Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

As someone who is in the same boat, play NSMBU. It's way better than NSMB2. YOU CAN RIDE YOSHI FOR FUCKS SAKE ITS BEEN HOW LONG LIKE 20 YEARS gently caress

Did everyone forget about Yoshi in Super Mario Sunshine, Galaxy 2 or NSMB Wii?????? It really hasn't been that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Gendo posted:

I hope all the new consoles are cool and release a bunch of good games. It would be difficult for me to care less about which individual console is more successful than another.

It's games. Let's play fun games.

Supercar Gautier posted:

You can even dislike a console at launch and then like it later. PS3 had a terrible start and was a huge ripoff at first, but then eventually they really turned the platform around and I bought one because why hold a grudge over loving video games?

I really wish the world (or at least this thread) could be this reasonable all the time.

In other news, I didn't get a lot of time to play with mine yesterday because I'm sick and my medicine hosed me up big-time but the hour of Nintendoland I played and however much time I spent messing around with the system in general were fun! This ia a fun thing!

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I am on BART traveling home with my Wii U waiting at home for me. So excited to download this update and start playing!!! WOO

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Toady posted:

That isn't necessarily true; for example, Skyward Sword's sales were below expectations. Nintendo can't coast on nostalgia from a certain segment of gamers and survive. Their once-comfortable position in mobile gaming was supplanted by smartphones, and they have practically no presence in the market of modern multiplatform console gaming. Wii U gives them an opportunity there, but it's so late that a lot of gamers who already have other systems have no reason to be passionate about this one.

Do you work for CNN?

I think every third party developer would love to sell below expectation at $3.5M unless that third party developer is THQ in which case the game would be top 10 in sales yet still not break even.

This all reminds me of back in the early 2000s when a Microsoft employee told me that Nintendo was going to go out of business soon if they didn't get purchased up by Microsoft due to the third place spot on the Gamecube and my two word answer to that nonsense was "Pokémon Money".

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

absolutely anything posted:

I really wish the world (or at least this thread) could be this reasonable all the time.

In other news, I didn't get a lot of time to play with mine yesterday because I'm sick and my medicine hosed me up big-time but the hour of Nintendoland I played and however much time I spent messing around with the system in general were fun! This ia a fun thing!

Where is this absurd need for harmony coming from? Why can't we reasonably criticise a hardware manufacturers products? Do we all need to put on "Boten Anna" brand Nintendo goggles?

Don't tie your identity to a commercial company, that way you won't be offended by people finding rational flaws in their products.

netBuff fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 20, 2012

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

netBuff posted:

Where is this absurd need for harmony coming from? Why can't we reasonably criticise a hardware manufacturers products? Do we all need to put on "Boten Anna" brand Nintendo goggles?

There is a big difference between discussing the size of the batteries or the type ram and saying that the company is gonna go bankrupt in a few years.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

netBuff posted:

Where is this absurd need for harmony coming from? Why can't we reasonably criticise a hardware manufacturers products?

There's reasonable criticism of the system/games that actually exist and that people actually own, and then there's boring armchair industry analyst crap which has all been played out a million times in this thread.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

absolutely anything posted:

the hour of Nintendoland I played and however much time I spent messing around with the system in general were fun! This ia a fun thing!

I haven't played all the games on Nintendoland yet, but the Balloon Fight game is thus far my favorite. Yoshi's Fruitcart is strangely compelling even though I am not sure I actually like it.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

PonchAxis posted:

Did everyone forget about Yoshi in Super Mario Sunshine, Galaxy 2 or NSMB Wii?????? It really hasn't been that long.

Since a couple of people have addressed this, these are the exact two Mario games I haven't really played :v:

As such it was a genuine surprise to me as I wasn't exactly watching Mario U launch trailers and poo poo because I knew I wanted it, then I hit a block and an egg came out and OMG YOSHI.

