Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
Sorry, that should say public and cleanliness.

As far as orthography goes, english is pretty abhorrent. There are some advantages to having an alphabet over an ideographic script, but if we're going to go down this route, featural scripts are fantastic.

English is the horror.

quote:

English is tough stuff

Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse
Sounds like corpse, corps, horse, and worse.
I will keep you, Suzy, busy,
Make your head with heat grow dizzy.
Tear in eye, your dress will tear.
So shall I! Oh hear my prayer.
Just compare heart, beard, and heard,
Dies and diet, lord and word,
Sword and sward, retain and Britain.
(Mind the latter, how it's written.)
Now I surely will not plague you
With such words as plaque and ague.
But be careful how you speak:
Say break and steak, but bleak and streak;
Cloven, oven, how and low,
Script, receipt, show, poem, and toe.

Hear me say, devoid of trickery,
Daughter, laughter, and Terpsichore,
Typhoid, measles, topsails, aisles,
Exiles, similes, and reviles;
Scholar, vicar, and cigar,
Solar, mica, war and far;
One, anemone, Balmoral,
Kitchen, lichen, laundry, laurel;
Gertrude, German, wind and mind,
Scene, Melpomene, mankind.

Billet does not rhyme with ballet,
Bouquet, wallet, mallet, chalet.
Blood and flood are not like food,
Nor is mould like should and would.
Viscous, viscount, load and broad,
Toward, to forward, to reward.
And your pronunciation's OK
When you correctly say croquet,
Rounded, wounded, grieve and sieve,
Friend and fiend, alive and live.

Ivy, privy, famous; clamour
And enamour rhyme with hammer.
River, rival, tomb, bomb, comb,
Doll and roll and some and home.
Stranger does not rhyme with anger,
Neither does devour with clangour.
Souls but foul, haunt but aunt,
Font, front, wont, want, grand, and grant,
Shoes, goes, does. Now first say finger,
And then singer, ginger, linger,
Real, zeal, mauve, gauze, gouge and gauge,
Marriage, foliage, mirage, and age.

Query does not rhyme with very,
Nor does fury sound like bury.
Dost, lost, post and doth, cloth, loth.
Job, nob, bosom, transom, oath.
Though the differences seem little,
We say actual but victual.
Refer does not rhyme with deafer.
Foeffer does, and zephyr, heifer.
Mint, pint, senate and sedate;
Dull, bull, and George ate late.
Scenic, Arabic, Pacific,
Science, conscience, scientific.

Liberty, library, heave and heaven,
Rachel, ache, moustache, eleven.
We say hallowed, but allowed,
People, leopard, towed, but vowed.
Mark the differences, moreover,
Between mover, cover, clover;
Leeches, breeches, wise, precise,
Chalice, but police and lice;
Camel, constable, unstable,
Principle, disciple, label.

Petal, panel, and canal,
Wait, surprise, plait, promise, pal.
Worm and storm, chaise, chaos, chair,
Senator, spectator, mayor.
Tour, but our and succour, four.
Gas, alas, and Arkansas.
Sea, idea, Korea, area,
Psalm, Maria, but malaria.
Youth, south, southern, cleanse and clean.
Doctrine, turpentine, marine.

Compare alien with Italian,
Dandelion and battalion.
Sally with ally, yea, ye,
Eye, I, ay, aye, whey, and key.
Say aver, but ever, fever,
Neither, leisure, skein, deceiver.
Heron, granary, canary.
Crevice and device and aerie.

Face, but preface, not efface.
Phlegm, phlegmatic, rear end, glass, bass.
Large, but target, gin, give, verging,
Ought, out, joust and scour, scourging.
Ear, but earn and wear and tear
Do not rhyme with here but ere.
Seven is right, but so is even,
Hyphen, roughen, nephew Stephen,
Monkey, donkey, Turk and jerk,
Ask, grasp, wasp, and cork and work.

Pronunciation -- think of Psyche!
Is a paling stout and spikey?
Won't it make you lose your wits,
Writing groats and saying grits?
It's a dark abyss or tunnel:
Strewn with stones, stowed, solace, gunwale,
Islington and Isle of Wight,
Housewife, verdict and indict.

