
My reasons are kind of long and complicated, and there's enough e/n to write a book, but the easiest way to say it is my reasons are a forced reboot of our lives, and I plan on doing it in a way that is interesting and enjoyable. I miss having a fun and useful vehicle too.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Not enough pictures in this pictures thread! Went out to the local off road park this weekend with 2 other guys and had someone take some pics of us.

I'm in the silver JKU with 33's and the other guys are running 37's. I'm going up to 35's as soon as the 33's are done but the smaller tire actually helped me in a few parts and I was able to go where ever they did so they certainly didn't hinder me in any way.

I'm running a 3.25" lift, the other silver is running a 4" and the black is running a 2.5".

The 3 of us

Here's JP getting a little flex on. He probably has the most badass Jeep between the 3 of us. He converted his 2 wheel drive into a 4x4 and did all the work himself.

Albert in the black JKU has a really really nice looking Jeep, he needs to trim his fenders as he was rubbing alot through this trail.

And me, my smaller tires helped me make it through this little section alot faster than the wider guys.

The whole gallery can be seen at

http://mattfl.smugmug.com/Other/Jeep/HardRock-Ocala-11-17-2012/26610047_kZrZt7

Forgot, here's some video of us too.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGA2W9mFaROQeP9nq1tpvygWiB0vladC3

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
If the price is right, buying a project is fine.

I just missed out getting a PA Inspected, drivable H1 for $6,000* instead of the $20-25,000 it was actually worth.

Even if I needed to replace a ton of parts, I would have came out way ahead.

Generally speaking, when buying used I looked for something that's stock, rather than dealing with someone else's half assed project.

* The guy who got it, had the money wired to the seller within 15 minutes of the ad posting. The guy kept his word despite getting offers for double the asking price and even more past that.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Post moved the r/c cars thread.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 19, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

While these are r/c trucks, I feel this is the most appropriate thread since it's all wheeling.

No, the most appropriate thread would be the R/C car thread.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Motronic posted:

I thought it was pretty cool, and if you don't like pictures of R/C 4x4s doing 4x4 things, then you're dead inside.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Motronic posted:

Fair enough, I'll move it over despite these all being 4x4's and out getting dirty. Dick.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I enjoyed the pictures too, I especially liked the pulling sledge. Does there end up being much difference between individual RC trucks ?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Missed out. Someone bought it for the $500. Doesn't really bother me. Okay, maybe a little, but I didn't want to pay the $500 for a couple of reasons. 1: I didn't have it. 2: Not worth it to me. It was an opportunity thing.

Here's the empty husk of the listing:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221152971843#ht_796wt_1160

Because it's gone it means I can put more money away to up the ante a little. drat shame I can't raise the extra in time for this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251184421568#ht_500wt_1416
It'd be pretty much a wet dream come true for me.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

My brother and I dragged the trucks out onto the trail over the turkey day weekend. No photos of my shitbox since I was the one taking pictures. The video below is from a gopro strapped to one of the rock bars on the truck. 35" tires, lockers, and crawler gears make fairly short work the trail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=equBFX47n7Y

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

murphle posted:

My brother and I dragged the trucks out onto the trail over the turkey day weekend. No photos of my shitbox since I was the one taking pictures. The video below is from a gopro strapped to one of the rock bars on the truck. 35" tires, lockers, and crawler gears make fairly short work the trail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=equBFX47n7Y

Good driving. I'm impressed with how good go pro cams look these days. When we started using them back in 09 they did not look good.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Love the truck. 93? 94? I have a '91 that, as I've gotten more serious about wheeling, has reached the end of its useful life with IFS.

I see you went with coils for your SAS. You start from scratch or with a kit? I'd love to see some buildup pics and details on the build at some point. What year axle is that? I was planning on leaves, but having recently traded my other, 2wd Toyota for a stock Cherokee, as well as wheeling a friend's modified Comanche, I am beginning to see the advantage of front coils.

Edit : I just assumed it had coils under it, the way it was flexing. I admit to not watching the entire video and only glancing at the photo.

|
v

ACEofsnett fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 30, 2012

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

ACEofsnett posted:

Love the truck. 93? 94? I have a '91 that, as I've gotten more serious about wheeling, has reached the end of its useful life with IFS.

I see you went with coils for your SAS. You start from scratch or with a kit? I'd love to see some buildup pics and details on the build at some point. What year axle is that? I was planning on leaves, but having recently traded my other, 2wd Toyota for a stock Cherokee, as well as wheeling a friend's modified Comanche, I am beginning to see the advantage of front coils.

If I recall correctly, the gray truck is a 93, 22RE 5spd. It's a standard leaf-spring swap though, no coils. The axle is an 85 from my old 4runner, which now has a wider Dana 44 under it. This truck has a bog-standard solid axle swap, with the IFS steering box shoved forward through the front clip a bit and the front axle sitting about 2 or 3 inches further forward than a "stock" solid axle would have sat on that frame/body. It makes for great tire fitment, they don't rub anywhere on the body.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-20555116

It occurs to me that the Norfolk Police may wish to shut the gently caress up about subjects they know nothing about.

The guy is driving on a known good base surface, at the right speed, with a good bow wave being maintained, and there's no real current or strong wind to gently caress things up. Textbook deep wading driving. He's no more irresponsible than the guy in the tractor coming the other way.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

TheFrailNinja posted:

Any idea on where I can find directions for removal and replacement of a 4x4 lever cable? My 1996 Sonoma 4x4 needs a new one, but the thing looks like it was never meant to be removed. It's as if it's encased in rubber on the floor of the truck, inside and outside. Half tempted to tie it to a stump and drive off, like it was a loose tooth. I've been looking around on s10 forum and googling up everything, but the majority of these s10/blazer trucks are button-4wd, though they all use vacuum actuation.

Cross posting from the stupid questions thread.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

It occurs to me that the Norfolk Police may wish to shut the gently caress up about subjects they know nothing about.

The guy is driving on a known good base surface, at the right speed, with a good bow wave being maintained, and there's no real current or strong wind to gently caress things up. Textbook deep wading driving. He's no more irresponsible than the guy in the tractor coming the other way.

Overreaction, sure, but in AZ we've had to enact a Stupid Driver Law to give the police a specific rule to punish drivers with when a BroTruck inevitably gets stuck when the driver tries to make it through two feet of rushing water during a flash flood.

Alternatively, they wouldn't have been as mad if he was wearing a high visiblity safety vest.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its a pretty cool feeling to throw the 4x4 lever, step on the gas and pass the line of cars, drive through the water/snow/mud as all the drivers give you blank looks and all the kids peer out the window with big grins.

I'm not much of an Ego person but its fun to feel superior to everyone else as they watch you drive off with the smug feeling of knowing you brought the right tools for the job.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I saw this too, and found it pretty annoying, he drove sensibly and well.

Although the ignorance was pretty clear when they said that water was seen seeping into the cabin. Anyone who has driven a land rover in the rain knows that it is standard vehicle performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Only reason I'd see that as irresponsible is if he wasn't sure if there was a washout. Since there wasn't one, it was fine.