Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reverse Arab
Feb 14, 2010

Inferior Third Season posted:

You definitely don't need to even be in college. A field trip to the natural history museum during elementary school should suffice for anyone that doesn't have the burden of ultra-religious parents.

Even Rick Santorum is for teaching Evolution. Even Santorum. God drat how is this an issue still?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's so awesome that the GOP is so batshit that candidates have to hedge their answers on evolution.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Joementum posted:

And actually, his real name is Joe Biden. "Beau" is a nickname given to distinguish him from his father.

He'll probably run for Governor or Senator next time there's an opportunity. 2016 would be too soon for a national campaign, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him try later.

He's an impressive dude. He's a popular and effective attorney general, served in Iraq, great on wall street issues. ect...

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Reverse Arab posted:

Even Rick Santorum is for teaching Evolution. Even Santorum. God drat how is this an issue still?

...he is? Where did you see this? I find it really hard to believe, given how loving crazy he is.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

He's an impressive dude. He's a popular and effective attorney general, served in Iraq, great on wall street issues. ect...

Yeah but what kind of car does he drive?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Sir Tonk posted:

Yeah but what kind of car does he drive?

What's even more important is what magazines you'll find in the seat pockets.

Reverse Arab
Feb 14, 2010

Alter Ego posted:

...he is? Where did you see this? I find it really hard to believe, given how loving crazy he is.

He left the board of a Christian law group after it took a suit defending intelligent design in schools (Source). Rereading the controversy around that, it looks more like it was a political move than anything, but regardless. Even Rick Santorum wasn't willing to force schools to teach Intelligent Design.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

And he had a mild stroke in 2010, at age forty-one. That's a bit concerning.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

mcmagic posted:

So the obvious question is what sex scandal will break while he's at the Iowa State Fair.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Badger of Basra posted:

I've heard Kamala Harris mentioned by some people as a possible nominee. She doesn't seem too bad to me but she would face a lot of problems with name recognition among non-Californians and people who didn't pay attention to the settlement last year.

Kamala Harris won't be ready for some time. She only got elected AG two years ago, and before that she was just the District Attorney for San Francisco. She's still building up name recognition in California. I'd expect her to run for governor in 2014 or 2018 though, depending on whether Brown goes for reelection.

Ammat The Ankh fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 19, 2012

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

He's Catholic. They believe a bunch of ridiculous and wacky things, but they tossed in the towel on evolution a long time ago. Their M.O. is to simply assert things that can't ever be proven or disproven (life starts at conception, this piece of bread is chemically still bread but is actually God, etc.), and not so much to go toe-to-toe with science.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Clinton sounds like Cheney light judging by what he's gone through, and people seem inclined to abrogate term limits, if it means getting him back.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That's never been a barrier before. If we can have presidents who are morbidly obese, wheelchair bound, and MS sufferers...

(Oh, like you wouldn't vote for Martin Sheen for president. I'd vote for him for anything he asked.)

I doubt it would be a major stumbling block. Health concerns didn't stop McCain from trying, and it wouldn't have been a great factor had he not picked Palin.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ufarn posted:

Clinton sounds like Cheney light judging by what he's gone through, and people seem inclined to abrogate term limits, if it means getting him back.

The revisionist history of Bill Clinton's term is getting hard to take.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

mcmagic posted:

The political memory on both sides is horrible. Recently, Rachel Maddow said that Republicans' entire criticism of Obama is that he hasn't done enough.

Sometimes, people have no loving clue even when it's going on, much less when it's in the past.

I'm not really comfortable with the idolatry of Biden either, and he's not been the best friend of people who hate the Hollywood lobby, if I recall correctly.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Reverse Arab posted:

Not exactly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLo_jfru8jA

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Teddybear posted:

That's never been a barrier before. If we can have presidents who are morbidly obese, wheelchair bound, and MS sufferers...

I don't know about FDR's pre-POTUS life, but my understanding is that the Secret Service was very careful and tried to make it almost impossible to take and publish a photograph of FDR in a wheelchair.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
We have a black President. We very nearly had a Mormon President and a woman President. Those barriers are significantly higher than health concerns unless they truly are drastic. It'll be a media obsession if Chris Christie or Joe Biden run, but it won't come close to being a significant factor in voters' decision, though I think both will have trouble with just the physical exertion of the campaign.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know about FDR's pre-POTUS life, but my understanding is that the Secret Service was very careful and tried to make it almost impossible to take and publish a photograph of FDR in a wheelchair.

Valid point, valid point. Back then you probably could get away with hiding physical disability much more easily than today. Still, though, I don't think it'd be a major obstacle to election nowadays; one of the country's greatest heroes, Medal of Honor recipient and currently person most disserviced by the Natural Born Citizen requirement Sen. Daniel Inouye got shredded by a grenade, and he's been Senator from Hawaii since essentially Hawaii was given senators.

