Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

As long as Mk3 stops me wishing that I'd been aborted whenever I face off against eHaley, then I'll want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Lofidelity Media posted:

Is there a reference I don't have to pay for to tell me before I buy a model? Is this information on Battlecollege?

Battlecollege will tell you who works for what faction, yeah. I even think if you go to their faction unit listings, at the bottom they have all the mercs and minions that work for that particular faction.

And I do think we'll get a Mk3 at some point, but not before we get a Remix version of the rules with things like Ranking Officers, Battle Engines, and Colossals in it. The way PP is adding huge things is going to require a restructuring at some point I think - that's just the nature of the beast.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

JerryLee posted:

I don't know anything about the history of WMH; was MkII released specifically because of things that needed fixing? I guess that'd be your answer to whether or not they'd release MkIII as a cashgrab.

From what I understand there were severe balance issues as well as rules problems as a result of assorted expansions adding more and more different types of models to the game. In particular warjacks had become extremely rare to see and infantry ruled supreme. Some infantry units in particular were way over the top and made it so that there was never any real reason to play anything else.

The way I understand it the purpose of MK2 was two-fold: To simplify the rules and fix some of the problems that had either been found after years of play or had been introduced by introduction of so many new units and model types(one of the important parts of this was taking all kinds of similar rules different units/models had and consolidate them down to a single ability that they would all share) as well as models that just had too complicated of rules(Covenant of Menoth), and a game-wide re-balancing effort supported by the MK2 playtest.

Unfortunately the argument can be made that their balancing efforts didn't quite come out the way they should have. Many of the former awesome ranged infantry got priced so high but had so many of their abilities removed they were no longer worth paying the points for(Reeves, Idrians), and a lot of warcasters who really needed toned down came out of it almost untouched(the Haleys and, well, all the Cryx casters frankly). The change of the point system also resulted in some units that are generally deemed to be between point values, better than what is at x point value but not good enough to be at x+1.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Mk2 came out because the rules were getting bloated, new abilities were getting broken, and a lot of unintended model interactions were going on. The rules rebuild fixed a ton of that. It took 8 years before that happened, so I wouldn't expect a Mk3 anytime soon. poo poo works fine right now, and the few erratas they put out fix most little things. I wouldn't mind a 2.5 where they maybe recost/reword some things that are overpowered/underpowered right now.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
I would love to see the cost of trenchers lowered at some point in the near future.
Why would I pay 10 points for Trenchers when I could pay 9 for Boomhowlers or 8 points for Forgeguard?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I think Theme Lists are the best way for PP to fix overpriced stuff like Reeves, Cephalyx, Trenchers, Kossites, and Assault Kommandos. They've sort of done it a few times (look at Zerkova's alt tier). It lets them limit combos, doesn't require any new SKUs, incentivizes magazine purchases, and pleases the base. Oh, and sells cool-looking models with horrific costs.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Do the colossals fit into a 4inch Army Transport foam tray, or am I going to be springing for KR or BattleFoam if I want that?

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

signalnoise posted:

Do the colossals fit into a 4inch Army Transport foam tray, or am I going to be springing for KR or BattleFoam if I want that?

120mm base is almost five inches wide. So yeah.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Okay guys, question. In general terms, how similar do Cryx and Legion of Everblight play? I don't know why I have it in my head that they're similar glass cannon rear end in a top hat factions when I know Cryx (usually) plays pretty infantry heavy and Legion (usually?) plays beast heavy, but that's something I can't quite shake.

I'm pretty set on Cryx as one of my two factions, partly because I already have some dudes and partly because they're just drat awesome looking. I also want to pick up a Hordes army at the same time, but I'm waffling between Trollbloods and Legion. Both of those factions seem pretty sweet both in terms of models and rules. Drunkard pyg eaters Trolls and Eyeless Sight cheating bastards Legion players, sell me on your factions!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cryx relies typically on debuffing the opposition to hit harder and rely typically on massed infantry barring a few individual warcasters. Legion rely on fast alpha strikes and positioning to win the day and typically play extremely warbeast heavy barring a few individual warlocks.