EDIT: Speaking of Yoshi,

Underwhelmed posted:

Yoshi's Fruitcart is strangely compelling even though I am not sure I actually like it.

This applies to a startling number of entire games starring Yoshi now that I think about it.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's seriously one of the most obnoxious things, and it kills me knowing that if I was a little kid I'd probably be doing something similar to a console I hate.

Same, I will totally own up to being the Most Obnoxious Nintendo Nerd in middle school.

I wanna go back in time and beat up that punk and shove some Half-Life down his throat or something.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Does Yoshi stay with you between levels now or do you still dismount when you reach the flagpole?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Does Yoshi stay with you between levels now or do you still dismount when you reach the flagpole?

Still dismounts :(. But Baby Yoshis stay with you!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dunno about regular Yoshi, but in the Giant Bomb Live Stream yesterday, they had baby Yoshi and he carried through levels.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_console.jsp?menu=general_info&submenu=wup-console-ts-long-load

Nintendo posted:

Why does my system take so much time to launch an application?

We are aware that users are experiencing load times when they launch or switch between applications. We are exploring ways to enhance features for consumers’ overall experience.

Obviously that answer is carefully worded to avoid any specific commitment whatsoever, but at least it seems like this is on Nintendo's radar for a future firmware patch.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
http://mynintendonews.com/2012/11/19/reggie-wants-grand-theft-auto-v-on-wii-u/

I wonder if they'll pull a Bully and release a special edition a year down the road.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Playing AC3. It runs great. No framerate issues yet. The analog sticks are taking some getting used to. Different then ps3. It's odd. But after a few minutes I'm used to it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Boten Anna posted:

Since a couple of people have addressed this, these are the exact two Mario games I haven't really played :v:

You actually should! Galaxy 2 is a good game and if you have couch bros (and aren't sick of 2D Mario after NSMBU) NSMB Wii is excellent, easily the most fun I ever had with the console. The idea of SMB3 with belligerent, Rescue Rangers type co-op was mindblowing at the time.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

I could've sworn I saw a spotpass option somewhere. Am I imagining things?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

You actually should! Galaxy 2 is a good game and if you have couch bros (and aren't sick of 2D Mario after NSMBU) NSMB Wii is excellent, easily the most fun I ever had with the console. The idea of SMB3 with belligerent, Rescue Rangers type co-op was mindblowing at the time.

I actually have Galaxy 2 I just never played it more than once, and not because of the game itself, it's pretty good :3:

NSMB I was afraid would lead me to a divorce so I never got it :lol:

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low

they won't be completely different games running on different engines a la Wii ports.

UnrealEngine 4 won't be supported by Epic on the Wii U. They said a developer could put it on there if they wanted to, but nobody is going to put all that effort forth on a game by game basis.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

JordanKai posted:

From what I've heard, the Darksiders II port is actually pretty drat excellent. It runs at a consistent frame rate and looks good, the GamePad actually fixes one of the game's most crippling flow breakers (having to constantly go into a menu that loads very slowly to edit your loadout) and it also includes all the DLC that has been released for the PS3/360/PC version so far.

Quite a contrast from the game's messy original launch, really!

Sounds great, as I am planning to get it along with the U on launch day.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Gendo posted:

I hope all the new consoles are cool and release a bunch of good games. It would be difficult for me to care less about which individual console is more successful than another.

It's games. Let's play fun games.

No see you're wrong becau

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011
Welp, I managed to rope one of my mums cousins into buying me a Wii U from the city, it's still not for sure, but I'm hoping!

Anyhoo, how does BLOP play, I've never really played any COD games, but having it available on a system I'll actually own I may consider buying it. I'm also considering AC3 but I haven't played the first two, will this matter much or is there some sort of summary or something?

