Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
Playing this for the first time and while playing my brain usually has only two thoughts running through it:
1. gently caress this game
2. This game is great

It's quite confusing.

Question - is there any way to be able to read messages if you're using the graphics fix? It sucks seeing them all over the place and being unable to read them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

TheKeeper posted:

Playing this for the first time and while playing my brain usually has only two thoughts running through it:
1. gently caress this game
2. This game is great

It's quite confusing.

Question - is there any way to be able to read messages if you're using the graphics fix? It sucks seeing them all over the place and being unable to read them...

Are you using a controller? Press A. No controller? Press Q, then get a controller.

How have you been able to do anything without pressing A (or Q, on a keyboard)? That's the button that reads messages, interacts with NPCs, loots bodies, and opens doors. You'd still be stuck in your cell if that button didn't work.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

TheKeeper posted:

Wait, which version of DSFix are you using? That sounds like a bug in one of the earlier versions of the fix from like, 20 minutes after the game came out months ago.

vvv Uhh just checking, were you using Havel's shield?

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 20, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The worst kind of hacker is the kind that I can't even understand what they did. They swung their furysword near me, would've bounced off my shield if it connected, but instead of taking like a zillion damage or something I just grew curse crystals all over my body.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

a cartoon duck posted:

There's a Daughter of Chaos right before the Bed of Chaos who drops an Izalith Catalyst. Its description pretty explicitly says that the Daughters of Chaos used fire-based sorceries, hence why she drops a catalyst in the first place. It's just that fire sorcery was lost after the whole getting destroyed by the army of chaos demons they themselves created thing.

The Demon's Catalyst says the same thing: the Demon Firesage who drops it was both the first demon and the last user of the witches' original fire sorcery. Quelana is called the mother of pyromancy in a few places, though that seems like it's more of an honorific, and not an indicator that she was literally the first pyromancer.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

verybad posted:

I'm playing mostly without lock on. I like to think it's making me a better player.

It's not.

I don't think not using lock on helps most of the time. Lock on is jsut really useful for being able to hit stuff properly, I can only think of a few enemies outside of bosses where not locking on makes things easier.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

Washin Tong posted:

Wait, which version of DSFix are you using? That sounds like a bug in one of the earlier versions of the fix from like, 20 minutes after the game came out months ago.

That's probably it then. I bought the game off Steam when it first came out and applied the DSFix, then never played it until yesterday.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Are there any general principles for when a weapon should be made magic/elemental instead of taking it to +15?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
If your INT is very high and your DEX and STR are very low, only enough to meet the requirements, then make your weapon enchanted. If it's a bow, make it magic. If you have decent DEX or STR or whatever, then take it to +15 and use buffs.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there any point at which specific builds just really start becoming more important? I'm mostly going for dex since I started with a scimitar and them moved on to a side sword, but I'm generally still doing sword/shield against everything but bosses (seriously, if you just block one attack and the r2 them with the BSS everything dies instantly) and I really don't see a need to do anything differently. Am I going to get smacked in the face? I'm just fought Havel so I can wear my wanderer's/some balder's gear while using my hollow shield and BSS to (hopefully) kill the Capra Demon. I'm thinking I'll probably need to ditch the shield and just two-hand my drake sword, though, since that worked so awesomely on Havel and the Gargoyles.

edit: Point is, my stats are all looking pretty even right now, would it be worth it to just put everything in dex?

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

For PvE you're totally fine to just do whatever.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

tractor fanatic posted:

If your INT is very high and your DEX and STR are very low, only enough to meet the requirements, then make your weapon enchanted. If it's a bow, make it magic. If you have decent DEX or STR or whatever, then take it to +15 and use buffs.

At what point is it "very decent"? I made a lightning claymore, but I'm aiming to drive up to 30 faith for Darkmoon Blade and I suspect that with baselines stats to one hand a claymore +15 and DMB might be better than +5 lighning.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

I'm guessing man mode doesn't count if you swap for a slightly upgraded but much lighter light set of armor? Because that's what I just did and finally beat O&S.