You should play Legion, harvesting the tears of the opposition is always a joy, especially if its Cryx players. (I know you said you play Cryx, but my god, dropping Saeryn on a Cryx player really butters my bread at times). Our Warbeasts are all fast as gently caress and ignore terrain on the way in. Plus the Angelius, Jesus Christ the Angelius.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Infantry horde vs beasts basically.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Lofidelity Media posted:

Since my friend wussed out on this idea, I'll give it to you: eschew ice and go fire. Make the warbeasts into some magma beasts. Layer reds/oranges/yellows for the flesh, then hit the armor plates with a rich black to make them look like spots of cooled igneous rock.

Like this, basically:

Great, now I've gone from kinda iffy on Legion to really loving excited. I hope you're happy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaintVagrant posted:

Also Legion has way more access to and way more support for lots of shooting, something Cryx just doesn't do outside of a couple of mercs that have guns.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Flipswitch posted:

Cryx relies typically on debuffing the opposition to hit harder and rely typically on massed infantry barring a few individual warcasters. Legion rely on fast alpha strikes and positioning to win the day and typically play extremely warbeast heavy barring a few individual warlocks.

You should play Legion, harvesting the tears of the opposition is always a joy, especially if its Cryx players. (I know you said you play Cryx, but my god, dropping Saeryn on a Cryx player really butters my bread at times). Our Warbeasts are all fast as gently caress and ignore terrain on the way in. Plus the Angelius, Jesus Christ the Angelius.
So is it a safe assessment that Cryx debuffs the hell out of the enemy, Trolls buff the hell out of themselves, and Legion is a bunch of cheating assholes alpha striking glass cannons?

PaintVagrant posted:

Infantry really isn't the main draw of this game for me. I want to have big rear end robots (or beasts) beating the poo poo out of each other. Unless I limit myself to a Mortenebra list, I guess I might need to start looking at other factions. I know Khador and Cryx are pretty infantry heavy. What about PoM and Cygnar? I know PoM gets their Choir to buff the crap out of their 'jacks, but do they take more than one or two at a time? Cygnar seems to be mostly merc infantry (:v:) and one or two of their character 'jacks, a lot like Khador/Cryx.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Pom and cygnar run jacks best, then everyone else is about the same level of not great at it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaintVagrant posted:

Pom and cygnar run jacks best, then everyone else is about the same level of not great at it.

Sure, but PoM still beats cygnar into the ground as far as running 'jacks is concerned. It's just that Cygnar 'jacks (at least, the ones worth taking) don't need much of any outside help in order to do their job well. You still won't have the resources to run a lot of them in the majority of lists.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

While we are talking about Cryx can someone give summary of there infantry? I play cryx but don't have any infantry at all. I know the banes rule but I'm also poor.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Saalkin posted:

While we are talking about Cryx can someone give summary of there infantry? I play cryx but don't have any infantry at all. I know the banes rule but I'm also poor.

Satyxis raiders and mechanithralls are the best infantry cryx has.
Yes, better than banes.
Why?
Satyxis can potentially jam into your opponent's deployment zone on turn one.
They're fast as gently caress, cannot be ignored, and if you bring the UA (which you always should) don't give a gently caress about blast damage.
McThralls however, can't do poo poo. That said, you drop enough debuffs on the enemy and your three point unit is suddenly swinging at an effective mat 8, str 8.

Basically, bane thralls are great and all, but they're really not as awesome as Satyxis or Mechanithralls. They're pricey, require their UA and a solo to reach their full potential, and everyone focuses fire on them. They're good, and they have their place, but it's surprisingly, not in every list.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I spent 3.5 hours tonight just painting with my Vallejo Liquid Gold - Old Gold ... and I feel like I got nowhere. Batch painting 20 Menite heavy infantry is a little on the crazy side.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
Is the PoM battlegroup box worth it? pKreoss is definitely a caster I want to purchase but I don't exactly know how useful the jacks in the box are.
If I get the battlegroup box I will probably go with pKreoss the 3 jacks, minimum choir and a vassal

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

dexefiend posted:

I spent 3.5 hours tonight just painting with my Vallejo Liquid Gold - Old Gold ... and I feel like I got nowhere. Batch painting 20 Menite heavy infantry is a little on the crazy side.