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Well, I had a fun time getting my Wii U. Delivery guy never came by, I am 100% certain of that, then on the tracking site the "No one home, left note" appeared yet no notes anywhere. After that the post office lost it, they told me to drive 2-3 hours to a post office way the hell away from me, when all along it was at the local post office which apparently the person I called thought didn't' exist for some reason. The box looked beat to hell but I just hoped the inside was OK. Got it home and the Wii U box was completely destroyed, I could see the wires, console and everything before I even touched it. Hopefully I don't need that box if I ever have to send it back because it's completely wrecked. Thankfully it seems to be working fine, played for an hour and nothing happened.
Best part was when the post office said "We can send them to redeliver but you might not ever get it if I do". Yeah OK thanks, that sounds wonderful.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

kojicolnair posted:

Got it home and the Wii U box was completely destroyed, I could see the wires, console and everything before I even touched it. Hopefully I don't need that box if I ever have to send it back because it's completely wrecked.

You shouldn't need that box. Every time I've sent a console in for repair they specifically told me not to put it in its original box.

edit: unless you mean send it to the store you bought it from, whether or not you need the original box would depend on their returns policy.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

DarkHamsterlord posted:

You shouldn't need that box. Every time I've sent a console in for repair they specifically told me not to put it in its original box.

edit: unless you mean send it to the store you bought it from, whether or not you need the original box would depend on their returns policy.

Yeah I meant to Nintendo mainly, if I had to return it to the store, which is BestBuy, I'd just drive an hour and bring it in person, destroyed box and all.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chunk posted:

I could've sworn I saw a spotpass option somewhere. Am I imagining things?

It's somewhere in the Notification options, you get messages on the wii U just like on the 3DS

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ElProducto posted:

UnrealEngine 4 won't be supported by Epic on the Wii U. They said a developer could put it on there if they wanted to, but nobody is going to put all that effort forth on a game by game basis.

Epic are really trying to target PC more this time around, at least that's where their marketing is going, despite the software still scaling as nicely as ever. They've outright stated that whatever you start building for the next generation (Wii U, 720, PS4), you had best be building it for Unreal 3 and not set your sights on UE4 until you've made several UE3 titles.

Now, why this is, there are a few reasons. I'm thinking a primary one is that you don't want some half-assed effort effort by devs who've never touched your engine to put out crap and sully your release, certainly; we all know the heartache caused by launch titles not living up to expectations, and a bad UE4 launch title reflects badly on Epic.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ageofbob posted:

Anyhoo, how does BLOP play, I've never really played any COD games, but having it available on a system I'll actually own I may consider buying it. I'm also considering AC3 but I haven't played the first two, will this matter much or is there some sort of summary or something?

Having never played AC I haven't played the first two either, but the third one sounds pretty cool and like I'd enjoy it without playing the first two. I was recommended earlier in the thread to wait until it's not full price before getting it, though.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Boten Anna posted:

Having never played AC I haven't played the first two either, but the third one sounds pretty cool and like I'd enjoy it without playing the first two. I was recommended earlier in the thread to wait until it's not full price before getting it, though.

AC2 is the best one out of all of the AC games and you're doing yourself a disservice by not playing that one. It will fill you in on the events of AC1 if you're hard pressed on game time.

Brotherhood, the sequel to AC2, is also very good. Revelations was kinda meh.

AC3 is :psyduck:

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

Thanks a bunch, buddy! I'll wait a month or so then.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low

Chronojam posted:

Now, why this is, there are a few reasons. I'm thinking a primary one is that you don't want some half-assed effort effort by devs who've never touched your engine to put out crap and sully your release, certainly; we all know the heartache caused by launch titles not living up to expectations, and a bad UE4 launch title reflects badly on Epic.

I don't think this is true at all. When UE3 came out Epic let other devs use with the understanding that it wouldn't truly be done until UT3 shipped. Famously, they let Silicon Knights put out Too Human (which was garbage) and Silicon Knights was furious that it was a bit lacking and Epic didn't care.

