Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
There's a few Halo LPs out there on the archive.

I haven't watched them as I don't really have much interest in the Halo franchise, but I've seen some of FrenzytheKillbot's LPs and he's pretty informational and interesting. I'd assume his Halo 3 LP would be pretty good.

And 19Letterslong has a Halo LP as well, thread here. I somewhat enjoy their Silent Hill LPs.

Dodecalypse fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Dodecalypse posted:

I haven't watched them as I don't really have much interest in the Halo franchise, but I've seen some of FrenzytheKillbot's LPs and he's pretty informational and interesting. I'd assume his Halo 3 LP would be pretty good.

Halo ODST isn't Halo 3 and I don't know why it is listed as such on the archive.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Dodecalypse posted:

There's a few Halo LPs out there on the archive.

And 19Letterslong has a Halo LP as well, thread here. I somewhat enjoy their Silent Hill LPs.

Uh..yeah. Halo 1, 2 and ODST, which isn't what I asked about.

I briefly checked a few on Youtube but the commentary on all of them was just obnoxious.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
So, TheGreatGildersneeze has been working on a Halo 3 LP for some time now, with the intention of doing Reach as well. I know his plan involves high production value and lots of the extra content included apart from the story. I'm not going to do one as long as it's still his intention to eventually get that going. Then again, I haven't talked to him in quite some time so maybe mentioning his name in here will be enough to get him to show up and comment.

Also, ODST is officially called "Halo 3: ODST".

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I want to put out a recommendation for DWK's CSI: Hard Evidence LP.

She's got a really nice style for the game, as she presents it really well. Sure, the game itself looks like crap to play, but it's still kind of fun guessing about a mystery and seeing someone else compare DNA samples. DWK has only been through one case so far and has just started the second (real life stuff came into it), but it's a pretty good LP. I just desperately feel it's not getting the love it should.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I'm going to offer up unfair's Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution threads. Unfair does really great commentary without intruding on the game. He's good about explaining why he's doing something or his strategies for taking on the game's missions. He also does a great job of editing out long bouts of waiting for guards to pass to keep the action going. It's a drat crime his threads aren't getting more attention than they are!

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

OatmealRaisin posted:

I'm going to offer up unfair's Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution threads. Unfair does really great commentary without intruding on the game. He's good about explaining why he's doing something or his strategies for taking on the game's missions. He also does a great job of editing out long bouts of waiting for guards to pass to keep the action going. It's a drat crime his threads aren't getting more attention than they are!

Yes this, those are some really chill and informative LPs.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'd like to recommend a group LP done right: Tales of Eternia.

It's a group LP with 4 people playing at once, and the production is top-notch. They're all audible and entertaining, and they don't talk over the voiced cutscenes much. The editing is great, they're cutting out or skipping over most of the random battles, minigames and backtracking, and they're even adding in little things in post like a map of the Forest of Temptation.

It's a high effort job, and on top of that, they're going to try and show off everything, all the little hidden secrets and scenes. More group LP's should have this level of quality and editing.

I also have a request for something that may be slightly unusual.

Does anyone know of an LP done of an story-driven RPG with a female protagonist? Not something like Diablo 2 or Divine Divinity where you can choose from a selection of generic heroes, but your choice doesn't change the underlying story at all.

All that I can think of are the Atelier series and Reccetear, but surely there must be more out there that have been LP'ed.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 19, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Does anyone know of an LP done of an story-driven RPG with a female protagonist? Not something like Diablo 2 or Divine Divinity where you can choose from a selection of generic heroes, but your choice doesn't change the underlying story at all.

I don't know if it's quite what you're looking for, but Kung-Fu Jesus did an LP of Final Fantasy XIII-2 that's up on the archives.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

I'd argue that the game is anything but "story-driven"

The whole thing is way too boring, please do not watch it.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
If you've got archives I did Jeanne D'Arc, which features, well, Jeanne D'Arc as its main character. It's an SRPG though so it might not be quite what you were looking for.

Also by mid-December or so I can reasonably guarantee you will have another LP of a game with a female protagonist active, and the world will be so much worse off for it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

I'd argue that the game is anything but "story-driven"

The whole thing is way too boring, please do not watch it.

Yeah, I remember opening that thread, reading the warning you helpfully posted to shoo out everyone, and deciding that it probably wasn't for me.

Related, I have heard about the Final Fantasy X-2 LP, but I'm waiting for the The Dark Id to finish the FFX thread first.

I haven't gotten around to reading Jeanne D'Arc yet, so I can take a look at that one. (I sure hope that the next LP you're doing doesn't have "Hyper" in the title.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 19, 2012

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Hey Feinne you've done those Disgaea games. Don't they feature a powerful anime girl as the protagonist, predominantly?

I was going to recommend Mass Effect if someone had played with the female Shepard, but no one has, apparently. That's weird.