Have you played with these guys yet or are you waiting until you've finished painting them?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Eskarre is an insanely good jack caster. If you want to run cryx jacks you'll do great with Morty and eskarre all day long. Admonition, Perdition, Black Spot, Seas of Fate, and that goddamn feat!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Nightwatcher posted:

Is the PoM battlegroup box worth it? pKreoss is definitely a caster I want to purchase but I don't exactly know how useful the jacks in the box are.
If I get the battlegroup box I will probably go with pKreoss the 3 jacks, minimum choir and a vassal

Kreoss is good, the Repenter is good, the Revenger is good, and the Crusader isn't bad. I don't think you can go wrong with that as a start.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Nightwatcher posted:

If you can, you might want to get the Menoth half of the two-player box. The Cinerators aren't good but the Vanquisher is awesome and maybe you can negotiate your way into the kickass miniature rulebook. If not, you still have five heavy infantry to paint.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Aranan posted:

So is it a safe assessment that Cryx debuffs the hell out of the enemy, Trolls buff the hell out of themselves, and Legion is a bunch of cheating assholes alpha striking glass cannons?

Infantry really isn't the main draw of this game for me.

Well troll can run infantry heavy or light based on your preference, but your assessment is about right. Trolls start out a bit weaker than the mean, then bulk up to ridiculous levels. Also, trolls can take a hit. Really well. Every infantry is tough and most of them walk in at medium bases [good and bad] as their default size. When you can't kill certain targets on your alpha strike, trolls return the favour twofold and crush you. Then you have burrowers behind you and long riders at your flank and you're done for. If a troll player can screen you with a 6 point unit and block your charge lanes to any of their big troops, your alpha strike is meaningless.

Axe-to-mouth potential of Cryx: low.
Axe-to-mouth potential of Trolls: :dota101:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Have you played with these guys yet or are you waiting until you've finished painting them?

I'm just painting them. I paint a hell of a lot more than I play.

I am working towards Vindictus, Judicator, 10 Bastions, 10 Cinerators, Min Choir, Vassal, Mechanic, Wracks.

I think it would at least be fun to play! I also might try the list with Kreoss2 or Reznik. Iron Aggression seems pretty awesome for a colossal. Kreoss2's feat also seems like it will be insane.

(I am trying to paint these guys to my highest standard yet as well.)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Axe-to-mouth potential of Cryx: low.
Axe-to-mouth potential of Trolls: :dota101:

Rebuttal:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Manifest posted:

Satyxis raiders and mechanithralls are the best infantry cryx has.
Yes, better than banes.
Why?
Satyxis can potentially jam into your opponent's deployment zone on turn one.
They're fast as gently caress, cannot be ignored, and if you bring the UA (which you always should) don't give a gently caress about blast damage.
McThralls however, can't do poo poo. That said, you drop enough debuffs on the enemy and your three point unit is suddenly swinging at an effective mat 8, str 8.

Basically, bane thralls are great and all, but they're really not as awesome as Satyxis or Mechanithralls. They're pricey, require their UA and a solo to reach their full potential, and everyone focuses fire on them. They're good, and they have their place, but it's surprisingly, not in every list.

Sorry, but Banes actually reign supreme. Satyxis Raiders are great, (espeically with def buffs and/or backlash) but after the charge/mini feat turn you're swinging at mat 6 pow 8/9. Without those extra dice they have trouble actually killing poo poo once they're stuck in, and def 14 isn't going to save them. Witches are a whole differnt story, one that I don't have much experience with.

Bane Thralls are difficult to kill at range and will pretty much kill whatever you point them at. Knights die a lot easier, but have a longer threat range and go wherever you need weaponmasters to go thanks to ghostly.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

CaptCommy posted:

Great, now I've gone from kinda iffy on Legion to really loving excited. I hope you're happy.

This is exactly how I am going to do my Legion,

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

If you can, you might want to get the Menoth half of the two-player box. The Cinerators aren't good but the Vanquisher is awesome and maybe you can negotiate your way into the kickass miniature rulebook. If not, you still have five heavy infantry to paint.

It looks like the only difference between the 2 player box and the battlegroup is the cinerators. I already have the Prime Mk2 book and I'm familiar with the game, been playing Cygnar for a while now.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Nightwatcher posted:

It looks like the only difference between the 2 player box and the battlegroup is the cinerators. I already have the Prime Mk2 book and I'm familiar with the game, been playing Cygnar for a while now.