Also, Epic is not targeting PC. They're saying that because they can't talk about new consoles yet. Epic has money because of Gears and because UE3 powers a poo poo ton of console games. UE3 games come out on PC because they're easily portable. They aren't going to suddenly focus on PC and leave consoles as an afterthought, that would be like Apple focusing all iOS research on the ipod touch. Makes no sense.

I'm not saying anything bad about the Wii U, just refuting the claim that devs won't have to change engines for a Wii U release. UE4 will be on the next consoles from MS and Sony and it will not easily port to the Wii U, if at all. Really I think it's fine. People who are into games that will run on UE4 will have those consoles and Nintendo has its focus on a different demographic anyway. Nobody is buying a Wii U with the intention of not having to buy the next PS or Xbox if those are the games they are into.

ElProducto fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 20, 2012

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Utnayan posted:

* Overlay issues on displays. (This can be fixed for the User Interface screen by reducing the image in settings, but for games, it remains - and there are no options to fix this in game options. (Happening to quite a few folks)

This was from a few pages back, but I never saw it addressed. Are you talking about how games seem to bleed over the edge when displayed on the TV screen? Or something else? I don't know if many other people are running into that, or if it's something stupid I wasn't aware of, but on the off-chance it helps someone, I figured it'd be worth mentioning that you can fix this in your TV's settings.

When I started using my Wii U, it seemed like some menus were bleeding over the edge and thing were cut off compared to the GamePad. I went a little mad looking for a way to fix it in game or int he set up. Finally I was able to fix it using my TV's settings and changing the TV's screen viewing setting to "Native".

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"
I'd like some feedback on this. It's a bit of a rant, but after seeing the teardowns and the reduced gamepad battery, I'm really disheartened.

I think for Nintendo's first foray into a lot of different areas (HD gaming, online, etc) it was expected they would make some mistakes. That's part of the process. The PS3 and 360 both launched with their share of issues. The PS3's CPUs and shared memory choices haunted them for at least 2 years. But there is some basic future-proofing stuff that is really making me reconsider getting this before a major price cut. And some people here are mistaking a legit concern about the hardware with rage against ports.

With the ports, there is an expectation gap happening. This is not next gen hardware and people know that. This is a current gen system despite what anyone says. But it is 2012, not 2005. This is a new system that should run this stuff like butter if that's it's market. If the Wii U had chose to put out mindblowing graphics we'd never seen and kill the 360 and the PS3 in video, then having some shortcomings on their NEW original launch titles would be understandable. But to launch a current gen system, directly in line with 360 and PS3, and not have their user experience fluid is just stunning. Online can be worked out better than this and can be fixed later. The accounts being locked to systems too can probably be lifted and fixed. But after all the bluster about the Wii U being more powerful than the 360 and the PS3, we come to find that the CPU is ultimately relatively underpowered, and the ram is double the size, but half as fast as either of those. Their GPU is newer, but that's a fragment of the equation here, ask anyone who has worked on older systems with new video cards.

All this spec talk would be fine if stayed under the hood and delivered us a superior experience on these current gen games compared to either other console. But it hasn't, which is unbelievable. The Xbox 360 is over seven years old now. The Wii U should have no problems running graphics that seven year old hardware can handle, and kicking it's rear end. However multiple ports are fairing far worse than anyone expected. Again, if this were ONE developer, with one game, it'd be a different story. But Batman, Black Ops, Ninja Gaiden 3. They are all seeing issues introduced rather than fixed, and framerates down instead of up. I know a certain amount of optimization will be due in games on new systems, but you can't tell me that the underpowered CPU and slow RAM do not factor into these issues. Look at the shadow issues in Black Ops II. There's no excuse for that. This isn't a new graphical frontier at all. We've been here for seven years.

