Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dread Head posted:

He has gone for gold in GBS.

Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514781

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Holy pano.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
I tried that long ago and got RF burn on my finger tips for my trouble :(

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Helmacron is massively entertaining.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

HeyEng posted:

Helmacron is massively entertaining.

I would make a forum that was nothing but his posts and quotes of his posts.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
After reading his post about climbing a crane, I'm fairly sure Helmacron is some sort of invincible genie prince.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Now I'm really sad. National Geographic chose one of my macro shots to print in their magazine. It's a focus-stacked shot of 30 source images. They just emailed me asking for my "camera raw, untouched, high res file" but I deleted all my source images. :(

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Get an undelete tool. Depending on how much data churn you have, those images are most likely still kicking around on your hard drive.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InternetJunky posted:

Now I'm really sad. National Geographic chose one of my macro shots to print in their magazine. It's a focus-stacked shot of 30 source images. They just emailed me asking for my "camera raw, untouched, high res file" but I deleted all my source images. :(

How can you have a single RAW file for a collection of 30 individual images?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

spog posted:

How can you have a single RAW file for a collection of 30 individual images?

Shift+select them all, add to compressed folder. :v:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

have you tried telling them that it's a focus stacked image made of 30 different files? that might be enough to get them to go "oh cool no worries"

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Paragon8 posted:

have you tried telling them that it's a focus stacked image made of 30 different files? that might be enough to get them to go "oh cool no worries"
Yeah. Hopefully they'll still print it.

"Thanks for sending this along, and for all the details for the image you submitted. I will let you know if we run it!"

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

that should be enough. the get the RAW thing is probably just a blanket thing they ask in general.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
death of film by Robert Burley. Some nice shots of demoed Kodak buildings.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ifixit.com did a teardown of a Nikon D600:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nikon+D600+Teardown/10708/1

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 8, 2012

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
So for those with pro-level SmugMug accounts, there's some (sorta) good news. After hearing all the complaints, they've decided to keep the ability to sell prints with all pro-level accounts. Before, if you wanted to continue selling prints you had to upgrade to the new "Business" account and pay twice as much for all the features you already had. So they've decided that all those who don't want to upgrade and instead stay with "Portfolio" accounts can still sell prints, you just lose every other feature that you were already paying for. Package printing, branded shopping carts, the ability to create discount coupons, etc.- all gone.

So yeah, sorta good news. I'm far less tempted to just ditch SmugMug all together now, but I'm still not 100% happy. :arghfist::(

SmugMug Brings the Ability to Price and Sell Prints Back to All Pro Accounts

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

That 70s Shirt posted:

So for those with pro-level SmugMug accounts, there's some (sorta) good news. After hearing all the complaints, they've decided to keep the ability to sell prints with all pro-level accounts. Before, if you wanted to continue selling prints you had to upgrade to the new "Business" account and pay twice as much for all the features you already had. So they've decided that all those who don't want to upgrade and instead stay with "Portfolio" accounts can still sell prints, you just lose every other feature that you were already paying for. Package printing, branded shopping carts, the ability to create discount coupons, etc.- all gone.

So yeah, sorta good news. I'm far less tempted to just ditch SmugMug all together now, but I'm still not 100% happy. :arghfist::(

SmugMug Brings the Ability to Price and Sell Prints Back to All Pro Accounts

These guys have me by the balls... At a time when I was selling more prints, I started hosting all of my blog images on SmugMug because Squarespace's interface was a pain in the rear end. My focus isn't really on selling prints any longer, and I don't sell nearly enough to justify the monthly cost of SmugMug, but moving hundreds of photos that are hotlinked on my site would be an enormous hassle.

(This isn't really their fault obviously, just my own recent frustration that happens to involve SmugMug.)

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Is a good architectural photo a beautiful photograph, or a photograph of beautiful architecture?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LApO_BDRE8M

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Got my hands on a Lytro: https://pictures.lytro.com/alpha/pictures/395613

Only pic of mine that my friend uploaded.

The LCD is completely unuseable, it's smaller than a postage stamp and looks really really bad even for what it is.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

David Pratt posted:

Is a good architectural photo a beautiful photograph, or a photograph of beautiful architecture?

Is this like the photography equivalent of bringing up declawing in Pet Island?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SoundMonkey posted:

Is this like the photography equivalent of bringing up declawing in Pet Island?