Finally, which rhymes with enough --
Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough?
Hiccough has the sound of cup.
My advice is to give up!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

tef posted:

I was just wondering if you had any pubic sources on the deanliness on the forgivingness of english.
I tried, but I'm not brainy enough to think of any funny broken english replies :(

tef posted:

As far as orthography goes, english is pretty abhorrent. There are some advantages to having an alphabet over an ideographic script, but if we're going to go down this route, featural scripts are fantastic.
Absolutely, but are featural alphabets properly usable on keyboards? I've only briefly touched on them for sign language and never really thought about them to actually *type* with (genuinely interested).

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 18, 2012

BliShem
Dec 21, 2008
That's a cool poem, but pronunciation doesn't really matter when programming and neither does grammatical correctness. I must have heard at least 10 different pronunciations for the word 'virtual' but never had a problem figuring out what the person meant.

tef posted:

Could be a good way to separate language keywords from variables and such actually, but I wouldn't want to have to get a separate keyboard just for coding.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

BliShem posted:

Could be a good way to separate language keywords from variables and such actually, but I wouldn't want to have to get a separate keyboard just for coding.

You know that the letters on the top of the keys aren't anything to do with the characters on the screen right?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

BliShem posted:

I wouldn't want to have to get a separate keyboard just for coding.

No one does, which is why I still only see upsides to letting people write tokens in whatever characters are convenient.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
If you're not using an Optimus keyboard, you can't call yourself an international developer!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Zombywuf posted:

You know that the letters on the top of the keys aren't anything to do with the characters on the screen right?
They have something to do with them, in the brains of the average person. Does anyone know all the symbols that OS X lets you type with the option key? Because I sure don't, but I might if they were written on the keys.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

The spelling and pronunciation have nothing in common though? I thought you ought to know about this being tough and thoroughly challenging for newcomers to plough through, a linguistic hiccough or cough perhaps.

I really hope this sentence was composed on purpose :)

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Volte posted:

They have something to do with them, in the brains of the average person. Does anyone know all the symbols that OS X lets you type with the option key? Because I sure don't, but I might if they were written on the keys.

Open the keyboard viewer and hold the option key. There you can see all of them. I know all the ones I use daily by heart (stuff like é, è, ê, ü etc), and those alone are already quite a lot to be honest.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Volte posted:

I don't know all the ones, but I know the ones I find myself using often; the accented characters are pretty easy to remember because they're compositional (alt-[`einu] followed by an applicable character).

Doc Hawkins posted:

No one does, which is why I still only see upsides to letting people write tokens in whatever characters are convenient.

Anything I can type in under four strokes on my Mac's US English QWERTY keyboard is convenient for me. However, some people use Dvorak, AZERTY, QWERTZ, or QWERTY with a different localized layout.

If I use parentheses, braces, brackets, dollar signs, or digits, it makes typing difficult for these other keyboard layouts. On the other hand, they're easier for me to read and understand than if I limited myself to just the upper- and lower-case alphabet and spaces. If I'm telling the majority of the world that uses non-US keyboards to deal with it, I might as well tell the minority in my programming circles that don't use Macs to comply with Rules 12 and 36 or quit complaining.

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

Volte posted:

You think "the average person" uses the Latin alphabet! That's cute.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Only the elite use the Latin alphabet :smugdog:

mjau
Aug 8, 2008

The Gripper posted:

If you're not using an Optimus keyboard, you can't call yourself an international developer!

Only if your definition of international means "US physical key layout"

Anyways, all layouts should have an "Alt Gr" key.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Volte posted:

I'm confused, how does the 'A' on my 'a' key tell me that when I hold option it produces 'å'?

BliShem
Dec 21, 2008

Zombywuf posted:

Yes, but learning touch typing on a keyboard with a different layout than the characters you're typing should not be a prerequisite to learning programming.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

BliShem posted:

Yes, but learning touch typing on a keyboard with a different layout than the characters you're typing should not be a prerequisite to learning programming.

Learning a language is a different thing to learning programming. Next you'll be telling me that learning to type Ä shouldn't be a prerequisite to learning Finnish.

BliShem
Dec 21, 2008

Zombywuf posted:

Learning a language is a different thing to learning programming. Next you'll be telling me that learning to type Ä shouldn't be a prerequisite to learning Finnish.

