Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Is there any way to keep the one-handed animations for revolvers if you're using an animation replacer pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think it's bunk. If the game wasn't written to take advantage of Multi-core CPUs, DirectX 10 and 11, and other hardware, some tweaks in the .ini aren't going to do anything. A lot of those "performance tweaks" don't actually help, but confirmation bias makes people think they're netting a frame or two more.

Figured as much. Second minor question, what does the "Lings Pretty Things" esp do in Ling's Coiffure? I can't find any documentation on it.

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Figured as much. Second minor question, what does the "Lings Pretty Things" esp do in Ling's Coiffure? I can't find any documentation on it.

Turns existing NPCs into creepy nexus dolls. Do not install.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Found the time to look into the Arcade recruitment glitch that v1ld reported. As suspected, it was a bug on my end, but it was easily fixed. You can download the Follower Tweaks hotfix here.

Also, right on time to make CCO's merged patches, FNVEdit was updated to a new version at the beginning of the month. :getin:

Cirosan fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 20, 2012

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Cirosan posted:

Found the time to look into the Arcade recruitment glitch that v1ld reported. As suspected, it was a bug on my end, but it was easily fixed. You can download the Follower Tweaks hotfix here.

Also, right on time to make CCO's merged patches, FNVEdit was updated to a new version at the beginning of the month. :getin:

:swoon: Oh man now I need to hurry up and finish the run I'm on. I am the slowest at games. I mean I guess I can test gameplay changes and follower tweaks until then. Which, speaking of bug reports, I've been playing maybe 25 hours on a fresh game with those and I do not have any bug reports. There is this annoying thing where my companions seem to constantly be equipping and unequipping their weapons while standing around, but I'm pretty sure I've noticed other NPCs doing that too so assumed it was one of my other 5000 mods. I don't know if anyone else has experienced that?

Also, I've failed to mention this before, but followers tweaks is the goddamn poo poo and it's exactly what I wanted for this high CHA gangster run. It's fun as hell rolling around the Mojave with my crew without having them steal all my glory or die constantly. I find it weird that no other companion limit removers do it that way. I would even enjoy having their damage gimped further, but I can achieve that anyway but never giving them ammo. You're here for color commentary Cass, god drat it, I'M here to shoot ghoul heads.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

fentan posted:

Turns existing NPCs into creepy nexus dolls. Do not install.

Oh god, that's what I was afraid of. Some of the hair in the main mod is cool, but as I was going through the list... holy poo poo, why.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cirosan while your still here. I tested out some of the companion development features and for some reason every time I give Cass MacRae's Shotgun the game decides to kill itself. Probably because it can't handle the Fallout 2 reference. I barely could. Just thought I'd let you know. Here's my load order in case something is amiss with ME (which is probably the case).

Also there's some strange triggering on Lily's perk. For some reason I got it when I walked into Vault 21, which I'm pretty hyped about and all, but I noticed that wasn't the intention. ED-E's quest is working as advertised. I'll test out the other three's later.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

fentan posted:

There is this annoying thing where my companions seem to constantly be equipping and unequipping their weapons while standing around, but I'm pretty sure I've noticed other NPCs doing that too so assumed it was one of my other 5000 mods. I don't know if anyone else has experienced that?

I'm having this problem too, weapons disappearing every now and then. We could be fighting with people and then Victorias weapon would disappear, stopping her from firing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Is there a mod that allows you to recruit 2 human or 2 non-human companions? Further, is there a reason why it's not like that in the first place?

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Ariong posted:

Is there a mod that allows you to recruit 2 human or 2 non-human companions? Further, is there a reason why it's not like that in the first place?

