Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Carebear posted:

As far as I know, no one brought this possibility up. I will mention it to my mother. I hope they can save the leg, but the fact that his toes were sloughing off doesn't seem like a great sign.

I actually have a picture of the offending catheter, I'll post it in an edit.

I've never heard of potassium used in the levels of maintenance fluids being a problem getting into tissues in veterinary medicine - you've probably given an animal subq LRS, and that has potassium in it (not much, but it does).

If it was at a level where it might be a problem, and assuming that your kitty was fluid overloaded, then that would be heart-stopping levels, not leg sloughing levels.

Edit: Were the fluids 20% dextrose part of the clinic's standard procedure? That's pretty high for a peripheral vein (as opposed to using it in a central line).

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

huskyjackal posted:

just need me some glue!
:ohdear: I think I just saw UW go Superconsndar-nova. She skinned the last patient that said he was going to superglue his tooth back in.

(Kidding, and I know you were. Hope you can get what you need soon and without breaking yourself. Even my "family discount" isn't gonna help much - my grill is not "jacked up", it is on cinderblocks in the backyard.)

Undead Waterfowl
Dec 29, 2008

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

:ohdear: I think I just saw UW go Superconsndar-nova. She skinned the last patient that said he was going to superglue his tooth back in.

(Kidding, and I know you were. Hope you can get what you need soon and without breaking yourself. Even my "family discount" isn't gonna help much - my grill is not "jacked up", it is on cinderblocks in the backyard.)

Hahaha... I wasn't that bad. I knew she was kidding. But... yeah, no glue. I'm sure your dentist can get something for you before you go on your trip, HJ. We can get flippers done same day for emergencies like this. In fact, we did for my patient last week. Implants are pricey, but are also the best for this type of restoration. I know the pain of $$$ being the issue, though. If you ever want a second opinion, I'm in GA, but my boss would be happy to look at xrays and give his opinion. PM me if need be and we can talk about it. Good luck with all of it!

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish

HelloSailorSign posted:

I've never heard of potassium used in the levels of maintenance fluids being a problem getting into tissues in veterinary medicine - you've probably given an animal subq LRS, and that has potassium in it (not much, but it does).

If it was at a level where it might be a problem, and assuming that your kitty was fluid overloaded, then that would be heart-stopping levels, not leg sloughing levels.

Edit: Were the fluids 20% dextrose part of the clinic's standard procedure? That's pretty high for a peripheral vein (as opposed to using it in a central line).

Yeah, usually in maintenance fluids it's a fairly low concentration. Just throwing ideas around. Although if the IV infiltrated the potassium wouldn't necessarily have cardiac effects, since it would probably all be hanging around in the muscle, causing tissue damage.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Stregone posted:

Alice is quite petite, but I have heard of other GSDs that size before. 'Real' GSDs aren't supposed to be huge though, 50-70lb I think is what a female is supposed to weigh.

This is alice, I really need to get more 'nice' pictures of both of them...

Untitled by Michael Appleman, on Flickr

She looks very wise :3: I'm pretty sure Vecna's going to end up being a bit larger than the breed standard because he's heavier and taller (23") than is average for his age but who knows. He's going through another really awkward looking growth spurt right now and is pretty much all legs, nose, and ears.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

mickeymickey posted:

Yeah, usually in maintenance fluids it's a fairly low concentration. Just throwing ideas around. Although if the IV infiltrated the potassium wouldn't necessarily have cardiac effects, since it would probably all be hanging around in the muscle, causing tissue damage.

But I think what he's saying is if the cat was potentially fluid overloaded, then enough fluids were getting into the circulation that the concentration of K that would rapidly slough a leg should also be high enough to have cardiac effects before that would ever happen.

Could some of the damage possibly be attributed to ischemia/reperfusion injury?

edit: also has anyone figured out what the cause may be of the cat's signs?

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 19, 2012

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

huskyjackal posted:

Awwwyeah! I'm in northern KY. Last time this happened a couple years ago my dentist at the time put a bridge/crown on it. I hope to get a retainer before we leave for vacation. Calling dentist in the morning. I would kill for implants but I do not have insurance and pretty much ALL my teeth need repair/work done and it costs $3k per implant. :< One day. Thank you though! I can pop it right back in, too, just need me some glue!

You look exactly like someone I went to high school with :stare:

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
Yes, 20% dextrose seems to be standard.

Topoisomerase posted:

But I think what he's saying is if the cat was potentially fluid overloaded, then enough fluids were getting into the circulation that the concentration of K that would rapidly slough a leg should also be high enough to have cardiac effects before that would ever happen.

Could some of the damage possibly be attributed to ischemia/reperfusion injury?

edit: also has anyone figured out what the cause may be of the cat's signs?

He's in 'minor' heart failure (the word my mom used), and as far as I know, potassium infiltration wasn't a suspect. I do wonder now, though. I think they were leaning toward ischemia/reperfusion injury. Since the kitty was having some sort of inflammatory process going on (sorry, I don't remember how they worded it) I think it could be part of it. They also suspected a thrombus.