Related, I have heard about the Final Fantasy X-2 LP, but I'm waiting for the The Dark Id to finish the FFX thread first.
I'm reasonably certain that FFX-2 does not absolutely require FFX knowledge to understand it, but I can't remember. A good candidate, though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Feinne posted:

If you've got archives I did Jeanne D'Arc, which features, well, Jeanne D'Arc as its main character. It's an SRPG though so it might not be quite what you were looking for.

Also by mid-December or so I can reasonably guarantee you will have another LP of a game with a female protagonist active, and the world will be so much worse off for it.

Are you doing the Neptunia games? Because that will be a thread worth watching, for one reason or another.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

All that I can think of are the Atelier series and Reccetear, but surely there must be more out there that have been LP'ed.

There's the original Phantasy Star:

http://lparchive.org/Phantasy-Star/

It's a Sega Master System game, so it's only as "story-driven" as console games got in the mid-80s, but it was one of the first games I ever played so I remember it fondly.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Metroid Fusion has an OK plot, especially for a GBA-action game, and the protagonist is, of course, female. The followup game, Other M, has more (terrible terrible bad bad) plot.

Here are the links:
http://lparchive.org/Metroid-Other-M/
http://lparchive.org/Metroid-Fusion/ (US version with sometimes hilarious commentary)
http://lparchive.org/Metroid-Fusion-(by-MeccaPrime)/ (japanese version with subs and somewhat more serious commentary, and some game breakage going on)

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Hey Feinne you've done those Disgaea games. Don't they feature a powerful anime girl as the protagonist, predominantly?

I was going to recommend Mass Effect if someone had played with the female Shepard, but no one has, apparently. That's weird.

I'm reasonably certain that FFX-2 does not absolutely require FFX knowledge to understand it, but I can't remember. A good candidate, though.

They do tend to prominently feature female characters, yeah.

Two of the plotlines of Eternal Poison have female protagonists, and that's on the archives.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Are you doing the Neptunia games? Because that will be a thread worth watching, for one reason or another.

I'm definitely going to do the second one, I may or may not do the first one and I may or may not do them in 'order' (they're not actually related per se, they're sort of like that pair of Stephen King books that had the same setting and characters but whose plots had nothing to do with each other and were mutually exclusive).

Feinne fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 19, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

I'd like to recommend a group LP done right: Tales of Eternia.

It's a group LP with 4 people playing at once, and the production is top-notch. They're all audible and entertaining, and they don't talk over the voiced cutscenes much. The editing is great, they're cutting out or skipping over most of the random battles, minigames and backtracking, and they're even adding in little things in post like a map of the Forest of Temptation.

It's a high effort job, and on top of that, they're going to try and show off everything, all the little hidden secrets and scenes. More group LP's should have this level of quality and editing.

Koudelka is right up your alley.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Kinda? I've read all those, but from the way the story focuses on Laharl in 1 and Mao in 3, I wouldn't say that the anime girl characters are the leads. The exception is Disgaea 2, where the male and female leads are equally important. Those are all great LP's, though.

quote:

I haven't gotten around to playing ME2 yet, so maybe it's different, but the effect of your gender choice in first Mass Effect was pretty minimal.

You may be right on FFX-2, but from some of the discussion in the FFX thread, it sounds like it to take place after the end of FFX, so I'll hold off on it.

(I've also read Eternal Poison, but I could re-read Phantasy Star, though.)

I'm not all that familiar with the Metroid games, I've only played Prime 1 and half of Metroid Prime 2, but with the exception of Other M, aren't they action games with a silent protagonist?

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

I'm not all that familiar with the Metroid games, I've only played Prime 1 and half of Metroid Prime 2, but with the exception of Other M, aren't they action games with a silent protagonist?

Yes. Those suggestions are most likely not what you're looking for; there's nothing "story-driven RPG" about them.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Septerra Core is an story-driven RPG with a female lead.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MeccaPrime posted:

Yes. Those suggestions are most likely not what you're looking for; there's nothing "story-driven RPG" about them.
Other M likes to think it's story driven.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Kaubocks posted:

Other M likes to think it's story driven.

Other M likes to think its a lot of things.

It's fun to play pretend, isn't it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

You may be right on FFX-2, but from some of the discussion in the FFX thread, it sounds like it to take place after the end of FFX, so I'll hold off on it.
It does. If you're interested in the story of FFX, then definitely hold off on FFX-2 as it has some pretty significant spoilers.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Well, there was Eien no Filena which was a jrpg, extremely odd, and very very japanese. Its unique to say the least.

VVVV: :smug:

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 19, 2012

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
http://lparchive.org/Eien-no-Filena/

Eien no Filena is basically the movie Gladiator, only Russel Crowe is a woman pretending to be a man. It was pretty interesting.

edit: fuuckkk

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Does anyone know of an LP done of an story-driven RPG with a female protagonist?

