Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Now I want a movie made where USAF PJs HAHO parachute into Army bases and take all of their Apaches by loading them into C-17s that then use JATO for taking off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Totally TWISTED posted:

Now I want a movie made where USAF PJs HAHO parachute into Army bases and take all of their Apaches by loading them into C-17s that then use JATO for taking off.

Needs more LAPES.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

This made me remember the magic of the BMD airdropped armoured fighting vehicle. This was the bogeyman of the Cold War-era Norwegian Army planners, and even though I've thought about it before, I'd never imagined just how insane that operation would actually look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwizQfIiBuQ

See those stains on their camo parkas? Some of those stains are brown.

e: do you think packers look at that video when they jerk it?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
What are the tiny parachutes near the bottom of the assembly for? They don't seem to be drogue chutes since they seemed to come open last.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sjurygg posted:

This made me remember the magic of the BMD airdropped armoured fighting vehicle. This was the bogeyman of the Cold War-era Norwegian Army planners, and even though I've thought about it before, I'd never imagined just how insane that operation would actually look.

http://youtu.be/NOSK-7Vrijg?t=6m20s

edit: gently caress all, I can't get the video to embed properly and start at the right time. Just click the link, it goes to the right time stamp that way.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 9, 2012

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Sjurygg posted:

My old platoon leader told a story about the time he met some Russian BMD crewmembers - two enlisted soldiers and an officer.

According to him, the officer got a three point safety harness and padding. "What about them?" he asked the officer. The officer barked an order in Russian, the two enlisted schlubs mimed a bracing position with their arms. In response to my PL's incredulous look, they both removed their hats to reveal some pretty gnarly scars from where their heads caught some equipment.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RROr86sqiP8

yikes

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

wdarkk posted:

What are the tiny parachutes near the bottom of the assembly for? They don't seem to be drogue chutes since they seemed to come open last.

Probably there to make sure that all the bigger parachutes spread out properly as they inflate - using a dozen smaller parachutes is probably nearly as much of a headache as designing a single big one.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Sjurygg posted:

That seems like a ridiculous amount of silk.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Oxford Comma posted:

That seems like a ridiculous amount of silk.

I imagine they have to do a lot of cleanup and arranging the silk before rolling out in order to avoid having hundreds of yards of silk wrapped up in their tracks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

I imagine they have to do a lot of cleanup and arranging the silk before rolling out in order to avoid having hundreds of yards of silk wrapped up in their tracks.

I don't know, it seems like the bundle 'o chutes is pretty carefully designed to blow and settle outwards once the vehicle lands. It wouldn't surprise me if they usually have enough room between the lines to drive out unimpeded.

I mean, if you are going to airdrop vehicles with crew in them it kind of defeats the whole purpose if the guys need to get out and clean up silk for 20 minutes after landing. The only advantage to having crew in there is that it is deployable immediately and you don't have to have the crews fight their way through a potentially hot LZ to their vehicles. If they need to get out and clear silk least they become immobilized in their first 15 seconds on the ground, then all the enemy needs is a couple well emplaced LMGs to effectively lock it down.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
They may not have to, but even if it's dropped manned, that means the crewed vehicle can provide overwatch while supporting infantry clear lines as needed, since you shouldn't be using armor without infantry support anyway.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

mlmp08 posted:

They may not have to, but even if it's dropped manned, that means the crewed vehicle can provide overwatch while supporting infantry clear lines as needed, since you shouldn't be using armor without infantry support anyway.

Until a parachute lands atop the vehicle and no one on the inside can see out.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Snowdens Secret posted:

The absurd lengths that Google/Amazon go to on these three points are well documented - hell, you can Google them - and don't require launching an appeal to authority.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/11/how-an-indonesian-isp-took-down-the-mighty-google-for-30-minutes/

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

This has nothing to do with ensuring data integrity, which was the point being made. Yes, DNS and several other structural underpinnings of the internet are extremely vulnerable to attack or even one mistake in the wrong place, but Google can't - at least not this week - rewrite the entire foundation of how the internet works.

