Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

I just picked up an AE-1 on Ebay last week and ran a roll of cheap Kodak gold through it. Any idea if my camera is causing these lines to appear on top?

Can you see the line on the actual negative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bottom Liner posted:

I just picked up an AE-1 on Ebay last week and ran a roll of cheap Kodak gold through it. Any idea if my camera is causing these lines to appear on top?

Looks like a piece of grit in the film transport somewhere. It doesn't look like a hot scanner pixel. Check your negative and see if there's a scratch visible in the finish.

Also, condolences on your purchase of a 35mm SLR that is not a Pentax ME.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Bottom Liner posted:

It looks like something's dragging across the film when you're advancing it. Is there something sticking out in the back that might be scratching the film?

EDIT: Crap, beaten.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

a foolish pianist posted:

It looks like something's dragging across the film when you're advancing it. Is there something sticking out in the back that might be scratching the film?

EDIT: Crap, beaten.

Not that I can see, no. I don't have the film with me now to check, but I looked in the camera under a good light and can't see anything that would have caused it. I'm assuming it could also be the cheapo Walgreens processing?

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

Bottom Liner posted:

... I'm assuming it could also be the cheapo Walgreens processing?

It's possible. I've had rolls of film come back from the local camera shop with ridiculously deep scratches that took forever to clean up digitally. I've had different kinds of scratches appear on two different rolls recently, so I'm pretty sure it's not something dragging along the film path. Poorly maintained minilab, perhaps? You could shoot a cheapo roll and try another lab.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Yeah that's a scratch, scanning artifacts would be straighter. Even if you don't see anything in the camera you should clean any bits that touch film. Frankly with 35mm the grit could have been in the light trap on the canister so there is no way of knowing exactly what did it. Just don't use the camera for anything important until you shoot a test roll (LOL important photos on 35mm).

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I wasn't paying attention and loaded a roll of Superia 200 thinking it was Portra 400 and shot it at 1600. Is this even going to be worth developing? :barf:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

aliencowboy posted:

I wasn't paying attention and loaded a roll of Superia 200 thinking it was Portra 400 and shot it at 1600. Is this even going to be worth developing? :barf:

Yes, for science.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

Push it to hell and back in b/w chemistry.

fail son rebate
Apr 10, 2007

Corruption is why we WIN !!
use paper developer.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Develop in tea or urine.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Push it to hell and back in tea and urine.

edit-- I guess you'd need some instant coffee and vitamin C in there too.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

The photo lab just called me and to make sure that I was retarded and I let them know that it was true.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh. The Freestyle plastic reusable film canisters are trash. The felt light seal isn't fixed to the opening in any way, just seems to be loged in there with pressure. I pulled one of the felt linings into the canister rewinding it.

Need to buy some proper metal reusable canisters.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Need to buy some proper metal reusable canisters.
What you need is an autoloading body and whiteboard tape.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

aliencowboy posted:

The photo lab just called me and to make sure that I was retarded and I let them know that it was true.

This is hilarious, can't wait to see these.

Tunnelman
Feb 28, 2010

aaag air flow

QPZIL posted:

edit-- I guess you'd need some instant coffee and vitamin C in there too.

I just developed some paper with that yesterday! It worked well, though it was just some paint can pinhole poo poo so I can't judge it too harshly. Unrelated: If I want to pick up some c-41 chemicals specifically to cross process e-6 with can I reuse them for a bit like I can with B&W stuff? What's the kind of difficulty level with that stuff anyways?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

The Noble Bird by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

rollei retro 80s is pretty nice, and if you have a lab develop it for you, their machine somehow makes it not curly so it's not an ordeal to get it into the film holder for scanning.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ
Great photo.