The two player box also has a Vanquisher in place of a Revenger.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

How exactly should I use the Repenter? I'm planning on it basically making a suicide run at their caster/infantry when the timing is right.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Omar al-Bishie posted:

How exactly should I use the Repenter? I'm planning on it basically making a suicide run at their caster/infantry when the timing is right.

I'd love to chime in with a grand strategy, but that's pretty much what I do. If fiery suicide runs are wrong then being right isn't a path I want to walk.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

The Aberrant posted:

Sorry, but Banes actually reign supreme. Satyxis Raiders are great, (espeically with def buffs and/or backlash) but after the charge/mini feat turn you're swinging at mat 6 pow 8/9. Without those extra dice they have trouble actually killing poo poo once they're stuck in, and def 14 isn't going to save them. Witches are a whole differnt story, one that I don't have much experience with.

Bane Thralls are difficult to kill at range and will pretty much kill whatever you point them at. Knights die a lot easier, but have a longer threat range and go wherever you need weaponmasters to go thanks to ghostly.
Satyxis are also good at killing castees softly. Basically, have 6 charge a Jack, all within half an inch. First one attacks with whip, second one CMAs with horns. Second one whips with the first one CMA her with their horns. It's like giving them Gang, really, and vastly helps them put damage on a Jack and therefore the caster.

Banes are great, but Satyxis are nasty if applied cleverly.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Nightwatcher posted:

It's a good learning point for the game. pKreoss is a competitive and very good warcaster with a solid ace up his sleeve, the warjacks in the box aren't too shabby, the Crusader won't see much use after long periods of play due to its lack of speed, but it's a great cheap beatstick. The Revenger I don't think I've ever used outside of the battlebox except for proxying as another Warjack, but the Repenter is solid gold.

Aranan posted:

Infantry really isn't the main draw of this game for me. I want to have big rear end robots (or beasts) beating the poo poo out of each other. Unless I limit myself to a Mortenebra list, I guess I might need to start looking at other factions. I know Khador and Cryx are pretty infantry heavy. What about PoM and Cygnar? I know PoM gets their Choir to buff the crap out of their 'jacks, but do they take more than one or two at a time? Cygnar seems to be mostly merc infantry (:v:) and one or two of their character 'jacks, a lot like Khador/Cryx.
Legion is pretty much a faction of glass cannons, if someone wants your warbeasts dead, it's very hard to stop them, but we hit so fast that we typically don't leave the opposition standing, barring the most extreme of targets. Menoth is a very Warjack heavy faction and it primarily lies from the fact our Warcasters aren't usually the source for their effectiveness, most PoM Warjack buffs rely in our support staff like Choir, Reclaimers and Vassals. Not to mention most Menoth Warjacks will wreck face with very little, to zero in some cases (looking at you Vanquisher).

The OP does state that Menoth warjacks go from average to rediculous with the Choir + Vassal and I never really appreciated it until I stopped using them. Holy gently caress do I miss my MAT8/RAT7 Heavies.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

It's a pretty good way to use it. I've also used the Repenter in pSeverius lists with various stacking damage buffs and sent waves of them at enemy heavies, all boosting damage. You'd be surprised how hard that Repenter hits with Eye of Menoth, Hymm of Battle, Ancillary Attack and Kiss of Lylyss. :v:

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

CaptCommy posted:

I've seen some good Legion painted red with bone colored plates, but the glowy magma colors sound pretty awesome. Go for it!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Tomorrow I'm going to take advantage of my job and grab the Khador/Menoth box for sixty-five bucks. :slick:

Now I get to buy paints and poo poo and watch my money go down the draaaaaaain.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Sweet, the guy I bought my minis from on ebay saved me the effort of removing the cards from the boxes. Now it'll be like an awesome treasure hunt where I complete a mini and get to figure out what it is I made!

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

That sounds like the best method of army creation. Just be like 'I want to run this guy, this guy, and that unit. Lets see what I picked and round out the points value with some solos'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

That's how I've been painting so far. That's why the first thing I painted was an OG Nomad figure. He looks so loving awesome. All I want is units that look awesome. What do you mean I have to run my Gorten Grundback to run my Driller?

• Locked thread