Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

TACD posted:

I know this has been brought up before and may be nothing to do with the app, but in the new version are there any logfiles or anything that could maybe help diagnose why I can never use it on 3G?

There are no logs, sorry.

I like the idea of detailed logs, especially when you can turn the detail up or down, and even more when separate components of an app have individually configurable log files. My problem is I find code littered with log statements unreadable.

We did put in a ton of logs when we had phantom networking problems in the past (which were resolved by removing the TestFlight framework), but I took them out as soon as I could.

And in case it isn't clear, I have no idea why Awful can't pull down data over 3G, especially when other apps work just fine. Let me know if you find anything though, I'll fix whatever problems we can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TACD posted:

I know this has been brought up before and may be nothing to do with the app, but in the new version are there any logfiles or anything that could maybe help diagnose why I can never use it on 3G?

Are you able to access SA using your browser on 3G? Maybe it's been categorised by your service provider as 'adult' and requires you to contact them to enable such sites? Just a thought.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pissflaps posted:

Are you able to access SA using your browser on 3G? Maybe it's been categorised by your service provider as 'adult' and requires you to contact them to enable such sites? Just a thought.
Holy poo poo, this was it exactly. Never even occurred as a possibility; thanks!

radge
Jan 21, 2005

O2 seems to block SA but you can bypass it by browsing directly to the IP. Would be nice if the app had the option for this.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

radge posted:

O2 seems to block SA but you can bypass it by browsing directly to the IP. Would be nice if the app had the option for this.
They mark it as an adult site. Just call them and verify your age to disable all filtering.

People make things so complicated! :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's some bullshit. I'd flip out if I found my ISP/carrier filtering what sites I can visit.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
T-mobile has a content guard by default until you turn it off. It didn't shitlist SA, oddly enough; I only discovered it because it blocked "weapons related sites" when I tried to look at something on midwayusa.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

xzzy posted:

That's some bullshit. I'd flip out if I found my ISP/carrier filtering what sites I can visit.

All UK carriers do this (afaik) because pay as you go is dominant and requires no age checks.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Thanks for all the hard work on this app, I love it! Any plans to add a "killed by" line in the thread lists?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I believe what pokeyman is going to eventually do is list "Posted by:" when you have not read any posts in the thread and then "Killed by:" if it's a thread you've partially read.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

I believe what pokeyman is going to eventually do is list "Posted by:" when you have not read any posts in the thread and then "Killed by:" if it's a thread you've partially read.

Yep.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Is there a way to refresh a thread while you're looking at it?

Edit: in the new Awful app

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
You can tap at the end of the thread where it says "tap to refresh". But if that is only on the beta version (a decent chance it is) you can use the "page x of y" option at the end of a thread and just tap "jump to page" to refresh.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

dutchbstrd posted:

You can tap at the end of the thread where it says "tap to refresh". But if that is only on the beta version (a decent chance it is) you can use the "page x of y" option at the end of a thread and just tap "jump to page" to refresh.

That tap to refresh text will be in 1.8.1 which is awaiting Apple's approval.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

The Dave posted:

That's what I thought. It's hard to tell which version you're on :(. Speaking of which, can a version number be added to the settings page somewhere?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

dutchbstrd posted:

That's what I thought. It's hard to tell which version you're on :(. Speaking of which, can a version number be added to the settings page somewhere?

It's on the list!

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Could we get a way to read archived threads through the app? There are some old LPs I'd like to catch up on, but from what I can tell there's no way to load an old thread in the app unless you see it linked somewhere.

Actually, I just went to test this and instead found that clicking links to any SA threads, old or new, in the app dumps me out to the home screen for some reason.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
I love this app. Very stable, very stylish, and no crashes yet! I have encountered one bug, though. I canvassed the last few pages, hopefully this hasn't been posted yet:

As you can see, there's a discrepancy in the most recent read page... sort of. When I click the thread in Awful, it goes to the most recent page I was reading just fine, so it's only an issue with the displayed number not updating properly. Weirdly enough, I read a page on the Awful app, and:

:psyduck:

So it's not a big deal with a thread I'm still catching up on like the CAD thread, but it is a little annoying with a thread that I'm checking for updates.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

The Dave posted:

Awesome thanks. :)

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Not sure if this has been addressed, but is there any plan to set it to view your post once you've posted? Right now it jumps to the top of the current page, which is a hair annoying.