I tell them not to cut it usually, so mine are curly regardless. I usually flatten the strips I cut under 40-50lbs of books before I try scanning.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Tunnelman posted:

I just developed some paper with that yesterday! It worked well, though it was just some paint can pinhole poo poo so I can't judge it too harshly. Unrelated: If I want to pick up some c-41 chemicals specifically to cross process e-6 with can I reuse them for a bit like I can with B&W stuff? What's the kind of difficulty level with that stuff anyways?

Check out this:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2864270&userid=161579&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post389907786

It's very easy and can be done at room temp, but a sink full of hot water and some containers will do the trick.

As for the home cross processing, you might need to either pull the film (eg shoot 100 ISO film at 50) and develop as described in the instructions for the kit, or push process (which I wouldn't recommend as c41 and e6 are standardised processes, and its a bit hit and miss to successfully push process at home). But, check up on APUG or whatever to find out properly, I only remember reading about that in passing.

And you can can usually get 15 rolls or so out of a 1 litre kit.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
So uh. I've been drooling after getting a DSLR for a long time, but its a hobby I've put off a dozen times over because of the $ cost and just stuck to reading books and looking at cameras. Then today I was messing around on ebay and I ended up buying a Minolta X-370S along with a 28-70mm macro lens, RMC Tokina 80-200mm lens, and a soft case for $10.

I definitely lack the space to set up any sort of darkroom to do my own development and the only local camera place (a Ritz) shutdown a while back and isn't on the list of stores that might re-open. Are walgreens/CVS/Eckerds worth taking my film to be developed at? Or is there a site I can use to help me find other local film/camera shops?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

So uh. I've been drooling after getting a DSLR for a long time, but its a hobby I've put off a dozen times over because of the $ cost and just stuck to reading books and looking at cameras. Then today I was messing around on ebay and I ended up buying a Minolta X-370S along with a 28-70mm macro lens, RMC Tokina 80-200mm lens, and a soft case for $10.

I definitely lack the space to set up any sort of darkroom to do my own development and the only local camera place (a Ritz) shutdown a while back and isn't on the list of stores that might re-open. Are walgreens/CVS/Eckerds worth taking my film to be developed at? Or is there a site I can use to help me find other local film/camera shops?

You don't need a darkroom to do black and white development, just printing. All you need for developing is a changing bag to load film into a daylight-safe developing tank. You can then either scan the negatives yourself or have Walgreens/CVS/Eckerds do it for you.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

MrBlandAverage posted:

You don't need a darkroom to do black and white development, just printing. All you need for developing is a changing bag to load film into a daylight-safe developing tank. You can then either scan the negatives yourself or have Walgreens/CVS/Eckerds do it for you.

Awesome! Any suggested el-cheapo tanks/bags? A bit of basic searching leads me to JOBO for tanks and Bower for changing bags. the JOBO tanks seem expensive, but I'm not 100% on what exactly I'd need in a tank.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Awesome! Any suggested el-cheapo tanks/bags? A bit of basic searching leads me to JOBO for tanks and Bower for changing bags. the JOBO tanks seem expensive, but I'm not 100% on what exactly I'd need in a tank.

The JOBO tanks are for a rotary processor, you want just a simple manual tank:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/91216-Arista-Stainless-Steel-Tank-16-oz.-with-PVC-Top?cat_id=1603

and a couple reels

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/140135-Hewes-Pro-Stainless-Steel-Reel-35mm-Reel?cat_id=1603

You can get generic reels, but the Hewes are worth the extra cost IMO.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

eggsovereasy posted:

The JOBO tanks are for a rotary processor, you want just a simple manual tank:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/91216-Arista-Stainless-Steel-Tank-16-oz.-with-PVC-Top?cat_id=1603

and a couple reels

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/140135-Hewes-Pro-Stainless-Steel-Reel-35mm-Reel?cat_id=1603

You can get generic reels, but the Hewes are worth the extra cost IMO.

gently caress metal reels. Wide-flange plastic 4 lyfe.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

dukeku posted:

Word. Just make sure their nice and dry before attempting to load them.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

dukeku posted:

Came here to post this. If you've never developed film before don't use metal reels unless you want to hate yourself

