Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

casa de mi padre posted:

This is a pretty reasonable substitute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8faq5amdK30

Hate this guy's posters so much. Every face! Poorly drawn Poorly traced! Some other elements from the movie! Pack it all together!

Fixed that for you. I think that's why I dislike his posters, it looks like someone cut out stuff from a bunch of stills from the movie and ran it through a filter. Even those weird lines all over everyone's faces feels more like a vector algorithm making GBS threads itself as it tries to deal with a gradient rather than anything actually artistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Maarak posted:

Remember when they used to make music video tie ins?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvYEdmW47gQ

It's a shame that John Carpenter and the Coup De Villes never made one for The Thing.

Continuing the 80s theme,

and the corresponding music video tie in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf4x36XKhsM

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 6, 2014

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

You know, the reservoirs dogs poster is a tiny bit better,but still bad, only because I can see the shapes of people in there, and all the tiny lines don't distract me from the central elements.

The others ones? Ugh. Everything,everywhere!!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Have any of you guys ever seen a Tyler Stout poster in real life? Didn't think so. They're not designed to be viewed as 600 x 400 jpgs on a webpage, shocking as that may be.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Mister Chief posted:

Have any of you guys ever seen a Tyler Stout poster in real life? Didn't think so. They're not designed to be viewed as 600 x 400 jpgs on a webpage, shocking as that may be.

I don't think it's the resolution that's the problem here...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

So you've never seen one, got ya.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Chief posted:

I tend to find that lovely Photoshop filter jobs do not improve when enlarged.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
The concept of a movie poster just being "Look at all this poo poo that was in the movie! Radical! Look!" is the same no matter how big or small the poster is

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Mister Chief posted:

Have any of you guys ever seen a Tyler Stout poster in real life?

Yeah, I have. It looked like overly-stylized, poorly realized garbage.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is there really a need to be so hyperbolic? Clearly an awful lot of people like his art style and think the posters he creates are very good but apparently they're absolute garbage and I should throw mine in the trash.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mister Chief posted:

Is there really a need to be so hyperbolic? Clearly an awful lot of people like his art style and think the posters he creates are very good but apparently they're absolute garbage and I should throw mine in the trash.

You're taking this very personally. Some people just don't like his style, I think it looks awful personally, overly-busy and clearly traced, but hey, if you like it and own one then good on you.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mister Chief posted:

The Thing poster is incredibly inappropriate when it comes to representing the film itself.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I'd say it's hit and miss. The colours in Big Trouble are great but the faces do seem over drawn. The Thing is just way to busy, but that same crowded look works well for his Tarantino stuff I think.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Yeah, that's what I said. That's who I am. The fact-bearer. I inly dispense truths. No opinions here.

Don't be such a baby. You asked if people had seen a Stout poster in person, I had, I gave my opinion of the poster I saw.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'd say it's hit and miss. The colours in Big Trouble are great but the faces do seem over drawn. The Thing is just way to busy, but that same crowded look works well for his Tarantino stuff I think.

It's a style that only ever works by happenstance, ignoring the aesthetic concerns, it's always the same composition and design for movies that are wildly different.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dan Didio posted:

It's a style that only ever works by happenstance, ignoring the aesthetic concerns, it's always the same composition and design for movies that are wildly different.

True, but I don't think those that benefit from the style are weakened by those that don't.

Who did this fantastic Gremlins poster? It's a similar style but better execution.

e: Ken Taylor, Google is my friend.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 20, 2012

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

So you've never seen one, got ya.

You're right, I forgot its a magical poster that becomes suddenly clever and thoughtfully designed when viewed with the naked eye. :jerkbag:

Are you him? Are you Tyler Stout? You can tell us.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Mister Chief posted:

Tyler Stout is the Mark Rothko of posters.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Who did this fantastic Gremlins poster? It's a similar style but better execution.

e: Ken Taylor, Google is my friend.
This is a good poster because it presents just the right amount of information, it's well-rendered, and it's thematically appropriate (the bad Gremlin looming over Mowgli).

Stout's posters manage none of this ever.

Fun game to play - count the Luke Skywalkers! Can you find the tiny Vader?