I mean, that might be different, because it's a war wound; Tammy Duckworth is a similar situation. I doubt though that anyone would be dumb enough or callous enough to make it a campaign issue.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Teddybear posted:

person most disserviced by the Natural Born Citizen requirement

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he satisfy the Natural-Born requirement since he was born in Hawaii, even before it was a state? (obviously though he's too old to be even considered for a presidential run).

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Teddybear posted:

I'm not talking about issues with voters. I mean concerning in the sense that the lifestyle of the President (or someone campaigning for President) is a setup for a guy with known cerebrovascular disease at an early age to have a major stroke. While otherwise the guy looks great on paper, I wouldn't be surprised if his family attempted to dissuade him from that career choice.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he satisfy the Natural-Born requirement since he was born in Hawaii, even before it was a state? (obviously though he's too old to be even considered for a presidential run).
The only place where "natural born citizen" exists in law is in the Constitution, and it is not explicitly defined there, and there isn't any major case history about it, so it is not definite either way.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If he was a citizen at the time of his birth (as a result of being born in the US or born to US citizen parents), then he is a natural born citizen. I think that Hawaiians during the period where it was a Territory were citizens (as Puerto Ricans are today), but I'm not certain of that.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Joementum posted:

If he was a citizen at the time of his birth (as a result of being born in the US or born to US citizen parents), then he is a natural born citizen. I think that Hawaiians during the period where it was a Territory were citizens (as Puerto Ricans are today), but I'm not certain of that.
Being born in the U.S. certainly counts, but being born to American parents in a foreign country hasn't been stress-tested by the courts yet to say definitively. However, your interpretation is the most popular legal opinion on the matter by far, and would have a 99.99% chance of getting through the courts if we actually elected someone President or Vice President in that situation.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

We have a black President. We very nearly had a Mormon President and a woman President. Those barriers are significantly higher than health concerns unless they truly are drastic. It'll be a media obsession if Chris Christie or Joe Biden run, but it won't come close to being a significant factor in voters' decision, though I think both will have trouble with just the physical exertion of the campaign.
You could very well argue that being deprived of the benefit of coffee alone could shipwreck your campaign and public appearances.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I just want to say, gently caress Bill Clinton. I mean, I understand the appeal, I really do. I was there when he defended DADT because the gays and the progressives weren't there to back him up when it came time, and I believed him for a good 48 hours because he's just that good. But Bill Clinton was born a motherfucker, lived as a motherfucker, and will die as a motherfucker, and we are all better off with him batting for the democrats yet incapable of having any further political career.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Joementum posted:

Why Joe Biden? Just his age? Reagan was old when he took office.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mcmagic posted:

Reagan was old when he took office.

This is a really good argument for not electing someone that old.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Why Joe Biden? Just his age? Reagan was old when he took office.

Reagan was effectively senile upon taking office, I have no idea what the gently caress all of you alive and voting in the 80s were smoking.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Nonsense posted:

Reagan was effectively senile upon taking office, I have no idea what the gently caress all of you alive and voting in the 80s were smoking.

Americans loving love a novelty vote, man. How do you think Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jesse Ventura, and Dead Mel Carnahan won their elections?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Joementum posted:

This is a really good argument for not electing someone that old.

It's an argument that the people who would make his age an issue won't have a leg to stand on.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nonsense posted:

Jimmy Carter called Americans a bunch of entitled assholes, so they decided to teach him! :argh:

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Jimmy Carter called Americans a bunch of entitled assholes, so they decided to teach him! :argh:

I came to realize that the Crisis of Confidence speech was the last time a sitting American President was actually completely honest with the American People.

That's kinda sad.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rubio has now walked back some of his statements from that GQ interview.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I'm glad Pitbull is Republican, because it'll save a lot of me gagging when the next Democratic Latino president starts being hip and cool with the Latin Music crowd and completely ignores his rear end.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

redmercer posted:

Americans loving love a novelty vote, man. How do you think Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jesse Ventura, and Dead Mel Carnahan won their elections?

Stupidly crowded recall field, Norm Coleman, and John Ashcroft.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Teddybear posted:

I mean, that might be different, because it's a war wound; Tammy Duckworth is a similar situation. I doubt though that anyone would be dumb enough or callous enough to make it a campaign issue.

Nope.

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug

Nonsense posted:

I'm glad Pitbull is Republican, because it'll save a lot of me gagging when the next Democratic Latino president starts being hip and cool with the Latin Music crowd and completely ignores his rear end.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2012/11/pit_bull_joining_barack_obama.php

I think he might just be a front runner

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Man celebrities changing their mind every four years. Deport all of Hollywood and save America!

edit: Remember Tim Pawlenty's youtube video announcing his candidacy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Nonsense posted:

edit: Remember Tim Pawlenty's youtube video announcing his candidacy?

I vaguely remember motocross being involved.

• Locked thread