They are updating my mom in a few hours, assuming he's still alive. As far as to the cause - his liver isn't happy, and his lungs aren't happy either. They think the pulmonary effusion is from either pneumonia or a heart defect. Can he have pneumonia without showing signs of congestion?

Edit: The initial estimate is already over $4k, excluding a potential amputation. Cat is only 5 years old. :(

Carebear fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 19, 2012

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

What was the fluid rate? Were they correcting a deficit or giving maintenance?

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

Asstro Van posted:

You look exactly like someone I went to high school with :stare:
Gonna assume you didn't go to Villa Madonna, yea? I'M URRYWHURRR!

UW thank you so much, I'll ask if I can get a copy of the X-rays. I switched dentists and he took traditional X-rays instead of digital, might be harder for me to get. I'll ask. And thank you so much. I want implants really badly as I know amalgam won't last more than 10 years or so and some of my teeth are dead/so badly gone they are not salvageable (thanks, genetics and poor care as a young'n, PLUS amphetamine medication!), and my biggest nightmare was always to have bad teeth. Lucky me. We've done thousands in repairs so far and I hope maybe one day I can afford implants because they just aren't going to last and I don't want them pulled for dentures! :haw: Thanks so much!

Carebear I am so sorry to hear all this about poor kitty. :( I can't imagine what you and your mom are going through but I dearly hope things don't get worse and/or kitty is not suffering. The whole "toes no more" part of this really freaks me out!

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

huskyjackal posted:

Gonna assume you didn't go to Villa Madonna, yea? I'M URRYWHURRR!

Not even close. So I guess you didn't drop acid on a school outing or go temporarily blind at massage school? It's a shame, a follow up would have been cool...

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Leela has decided that she is not afraid of Aslan and he will just have to deal with her sass. It's hilarious. He has no idea how to handle it. She's not running up and attacking him or hiding from him like the cats he has at home, and it is breaking his brain.

Thankfully for him she decided to go upstairs and snuggle up in my bed, or I think he'd have confused himself into a tizzy by now.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

Leela has decided that she is not afraid of Aslan and he will just have to deal with her sass. It's hilarious. He has no idea how to handle it. She's not running up and attacking him or hiding from him like the cats he has at home, and it is breaking his brain.

Thankfully for him she decided to go upstairs and snuggle up in my bed, or I think he'd have confused himself into a tizzy by now.

Cats that aren't afraid of dogs are great. They confuse the poo poo out of the dog which is entertaining as hell to watch!

Also my brother and his now fiance got a dog! He used to always talk about getting a Pit when he had the space and money. They got a Pomeranian, which is LIKE a pit I guess :v:

We also need more pictures of our favorite tripod greyhound. :mad:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I guess :rolleyes:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

"I'll just help myself, don't worry about it."

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Missed a couple:

Pizza? For me? Really?!

I regretted that one immensely.

Husker and Murphy were no match for the awesome power of a fully operational four-month-old puppy.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I love Husker. Do you ever just grab him by the (very long) nose and shake it for no reason? I used to do that with the greyhounds at work. :3:

Also they put those long noses to good use sometimes. They can really sniff a crotch. :catstare:

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Oh my god, I just got back from only six hours at work. In that time, Beck decided I wasn't coming back. To deal with her grief, she piled all the blankets and a bunch of my dirty socks up on the bed to make a weird/sad dog nest.

Beck you creepy loving nerd

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

I love Husker. Do you ever just grab him by the (very long) nose and shake it for no reason? I used to do that with the greyhounds at work. :3:

Also they put those long noses to good use sometimes. They can really sniff a crotch. :catstare:

I don't do it very often, but my husband likes to. He does it like he's shaking hands with Husker's nose. I sometimes like to put my palm flat out on the bridge of his nose with my fingers on his forehead. He tolerates just about anything.

And yeah, no crotch is safe. He's also really good at reaching into tight spaces after a dropped treat.

He and Aslan went out and investigated something interesting under the piles of leaves in the back yard earlier. Sadly my phone camera doesn't have a good enough zoom for a video at that distance. They were doing Very Serious Business out there.

Fake edit:
Aslan ate some of Husker's kibble yesterday and his poops were RANK - and they smelled a lot like Husker's horrifying farts. He's also been a little bored with his food lately. So I think I'm going to be comparison shopping soon to look for a different brand for him. I think he'll always be gassy, but maybe a different brand would make them less deadly...

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 19, 2012

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Wheats posted:

Oh my god, I just got back from only six hours at work. In that time, Beck decided I wasn't coming back. To deal with her grief, she piled all the blankets and a bunch of my dirty socks up on the bed to make a weird/sad dog nest.

Beck you creepy loving nerd

Bailey literally sucked through the toes of some of my socks- when he rips things, he tends to grind it up, but these socks just had big, wet holes on the toes and everything else was intact.

I guess I was gone too long or my dog is a weirdo perv.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

lol

(the greyhound was actually owned by a Crazy Old Man who started ranting to us about badgers I don't even know)

We found some, like, quartz or something? I took it home anyway :3:

I asked this dude if his sheep were Shetland sheep and they totally were :smug: yeah it's me I'm the sheep nerd.