Otherwise I'm loving the new version!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

The Gasmask posted:

Not sure if this has been addressed, but is there any plan to set it to view your post once you've posted? Right now it jumps to the top of the current page, which is a hair annoying.

Otherwise I'm loving the new version!
Oh, I forgot about this. Yes, I agree that this would be great.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It's on the list.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

I love this app. Very stable, very stylish, and no crashes yet! I have encountered one bug, though. I canvassed the last few pages, hopefully this hasn't been posted yet:

As you can see, there's a discrepancy in the most recent read page... sort of. When I click the thread in Awful, it goes to the most recent page I was reading just fine, so it's only an issue with the displayed number not updating properly. Weirdly enough, I read a page on the Awful app, and:

:psyduck:

So it's not a big deal with a thread I'm still catching up on like the CAD thread, but it is a little annoying with a thread that I'm checking for updates.

We'll handle this much better in the new version. In the meantime, it should get the right count if you refresh the list of threads.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ignore this

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
Wow, I always forget that most stuff has that 'pull down to refresh' feature. :doh: Yeah, that fixes it just fine. Thank you :)

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if this has been brought up in the past, but some font size options would be nice. Sometimes things can be a bit small on the iPad.

Edit: Of course, it's on the page after the one I stopped searching for "font" on to make this post. Looking forward to it!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Hey I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but here it goes.

So I've downloaded the app on my ipad and have been forcing myself to use it and get used to the set-up/interface.

One suggestion and or comment that I'd like to make. When viewing a thread in landscape mode, is it possible to remove the navigation bar like it does when viewing in portrait mode? I'm not a huge fan of it taking up 1/3 of the screen.

Also is there a way that you could add the smilie code cheat sheet into the app?

Other than that I'm really digging it.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I miss the panel with the BBCode keys (brackets, frontslash, colon, whatever else).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The menu doesn't do it for you?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Menu? I only get the standard iOS keyboard:

Fake edit: oh, it's in the copy/paste popup now? I think I do still prefer the old way, though.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Beastie posted:

When viewing a thread in landscape mode, is it possible to remove the navigation bar like it does when viewing in portrait mode? I'm not a huge fan of it taking up 1/3 of the screen.

I'd check the links in the OP, as in the new version (as in a different app) has this. If you've just searched for 'Awful' in the App Store, you probably have the old abandoned version.

Maybe the OP could be more clear about this, with the exact names of the apps + authors.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The old app got pulled, so all you see on a search are the two listed in the OP.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Ah, good.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Getting a very reliable crash every time I click a link in a post that leads to another thread; i.e. trying to use any of the links in Helldump Success Stories.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008
So which app should I get now for the 5? OP isn't really clear

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

DanManIt posted:

Here's a link.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

DanManIt posted:

Why don't you try both???

They're both optimized for the 5.

Awful SII MAXX is a fork of the original Awful app that first added ad-hoc iPad support and later, iPhone 5 support. It lacks the recent improvements in the new Awful app though.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Random very low priority feature request: iCloud syncing of favorites and settings!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Ethereal posted:

Random very low priority feature request: iCloud syncing of favorites and settings!

I'd love to see that somewhere down the line but I can see there's much more pressing and essential upgrades that take priority.

Streaming on WiFi would be great too, like Tweetbot. Where the thread list just constantly updates while you're viewing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ethereal posted:

Syncing favorites is a great idea.

I've thought about syncing settings before, but stopped because I figured people would want different settings on different devices. Looking through the current crop of settings, though, that seems pretty unlikely. And we can always have a "sync settings with iCloud" setting.

• Locked thread