Typing Ä on a keyboard without Finnish letter labels? Why should it be? Being able to type is only a prerequisite for computer programming languages, the rest of the world made do just fine without it for thousands of years.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

The question of using non-ASCII characters in source files is germane to this thread in the sense that the real argument against them is that there are so few systems that sanely handle Unicode end-to-end.

After having been a complete purist and borderline nutjob about this for a while, I have come around to the school of thought that Unicode itself is the problem if there are zero programming languages or environments that actually implement it correctly. Even when you take out the problems that Unicode tries (and mostly fails) to solve that are essentially rather than accidentally hard, there are still a billion things that think they're at least Unicode aware that gently caress basic things up and leave you with boxes or wingdings. We need to declare Unicode bankruptcy or something, and start afresh with some other approach, maybe even reconsidering whether code points are the correct atom to solve the problems we want to solve.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
utf-8 is the new latin-1?

Starting afresh will ensure that no-one will implement your new solution correctly either, though.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

BliShem posted:

Typing Ä on a keyboard without Finnish letter labels? Why should it be? Being able to type is only a prerequisite for computer programming languages, the rest of the world made do just fine without it for thousands of years.

In the modern world if you can't type a language can you really claim to have learned it?

Otto Skorzeny posted:

After having been a complete purist and borderline nutjob about this for a while, I have come around to the school of thought that Unicode itself is the problem if there are zero programming languages or environments that actually implement it correctly. Even when you take out the problems that Unicode tries (and mostly fails) to solve that are essentially rather than accidentally hard, there are still a billion things that think they're at least Unicode aware that gently caress basic things up and leave you with boxes or wingdings. We need to declare Unicode bankruptcy or something, and start afresh with some other approach, maybe even reconsidering whether code points are the correct atom to solve the problems we want to solve.

So the unicode standard is 24 years old, and version 6 is only 2. If you think second system unicode is going to be better than first system unicode I think you are very much mistaken.

The solution is more zealotry, not less. Either you get unicode right or you're a racist.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
There's a few fuckups in Unicode (UTF-16 should not exist; having both precomposed and composition characters makes things twice as exciting), but very little of the complexity of properly supporting Unicode is actually particularly related to Unicode. The actual hard parts are things like dealing with things like that sorting and capitalization are locale-dependent, and legacy non-Unicode things.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

utf-8 is the new latin-1?

Basically yes. I know I'll never be able to implement UTF-8 or any other real unicode at work on the :belarus: chips I write code for, and yet I want to be able to write stuff that can be easily localized (since we sell poo poo to a bunch of countries) without resorting to some bastardized bespoke encoding per product version or some similar horseshit (which is pretty much what gets done now, to the extent that it gets done). If there were some less enormous spec that allowed me to display any character ever but did nothing else (and maybe was always 4 bytes per character, no exceptions, no you shut the gently caress up dad etc), no casefolding, no concept of cases even, just display the poo poo I tell you to, it would make my life much easier. Maybe my requirements are weird! or maybe the problem is just intractable.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Kinda surprised no-one's made unicode-on-a-chip yet. I'd guess there's a big enough market for it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Zombywuf posted:

Kinda surprised no-one's made unicode-on-a-chip yet. I'd guess there's a big enough market for it.

What would it do and how would it grow?

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Unicode as a service

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ninjeff posted:

You can't assume every English-based programming language's keywords have a direct mapping to words in every other natural language. It's generally the case for other languages from around Europe, sure. But there's no Japanese (for example) word that maps to "while" or "if" alone.

Here's another hard-to-spot source of privilege in programming languages: being written left-to-right, top-to-bottom. Imagine growing up reading right-to-left and then being told you have to read the opposite way to read programs, and "that's just the way it is".

Ok, so some people have to map a slightly more complicated idea. Do any of these work? http://translate.google.com/#en/ja/If http://translate.google.com/#en/ja/while I'm assuming Google is dumbing poo poo down for me there, but it looks like there are options.

Editors could just display the file backwa, uh, I mean, whichever direction you want? :shobon:

Also, I've tried typing with a different keyboard language (Swiss) on a standard English keyboard and it was terrible even with a printout of the 'actual' layout taped to the monitor.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Cocoa Crispies posted:

how would it grow?