Wild Arms 3 features a female lead who also manages to not get roped into traditional JRPG gender tropes in the process, most of the time.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Going back a looong time now, but Nakar did an excellent and hilarious series of Ultima LPs playing a female anti-hero Avatar. They're best read in order though you could safely start from Ultima 6.

http://lparchive.org/Ultima-4-5-and-6/
http://lparchive.org/Martian-Dreams/
http://lparchive.org/Ultima-VII-The-Black-Gate/
http://lparchive.org/Ultima-VII-Part-2-Serpent-Isle/

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

cmndstab posted:

Going back a looong time now, but Nakar did an excellent and hilarious series of Ultima LPs playing a female anti-hero Avatar. They're best read in order though you could safely start from Ultima 6.

That sort of falls into "where you can choose from a selection of generic heroes, but your choice doesn't change the underlying story," though, doesn't it?

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Did you mean La Pucelle? And didn't Final Fantasy VI have a female main character?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yes, La Pucelle does have a female main character.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Keeshhound posted:

That sort of falls into "where you can choose from a selection of generic heroes, but your choice doesn't change the underlying story," though, doesn't it?

Yes, though Nakar adds significantly more colour and characterisation to the games with the way he handles it. Admittedly it's played for laughs more than anything else, though, which might not be what Stabbey is looking for.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Gonna go ahead and recommend this Kingpin: Life of Crime LP by Depressing Drawers. He has a very rambling, excitable style that's perfect for making less than stellar games (read: giant turds with some redeeming qualities) like this interesting to watch. Heck, he managed to make Postal 2: Apocalypse Weekend watchable, that's some achievement.

The editing is also top notch with added sound effects and all the backtracking parts nobody's interested in have been cut out.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Thoughtless posted:

Gonna go ahead and recommend this Kingpin: Life of Crime LP by Depressing Drawers. He has a very rambling, excitable style that's perfect for making less than stellar games (read: giant turds with some redeeming qualities) like this interesting to watch. Heck, he managed to make Postal 2: Apocalypse Weekend watchable, that's some achievement.

The editing is also top notch with added sound effects and all the backtracking parts nobody's interested in have been cut out.

It's worth mentioning, Kingpin's actually a pretty decent game in and of itself, it's just a game from 1999, so it's rough as hell and has some... questionable mechanics (motherfuckin' rats, yo), so it's not quite a mock LP on its own.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Seconding that - Depressing Drawers vocal stylings make me enjoy the LP a good bit, even if the game is crap (more referring to his postal 2 LP)

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Pickwick posted:

This makes me wonder: are there any other LPs where the speaker is drunk or otherwise intoxicated.

Lurkdawg, aka the best LPer the world has ever seen. http://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-A-Link-to-the-Past-(by-Lurkdawg)/

He does a video where he drinks a beer every time he dies, then dies so much he makes excuses for himself and starts doing half-beers, then eventually stops drinking and goes into a sort of drunk blackout trance as the video goes silent for 20 minutes.

It's not for everyone I guess but it's the funniest loving thing in the world to me.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Under the vegetable posted:

Lurkdawg, aka the best LPer the world has ever seen. http://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-A-Link-to-the-Past-(by-Lurkdawg)/

He does a video where he drinks a beer every time he dies, then dies so much he makes excuses for himself and starts doing half-beers, then eventually stops drinking and goes into a sort of drunk blackout trance as the video goes silent for 20 minutes.

It's not for everyone I guess but it's the funniest loving thing in the world to me.

It's a shame that 90% of the videos are dead thanks to google video :/

hurf i'm dumb missed the whole "backup" on the right

ferndavant
Jul 5, 2009

Because that's what doggies do! :3:
I'm looking for recommendations of LPs where I learn something from watching. I'm talking about something like the AC I and II Lps, or the Endless Ocean LPs. (What's the status on Endless Ocean 2 LP? Did that stall or is it just started? I only was looking at it through the website).

Anyway, are there any more LPs like that that I could learn from?

Thanks in advance.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The only one I can think of at the top of my head is Suspicious' ongoing Tomb Raider Megathread. He spends a lot of time discussing the history and culture of the locales you visit in the game, and since the protagonist's a globetrotter that means a lot of diverse information.

Oh, and Zorak has started his Endless Ocean 2 LP a while ago, so there's that, too.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

ferndavant posted:

I'm looking for recommendations of LPs where I learn something from watching. I'm talking about something like the AC I and II Lps, or the Endless Ocean LPs. (What's the status on Endless Ocean 2 LP? Did that stall or is it just started? I only was looking at it through the website).

Anyway, are there any more LPs like that that I could learn from?

Thanks in advance.

It's been brought up before in this thread, but there's also Egomaniac's recently finished Kenzan LP (though I think he has one more bonus update). He provides a lot of information on the life of Miyamoto Musashi, samurais, and the history of that time period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

a cartoon duck posted:

The only one I can think of at the top of my head is Suspicious' ongoing Tomb Raider Megathread. He spends a lot of time discussing the history and culture of the locales you visit in the game, and since the protagonist's a globetrotter that means a lot of diverse information.

Just wanted to second this. I think Suspicious has set the high-water mark for edutainment LPs.

• Locked thread