Dogs.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

notsoape posted:

(I asked this dude if his sheep were Shetland sheep and they totally were :smug: yeah it's me I'm the sheep nerd.

Please tell me that Shetland sheep, like the sheepdogs and ponies are short, stubby and hairy. On second thought, is everything from Shetland short, stubby and hairy?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:confused:

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/pet/3421574375.html

What the gently caress is going on in those last two pictures? Is that just like, dog bondage or something? Because they don't look like the pull harnesses I've seen.

Undead Waterfowl
Dec 29, 2008

huskyjackal posted:

UW thank you so much, I'll ask if I can get a copy of the X-rays. I switched dentists and he took traditional X-rays instead of digital, might be harder for me to get. I'll ask. And thank you so much. I want implants really badly as I know amalgam won't last more than 10 years or so and some of my teeth are dead/so badly gone they are not salvageable (thanks, genetics and poor care as a young'n, PLUS amphetamine medication!), and my biggest nightmare was always to have bad teeth. Lucky me. We've done thousands in repairs so far and I hope maybe one day I can afford implants because they just aren't going to last and I don't want them pulled for dentures! :haw: Thanks so much!

You're welcome! Glad to help if I can. Yeah, you've got a bad hand, but good for you on trying to get it all fixed and I'm sure you'll get something figured out. Any info I may have that might help is yours. I've been in the biz around 11 years now, so if you have any questions, I'm up for a brain picking!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What the gently caress is going on in those last two pictures? Is that just like, dog bondage or something? Because they don't look like the pull harnesses I've seen.

Looks like studded out leather biker jackets... but with dog harnesses.

I'd totally buy one and put it on a pomeranian or something equally not threatening.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

They're meant to look TUFF on a TUFF DAWG. They don't actually do anything useful. :v:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Bash Ironfist posted:

They're meant to look TUFF on a TUFF DAWG. They don't actually do anything useful. :v:

ambully.txt

Bailey saw me packing his food for his Turkey Day trip to the boarding facility and pissed and moaned about not being fed it. I have to send the rest of his steroid pills with him. Should I buy and pack some pill pockets in with it?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Looks like studded out leather biker jackets... but with dog harnesses.

I'd totally buy one and put it on a pomeranian or something equally not threatening.

And now I know what I'm buying Keeper for Christmas.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Captain Foxy posted:

And now I know what I'm buying Keeper for Christmas.

http://www.hotdogcollars.com/1914-T...CFQinPAodajMA7g

It comes in pink.

E: :nws: Or if you REALLY wanna go all out, I guess: http://www.all-about-pitbull-dog-breed.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=530

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Oh god. Oh god. I'd get a pink one for Feldman in a heartbeat if they weren't so much money. Or maybe a black one for my brother's Pom, Ginger. :v:

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Just a heads up. You are the one making this creepy and weird.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
That is the funniest picture I have ever seen.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
The dog doesn't know why he must wear the BDSM but he is ashamed to wear it

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

A few minutes ago, Bailey got up from the couch and loudly went into his kennel and sat there, staring at me while I was on the computer. I waited for a few minutes (figured he was just getting a toy) and when I turned around he was still starring at me, waiting.

He put himself to bed and wanted me to tuck him in. He's the weirdest dog and I love him for it.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Pretty gross. Ok, maybe not too gross, but definitely odd.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

wtftastic posted:

A few minutes ago, Bailey got up from the couch and loudly went into his kennel and sat there, staring at me while I was on the computer. I waited for a few minutes (figured he was just getting a toy) and when I turned around he was still starring at me, waiting.

He put himself to bed and wanted me to tuck him in. He's the weirdest dog and I love him for it.

Buddy does this all the time. :3: It's the main reason he still gets crated at night after all these years.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Max used to try to make me go to bed with him when he was tired (at like, 9) but eventually gave up and he tucks himself in now. Before he'd make a show of going upstairs, then if I didn't follow he'd stand at the top of the stairs and whine till I went to see what was wrong then he'd jump into bed and stare at me.

Now he just goes up by himself and whenever I come upstairs later he's already passed out on my bed and seems annoyed when I turn on the light to get ready for bed.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*
omg tucked-in doggies are so adorable. My friend's Doxie will pull the blanket over himself and only his nose sticks out, it is too drat cute.

Diaz sez

HAY
HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY
WUT U DOIIIINNN'?? WHATS THAT? HUH? HEY WANNA GO DO SOOOMMEETHHIIIN? HAAAAY
HAY HAY
hi

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

wtftastic posted:

I was up much later than usual a couple nights ago. Shortly before I was ready to go to bed, my roommate came into the office where I was working and asked if i'd seen Jazz. I told him she'd come in a while before, but I hadn't seen her since. A thorough search of the living room, kitchen and office resulted in 0 dog. I was getting concerned. I mean she's tiny, but it's still not that easy to lose her. Finally I thought to check the crate in my room which is where I put Tango and her for the night. Sure enough, she'd put herself to bed. They are never in those crates in my room unless it's bed time. I guess when she'd come into the office briefly, that was to tell me it was time. It was very funny :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Though they tend to only want it at naptime, not bed time.

• Locked thread