Took me several tries to get to Super Saiyin Smough and thought his lightning butt slam had unlimited range, but a bit of research made that part of the fight drat easy. Solaire did a thoroughly badass job of taking down Ornstein at the start :hellyeah:

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

NeurosisHead posted:

At what point is it "very decent"? I made a lightning claymore, but I'm aiming to drive up to 30 faith for Darkmoon Blade and I suspect that with baselines stats to one hand a claymore +15 and DMB might be better than +5 lighning.

A +15 and DMB will always outdamage a +5 lightning weapon. Whether that temporary boost in damage is worth less damage most of the time is up to you.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
I am the Dickwraith. Level 30, first play-through. Legit aside from FAQ referencing. First time out I got indicted. I've killed a dude huddling by the bonfire summoning up phantoms. I think I'm doing this right? Any tips to feel like an rear end in a top hat, but in a way that's considered kosher for the :darksouls: experience?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Knock people off ledges with force miracles, dragonslayer bow, and always have chameleon on hand.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
For the ultimate dickwraith build, get 16 int for Dark Bead, and then get 30 faith. Cast Tranquil Walk of Peace, then go at them with Dark Bead and Wrath of the Gods.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Paracelsus posted:

Are there any general principles for when a weapon should be made magic/elemental instead of taking it to +15?

This, but instead of magic/elemental, when do I go +15 or divine/occult? I've got more faith than INT, STR or DEX, my +10 MSGS is going well, but my halberd's damage doesn't seem to have skyrocketed when I made it divine. Does Faith not affect divine weapon damage or is it only good against undead?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Its split damage so both defenses work against it. Occult is pure poo poo, stay away from it.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

FrickenMoron posted:

Its split damage so both defenses work against it. Occult is pure poo poo, stay away from it.

It also won't kill the skeletons in the Catacombs permanently, and I assume not the ones with Nito either.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I never really thought a divine weapon in the catacombs was necessary unless you insisted on doing it as early as possible, and even then you're probably good enough to not need it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Darn, there goes my hope for a pure faith build :(. I'm doing pretty well with a primary Strength/Faith build, but I figured I'd ask if divine weapons really were kind of under powered, or if I was building it wrong. I always try to get the 25 faith to join the Sunbros really early because the lightning spear is loving amazing early game but it makes my early game melee damage a lot worse, plus I often find myself finding a claymore or something and then needing to get like 10 more strength and dexterity to use it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Get sunlight blade it's crazy good.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Divine/Occult/Magic/Enchanted weapons don't scale well enough to make up for the split damage. To make matters worse, a Lightning or Chaos weapon will often be flat out better, or at least equivalent.

Don't quote me on this, but if I remember correctly, a 40 str/dex and 40 int/faith setup will actually do less damage with one of those weapons than a vanilla +15 weapon, depending on enemy resists, which is kind of goofy.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

muike posted:

Get sunlight blade it's crazy good.

I'm part way into Sen's Fortress, and in the catacombs I killed Pinwheel and not much else. How far am I from Anor Londo? It sounds perfect but also a ways away :v:.

Tykero posted:

Divine/Occult/Magic/Enchanted weapons don't scale well enough to make up for the split damage. To make matters worse, a Lightning or Chaos weapon will often be flat out better, or at least equivalent.

Don't quote me on this, but if I remember correctly, a 40 str/dex and 40 int/faith setup will actually do less damage with one of those weapons than a vanilla +15 weapon, depending on enemy resists, which is kind of goofy.

Hmm, I know you said "Don't quote me on this" but that sounds really dumb just how inefficient adding upgrades seem to be. Yeah it would be a bit dumb if you could get high scaling with strength/dexterity and faith/int on the same weapon, bad ratios could make 40 Strength/40 Faith better than 80 Strength with +15 weapons, but having Divine and Occult weapons be useless sucks :/.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Get the darkmoon covenant ring or whatever it's called and once you've finished Sen's fortress you can dash right to it. You'll have to commit some deicide to get to it though.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I can't speak for Divine weapons since I've never played a pure Faith build but Enchanted weapons are definitely worth it for a pure INT build. You'll outdamage elemental weapons and the ember is available almost as soon as you start. In fact, Divine might be even more important for a pure Faith build since you only get a single buff per playthrough and you don't get it until the middle of the game.