No, that would be buying a k-01.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

It's kind of a dumb question anyways because it's not like those things are mutually exclusive. You can have a beautiful photo of terrible architecture and vice versa.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

David Pratt posted:

there is no such thing as a 'beautiful photograph'. All photographs are terrible.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Augmented Dickey posted:

All my photographs are terrible.

Welp.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

nonanone posted:

It's kind of a dumb question anyways because it's not like those things are mutually exclusive. You can have a beautiful photo of terrible architecture and vice versa.

Yeah, basically this, which is true for anything that a camera has ever been pointed at.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crossposting an interview that the blog Deadspin got to have with Sports Illustrated photographer Neil Leifer (of the famous Ali knockout photo) about some of his favorite shots from the NFL. Worth a read.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

JosephStalinVEVO posted:

The LCD is completely unuseable, it's smaller than a postage stamp and looks really really bad even for what it is.

That's kind of cool.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

JosephStalinVEVO posted:

Seems like it's a neat toy now, but mostly a proof of concept. I'd love to see where it goes a few generations down the line.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone around here taken a camera to glass beach?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_Beach_(Fort_Bragg,_California)#section_1

Saw a couple pictures from it on google+ and it seems like a neat spot to spend some time.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I've been browsing ebay for old watches and I was pretty blown away by the photography in this listing. I mean, it's pretty standard product photography, but compared to the poo poo direct flash point and shoot photos and stock images that comprise 99% of the listings on ebay, I'm pretty impressed and I wonder how much impact the photos make on the final sale price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160923844857?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Does anyone know if anyone has ever done a study where they list identical items with one having poo poo photos and one having professional photos and then compare? I think that would be a fun experiment to do if I had any idea how to do product photography at all. I mean just looking at that watch, I know I would hate in person (gold, ew), but it looks gorgeous in those photos and I'd almost consider bidding if it wasn't already well past my price range.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I've been browsing ebay for old watches and I was pretty blown away by the photography in this listing. I mean, it's pretty standard product photography, but compared to the poo poo direct flash point and shoot photos and stock images that comprise 99% of the listings on ebay, I'm pretty impressed and I wonder how much impact the photos make on the final sale price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160923844857?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Does anyone know if anyone has ever done a study where they list identical items with one having poo poo photos and one having professional photos and then compare? I think that would be a fun experiment to do if I had any idea how to do product photography at all. I mean just looking at that watch, I know I would hate in person (gold, ew), but it looks gorgeous in those photos and I'd almost consider bidding if it wasn't already well past my price range.

OKCupid did a study about camera value for profile image vs. message responses. It was quite comprehensive (if someone can find it in the OKC blog). There were a couple weird outliers I seem to recall (use your Olympus DSLR for pics of ur swole abs or something).

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

OKCupid did a study about camera value for profile image vs. message responses. It was quite comprehensive (if someone can find it in the OKC blog). There were a couple weird outliers I seem to recall (use your Olympus DSLR for pics of ur swole abs or something).

Oh yeah, I read that and it was definitely interesting. Wouldn't mind reading it again if someone has the link handy.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

:google:

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/dont-be-ugly-by-accident/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Basically, just buy an iPhone instead of a new camera.

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006
I'm crying right now. I know I'm laughing, but it won't be long before the absolute despair hits. Thank you for this gem.

evil_bunnY posted:

Basically, just buy an iPhone instead of a new camera.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Menorah on Fire posted:

I'm crying right now. I know I'm laughing, but it won't be long before the absolute despair hits. Thank you for this gem.

f/8 and don't get a date

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006
alternatively, f/7.1 -- beauty's last stand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So basically people want mates who have as few of the gross human things that we all have visible as possible.

People may as well just commission people to do paintings of them looking swole as gently caress and killing a dragon because that's basically where photography is heading as a medium. People don't want images of themselves, they want images of who they want other people to think they are.

We created a tool capable of capturing us as we are, and we projected our own superficial ego-driven bullshit onto the art it creates. What value does it even have over digital painting if that's all it's going to become. If all people want is an imagined, digitally enhanced perfect image of how they wish they looked then why even pay people to take photographs.

I realize everyone here also realizes this. I am lamenting out loud.