I wish Nintendo had spent more time on the hardware. They could have been, they were rumored to be, the one console this cycle that would run our current gen games all at 60fps, or with 8xAA or something. Somehow better. In other words the most polished version of all. But with that hardware that will never be the case. The ram choice is just bafflingly bad, and it will hurt them soon when the next gen releases, games move on and their 2 year old system can't even begin t1o keep up.

I still really want a Wii U. But I can't believe their hardware choices. They could've been the "it just works" console of this generation. They had years to watch Sony and MS screw it up and learn. I was just expecting so much more from Nintendo here, and feel really let down with some of their choices, especially the CPU and RAM. Phones are going to be able to outperform those specs.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

citizenlowell posted:

. I went a little mad looking for a way to fix it in game or int he set up. Finally I was able to fix it using my TV's settings and changing the TV's screen viewing setting to "Native".

Oh goddamnit why didn't I think of that?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

skywalker6705 posted:

Hardware power

This I agree with completely. I'm happy I got the Wii U and there'll be enough games I want on it to make it worth having, but I'm really shocked at the performance of some of the ports (especially the stuff on really really old engines like Warriors Orochi 3, Arkham City and Black Ops). That stuff should be definitive on the newest system out there. I'm not expecting stuff like AC3 to be locked at 60FPS but the stuff that's running on engines from like 2000~2003, I can't believe more effort wasn't put into getting these games running smoothly at least. If this is happening because the system just can't handle it then that was a mistake.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Was poking around looking at the mini-battery and noticed something else:

Looks like a tripod mount or something, wonder what it's going to be used for?

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
I think this issue with the RAM being slow is eventually going to turn into a non-issue once more devs get to understand the Wii U architecture. A couple devs have already at least one dev saying they were impressed by the Wii U's memory architecture, among other things. The truth is, like any new console, it will take time for developers to understand all the tricks to getting the most out of the system. People who are going "LOL The Wii U will never be better than 360/PS3 I mean look at the RAM speed!" most likely have never done any development of any kind and are just saying poo poo because they see a bigger number without knowing the meaning behind it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ElProducto posted:

I don't think this is true at all. When UE3 came out Epic let other devs use with the understanding that it wouldn't truly be done until UT3 shipped. Famously, they let Silicon Knights put out Too Human (which was garbage) and Silicon Knights was furious that it was a bit lacking and Epic didn't care.

Also, Epic is not targeting PC. They're saying that because they can't talk about new consoles yet. Epic has money because of Gears and because UE3 powers a poo poo ton of console games. UE3 games come out on PC because they're easily portable. They aren't going to suddenly focus on PC and leave consoles as an afterthought, that would be like Apple focusing all iOS research on the ipod touch. Makes no sense.

I'm not saying anything bad about the Wii U, just refuting the claim that devs won't have to change engines for a Wii U release. UE4 will be on the next consoles from MS and Sony and it will not easily port to the Wii U, if at all. Really I think it's fine. People who are into games that will run on UE4 will have those consoles and Nintendo has its focus on a different demographic anyway. Nobody is buying a Wii U with the intention of not having to buy the next PS or Xbox if those are the games they are into.

Why do you think that UE4 will not easily port to the Wii U, out of curiosity? Everything I know from experience with UE3 and available info on UE4 seems to suggest otherwise.

If a platform can run UE3, it should run UE4; and if your platform can run UE4, there's no reason to stick with UE3 unless you really know UE3 (because of the welcome changes in the coding language and improvements to kismet) but if you know UE3 really well you are also a prime candidate for UE4 development (because you are used to the tools, etc.)

It's odd that they won't confirm support for any of the major consoles, and have explicitly said to third parties to not plan on developing with UE4 for a long while. That's why I assume they're playing coy, and want to see people get off to a good start with one or two solid UE3 titles on the new consoles before letting them really move up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I guess I shouldn't have gotten so excited.

Came home tonight and my gamepad will not turn on no matter what I do. I can put it in the cradle, plug the cable directly to it, turn on the system, nothing makes it turn on.

• Locked thread