Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

TraderStav posted:

Thought that was Robert Downey Jr. at first. Looks like it could be a really good flick.

It wasn't? Then who was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

BlueBayou posted:

It wasn't? Then who was it?

No clue, sure looked like him though. His name isn't anywhere on the IMDB page.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hell of a cast. Though now I imagine Michael Caine is playing the same character he did in The Prestige.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
My friend cut the Lone Ranger trailer. I'm proud as hell (although I'm not too excited for another Depp/Bonham movie about trains). He's only been with the company a few months but was made editor almost instantly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Golden Bee posted:

I'm not too excited for another Depp/Bonham movie about trains

What was the last one?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Ok, the last few were about pies and pirates.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
What would you guys say were the most effective/best made trailers of all time?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The first Alien trailer, and the teaser for Cloverfield come to mind.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

GD_American posted:

The Independence Day Superbowl spot.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Teaser for Lord of the Rings is still my favorite I don't care if I'm supposed to be all cool and hip and say something like Serpico or whatever.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/lotr-fellowship-ring/trilogy-teaser

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

GD_American posted:

Some of my faves include:

Alien
Brainstorm
Cloverfield (then untitled)
Dr. Strangelove
The Fifth Element
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
Godzilla, the 1998 version
GoldenEye
Pont Blank
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
The Public Enemy
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Unbreakable
X-Men 2

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

GD_American posted:

Here's some of my favorites.

8 Women
Charade
Dames
Eternal Sunshine
Fletch
Garden State
The Illusionist
Kill Bill 1
North by Northwest
Return of the Killer Tomatoes
Watchmen

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Cliffhanger. No dialogue, just 'Dies Irae' thundering out and Stallone! Mountains! Machine guns! John Lithgow! Bats! Helicopters! Explosions! People falling from great heights! HANG ON!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

This is the correct answer. Trailer owned, movie owned, the fact that neither of them have reached iconic status yet annoys me. :colbert:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Prisoner of Azkaban had an amazing teaser and trailer
Kingdom of Heaven as well. The movie was poo poo, but the trailers made it look so.freaking.awesome

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

Prisoner of Azkaban had an amazing teaser and trailer

The change of tone from the previous movies was incredible.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

WickedIcon posted:

This is the correct answer. Trailer owned, movie owned, the fact that neither of them have reached iconic status yet annoys me. :colbert:

The trailer was indeed amazing. The movie on the other hand, well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I hate seeing Fincher color by numbers.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

Kingdom of Heaven as well. The movie was poo poo, but the trailers made it look so.freaking.awesome

This?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Huh. Never seen that one.

This is the one that always impressed me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oO6pCRe3pM

But now that im older... less so. At the time though, it totally blew me away

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

GD_American posted:

If we're going to talk about the trailer for "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," which is incredible, we have to mention the trailer for The Social Network. It's drat near perfect.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

tvb posted:

If we're going to talk about the trailer for "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," which is incredible, we have to mention the trailer for The Social Network. It's drat near perfect.

These are my two favorite trailers, though I prefer the Red Band Dragon Tattoo that was made to look like a leak.

On top of the The Social Network is my favorite film ever, alongside Jurassic Park.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg3V8HDK5go
I should probably watch the movie again soon too....

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BlueBayou posted:

I still need to see the DC of this movie, I hear it makes it 20x better than what we got. Really I don't hate KOH, but that is just because of the battle scenes in the last act are just so beautifully well done.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

I still need to see the DC of this movie, I hear it makes it 20x better than what we got. Really I don't hate KOH, but that is just because of the battle scenes in the last act are just so beautifully well done.

Yeah I never saw the DC, but I should. The released version so clearly had stuff cut from it. I remember leaving the theater thinking that the DC would be awesome. i should watch it, especially since Ive been reading about the crusades a lot lately

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

achillesforever6 posted:

BlueBayou posted:

Yeah I never saw the DC, but I should. The released version so clearly had stuff cut from it. I remember leaving the theater thinking that the DC would be awesome. i should watch it, especially since Ive been reading about the crusades a lot lately

As someone who never saw the theatrical cut, I can say that the DC was an excellent film that was more about a man struggling to understand the nature of God than it was an epic action film; from what I understand it closed up a lot of plot holes in the TC as well.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

DivisionPost posted:

As someone who never saw the theatrical cut, I can say that the DC was an excellent film that was more about a man struggling to understand the nature of God than it was an epic action film; from what I understand it closed up a lot of plot holes in the TC as well.