Lots of them. CCO has a module that changes it to 1 companion (human or animal) for every 2 points of charisma, and adds a perk that ups the number of followers allowed by 1 for a theoretical max of 6.
http://ooccommunity.com/media/gamemods/cirosans-classic-overhaul/

There are multiple mods on the nexus that remove the cap entirely.
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/36211

Most mods that add new companions simply ignore the limit as well. As far as why, I'm sure you can blame gamebryo... having too many followers seems to get buggy.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 20, 2012

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Hobo on Fire posted:

Lots of them. CCO has a module that changes it to 1 companion (human or animal) for every 2 points of charisma, and adds a perk that ups the number of followers allowed by 1 for a theoretical max of 6.
http://ooccommunity.com/media/gamemods/cirosans-classic-overhaul/

There are multiple mods on the nexus that remove the cap entirely.
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/36211

Most mods that add new companions simply ignore the limit as well. As far as why, I'm sure you can blame gamebryo... having too many followers seems to get buggy.

I have a charisma of 4 at the moment, so that's basically exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks.

EDIT: Wait, wait, wait.

quote:

Followers now only do half-damage, but only take half-damage as well.

Nooooooooope. I'll just use the second one and limit myself to two, maybe three followers. Four at most. Five. We'll see.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 20, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ariong posted:

Nooooooooope.

It's actually one of the smarter changes you could make. Follower's aren't so loving overpowered, and they don't die so quickly in hardcore mode. They're still very useful, and it helps counterbalance high charisma characters who can recruit 3 or 4 of them.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah that is the best change in CCO Follower Tweaks. Reason being is that it makes choosing a follower more like choosing a perk/moderate damage increase and not just letting them mow poo poo down for you.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Okay, okay, I'm sold.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ariong posted:

You can find several of them on the nexus.
As for why: Game balance for one. If you have a big, well-equiped group pretty much all of the game's combat encounters become trivial. I did a run with Cass, Veronica, Rex & ED-E and found that more often then not the enemies were dead before I even noticed them. That and in tight spaces they're way more likely to get in your way and become a nuisance.
So unless you feel like sitting back and doing nothing, I wouldn't drag every single companion along.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/46302
Anybody have any experience with this? Just an .ini supposedly tweaked to take advantage of quadcore systems and other high performance stuff.
The multithreading tweaks won't increase performance. That said, they aren't completely useless. Enabeling some of them fixed some freezing issues on my system then. Then again, some people reported those tweaks actually caused freezing.
The increased buffersizes can help performance if you have the memory to support it. But again: increasing various buffersizes can cause crashing & freezing. GameBryo!

No ammount of .ini tweaking can enable dx10/11 feature seeing as the engine doesn't have any. But I suppose the increased draw distances can make the game look nicer.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Raygereio posted:

You can find several of them on the nexus.
As for why: Game balance for one. If you have a big, well-equiped group pretty much all of the game's combat encounters become trivial. I did a run with Cass, Veronica, Rex & ED-E and found that more often then not the enemies were dead before I even noticed them. That and in tight spaces they're way more likely to get in your way and become a nuisance.
So unless you feel like sitting back and doing nothing, I wouldn't drag every single companion along.

I understand why you can only bring 2. What I meant was why they have to be 1 human and 1 non-human, as opposed to 2 of the same type.

Unrelated, is there a way to force NPCs to equip items in their inventory? Because I don't see why this game is at all worth playing if my posse can't wear sunglasses.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Oh, sorry. Misunderstood your question.

Ariong posted:

Unrelated, is there a way to force NPCs to equip items in their inventory? Because I don't see why this game is at all worth playing if my posse can't wear sunglasses.
Companions will generally equip any armour in their inventory that has the highest DT and fits in an open slot. So as long as they aren't wearing any armor with DT that takes up the eyeglasses slot, they should automatically equip sunglasses.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Raygereio posted:

Oh, sorry. Misunderstood your question.

Companions will generally equip any armour in their inventory that has the highest DT and fits in an open slot. So as long as they aren't wearing any armor with DT that takes up the eyeglasses slot, they should automatically equip sunglasses.

Awesome. Thanks.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ariong posted:

I understand why you can only bring 2. What I meant was why they have to be 1 human and 1 non-human, as opposed to 2 of the same type.