Uab
Sep 13, 2007
Hungry
Another option for faith build is Grant, which is supposed to be a great weapon, but the stat requirements are kind of absurd unless you want to stick with always 2-handing it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

muike posted:

Get the darkmoon covenant ring or whatever it's called and once you've finished Sen's fortress you can dash right to it. You'll have to commit some deicide to get to it though.

:tipshat: Much obliged. Don't mind a suicide to grab some good gear so we should be all good there.

tractor fanatic posted:

In fact, Divine might be even more important for a pure Faith build since you only get a single buff per playthrough and you don't get it until the middle of the game.

Uab posted:

Another option for faith build is Grant, which is supposed to be a great weapon, but the stat requirements are kind of absurd unless you want to stick with always 2-handing it.

Hmm, sounds like if I wanna do pure faith, that straight sword by the undead dragon will have to last me till I can get to the tomb of the giants, get Grant, probably ignore actually finding and upgrading weapons to divine or occult.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

DrProsek posted:

:tipshat: Much obliged. Don't mind a suicide to grab some good gear so we should be all good there.

I think you're confusing suicide with deicide here. One of these is slightly harder than the other, but only slightly.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

DrProsek posted:

Hmm, sounds like if I wanna do pure faith, that straight sword by the undead dragon will have to last me till I can get to the tomb of the giants, get Grant, probably ignore actually finding and upgrading weapons to divine or occult.

If you can get a divine longsword up to +5 or so, I think even that will outdamage Astora's straight sword. Any other divine weapon (claymore, uchi, falchion maybe?) will likely do so as well.

What I'm saying is Astora's straight sword is an okay starting weapon if you get it with the master key, but other than that it's garbage.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Is there anything better for Sorcerer aside from the Moonlight Greatsword? I've found that if you hybrid your stats out, you'll absolutely wreck most enemies.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

So uh, I kept invading a guy in Oolacile Township who was constantly fast rolling away and chugging estus. Okay, I can deal with that. After I killed him, though, he sent me a string of 15 angry messages about how I was cheating and a turtle(my shield was up for, like, the first 30 seconds of the fight and never again. Pikes make you a turtle, I guess?) and dishonourable and about how if we had been fighting with KATANAS(no loving joke) he wouldn't have been drinking estus. I reply to him, calling him an angry manchild who needs to take a chill pill, and I get a wonderful string of further messages, including this gem:

His last messages said that he had to get back to PvP, and that I should enjoy raging, and that I was blocked. This game has the worst goddamn community.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

You should have told him ninjas are dishonorable.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

garth ferengi posted:

His last messages said that he had to get back to PvP, and that I should enjoy raging, and that I was blocked. This game has the worst goddamn community.

The many, many messages I have backlogged from playing Call of Duty on consoles and on PC would like a word with you. Most of those words are "human being" and "pussy."

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

fennesz posted:

The many, many messages I have backlogged from playing Call of Duty on consoles and on PC would like a word with you. Most of those words are "human being" and "pussy."

Yeah but those are impressionable, stupid teenagers who are taught to be misogynistic little shits and have their shittiness reinforced by their fellow socially inept "young adults". They're not quite comparable.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

garth ferengi posted:

Yeah but those are impressionable, stupid teenagers who are taught to be misogynistic little shits and have their shittiness reinforced by their fellow socially inept "young adults". They're not quite comparable.

Actually a lot of the shitheads on console grew up and are now 20-something misogynistic shitheads, rather than teenage shitheads.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I wish I were invaded by whiny ninjas, rather than the endless stream of twinked/hacked darkwraiths.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

First time through the crystal cave I got the blue slab after tossing down a long line of prism stones to guide me.

Now, on NG+... I find I'm having trouble getting the blue slab again. Dammit.

e: THERE ARE TWO PATHS, JESUS CHRIST

\/\/\/\/\/ I just want to have it.

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The hell do you want a blue slab for?

• Locked thread