Too bad Orlando Bloom still plays the protagonist in the DC.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Trailer for Jack The Giant Slayer is out

http://badassdigest.com/2012/11/20/jack-the-giant-slayer-trailer-slay-this-crap/

Yes, you really did just see "You Don't Know Jack" in there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Benne posted:

Trailer for Jack The Giant Slayer is out

http://badassdigest.com/2012/11/20/jack-the-giant-slayer-trailer-slay-this-crap/

Yes, you really did just see "You Don't Know Jack" in there.

While the premise seems stupid it sure has a hell of a cast.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Trump posted:

Too bad Orlando Bloom still plays the protagonist in the DC.

But a good thing he ended up being nicely cast!

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

DivisionPost posted:

But a good thing he ended up being nicely cast!

Are you serious? It's some of the worst casting I can think of. He's completely out of his league and sucks so much energy out of every scene he is in, he's a void of charisma.

He is out-acted by Edward Norton playing a supporting character wearing a fullface mask for fucks sake.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

GD_American posted:

I know I'm going to get heckled for this, but the trailer for the '97 reissue of Star Wars was perfect to my eyes: I was too young to have seen any of them in the theater, and the teaser perfectly captured the canyon of difference there is between watching it on the big screen and loving around with VHS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39J2zBB-AyU

And, of course, the musically-silent teaser for Burton's Batman blew minds and shut asses about Keaton's casting in ten seconds flat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyozzozRsCk

RoughDraft2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 21, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I absolutely loving loved the first Wall-E trailer.

The Tron 2 reveal (while not really a trailer) was also so loving good. I'm linking the comic com cam link because the audience reaction to the light cycle reveal was basically mine. The first trailer with Daft Punk music was also excellent. The "noise" as the title is revealed sounded so good in an IMAX theater.

And throwing my love for this Persepolis trailer.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 21, 2012

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
The Iron Man Teaser was also loving boss. First glimpse of how amazing RDJ was going to be as Tony Stark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMO9_FGeZgU

I also really like the Spiderman 2 trailer. Yes it gives away the entire movie, so its not a great "trailer" but its just so much fun to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpgrOgypc9g

Also say what you will about Phantom Menace, the trailer was fun

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Last of the Mohicans was a thrilling ride but the trailer makes it look like a war movie. Still one hell of a trailer though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn7UHJLcPp4

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I absolutely loving loved the first Wall-E trailer.

The Tron 2 reveal (while not really a trailer) was also so loving good. I'm linking the comic com cam link because the audience reaction to the light cycle reveal was basically mine.

Oh man, seeing that with the audience reaction of people having their minds utterly blown is amazing :3:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I loved Speed Racer and I love this trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw8q7zB8FF8&hd=1

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Trump posted:

He is out-acted by Edward Norton playing a supporting character wearing a fullface mask for fucks sake.

To be fair, Edward Norton out-acts everyone in that movie. Also Nthing that the DC of Kingdom of Heaven is one of my all-time favorite movies ever.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

ninjahedgehog posted:

To be fair, Edward Norton out-acts everyone in that movie. Also Nthing that the DC of Kingdom of Heaven is one of my all-time favorite movies ever.

David Thewlis and especially Ghassan Massoud owned the screen everytime they appeared.

I really want to love the movie, especially the DC, but Orlando Bloom just comes in and fucks it right the gently caress up everytime I let myself get sucked in but the other performances.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Teaser for del Toro's Pacific Rim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS6kk1bTqJs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Trump posted:

David Thewlis and especially Ghassan Massoud owned the screen everytime they appeared.

I really want to love the movie, especially the DC, but Orlando Bloom just comes in and fucks it right the gently caress up everytime I let myself get sucked in but the other performances.

Ghassan Massoud played Saladin, right? Yeah, he rocked.

poo poo, now I know what I'm watching tonight.

• Locked thread