And you can even have a lot of stuff in your poster and still make it work! Here is an example to cleanse your palate.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

True, but I don't think those that benefit from the style are weakened by those that don't.

No, but I find it does tend to undermine any consideration of craftsmanship and the ones that it doesn't work for, it really doesn't.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

casa de mi padre posted:

Look at this loving mess. That's just god awful in every way.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Christ, I've never been a big fan of those posters but they aren't terrible garbage for stupid idiots. They're still a thousand times better than most Hollywood posters.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

Christ, I've never been a big fan of those posters but they aren't terrible garbage for stupid idiots. They're still a thousand times better than most Hollywood posters.

Compare them to the original posters of their movies though, they're never as good.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

What's the person with the buns on her head noticing to the left that everyone else is blissfully unaware of?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Burn all movie posters

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Phew finally got that giant bust of Vader sketched. Maybe I'll draw another little Vader just hanging out underneath this one.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

They have a certain appeal to nerds who like to go "See? It's the thing from the movie! Dude! It's the thing from the movie!"

Like those minimalist posters that have a vector drawing of a coffee cup or a pencil or something and 90% of the people who are fans of the goddamn movie can't figure out what it's supposed to mean.

But really since these posters are being sold as art objects there should be some attempt to actually create good compositions. Something that's appealing to look at in itself.

Olly Moss isn't exactly setting the world on fire with innovative design but they're pretty good compositions while still working within "gotta make this appealing to nerds" limits.

I really wish I could own the Star Wars and ESB ones without the character outlines. :(

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Oh, those are good. The Empire/Boba Fett one's my favorite, but they're all good (although I think they're reaching a bit with sketching Vader's mask out of tree branches).

I don't like how all three use different logos for the films, though.Could do with some standardization there.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
He's basically using the original logos from the original posters. I like things like that with fan/alternative posters, makes it feel more authentic. And the logos are kind of iconic in their own way.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Those Olly Moss Star Wars posters are good. They aren't Earth shattering or anything, but they're pleasant to look at. I find Tyler Stout's posters to be ugly and almost offensive to look at.

Whenever I see minimalist fan posters all I can think about is that one for "Heat" with the two coffee cups. I kept thinking "Are those paddles? Frying pans?" until someone pointed out what it actually was. There are some cool minimalist posters out there but the vast majority of them crap.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

mobby_6kl posted:

Continuing the 80s theme,

and the corresponding music video tie in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf4x36XKhsM

This poster is uninspired:

But this video is not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_QRKfv8H4

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hanks sounds like he belongs in a Beastie Boys cover band.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Not a huge fan of Tyler Stout's work, but I do like his Wrath of Khan print.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I like Tyler Stout's posters because it reminds me of an idealized version of someone scribbling stuff on their junior high notepad; there's barely any consistency in placement or style, more and more stuff seems to be getting added almost as an afterthought and it's just kind of colored in with red and black, the two most likely colors of pen you'd have in your backpack or whatever. I actually find it really charming and cool. It's obviously over-wrought and over-lined on purpose.

And I have a degree in graphic design so I'm automatically in the right :colbert:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have a degree in graphic design and I think his posters are balls.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

feedmyleg posted:

Oh yeah well in this scenario regdates are the tie-breaker SO WHAT NOW

Wendell
May 11, 2003

casa de mi padre posted:

This is a good poster because it presents just the right amount of information, it's well-rendered, and it's thematically appropriate (the bad Gremlin looming over Mowgli).

That's actually Gremlin Stripe looming over Mogwai Stripe, but it probably should have been Gizmo, you're right. And you've also confused Mogwai/Mowgli/Gizmo.

Phew!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

feedmyleg posted:

I designed your avatar, and I like them, and I poo poo POSTERS, NOW WHAT?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Who the hell bought me an avatar and how long have I had this :psyduck:

e: I was under the impression that I didn't have an avatar. That's what I get for having them turned off I guess.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 20, 2012

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

feedmyleg posted:

e: I was under the impression that I didn't have an avatar. That's what I get for having them turned off I guess.

Ahaha, you've had that forever dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

feedmyleg posted:

Unless I'm mistaking you for somebody else, you've had that since I registered.