Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thanks for all your answers! I'm really surprised by types of things you guys are playing- I was assuming it was mainly gonna be super downtuned djent-type stuff, not necessarily a bad thing, but it's nice to see they have a reasonably wide range of applications. Will definitely look into them when I have some spare dough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maximadigital
Jul 24, 2008

semi-iconic
I spent a couple of weeks in Japan recently and brought this back as a souvenir/investment:

An Ibanez J-Custom RG8570Z. Easily one of the most comfortable to play guitars I've owned so far.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Gorgeous, although there's something about exposed truss rods that bugs me. Probably my irrational fear of loving with them, even though I've dealt with them enough I always have that odd feeling I'm going to gently caress up a neck.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

maximadigital posted:

I spent a couple of weeks in Japan recently and brought this back as a souvenir/investment:

An Ibanez J-Custom RG8570Z. Easily one of the most comfortable to play guitars I've owned so far.

You son of a bitch! That is loving gorgeous!!! Congratulations, man, I have never seen that combination of features on an RG before.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
I have wanted to own a j-custom forever but they insist on putting the huge tree of life inlay on pretty much all of them :(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

The surgery was a complete success. This thing rules.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Concatenation posted:

I have wanted to own a j-custom forever but they insist on putting the huge tree of life inlay on pretty much all of them :(

That's the best goddamned part, I love that crazy inlay.

maximadigital
Jul 24, 2008

semi-iconic

Concatenation posted:

While shopping around for mine, I did come across a few second hand guitars without the tree inlay. That said, U.S. guitars tend to be so much better represented in Japan that it can be a feat in itself to find high-end Ibanez models at all. Some of the more prevalent guitar dealerships there stock limited production runs in "unique" colors but with regular inlays, e.g.:

These are priced similarly to the regular J-custom production models. But as plester1 pointed out, that huge inlay rules and I wouldn't have mine any other way. :)

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Not so much purchased as assembled, but I did buy all the parts.
It's not officially, finally, totally done, but I just had to string it up, and see how it played.

Pretty well, actually! The GFS Greybottoms sound awesome, the blender circuit adds some fun options, and I can hammer on that Wilkinson trem without going out of tune.

Oh, and before I'm branded a heretic, I got that neck off of a Strat style body made by Epiphone. I just decided to switch it out for one, you know, made of solid wood. I think the Gibson style neck and the Strat body are really the best of both worlds. I was a loving idiot for making this my first build, though. Next one's going to be a dumb simple Tele, or something.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 15, 2012

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Very pretty, congrats. Looks like something I'd play.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Batwing! Awesome! And I heard the greybottoms were pretty good. How do they sound, comparatively?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

maximadigital posted:

that huge inlay rules and I wouldn't have mine any other way. :)
Total agreement.
It's those over-the-top inlays on the Schecters that I find a little tacky, and that's mainly because they're much denser and look like cheap plastic.
Ibanez, however, can do no wrong with vine inlays (with the exception of the JEM5 series. 1/2 a neck, then dot inlays? Over my dead body!)

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Clitch posted:

Not so much purchased as assembled, but I did buy all the parts.
It's not officially, finally, totally done, but I just had to string it up, and see how it played.

Pretty well, actually! The GFS Greybottoms sound awesome, the blender circuit adds some fun options, and I can hammer on that Wilkinson trem without going out of tune.

Oh, and before I'm branded a heretic, I got that neck off of a Strat style body made by Epiphone. I just decided to switch it out for one, you know, made of solid wood. I think the Gibson style neck and the Strat body are really the best of both worlds. I was a loving idiot for making this my first build, though. Next one's going to be a dumb simple Tele, or something.

That thing is awesome looking, no heresy there!

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Warcabbit posted:

Batwing! Awesome! And I heard the greybottoms were pretty good. How do they sound, comparatively?

Definitely aggressive, but classic, as advertised. Way more bite than the stock Epi pups I replaced. I've been mostly enamored with the bridge+neck combo the blender pot provides. It gives me some great Nevermind sounds, and cleans up into a nice, sparkly, jangle. You wouldn't mistake it for a Tele, but I can see myself using it a lot.