Temporarily blocking access to and destroying data held by are two very, very different things.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Psion posted:

This has nothing to do with ensuring data integrity, which was the point being made. Yes, DNS and several other structural underpinnings of the internet are extremely vulnerable to attack or even one mistake in the wrong place, but Google can't - at least not this week - rewrite the entire foundation of how the internet works.
It was an article of interest relating to the inherent problems faced datacenter operators that no amount of preparation regarding the earlier mentioned touchpoints will cover for. Holy gently caress, you must be a real riot to drink with.

Psion posted:

Temporarily blocking access to and destroying data held by are two very, very different things.

You don't say?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I used to be really nerdy about military planes, thanks in no small part to the Discovery Channel. I've fallen behind, admittedly, but I'm still called on to identify planes during the Air & Water Show.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

It was an article of interest relating to the inherent problems faced datacenter operators that no amount of preparation regarding the earlier mentioned touchpoints will cover for. Holy gently caress, you must be a real riot to drink with.

You don't say?

Sorry I can't read your mind and discern the context you didn't say at all, champ. Maybe next time you'll remember that part.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Cool photo gallery from some Russian aircraft repair plant.

https://picasaweb.google.com/117990383296131038585/558_ARZ

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
So I've been trying for like the last month to take a day trip out to Castle Air Museum, inspired by the time I've spent reading this thread over the past year.

Stuff keeps getting in the way, though. First my friend threw out his back, and then a couple weeks ago I had to cancel at the last minute due to the Giants making the World Series (couldn't leave town on a game day, naturally). A good problem to have, I know, but it's been frustrating.

Has anyone been to this place? Maybe an anecdote could help tide me over until we have a rain-free weekend.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It has a B-36. How could you not?

Also sometime in the next few months (sorry, I can't be more precise) I'll be visiting Seattle's Museum of Flight; if anyone has a particular request I'll see what I can do.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
A video from the BBC about "Rubber Curtain", a key component in Russia's new carrier ability:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ShACteRduY

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Watching Strategic Air Command starring Jimmy Stewart. Does anyone ever watch these 1950's depictions of the military as, well, overly militaristic and think that it must have been just miserable to serve back then?

Also, I laughed at this entry in the IMDB:

The B-36 and B-47 bomber aircraft showcased in the film were such powerful deterrents against Soviet aggression in the 1950's that neither plane ever had to be used in combat, verifying the Strategic Air Command's motto of "Peace Is Our Profession."

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Oxford Comma posted:

A video from the BBC about "Rubber Curtain", a key component in Russia's new carrier ability:

:byodood:

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa

Oxford Comma posted:

They obviously stole the technology from the US and then put some different paint on it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Oxford Comma posted:

Our air mattress landing strip technology is clearly superior. :smugbert:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Which we copied from the British.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Lu6LEQ0zo

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm getting pretty tired of all these articles that proclaim that an 80-90% kill rate from Iron Dome is unprecedented and that no missile defense system has ever done that. As evidence, they tend to point to Patriot's failures circa 1991 rather than Patriot's nine for nine scorecard in 2003.

Also, Iron Dome isn't intercepting missiles, it's intercepting rockets :freep:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

I'd believe it if there's some super-spergy thing about something technically being a rocket or whatever, but when I think "intercpeting rockets" I think shooting at soviet surplus RPGs and the like. Maybe I'm just dense and/or ignorant, but it's my general gut impression.

Those Fajr-5s that have been lobbed out of Gaza are on an entirely different magnitude. I mean for gently caress's sake, they're liquid fueled, 6 meters long, and launched from a dedicated vehicle launch platform.

Whether or not that's still a "rocket" it's a loving hell of a step up from the normal katyusha-derriviative poo poo that used to be the staple of "angry people lobbing crap at Israel"

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

I'm getting pretty tired of all these articles that proclaim that an 80-90% kill rate from Iron Dome is unprecedented and that no missile defense system has ever done that. As evidence, they tend to point to Patriot's failures circa 1991 rather than Patriot's nine for nine scorecard in 2003.

THAAD and the SM-3 also had very impressive performance.