Yes, actually, CCO will give you a token to use that will do just that.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
From what I understand, in vanilla NV it was decided to limit it to one human companion at a time because companions can consume a lot of memory and the consoles couldn't handle it. The non humans are easier on memory and poo poo, so they allowed you to bring one along as well. There's probably also balancing issues, too, though I find the memory thing entirely believable.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
Released the AK-47, get it while it's fresh:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/48392/

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Arenovalis posted:

Released the AK-47, get it while it's fresh:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/48392/

Looks awesome, downloading now. Are you planning on releasing a pack of all your weapons eventually?

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
Yea, when there's more stuff to warrant a proper pack

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I should probably get started on that, even if we don't release for a bit. Eh. :effort:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rabhadh posted:

I'm having this problem too, weapons disappearing every now and then. We could be fighting with people and then Victorias weapon would disappear, stopping her from firing.

Likewise. I'm seeing it with all but Veronica in Unarmed mode. Arcade, Boone, and, less occasionally, Cass will all forget how to wield their weapon at times or switch to melee when they have guns with plenty of ammo still available. I also see Boone and Arcade's weapons flicker on and off continually. IIRC, this was present on the console so it seems like a core game problem.

Veronica seems fine in melee mode, however, and is always in the thick of it with the Paladin Toaster.

One of the harder battles in the current run had Arcade peacing out in the midst of a Legion Assassin attack and just walking around. Quite frustrating.

Anyone know of a fix or possible cause?

On a loosely related note, just discovered that jsawyer fixes the Legion Assassin armor lists so you don't need an extra mod for that. Very cool.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I felt like playing this again, but when I start up FOMM, it crashes and gives me the following crashdump.

code:
Monday, September 17, 2012 - 7:35:36 PM
Fomm 0.13.21
OS version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Fomm.PackageManager.FomodBuilder.FomodFromSourceBuilder.BuildFomodFromSource(String p_strPath, NexusAPI p_nxaNexus)
   at Fomm.PackageManager.PackageManager.AddNewFomod(String p_strPath)
   at Fomm.PackageManager.PackageManager.addFOMODToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.PerformClick()
   at Fomm.Controls.SplitButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at Fomm.Controls.SplitButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Installing a new FOMM does nothing.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

And again, soon after you posted: FNVEdit 3.0.25 EXPERIMENTAL. They seem busy.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I felt like playing this again, but when I start up FOMM, it crashes and gives me the following crashdump.

Disabling login to nexus fixed it for me, though it's been a long while since I used FOMM. There's also this vid on switching back to FOMM from NMM.

NMM seems stable enough nowadays and I'm using it for the like 6-7 mods that actually use FOMM's scripting, almost all of which are by Gopher.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Another couple small questions. I'm playing with Ling's, and found a good hairstyle that I liked after wading through the anime ones (exactly like the "Wendy the Welder" one only with a frizzly ponytail), but putting any headgear on shaves my head. I don't recall hair disappearing with normal hairstyles, just getting... smaller? If that's the right way to put it.

Also, how do I screenshot while using the 4gb enabler? They aren't saved in Steam using it's screenshot, and adding the 4gb as a non-Steam app crashes on startup.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Another couple small questions. I'm playing with Ling's, and found a good hairstyle that I liked after wading through the anime ones (exactly like the "Wendy the Welder" one only with a frizzly ponytail), but putting any headgear on shaves my head. I don't recall hair disappearing with normal hairstyles, just getting... smaller? If that's the right way to put it.

If it wasn't done correctly, headgear will remove the hairstyle, leaving you with doll-like baldness. It's the author's fault, not you or your setup.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Also, how do I screenshot while using the 4gb enabler? They aren't saved in Steam using it's screenshot, and adding the 4gb as a non-Steam app crashes on startup.

They do save. You can upload to steam using the overlay while in game, or you can find where steam saves your screenshots, and poke around those folders for the NV ones.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Well that's disappointing, I love that hairstyle. Any way to fix it in FNVEdit? Or is there another hairstyle mod that is better? And if nothing else, how do I change my hair without starting a new game?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Well that's disappointing, I love that hairstyle. Any way to fix it in FNVEdit? Or is there another hairstyle mod that is better? And if nothing else, how do I change my hair without starting a new game?