This thing really takes to some reverb and phaser action. I got the 70s Greybottoms, because I have an affinity for those 70s prog and funk sounds. So far, they definitely deliver.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The surgery was a complete success. This thing rules.

Nice, glad to see it worked out!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Picked this up last night. 1960s Japanese 12-string 335 clone. Amazeballs.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Picked up a Les Paul Studio today. Split-coiling Burstbuckers in it. Good lord the tone is amazing even through a lovely little solid state practice amp.

Total was $800, someone had dropped it and broken off the headstock. The repair work was done by the guy I take all my guitars to, so it's solid. Plays like a dream. Soon it will live next to my SG and my Explorer in C standard stoner doom land.

Edit: Attached image.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Oof!! 800 for a Studio with a broken headstock?!

Well, if you like how it sounds...

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

FancyMike posted:

I bought an amp.

Agreed posted:

That is majestic. :aaa: Can you pull the amp and take a pic? Love to see the state of the guts. How does it sound going into the Sunn cab?

Here's the insides.

http://imgur.com/a/H7D1n

Didn't think to take pics of the top side of the chassis, but that part's pretty simple. Four caps, 3 small tubes, 4 big tubes, 2 giant transformers.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

FancyMike posted:

Here's the insides.

http://imgur.com/a/H7D1n

Didn't think to take pics of the top side of the chassis, but that part's pretty simple. Four caps, 3 small tubes, 4 big tubes, 2 giant transformers.

This has definitely had some work done, which is good.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

no dad im not gay! posted:

Oof!! 800 for a Studio with a broken headstock?!

Well, if you like how it sounds...

I was hesitant right up until I plugged it into my rig. It's plays and sounds like a blues rock dream. Besides, I like guitars with character.

Also, if it was ANYONE else who did the repair I would have said no. I've been taking my stuff to Parsons for a decade now though... and I trust him.

Uncleanly Cleric fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 19, 2012

that ostrich
Jul 18, 2005

Don't worry, I'm a Media Technician Lead. This shit is on LOCKDOWN.

Bassist Hound posted:

Also, if it was ANYONE else who did the repair I would have said no. I've been taking my stuff to Parsons for a decade now though... and I trust him.

Assuming you're talking about Randy Parsons, a guy I know actually produced and directed a short documentary about him last year. Trailer is here: http://vimeo.com/22345673

It's worth a watch if you get the chance, though I think it's only showing at various film festivals for now. I'd never heard of Parsons before, but he's actually kind of an interesting character, what with the sticking cow skulls and scorpions into guitars that he makes.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

that ostrich posted:

Assuming you're talking about Randy Parsons, a guy I know actually produced and directed a short documentary about him last year. Trailer is here: http://vimeo.com/22345673

It's worth a watch if you get the chance, though I think it's only showing at various film festivals for now. I'd never heard of Parsons before, but he's actually kind of an interesting character, what with the sticking cow skulls and scorpions into guitars that he makes.

Yup. That's him. He's seriously the best luthier I've ever known or met.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
So I've been thinking about Les Pauls and Gretsches for a while, and I had a Jackson bass I didn't need...

Reverend Roundhouse. It's great. I may throw a Vibramate on it eventually. I've had a USA Slingshot for years, and the Korean Roundhouse holds its own.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Access Virus B desktop. It has to be one of the best VA's I've ever heard.

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Bassist Hound posted:

Picked up a Les Paul Studio today. Split-coiling Burstbuckers in it. Good lord the tone is amazing even through a lovely little solid state practice amp.

Total was $800, someone had dropped it and broken off the headstock. The repair work was done by the guy I take all my guitars to, so it's solid. Plays like a dream. Soon it will live next to my SG and my Explorer in C standard stoner doom land.

Edit: Attached image.

to feed your GAS further: my guitarist just threw a BKP Warpig in the neck of his epi LP. C standard stoner/doom heaven indeed.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

I have one in the neck of my SG too. Put a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge. Completely amazing.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

HTML5 posted:

Access Virus B desktop. It has to be one of the best VA's I've ever heard.