^Don't let D&D catch you suggesting anything shot out of Gaza is dangerous.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 20, 2012

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nothing much said about life in the West Bank right now. Are they just chilling, shaking their heads at the trolls in Gaza or is poo poo about to go down there too?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Nothing much said about life in the West Bank right now. Are they just chilling, shaking their heads at the trolls in Gaza or is poo poo about to go down there too?

I haven't heard about anything going on there, and I suspect what's going on in Gaza is wrapping up soon as well.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd believe it if there's some super-spergy thing about something technically being a rocket or whatever, but when I think "intercpeting rockets" I think shooting at soviet surplus RPGs and the like. Maybe I'm just dense and/or ignorant, but it's my general gut impression.

Those Fajr-5s that have been lobbed out of Gaza are on an entirely different magnitude. I mean for gently caress's sake, they're liquid fueled, 6 meters long, and launched from a dedicated vehicle launch platform.

Whether or not that's still a "rocket" it's a loving hell of a step up from the normal katyusha-derriviative poo poo that used to be the staple of "angry people lobbing crap at Israel"

The short of it is that rockets are unguided after launch. You set up an azimuth and angle and fire and it goes. Missiles have some kind of guidance system to speak of. Some do nasty things like maneuver in order to dodge intercepters and/or target an area you didn't expect them to target based on their trajectory.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Warbadger posted:

THAAD and the SM-3 also had very impressive performance.

Yeah, I just haven't used them because they have yet to shoot down anything in combat.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

The short of it is that rockets are unguided after launch. You set up an azimuth and angle and fire and it goes. Missiles have some kind of guidance system to speak of. Some do nasty things like maneuver in order to dodge intercepters and/or target an area you didn't expect them to target based on their trajectory.

So what's the story with platforms that can be either?

I've been reading up on the Fajr-5's and apparently they can be equipped with basic guidance suites for anti-shipping duties. Nothing too amazing or high-tec, but good enough to be "minute of BB" rather than "minute of city"

edit: not that Hamas has those (that I'm aware of), just getting spergy about technical distinctions.

editx2: so would this make a V2 a rocket while those early He-111 wire-guided anti-shipping V1 derivatives were missiles?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If it can be either, it depends how it's equipped. Note that I use rocket versus missile in the context of US air defense terminology. Brits will call a stone you throw a loving missile because they feel like it.

The wireguided V1 derivatives would be missiles, and actually, I think we call the V2 a ballistic missile as well because it used gyroscopes and the like to stay on course and some even used radio control for launch course correction IIRC.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

The wireguided V1 derivatives would be missiles, and actually, I think we call the V2 a ballistic missile as well because it used gyroscopes and the like to stay on course and some even used radio control for launch course correction IIRC.

:v: I used the V2 example precisely because (again, from what I've been reading, heavy dose of "Jane's might not know everything about everything" and all that) it seems the Fajr-5 has some kind of basic dial-a-city guidance and/or rudimentary course correction, a la V2.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Oops. I can't recall if it does or not. I could look it up, but the open source isn't very helpful and if I look it up at work tomorrow I can't post about it :downs:

edit: FWIW "Fajr 5 is a rocket rather than a missile. It is not guided as such. That is how we differentiate it," said Gareth Jennings, managing editor of IHS Jane's Missiles and Rockets.

http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/61088-fajr-5-five-times-the-range-of-home-made-rockets

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 20, 2012

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Discovery Wings :3:

That narrator owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mlmp08 posted:

As evidence, they tend to point to Patriot's failures circa 1991 rather than Patriot's nine for nine scorecard in 2003.

It's like...if you actually redesign a system almost from the ground up to intercept missiles it will do a much better job than bandaiding an anti-air system to try and intercept ballistic missiles.

Shocking!

Cyrano4747 posted:

:v: I used the V2 example precisely because (again, from what I've been reading, heavy dose of "Jane's might not know everything about everything" and all that) it seems the Fajr-5 has some kind of basic dial-a-city guidance and/or rudimentary course correction, a la V2.

Are you thinking of spin/fin stabilization? It's not guidance but if it's implemented effectively (like the FROG-7 for example) it can get your CEP down to 500-700 meters, which is well within "dial-a-city" guidance.