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Ok, I'm going to grab some of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40287-REG/Paterson_PTP119_Auto_Load_Adjustable_Reel.html to use with the tank he suggested. All that leaves is to find a decent bag. :)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Ok, I'm going to grab some of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40287-REG/Paterson_PTP119_Auto_Load_Adjustable_Reel.html to use with the tank he suggested. All that leaves is to find a decent bag. :)

Just get this tank (it comes with the reels already) http://www.freestylephoto.biz/5041-Arista-Premium-Double-Reel-Developing-Tank-with-two-reels?cat_id=1603

and this bag http://www.freestylephoto.biz/322730-Arista-Changing-Bag-27-in.-x-30-in.

It's what I use and it's both a bag with plenty of room, and a tank that works really well.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Mr. Despair posted:

Just get this tank (it comes with the reels already) http://www.freestylephoto.biz/5041-Arista-Premium-Double-Reel-Developing-Tank-with-two-reels?cat_id=1603

and this bag http://www.freestylephoto.biz/322730-Arista-Changing-Bag-27-in.-x-30-in.

It's what I use and it's both a bag with plenty of room, and a tank that works really well.

That's actually the bag I'd pretty much chosen. Are plastic developing tanks the same as stainless? If it's a noticeable improvement to use stainless I'm ok with dropping the extra $ on stainless right off the bat since I got such a good deal on the camera.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

That's actually the bag I'd pretty much chosen. Are plastic developing tanks the same as stainless? If it's a noticeable improvement to use stainless I'm ok with dropping the extra $ on stainless right off the bat since I got such a good deal on the camera.

Stainless vs. plastic is a matter of personal preference - you load them slightly differently, as well. Since I never develop more than 2-3 rolls in an evening, I don't care about the fact that plastic reels have to be bone dry to avoid problems loading, and since I shoot 120 I appreciate how the plastic reels ratchet to load.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Instead of using a bag, I just wait until it's night time, go into a dark room, and climb under a blanket. It works just fine.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Wide flange! WIDE FLANGE! http://www.freestylephoto.biz/55043-Arista-Premium-Plastic-Developing-Reel

a foolish pianist posted:

Instead of using a bag, I just wait until it's night time, go into a dark room, and climb under a blanket. It works just fine.

C'mon, man, we're civilized here. Use a changing bag and don't risk it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

For the record that tank I linked should come with wide flange reels.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

dukeku posted:

C'mon, man, we're civilized here. Use a changing bag and don't risk it.

The blanket fort method is how I have always loaded reels.:colbert: I do use 3 or 4 blankets though.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

gently caress plastic, one tiny spot of imperceptible moisture and you wrinkle or tear your film. It's stupid.

Hewes reels are every bit as easy to load as a plastic reel.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
One of my 120 rolls came back from the developer like this:

img126 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

:( Is there any easy way to fix it?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

CarrotFlowers posted:

One of my 120 rolls came back from the developer like this:

img126 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

:( Is there any easy way to fix it?

Did the lab do the scanning? Those look like dirty calibration area artifacts. So if you did the scanning clean the glass and try again. Content aware heal can fix them but it's kind of a pain in the rear end.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

8th-samurai posted:

Did the lab do the scanning? Those look like dirty calibration area artifacts. So if you did the scanning clean the glass and try again. Content aware heal can fix them but it's kind of a pain in the rear end.

Yeah I was hoping it was the scanning, but I just scanned a roll before that so I looked at three negatives and it's definitely on the negatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Those lines look pretty straight, so using the healing brush in PS, click once JUST above the photo while being in the centre of the line like so:
code:
 o
----------------------
 |    |  |          |
 |    |  |          |
 |    |  |          |
 |    |  |          |
 |    |  |          |
And then hold SHIFT and click on the same line, but this time at the bottom of the photo. Do this for each line.

It might take a long time, but the result will be great.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 20, 2012