Beautiful machine! I'd love to have a weekend with one of these bad boys! :swoon:

Post some sounds of patches you've made, please!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

the wizards beard posted:

This has definitely had some work done, which is good.

Yeah, and competently done by the looks of it. Very cool stuff.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
YES!

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Unfinished-Maple-Neck-With-Rosewood-Fingerboard-Cutout-Headstock_p_6062.html

I've been camping this sale, since it started, and every one of these necks sells within hours of being posted. I finally checked in at the right time, and it's mine!

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Clitch posted:

YES!

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Unfinished-Maple-Neck-With-Rosewood-Fingerboard-Cutout-Headstock_p_6062.html

I've been camping this sale, since it started, and every one of these necks sells within hours of being posted. I finally checked in at the right time, and it's mine!

I'm not even really sure how that headstock is supposed to work. What am I looking at??

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's like a classical, the tuners go in sideways with the pegs inside the empty space.

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009

A Warwick Rockbass Corvette fretless
Decided to check the Cash Converters near my work at lunchtime yesterday, walked out with this. I've wanted a fretless for ages so I couldn't resist.

Joins its friends of a Peavey Milestone III, Peavey Forum, ESP-LTD B206SM and a Jackson PS2. Also have an ESP-LTD M10 but my brother is borrowing it.
And my 1971 HH guitar amp that the guy who owned it before me changed the speakers to use for bass.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Been meaning to do this for a long time. Sandy finally got me off my tail to do it, if only for insurance's sake.

The Canvas CTF20. "Canvas made solidbodies?" Chinese, but made by hand. I have the new pickups I've been talking about, but I'm waiting on putting them in till I decide exactly what to do with the wiring. If I put both Vol and Tone as pullable pots, what can I do to a standard HSS five way setup? Or can I get even stranger? Once again, my options: Brighton Rocks neck and mid, mid is rw/rp, both are Burns Tri-Sonic copies, and Bigmouth Humbucker.

The FourForce EM-1. 10W, PLENTY LOUD ENOUGH THANK YOU. Half ABS, half wood, 10" unknown speaker, plus two soundports, experimental technology. Amazingly light for something its size. Also very solid. I quite appreciate it.

A full set of Danelectro Cool Cat pedals, plus pedalboard because why not. None cost more than half retail. Some much less.

Side view of FourForce EM-1 showing sound port, also showing binding on Canvas.

Top view of FourForce EM-1, showing controls.

Cool Cats. From left to right,
Drive, Fuzz, Distortion, Metal, Metal II, Chorus, Vibe, Transparent Overdrive, Tremelo.

They do their job pretty well, really. Very tough.

Evaluation: Well, the FourForce certainly takes pedals well.
Warning: Do not plug Drive, Distortion, and Metal, Fuzz and Chorus all into your FourForce EM-1 _without_ turning the Distortion knob on your amp down.

It won't damage it or anything, but I'm certainly much more awake now than I was previously.
Really need to figure out a proper chain now. And find a decent delay pedal.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 24, 2012

semicolonoscopy_
Nov 1, 2010

Warcabbit posted:

Really need to figure out a proper chain now. And find a decent delay pedal.

You could continue your Danelectro collecting and grab the pb&j delay. I have a few much more featured delays, but I still use the pb&j most. It just sounds nice.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Well, the plastic ones are kind of flimsy. But I do have a Bacon and Eggs and a Tuna Fish, so why not?

Hm. Or do I really want a reverb? Maybe a delay+reverb.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Hey Warcabbit, have you considered making one a push/pull and the other a concentric? I think theoretically that would get you a tap on the bridge, and a blender circuit, without giving up a master tone.

No new holes, and a good range of combo options.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If you don't like concentric pots (like me) you can wire a push/pull or push/push as a volume in one throw and tone in the other. It's kinda nifty.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Oooh. Blender circuit. That's an idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

I took EMGs out of my ESP and threw in a set of Bareknuckle Nailbombs instead. GodDAMN these are good.