There's gotta be a NPC barber somewhere in vanilla, or you can find some mod that has one. Or a console command. There's gotta be a console command.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

SpookyLizard posted:

There's gotta be a NPC barber somewhere in vanilla, or you can find some mod that has one. Or a console command. There's gotta be a console command.

You can become a King and go to Sergio. Tell him I sent you. He'll fix you right up.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You would have to edit it manually so that the hair won't disappear when you put on the hat. In addition, you'd also have to make it so that the hair doesn't clip too badly with the hat.

I had your exact problem and I gave this mod a whirl: Project Hair And Hats

It makes it so that hats don't make your character bald if you have custom hair. It has clipping issues depending on your hairstyle and clips differently with different mods. For example, if Hair A in Ling's hair pack clips badly, then Hair A in Mikoto's hair pack might clip better (despite the two hairstyles being identical).

There's also a more recent mod that claims to do the same thing: Project Hair With Hats (The "With" differentiates from the previous mod)

I haven't tried this mod because I got the previous mod to work well with a ponytail. Here's a picture:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Open console: 'showracemenu' and enter.

This will open up the controls for changing your appearance a la Doc Mitchell's house.

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009
Can anyone help me with turning healing with food back on? I had puce moose's tweaks on but I deactivated and deleted them with FOMM. It still classifies the food with sealed/spoiled/fresh though which is weird.

Edit: Woops, it's Project Nevada :downs:

JoeCool fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 21, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

RickDaedalus posted:

You would have to edit it manually so that the hair won't disappear when you put on the hat. In addition, you'd also have to make it so that the hair doesn't clip too badly with the hat.

I had your exact problem and I gave this mod a whirl: Project Hair And Hats

It makes it so that hats don't make your character bald if you have custom hair. It has clipping issues depending on your hairstyle and clips differently with different mods. For example, if Hair A in Ling's hair pack clips badly, then Hair A in Mikoto's hair pack might clip better (despite the two hairstyles being identical).

There's also a more recent mod that claims to do the same thing: Project Hair With Hats (The "With" differentiates from the previous mod)

I haven't tried this mod because I got the previous mod to work well with a ponytail. Here's a picture:

Appreciate the find, but not quite what I was looking for. I changed my hair back to the one I used to always use (Wendy the Welder), put on a pre-war hat, and my hair was still there, but all scrunched up. That is what I would like to fix. There has to be some kind flag to change in FNVEdit to use that specific change when certain hats are equipped, right?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Appreciate the find, but not quite what I was looking for. I changed my hair back to the one I used to always use (Wendy the Welder), put on a pre-war hat, and my hair was still there, but all scrunched up. That is what I would like to fix. There has to be some kind flag to change in FNVEdit to use that specific change when certain hats are equipped, right?

I don't believe it's that simple. For example, when I was throwing some hairstyles together in a simple pack, I ran into the same problem. Police Automaton indicated the Gamebryo handles hair meshes in some very dumb, roundabout way:

quote:

New Vegas' engine has a bug (No idea if that bug was also present in FO3) that makes it ignore .egm files of .nifs that are used by .esp addons that don't have a .bsa file. (wow, what a sentence) This means that in order to make .egm files actually function you need a .bsa (that can be completly empty) that has the same name as your .esp, for example:

test1.esp
test1.bsa

Only then will fallout actually load your .egm files.

Here's an empty bsa for you: http://db.tt/Vk54pzv9

This is not really relevant for you though, as .egm files only contain information to make the hair fit with the different headshapes. I don't think they are needed for hat/nohat. As for your problem, not sure. All you need is two meshes inside the .nif file, one named Hat, one named NoHat. You seem to have all that and the flags are correctly set also.

Inside the BSShaderTextureSet property, remove the trailing "\" from the paths to the textures, this is known to cause all sorts of problems. Example:

Don't write:
\textures\characters\hair\braids.dds

write:
textures\characters\hair\braids.dds

So, basically, it's not as simple as making sure a box is checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I see, thank you. Well no Lings then.