EEPROM or some other nonvol storage, probably

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Sneaking Mission posted:

Unicode as a service

Scalable etherial unicode in the cloud.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Plorkyeran posted:

There's a few fuckups in Unicode (UTF-16 should not exist; having both precomposed and composition characters makes things twice as exciting),

Han Unification *opens can of worms* See also, emojii: http://www.reigndesign.com/blog/love-hotels-and-unicode/

As for UTF-16, it was a mistake, but it came from the earliest notions of unicode

http://www.unicode.org/history/unicode88.pdf

Where they argue '16 bits should be enough for everyone', and rank the importance of a language based around GDP. Hilarious.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Basically yes. I know I'll never be able to implement UTF-8 or any other real unicode at work on the :belarus: chips I write code for, and yet I want to be able to write stuff that can be easily localized (since we sell poo poo to a bunch of countries) without resorting to some bastardized bespoke encoding per product version or some similar horseshit (which is pretty much what gets done now, to the extent that it gets done).

I doubt any encoding that would solve this problem would be less burdensome than unicode as-is.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

tef posted:

Han Unification *opens can of worms* See also, emojii: http://www.reigndesign.com/blog/love-hotels-and-unicode/

Yet again mobile phones ruin it for everyone.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

What would it do and how would it grow?

Kickstarter. Doesn't matter if it makes sense, the answer is always kickstarter.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Manslaughter posted:

Kickstarter. Doesn't matter if it makes sense, the answer is always kickstarter.

What if it's not just one processor but a whole matrix of them? You can swap processors in/out depending on what languages you want.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Mother. Of. God.

Edit: After a quick test, I'm extremely disappointed that the Scala compiler isn't accepting Emoji for operator identifiers. The bikini XOR has as much right to exist as any other!

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Haskell is ready for the future.

A Flaming Chicken
Feb 4, 2007
Emoji symbols work quite well in Google email addresses on a Mac too e.g foo+emojisymbol@gmail.com

As do they in many other Mac applications!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

ultramiraculous posted:

Mother. Of. God.

Edit: After a quick test, I'm extremely disappointed that the Scala compiler isn't accepting Emoji for operator identifiers. The bikini XOR has as much right to exist as any other!

Ahahaha I love academics and what hapens when you stick them on committees to debate stupid poo poo. Long bewildering debates spanning years over the meanings of words.

I was on the academic council (reasearch funding coordination committee) at Murdoch university in the mid 2000s , and there was an ongoing debate about what the meaning of "Multidisciplinary" was in the universitys constitution. The debate had been going for 15 years and was still unresolved, and would come up as a topic about every 3 months to the same shouting match between the postmodern leaning eng-lit ("its context dependent!") department, the ultra-analytical ("Words have meanings damnit!") philosophy department , and everyone else who would watch on in bemused bewilderment, and occasionally offering "Well , I think I know what multidisciplinary means. Yesterday I borrowed a stapler from the vetrinary science guys!".

15 loving years to define a word. Still unresolved to this day. But if you walked down into the courtyard and asked an undergrad, you'd get a 5-10 second silence followed by a consise and entirely useable answer good enough for about 90% of the time. This is for a concept that was supposed to be the defining trait of the university, yet none of the boffins could agree on what the defining trait was supposed to mean!

And it was in this sort of committee environment unicode was born.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 20, 2012

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

duck monster posted:

15 loving years to define a word.
Things like that are funny, obviously both sides think they're right, nobody is going to convince anyone they're wrong, so why argue?

It's exactly what scissors paper rock was invented for!

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

Ok, so some people have to map a slightly more complicated idea. Do any of these work? http://translate.google.com/#en/ja/If http://translate.google.com/#en/ja/while I'm assuming Google is dumbing poo poo down for me there, but it looks like there are options.

The word you posted for 'if' literally means 'case' (the noun). The one for 'while' isn't really considered a word; it's just a verb suffix, like '-ing' in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

ninjeff posted:

The word you posted for 'if' literally means 'case' (the noun).

I think the second one works fine though, if you change the keyword position a little bit...
code:
(1 > 0) なら
{
}
edit: I guess code tags don't like なら